GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most media folk are good decent types who refuse to sensationalize. However, we have all seen a few random cases where this is not so, and it has had devastating consequences for innocent people. With this case, and all others, I always remind myself to stick to the facts and not demeanor, innuendo, or gut instinct. What appears likely can often not be. Just because someone is quirky or not social inept does not equate to being a perpetrator. Good for you for sorting this out, and not falling prey to sensationalism.
And welcome!
:daisy:
Thank you *advertiser censored*
My mum was missing for a single week, I was beside myself, I can't put it into words, I didn't sleep, my mind was fried, I couldn't do anything, it was like no other hell I had ever experienced, I can't imagine, had the police not found her and it needed to go to appeal, how people would have looked at our family at that exact time, my parents relationship dynamic and what they would have concluded, what instant gut impression they would have made about me. I'm so on pins with missing people because of that experience. I wish people didn't ever go missing.

You have a unique perspective Beccy, and I'm so glad you are on WS. You can help people with your real life experience!

Much love and hugs,
Aunt Roses

Yes they need a warrant and the process in the UK is similar to the one you describe. They would not need a warrant if they were given permission to search but may get one any way in order to ensure that any evidence gathered is submissible.

Hi all, this is the first time I've logged in for this case as haveny really felt I've had anything useful to add.

I just wanted to comment that the police can search without a warrant. To do so they just have to arrest someone at their home address as they are allowed to then search the property they arrested someone on. It is detailed in an Act called PACE. It is one of the reasons people are often arrested first thing in the morning at home as it means they can they search the premises

A quick question as I am not familiar with British Law. In Canada and the US, prior to searching a home or vehicle etc. etc., LE must have a search warrant and to get that warrant from the court, LE must provide probable cause, and/or, evidence to back up their request. Is it the same in Britain?

In the UK we need 'reasonable suspicion', which is actually a slightly lower standard of proof.

I once saw some True Crime show featuring a US case where a husband reported his wife missing, when her body was actually in a barrel in his garage. The local US police expressed their frustration at their inability to search the premises (the husband refused permission) without probable cause, and had to wait some time until they found some tangible evidence that showed that the wife had met with foul play before they could get a warrant.

In the UK, our local police would have just got a warrant straight away purely on the basis that the woman was missing and that was enough.

Hi all, this is the first time I've logged in for this case as haveny really felt I've had anything useful to add.

I just wanted to comment that the police can search without a warrant. To do so they just have to arrest someone at their home address as they are allowed to then search the property they arrested someone on. It is detailed in an Act called PACE. It is one of the reasons people are often arrested first thing in the morning at home as it means they can they search the premises

It would be s18 PACE 1984 - Entry and search after arrest - "a constable may enter and search any premises occupied or controlled by a person who is under arrest for an indictable offence, if he has reasonable grounds for suspecting that there is on the premises evidence, other than items subject to legal privilege, that relates to that offence"

P.S. indictable offence = felony (more or less)

It would be s18 PACE 1984 - Entry and search after arrest - "a constable may enter and search any premises occupied or controlled by a person who is under arrest for an indictable offence, if he has reasonable grounds for suspecting that there is on the premises evidence, other than items subject to legal privilege, that relates to that offence"

P.S. indictable offence = felony (more or less)

Thanks. I wonder what constitutes reasonable suspicion. I imagine they would have it in this case.

Just going back to the black car parked in Wilton Close. The neighbour said it wasn't one she recognised but it had been parked there about a week. Maybe it had been stolen, used in a crime and then left there. Or, maybe someone who had access to the car is somehow involved and knew the family who lived there and asked them if he/she could come and stay with them for a while for whatever reason or just to park the car there. They maybe then have innocently allowed this hence their home being searched, even though they have nothing whatsoever to do with what has happened to Rebecca. Just thinking out aloud really and just my opinion of course.

Wonder why he does not have the same surname as his mom? Does she go by her maiden name?

I always wonder why there is always questions about surnames. I think its pretty common now for children to have different surnames. My eldest child has my maiden surname as I had her with an ex and my second child has my husbands surname, as do I.

I always wonder why there is always questions about surnames. I think its pretty common now for children to have different surnames. My eldest child has my maiden surname as I had her with an ex and my second child has my husbands surname, as do I.

There are always questions because it is a diplomatic way of enquiring about the family relationships and setup, i.e. is it a divorced family and are there step-family members etc. involved?

Wonder why he does not have the same surname as his mom? Does she go by her maiden name?
She would only have a maiden name IF she'd been married. It looks to me as though she and children Dad have never married therefore she keeps her own name and kids have Dad's last name.

RT @BBCNews: RT @jonkay01: Magistrates in Bristol this morning granted police a further 36 hours to question two people in connection with Becky Watts investigation.

The building they are searching looks like a block of flats to me or am I mistaken? From something I saw elsewhere it looks as though LO lives in a house.

Wow, I had no idea England's system was so different from the U.S. System. So are you saying:
The police can arrest someone without charging them with a crime.
The police can interview them for up to 96 hours (after an extension is granted).
After 96 hours, the police must either release them or charge them.
At any point before the 96 hours, the police can release them (as in, realize they arrested wrong person), release them on bail, or charge them.
The police can use the entire 96 hours by re-arresting and continuing to interview, or by interviewing after charging.
At no point (under current laws), can the interviews extend past 96 hours.
Is that correct?
Can they ask for an attorney at any point in time?
And also, the arrested suspect can just choose not to talk at all or answer any questions during the interview, correct (I mean obviously they can, but is there any deterrent)?

BIB
Once a formal charge is made, there is no more interviewing......

Which would work with my earlier comment that Becky had gone to his house after he didn't reply to her text and it was a neighbour who had taken their chance

Yes it does seem that could be a feasible scenario. Likely someone she knew? Given her reported shyness and all.

I still struggle with the thought that there are no positive sightings?

This whole thing seems so disjointed. I hope we can get a conclusion soon. A happy one is preferable but sadly not looking likely.

I'm assuming that no one here is Facebook friends with anyone directly linked so I think it's important not to go by the tiny bit of information that is public on those profiles. It's like judging
A book by its cover ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members