GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I had no idea England's system was so different from the U.S. System. So are you saying:
The police can arrest someone without charging them with a crime.
The police can interview them for up to 96 hours (after an extension is granted).
After 96 hours, the police must either release them or charge them.
At any point before the 96 hours, the police can release them (as in, realize they arrested wrong person), release them on bail, or charge them.
The police can use the entire 96 hours by re-arresting and continuing to interview, or by interviewing after charging.
At no point (under current laws), can the interviews extend past 96 hours.
Is that correct?
Can they ask for an attorney at any point in time?
And also, the arrested suspect can just choose not to talk at all or answer any questions during the interview, correct (I mean obviously they can, but is there any deterrent)?
Yes that's pretty much how it works, although it's a series of extensions rather than just one.

They have the right to have a solicitor (attorney) present.

They have the right to silence but they are given the following caution when they are arrested:

"You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence."

I think keeping people on bail is really damaging when someone is innocent because you can't help but question why they are still on bail - i.e. surely not down to backlog in paperwork?? The same thing happened with Tia Sharp's grandmother - I doubt she'll ever be able to properly clear her name

Sorry, a bit off topic here, I followed Tia Sharp's case up until her body was found. Then I stopped because some cases just make me so angry at society.
So her grandmother is out on bail, and has not been charged? Is the public completely understanding towards and sympathetic to the grandmother or do most feel as if she was blind and should have had a clue something wasn't right...

...They have the right to silence but they are given the following caution when they are arrested:

"You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence."

RSBM

I like this verbal warning and wish the U.S. had something similar to remind guilty suspects there are negative consequences to remaining silent.

Thanks for explaining.

Sorry, a bit off topic here, I followed Tia Sharp's case up until her body was found. Then I stopped because some cases just make me so angry at society.
So her grandmother is out on bail, and has not been charged? Is the public completely understanding towards and sympathetic to the grandmother or do most feel as if she was blind and should have had a clue something wasn't right...
The grandmother was on Police bail for approximately 4 months before they decided to take no further action against her. That was in December 2012.

Wrote something & deleted because I hadn't thought it through properly. It wouldn't let me delete my post so I wrote the reason for editing as 'silly idea'.

Wrote something & deleted because I hadn't thought it through properly. It wouldn't let me delete my post so I wrote the reason for editing as 'silly idea'.

Ah so the same as being forced to post ????? when ? would have done but the minimum posting size is 5 characters.

Don't know, but LO's family appear to.

I subconsciously made a connection between the caravan at the Wilton Close address and the boyfriend's family owning one, but somewhat discarded it after seeing some photos of it being used very recently on holiday. Also a blue caravan was reported to have been searched near the home of RW. Don't think it belonged to any of them though.

She was making a connection based on her own thoughts and opinion. There was no need to be sarcastic.

Wallace's comment made me laugh, but then I'm not a caravan owner :floorlaugh:

She was making a connection based on her own thoughts and opinion. There was no need to be sarcastic.
I wasn't being sarcastic. Cherwell and RapunzelUK got the joke, maybe you will too if you stop taking offence when there is none to be taken.

A quick question as I am not familiar with British Law. In Canada and the US, prior to searching a home or vehicle etc. etc., LE must have a search warrant and to get that warrant from the court, LE must provide probable cause, and/or, evidence to back up their request. Is it the same in Britain?

A quick question as I am not familiar with British Law. In Canada and the US, prior to searching a home or vehicle etc. etc., LE must have a search warrant and to get that warrant from the court, LE must provide probable cause, and/or, evidence to back up their request. Is it the same in Britain?
Yes they need a warrant and the process in the UK is similar to the one you describe. They would not need a warrant if they were given permission to search but may get one any way in order to ensure that any evidence gathered is submissible.

This is my first post and I've been following the comments for a few days, so hi everyone and thanks for interesting and insightful reading. I really desperately hope she is found safe and well. The whole case and how it has been reported and conducted doesn't sit well with me.
I still don't like the family dynamics as portrayed in the media (said that because I can never know, I'm not in the family, I'm just watching through a media lens). Apart from the other family, I was particularly uncomfortable with dad. I felt the video of her eating hot curry was uncomfortable, then the appeals, then the strange facebook comments. The dad as a personality (completely my instant gut feeling, doesn't of course mean he has in any way harmed his child), I feel he is not likeable, perhaps that he can be power seeking, controlling, manipulative. I felt a similar way about Stuart Hazell (Tia Sharp) and Mick Philpotts personalities, but I never felt it when I watched Paul Jones (April Jones) for example. It makes me wonder how much we are steered by the media who know very little themselves and whether they plump for strangest acting closest male to the "victim". And how much the police use the media in another realm of cleverness that goes above my head, like magicians, distraction. Anyway, I hope she is found safe.

We're not allowed to link to FB. Don't think I can pm in tapatalk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my first post and I've been following the comments for a few days, so hi everyone and thanks for interesting and insightful reading. I really desperately hope she is found safe and well. The whole case and how it has been reported and conducted doesn't sit well with me.
I still don't like the family dynamics as portrayed in the media (said that because I can never know, I'm not in the family, I'm just watching through a media lens). Apart from the other family, I was particularly uncomfortable with dad. I felt the video of her eating hot curry was uncomfortable, then the appeals, then the strange facebook comments. The dad as a personality (completely my instant gut feeling, doesn't of course mean he has in any way harmed his child), I feel he is not likeable, perhaps that he can be power seeking, controlling, manipulative. I felt a similar way about Stuart Hazell (Tia Sharp) and Mick Philpotts personalities, but I never felt it when I watched Paul Jones (April Jones) for example. It makes me wonder how much we are steered by the media who know very little themselves and whether they plump for strangest acting closest male to the "victim". And how much the police use the media in another realm of cleverness that goes above my head, like magicians, distraction. Anyway, I hope she is found safe.

Most media folk are good decent types who refuse to sensationalize. However, we have all seen a few random cases where this is not so, and it has had devastating consequences for innocent people. With this case, and all others, I always remind myself to stick to the facts and not demeanor, innuendo, or gut instinct. What appears likely can often not be. Just because someone is quirky or socially inept does not equate to being a perpetrator. Good for you for sorting this out, and not falling prey to sensationalism.
And welcome!
:daisy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members