GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear - we obviously don't know if they are guilty or not, they haven't even been charged yet but I was waiting for the "being controlled by the man" card to be played. Not referring to your post in particular so don't take offense.

It annoys me that 9 times out of 10 when a crime is committed with male and female being the perpetrators, that even jumps on the bandwagon of the assumption that the male was the lead party and the female was miguided or coerced into helping them
Easy to fall into that trap especially when the male is older.

No offense taken. We are all entitled to our opinion.

I based my opinion on the high statistics of women in abusive and controlling relationships. Even the much quoted statistic of 1 in 4 women suffering abuse and 1 in 6 men is skewed, the numbers for women are likely to be much higher.

It isn't a bandwagon if it can be statistically proven. IMO.
Well we can agree to disagree right?! :) it's just so easy for that card to be played nowadays

To be fair the Bristol Post have published the names of the people believed to live in the house where remains were found - they haven't actually gone as far as to say these are the people who are under arrest. That said, there are re-quoting from The Sun and I haven't read what's in there.

And I agree that being arrested does not necessarily mean that they were knowingly involved.

You only have to read the comments on the Bristol Post's facebook page to see the damage that can be done. At least the Daily Mail isn't allowing comments.

If these people are not complicit (or even if some of them are), this will certainly make people think twice about contacting the police in such cases. I do understand that they would have to come under investigation and it's quite understandable that they were arrested, but there should be a complete ban on anyone publishing their identities until and if they are charged.

The DM have named 4 additional people - 3 brothers and 1 of their girlfriends, that leaves a person un named as yet.

All arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.

Do I have this right?

The DM have named 4 additional people - 3 brothers and 1 of their girlfriends, that leaves a person un named as yet.

Do I have this right?
Hmm it does. Just clocked that

Well we can agree to disagree right?! :) it's just so easy for that card to be played nowadays

I think calling it a "card to be played" undermines the frequency and complexity of abusive relationships. Do you have any examples of a time when this "card was played" and it turned out to be false? Are there more of those situations than there are times when it was correct?

I based my opinion on the high statistics of women in abusive and controlling relationships. Even the much quoted statistic of 1 in 4 women suffering abuse and 1 in 6 men is skewed, the numbers for women are likely to be much higher.

You can prove anything with statistics [emoji12]

Did you know that the number of people falling out of fishing boats virtually perfectly correlates with the divorce rate in Maine. There is no connection yet statistically there appears to be one.

There has been no mention of abuse and with scant knowledge it is hard to say which side of the relationship is controlling.

Do I have this right?

So we have names of the 2 x 29 yr old males (the twins) the 23 yr old female, and one 23 yr old male? What was the age of the other male?

ETA http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-31709056

"He said the latest five arrests - two men aged 29, two aged 23 and a woman aged 23 - were made as a result of the find. All seven arrested people remain in police custody"

So it's one of the 23 yr old men that's not been named

Do I have this right?

You do, I think it leaves one 23 year old, unnamed.

I think calling it a "card to be played" undermines the frequency and complexity of abusive relationships. Do you have any examples of a time when this "card was played" and it turned out to be false? Are there more of those situations than there are times when it was correct?
Not at all - a big part of both my law and social work degree was working with organisations that work with both the victims and the abusers so I have a thorough understanding of both the frequency and complexity.

Maybe I didn't word it right - it seems that whenever a female is named in these kind of cases a large number of people like us, who know nothing about the relationship, seem quick to assume that the male has controlled or manipulated the female into helping or taking part with the crime. Very often there is little to back that up and yet people are so quick to assume that it's the male who has been the dominant one in both the relationship and the crime.

I didn't mean to cause offence and apologise if I did

There does indeed seem to be a grammatical error in the main body of text of the DM article, (who'd have thought!), where brother's and brothers' are confused; they mean quite different things. However, under the photo of the blue convertible car, in the same article, the text reads: "This car is thought to belong to the Demetrius brothers' mother who lives on an adjacent street."

Gosh, how many people exactly are involved, in some capacity, with all this? I wonder if there will be further arrests.
Jmo.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-continue-question-pair-suspicion-murder.html

Did you know that the number of people falling out of fishing boats virtually perfectly correlates with the divorce rate in Maine. There is no connection yet statistically there appears to be one.
snip

As Maine has one of this nation's highest divorce rates, apparently they're plummeting out of fishing boats at a goodly clip.

snip

As Maine has one of this nation's highest divorce rates, apparently they're plummeting out of fishing boats at a goodly clip.
Sorry but that did make me chuckle out loud. And I'm on a bus full of people!!

The number of men is likely to be much higher because men are far less likely to report abuse because of these attitudes that only women can be victims, and women can only be victims.

So we have names of the 2 x 29 yr old males (the twins) the 23 yr old female, and one 23 yr old male? What was the age of the other male?

ETA http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-31709056

"He said the latest five arrests - two men aged 29, two aged 23 and a woman aged 23 - were made as a result of the find. All seven arrested people remain in police custody"

So it's one of the 23 yr old men that's not been named

there is another name in there, I will not post it , but the age is right

Wish they'd hurry up and announce something! I can't concentrate on anything :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads