UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
3:39pm

Mr Myers asks if the procedure for intubation would be different in a neonatal unit at 3am, compared to that in a lecture on a training dummy.
Dr Evans: "The procedure for intubating a baby would be the same."
"The atmosphere would be quite different?"
"No."
He adds the atmosphere might be different in an ambulance, for example.
Dr Evans says there is a "limit" to what you can learn from the videos.

3:40pm

Dr Evans: "What you have is, if you have a baby that requires resuscitation, by definition that is the sickest baby in the unit and requires treatment by the most experienced doctors and nurses."
Mr Myers: "I am talking generally. Would the atmosphere in a generally functioning unit, such as fitting a cannula, be different?"
Dr Evans: "Well of course it would."

12:30pm

The court is hearing from a list of agreed facts - ie, evidence agreed by the prosecution and defence.
The hierarchy of the Countess of Chester Hospital staff is being explained to the court.

Interesting as I’ve been wondering whether she had a line manager as such. No mention of her managers.

3:46pm

Mr Myers explains the role and clinical experience gained by a neonatologist by working in the unit, which can include "discussions with colleagues" and "variations in different patients and conditions".
Dr Evans agrees.
Sometime the differences can be "subtle", Mr Myers says.
Dr Evans says: "It can depend on each case."

3:56pm

Mr Myers details Dr Evans' CV and says his duties are shared between neonatology and pediatrician.
Mr Myers: "Would you agree you didn't have day-to-day sole experience [of neonatology] over a period of years?"
Dr Evans: "I don't really agree - I'll tell you why. We were where we were in the 1980s as neonatology, which was relatively new. Our generation was inspired to improve the services.
"Because there were so few consultants around, you had greater contact with babies than with 10 neonatologists.
"The other consultants deferred to my interests in neonatalogy development.
"My experience was huge.
"Our on-call system was one in four. I was on call every one in four weekends.
"In the 80s and 90s I was looking after neonatals in Swansea and Neath.
"My hands-on experience of developing neonatal experience is, I am more than happy to say, is as extensive as anybody's.
"I attended neonatal courses...You can attach labels all you want, but in terms of the neonatal experience is...extensive.
"I reckon I could intubate a baby today. It's like riding a bicycle.
"I am very happy with my neonatal experience, expertise and background."

I've thought about that note overnight and am struck by how many people have just assumed she wrote it in anguish or despair, because that's what the defence have said or they relate it to personal circumstances.

No one know what state of mind she was in. Like John Worboys, she could have been plotting out her excuses for WHY she killed them because:
  1. (Remorseful defence) on purpose, I am evil
  2. (Self pitying defence) because i'm not good enough to care for them, I will never have kids/marry
  3. (Indignant defence) I haven't done anything wrong
  4. (Blame defence) Police victimisation, slander, discrimination
  5. Feelings to demonstrate to police depending on which defence is used - I can't breathe (Remorseful), I don't deserve to live or deserve mum and dad etc (Self pitying), Why me (indignant), panic/fear (blame)
Writing on a post it note with doodles of a cat shows me she wasn't that anguished. Because you have to really concentrate on getting everything into a teeny tiny post tit. When you're anguished, it's not easy to focus in that way. Also the pen pressure looks different so it looks like it was written at different times. Why return to the same note unless she was just updating her ideas and wanted it in one place. She was methodical, we know this from how she writes down everything, so it makes sense that she wanted everything on one post it if they were all linked thoughts - all linked to her defence excuses.

I''m very curious to see what other notes they found at her home.

I do feel she has a more calculating air about her because she messaged people to say she was bored, unfulfilled, days were slow - just after babies had died on her watch! Then got defensive (as per messages) when she was being questioned by a senior consultant - surely you'd expect to be questioned if you've been present at all the unexplained incidents.

Also the very methodical notes on understanding who made allegations and what was the evidence. She didn't crack at interview and knew how to evade questions even in 2020. She strikes me as someone calm, collected and analytical not hysterical.

MOO.

The notes, to me, sound like the kind of notes I take when talking to somebody on the phone. Jotting down questions and key phrases. If, for example, a lawyer friend had said “as far as the press is concerned you are evil, you did this” I might have summed that up with “I am evil, I did this”.

Totally speculative but an example of how flimsy this type of evidence is.

Between that and the fact I never delete any photos from my phone’s camera roll, I suspect you could frame me for several murders by this standard of evidence!

MOO

3:59pm

Mr Myers: "This case has involved you in a great deal of neonatology.
"That hasn't been the case before, has it?"
Dr Evans: "It has, actually. In clinical negligence, a lot of the cases invovled babies.
"I have kept fully up to speed with neonatal practice."

The notes, to me, sound like the kind of notes I take when talking to somebody on the phone. Jotting down questions and key phrases. If, for example, a lawyer friend had said “as far as the press is concerned you are evil, you did this” I might have summed that up with “I am evil, I did this”.

Totally speculative but an example of how flimsy this type of evidence is.

Between that and the fact I never delete any photos from my phone’s camera roll, I suspect you could frame me for several murders by this standard of evidence!

MOO
Yes, this could be a reasonable explanation too, and why we certainly need more context.

4:03pm

Mr Myers: "Would you agree the optimal position would be current clinical practice?"
Dr Evans: "I think the important thing is clinical experience.
"You develop your professionalism through the whole of your career. You do not spend the whole of your 40 years attached to an exclusive clinical scenario."
Myers: "Clinical practice evolves over years."
Dr Evans: "It does."
M: "If you are not in practice, you are at a disadvantage?"
DrE: "No - you don't simply forget, the day you finish."
M: "I am not suggesting you have forgotten, but if new approaches are made -"
DrE: "If you can tell me of any new approach, then do so, but babies...do not change in the approach of their conditions, and that has not changed in the past 10 years."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1