GUILTY UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, murder of babies, 7 Guilty of murder verdicts; 7 Guilty of attempted murder; 2 Not Guilty of attempted; 6 hung re attempted #31

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly so. For me, the principle still stands, whatever the cause. Juries should be questioning every possible evidential anomaly. I’m baffled that in this particular case so few questions have apparently been asked. JMO.
I'm not, to be honest. The jury has asked a few questions and on some occasions have been knocked back by the judge. I think they realise now that it's not their place to be asking for clarifications on whats been said or to be given extracts of the evidence, etc. If they don't understand something they can't ask for a witness to clarify or add to their evidence.

I'm not really sure what sort of questions they could ask, tbh. The evidence is the evidence and has been presented to them. That's what they have available to make their decisions on.

I wonder whether we will get the judge asking as to progress today if there is no result by close of play today?
I'd venture a guess at this stage that they've been delivering verdicts in dribs and drabs and there is a reporting restriction in place. Reason is that I don't think a judge would leave a jury he thought was struggling, eg perhaps not understanding something fundamental, or at deadlock.

I think there would be a reporting restriction in a case like this, so that there is no impression created as to which cases were quicker to deliberate. But it's just a hunch, nothing more.

Plus there was that new court sketch of Letby recently which adds to my suspicion that the artist was in court long enough to study her. :D

I'd venture a guess at this stage that they've been delivering verdicts in dribs and drabs and there is a reporting restriction in place. Reason is that I don't think a judge would leave a jury he thought was struggling, eg perhaps not understanding something fundamental, or at deadlock.

I think there would be a reporting restriction in a case like this, so that there is no impression created as to which cases were quicker to deliberate. But it's just a hunch, nothing more.

Plus there was that new court sketch of Letby recently which adds to my suspicion that the artist was in court long enough to study her. :D
Do they allow that, though? I was under the impression that they all got released together. Yes, you can put a reporting restriction in place but the longer things drag on for the more chance of things coming out.

If they were returning verdicts one or two at a time then it would surely be better simply to let the judge know rather than announce it in open court if secrecy were required?

Do they allow that, though? I was under the impression that they all got released together. Yes, you can put a reporting restriction in place but the longer things drag on for the more chance of things coming out.

If they were returning verdicts one or two at a time then it would surely be better simply to let the judge know rather than announce it in open court if secrecy were required?
I don't think you would find any journalists prepared to defy a court reporting ban. I suspect the public would be excluded from the court and video link. I suppose that's another possibility, that they are updating the judge with their progress without naming the cases. Either way, I think he is keeping tabs on them and not leaving them floundering with no agreement over anything at this stage. JMO

I completely agree (for what it's worth). And the increase in media may be because they know there are only a handful left to be announced, then the reporting restriction is lifted

I completely agree (for what it's worth). And the increase in media may be because they know there are only a handful left to be announced, then the reporting restriction is lifted
That day was awfully weird when Sky had rolling reporting of a large media presence outside court going on all day. And then a few papers inexplicably put up a schedule of all the charges.

If this is the case would it mean that the media all know several of the verdicts now, or that they just know there have been verdicts but don't know what the verdicts are?

I think last Fridays delayed start was when verdicts were heard. The complete radio silence from all social media channels was telling. You would expect them to tweet "not sure why court is delayed today" etc...but noone did. Until 12pm, bam, they all tweeted pretty much the same statement.

I think last Fridays delayed start was when verdicts were heard. The complete radio silence from all social media channels was telling. You would expect them to tweet "not sure why court is delayed today" etc...but noone did. Until 12pm, bam, they all tweeted pretty much the same statement.
I'm not sure. I seem to recall the judge saying that he was dealing with "another matter" (or words to that effect) which tends to suggest something other than this case.

I doubt verdicts would have been heard more like agreement on x amount of charges but just another x amount left.imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot