VERDICT WATCH UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #30

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

0:38 seconds in - an enormous media presence.

Please, please, please let the end be in sight. It’s so easy to lose sight of the fact, that at the heart of all this are 17 bereaved & heartbroken families. For some of those families, it’s been over 8 years - 8 YEARS of pain, grief & anguish. Every single one of them deserve answers & justice for their beautiful little babies.
I do not think anyone has been unaware of this - and the jury rather more than us keyboard vigilantes - but it would be far worse to rush and get it wrong.

Out of interest, does anybody know what happens in the instance of a hung jury on all/some charges?

If/when the jurors come to a unanimous/majority verdict on all charges - they’d inform the judge, reconvene in court and then announce each verdict.

With a hung jury - do they just have to continue deliberating until such times the judge intervenes? Then a hung jury is just announced?

What happens in the instance they’re maybe agreed on most of the charges, but cannot agree on some? How much time does the judge give it until accepting the verdicts on those they’ve agreed on and a hung jury on the others? Days? Weeks? Months?!

Out of interest, does anybody know what happens in the instance of a hung jury on all/some charges?

If/when the jurors come to a unanimous/majority verdict on all charges - they’d inform the judge, reconvene in court and then announce each verdict.

With a hung jury - do they just have to continue deliberating until such times the judge intervenes? Then a hung jury is just announced?

What happens in the instance they’re maybe agreed on most of the charges, but cannot agree on some? How much time does the judge give it until accepting the verdicts on those they’ve agreed on and a hung jury on the others? Days? Weeks? Months?!
In the extract from the CCC I posted above, it says that after a further time in retirement the judge can issue a Watson direction which tells them that if they (10 of them) can't reach agreement they must say so.

There is no set time in the law, a view would be taken based on the case.

Realistically he wouldn't leave them for weeks and months, IMO. I think end of next week would be tops. But even then they would be able to say, if they wanted to, that they need extra time and that agreement is still a possibility.

JMO

In the extract from the CCC I posted above, it says that after a further time in retirement the judge can issue a Watson direction which tells them that if they (10 of them) can't reach agreement they must say so.

There is no set time in the law, a view would be taken based on the case.

Realistically he wouldn't leave them for weeks and months, IMO. I think end of next week would be tops. But even then they would be able to say, if they wanted to, that they need extra time and that agreement is still a possibility.

JMO
Thank you tortoise! I knew you’d provide the goods lol. You are an endless supply of knowledge :D

I read back on the previous information you had provided regarding taking partial verdicts - it seems the judge could have recorded guilty/not guilty verdicts for some charges already, but they would not be reported on until all verdicts are returned. Am I reading that correctly?

Thank you tortoise! I knew you’d provide the goods lol. You are an endless supply of knowledge :D

I read back on the previous information you had provided regarding taking partial verdicts - it seems the judge could have recorded guilty/not guilty verdicts for some charges already, but they would not be reported on until all verdicts are returned. Am I reading that correctly?
It's a possibility.

Imagine if you were a juror, looking at each of the charges individually. Suppose you found the prosecution evidence to be convincing for certain charges, but for others there's an element of doubt, because you didn't think the prosecution presented overwhelmingly convincing evidence.

Then for each of the 11 jurors, there are different combinations of doubt and certainty.

It could get quite messy and confusing.

Kinda stating the obvious, lol.

After the majority direction yesterday I felt certain we’d get the verdicts today. Now it feels like best case scenario they are hung on one or two charges. Worst case scenario, doesn’t bear thinking about.

Imagine if you were a juror, looking at each of the charges individually. Suppose you found the prosecution evidence to be convincing for certain charges, but for others there's an element of doubt, because you didn't think the prosecution presented overwhelmingly convincing evidence.

Then for each of the 11 jurors, there are different combinations of doubt and certainty.

It could get quite messy and confusing.

Kinda stating the obvious, lol.

All possible. They're under so much individual pressure to get things right because of what's at stake here.

I'd rather a hung dury where majority can't be reached than one reached as a result of pressure put on a juror to change his/her mind. They all need to be able to leave there knowing they were true to what they believed.

Presumably when they arrive and leave each day, they see the press pack. And will see the extra attendance today. As they aren't allowed to research, that alone gives them a pretty clear idea of how significant their verdicts are

Keeping my thoughts with the victim's families as this stretches on. The jurors are people who just want to get it right for the babies. I can't imagine their burden right now and for the rest of their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member