GUILTY UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, murder of babies, 7 Guilty of murder verdicts; 7 Guilty of attempted murder; 2 Not Guilty of attempted; 6 hung re attempted #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did she only start in 2015? What happened to trigger her? Was there a trigger? Or did she just get a God complex, the more experience she had.

We don't know if she did only start in 2015!. Police are now looking at over 4000 babies that she had contact with over her whole career and have said there were some deaths amongst those babies.

Did you also read the times article where it said they were going to offer her a transfer to Alder Hay and also fund a masters degree or higher nurse education for her due to her being bullied ?

I couldn’t believe my eyes…
I'm sure at that point, it must have seemed like the lengthy complaint process and benching was going to be worth it, for her.

MOO

At one point consultants said they would only agree to her return if the hospital installed CCTV throughout the unit at the Countess of Chester Hospital.
I wondered why they hadn't done that - and it should be done. No doubt there will be some Management argument that it would be intrusive for patients.

Dr Gibbs, who has since retired, said he remembered feeling 'uncomfortable' when he came into the unit on June 23, 2016, to find Baby O dying after an unexplained collapse.

'I thought "Oh no, not another one",' Dr Gibbs explained.

'I'd become increasingly concerned about the unusual, unexplained and inexplicable collapses that had been happening on the neonatal unit and the fact that Staff Nurse Letby had been involved in all of them.'

He told Ben Myers KC, defending, the collapses were unique events 'that I'd never seen before in my career'.

Dr Gibbs continued: 'Medicine could never be an exact science and there were occasions when doctors were unable to find an explanation for a patient's demise.

'But this was happening again and again on our unit and that can't just be coincidence or bad luck. There had to be a cause.

Dr Gibbs said: 'After the deaths of (Baby) P and (Baby) O, and regrettably, tragically, too late for them, safety measures were introduced.

'One that was introduced was that Staff Nurse Letby was removed from the unit.

'It was not a simple, straightforward procedure because a month later they met with us and told she should come back. We said that should only happen if we had CCTV in every room on the unit.

'Over the next 11 months we had to resolutely resist repeated attempts by management to have Staff Nurse Letby come back to the unit.'

I'm sure at that point, it must have seemed like the lengthy complaint process and benching was going to be worth it, for her.

MOO
That was actually a seriously clever move. To file a complaint just when you're about to be caught - and start that bureaucratic process and have back up for it. Looking like the victim.

Thanks for this info.

So,
Police was informed by Consultants.
I read in other reports that it was CEO Tony Ch. who contacted the Police asking them to investigate.

Interesting.
According to this article, after executives wanted to draw a line under everything and get her back on the ward, consultants demanded police be contacted and the executives eventually agreed.

However, trust sources said that in early 2017 executives wanted to “draw a line” under the investigations and told the doctors Letby should return to ward duties. Minutes of a public board meeting in February 2017, quote chief executive Tony Chambers as saying: “The independent case review highlighted some areas for improvement but did not identify a single causal factor or raise concerns regarding unnatural causes.”
Several months later, after further reviews, sources said the consultants demanded the police be contacted, which executives eventually agreed to

ETA this one too

Dr Brearey says he felt managers were trying to "engineer some sort of narrative" that would mean they did not have to go to the police. "If you want to call that a cover-up then, that's a cover-up," he says now.

Managers also ordered two of the consultants to attend mediation sessions with Letby, in March 2017. One of the doctors did sit down with the nurse to discuss her grievance, but Dr Brearey did not.

Yet, the consultants didn't back down. Two months after the apology, the hospital asked the police to investigate. It was the consultants who had pushed them into it.

Dr Brearey and his colleagues finally sat down with Cheshire Police a couple of weeks later. "They were astonished," he says. The next day, Cheshire Police launched a criminal investigation into the suspicious baby deaths at the Countess of Chester Hospital. It was named Operation Hummingbird.

Last edited:

NMC responds to verdict in Lucy Letby trial​

Published on 18 August 2023

Please see our statement below.

Andrea Sutcliffe, Chief Executive and Registrar at the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), said:
“First and foremost, our thoughts and sympathies are with the parents and families whose lives have been so terribly impacted by these heinous and heart-breaking crimes.
“This has been a long, complex criminal investigation. We’ve kept in close contact with the police and the trust throughout, and will continue to do so.
“Ms Letby remains suspended from our register, and we will now move forward with our regulatory action, seeking to strike her off the register.”

My apologies if this was already but this floored me. From the UK times: “

“When doctors warned that she might be a killer, hospital bosses took her side — offering to support her with a master’s degree and find her a role at a top children’s hospital.

I disagree. If she was found to have been Googling about air embolism, or insulin poisoning or whatever at the time she was committing these crimes or before, then I think that would have carried a lot of a weight for many many people looking at this case.

Yeah. In summary, if a killer conveniently leaves glaring evidence of their guilt, then that would be a "smoking gun", I suppose.

But many cases are not like that.

My apologies if this was already but this floored me. From the UK times: “

“When doctors warned that she might be a killer, hospital bosses took her side — offering to support her with a master’s degree and find her a role at a top children’s hospital.

The article was linked earlier but I still can’t read it unfortunately as it’s behind a paywall.

Thanks , I just read it.
Unfathomable even at close quarters.
I agree.

I wonder how she'll cope in prison?
probably tantrum after tantrum about absolutely everything.

It would be tempting to suggest she dissociated while she was killing but I don't believe she did unless she maintained the dissociation in the months following when she stalked the families on social media.

I think I'll just stop trying to figure her out.
She was enabled and that is all too clear and it's time to appropriate that blame where it belongs.

She could not have done it otherwise.
i've worked in very big hospitals and small hospitals and clinics and if the same nurse was calling emergency more than once, everybody would know and she or he would be watched..

This whole lack of responsibility is jaw breaking.

The detailed timeline and Tony Chambers' "detailed" reply lacked the one detail I was specifically looking for.
Did Letby's married friend-but-not-boyfriend attend any of the senior executive meetings post June 2016? Did this senior registrar put in a good word for his friend-but-not-girlfriend? Dr. NoName needs to have his texts sent to Letby during the hospital's internal investigation of baby deaths reviewed for conflict of interest, disclosure of confidential information, professional impropriety leading to serious harm and death of patients. GMC = Medical Board where dereliction of professional duty, if not gross negligence, are reported, right?

From the article:
"The sources claimed the consultants were told there would be consequences if they refused to work with Letby, as it could leave them open to a GMC referral."

Sounds like extortion to me. MOO.

Letby's childhood friend:

She told me she’d had quite a difficult birth herself and was quite poorly, and I think that’s affected a lot of her life.

‘She feels that’s what she was called to do – to help children who might have been born in similar circumstances.’

I would not be at all surprised if she has absolutely no idea herself why she did any of it.
The biggest clue we have is when she wrote it was because she wasn't 'good enough.'

“I killed them on purpose because I’m not good enough [to care for them]"

when you look at the note it appears that the sentence continues with 'to care for them'

I guess it is up to interpretation what she means by 'to care for them' Some say she meant she was incompetent as a caregiver. But I don't think that she believes that. I think she believes she is an excellent nurse.

I think she meant she doesn't really care about them. And she killed them on purpose because she is not 'good enough' ---caring enough, compassionate enough, to really care about the babies and their families. She said 'I Am Evil.

newFile.jpg

The biggest clue we have is when she wrote it was because she wasn't 'good enough.'

“I killed them on purpose because I’m not good enough [to care for them]"

when you look at the note it appears that the sentence continues with 'to care for them'

I guess it is up to interpretation what she means by 'to care for them' Some say she meant she was incompetent as a caregiver. But I don't think that she believes that. I think she believes she is an excellent nurse.

I think she meant she doesn't really care about them. And she killed them on purpose because she is not 'good enough' ---caring enough, compassionate enough, to really care about the babies and their families. She said 'I Am Evil.

newFile.jpg
Good point.

In case you are curious as well, on this page there’s a video of where Lucy will be staying About the prison

found the info about her likely prison here: What prison life will look like for Lucy Letby with no hope of parole
LL is going to this prison which has (quoted from link provided above

'We also provide a 17 bed healthcare facility, a care and separation unit and a mother and baby unit for 12 women and 13 babies up to the age of 18 months.'

Does every prison have mother and baby units?

LL is going to this prison which has (quoted from link provided above

'We also provide a 17 bed healthcare facility, a care and separation unit and a mother and baby unit for 12 women and 13 babies up to the age of 18 months.'

Does every prison have mother and baby units?
How long before she asks to be allowed 'to help' with the infant care? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member