UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nearly a week into this potentially six-months long trial, and I'm feeling mentally tired reading about it. And I'm at home, comfy and sitting on a sofa.

Goodness knows what the jurors and the parents of the babies are enduring. Heart goes out to them.

Nearly a week into this potentially six-months long trial, and I'm feeling mentally tired reading about it. And I'm at home, comfy and sitting on a sofa.

Goodness knows what the jurors and the parents of the babies are enduring. Heart goes out to them.
It's clearly taking a toll on the jury as two have already gone. Although that could be for a variety of reasons.

2:35pm

The process of getting 'aspirates' from the stomach, via a naso-gastric tube, is also explained to the court.
Dr Dewi Evans says it is important for the stomach to be empty, prior to a next feed for a baby, as the presence of milk aspirate could suggest problems with that child.

2:39pm

The video demonstrates that any aspirate found has a 0.5ml sample checked for pH levels.
Dr Evans explains the syringe used is purple in colour - it is a syringe only used for naso-gastric tube, and cannot be used for IV feeds - you cannot be used to inject milk into a vein, for example, as the shape is different.

2:44pm

The video played to the court says action can be taken by medical staff to withdraw air from the baby's tummy if the abdomen becomes distended.
Dr Evans says 'free drainage' means the naso-gastric tube (NGT) is left in the stomach, the other end is left open, so if any air is in the stomach, it can escape through the NGT.

I was thinking a lot last night about the decision of the court to release the note. The more I think about it the more surprised I am by it. To be honest I'm quite shocked and a little alarmed about it.

A court choosing to release evidence during the course of a trial is, as far as I'm aware, unprecedented in Britain. Moreover, it was done at an extremely early stage. You could say that it isn't even evidence yet as it is only something which the prosecution has mentioned in it's opening statement.

The note has not been tested in court, by which I mean, there has been no critical examination of it by the defence as they have had no opportunity to question when it was written; where it was written; why it was written; under what conditions it was written or, indeed, the mental state of LL when she wrote the various parts of it.

What would the situation be if at some point three months down the line some question as to the nature or validity of that evidence were raised and it was decided that the prosecution were not going to/could not use that item for whatever reason? How could that not be considered as anything other than highly prejudicial to a fair trial?

At the point at which is was released we were three days into a potential six month trial and we are already two jury members down. There is a very reasonable chance that this trial may have to be abandoned at some point, perhaps after several months, and a new one started. How could any future court consider such evidence not to be potentially highly prejudicial to a fair trial when it has been raked over in the public domain for weeks and weeks?

We are constantly reminded of potentially severe penalties for publishing things which could amount to Contempt of Court and, hence, could prejudice the administration of justice. Yet, it almost seems like the Court itself is doing precisely the things the law is saying should not be done!

I've said on several occasions that this whole story has been one mind blowing surprise after another - I do wonder what on earth the next one is going to be!

2:52pm

The court is now hearing the definition of the term 'NEC', pronounced as 'neck' "in the business", a gastro-intestinal disease in the small intestine.
Dr Evans says the causes can be poor blood flow, as a result of infection. Sometimes it can appear "without being sure why".
"The sicker the baby, the greater the risk," Mr Evans tells the court.
Other symptoms are 'a bit' of adominal distension, bile aspirates and blood in the stool. Early diagnosis is important to lower the need for surgery.
The prosecution says NEC will be referred to a lot in the course of the trial.

2:55pm

One of the reasons for this is some of the babies may not "tolerate" surgery.
The court hears NEC is a "serious" medical emergency.
The prosecution says if symptoms are detected, they treat swiftly.
"And properly," Dr Evans adds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member