GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this in the courtroom today?

Yes I wondered this too. Surely if he's reading it he knows what he's saying ... what difference does putting his fingers in his ears make? Or did his lawyer read the statement?

I know. So OK he put draincleaner in the bathroom to stop her going in... so where did she go to the toilet for the next few days?

Exactly! and what about the child? for goodness sake none of this is plausible, given that they could not use the kitchen and only lived in the bedroom, how on earth can you function? We have heard nothing about the poor child in all of this, it is beyond belief.

Yes I wondered this too. Surely if he's reading it he knows what he's saying ... what difference does putting his fingers in his ears make? Or did his lawyer read the statement?

I think this was at the police station. They read the statement through before you sign it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK. So he is going for the "I'm not very intelligent, I've got a short fuse" defense then, as if that's some sort of get-out clause.

Saying he 'tried to act normal' after this horrendous attack - watching tv. playing games and getting a Chinese takeaway. What is "normal" when there is a dead body in your car boot?

Is this in the courtroom today?

No, that will have been during the actual interview. I've seen a solicitor and his client come into an interview with a prepared statement on 24 Hours in Police Custody; although it's written, it has to be read out "for the benefit of the tape" by the solicitor

He's coming across as a lunatic - I'm almost starting to believe his crazy kidnap story. Maybe that's the idea, act like a crazy person and people will believe that you tried to carry out a completely implausible kidnap plot...

He's coming across as a lunatic - I'm almost starting to believe his crazy kidnap story. Maybe that's the idea, act like a crazy person and people will believe that you tried to carry out a completely implausible kidnap plot...

I've been thinking the same thing.

No, that will have been during the actual interview. I've seen a solicitor and his client come into an interview with a prepared statement on 24 Hours in Police Custody; although it's written, it has to be read out "for the benefit of the tape" by the solicitor

Thank you. What about why NM's video interviews are not shown in the courtroom...is that his/solicitor's decision, or is there some other reason his interviews are being read & not played?

It's a good job I'm not on the jury tbh, because I don't believe him and I don't believe SH.

I would need to be absolutely convinced "without reasonable doubt" that they both did not commit this atrocious act and disposal together, both having full knowledge.

They spoke about RW together, both say they had similar opinions about her and her behaviour. Maybe for different reasons, NM as he was jealous of his mother's attention and leniency towards RW, and SH as she was jealous of NM's interest in RW sexually (and his 'obviously' obsessive talk of her).

SH must have been aware of NM's short temper and aggressiveness, so not unexpected that he would use these aggressive tendencies on Becky if he had the opportunity.

I do believe SH knew about the stun guns and his proposed use of them.

I also believe that the attack on Becky must have been noisy and drawn out. She was young and fit. IMO SH was aware, if not a participant, in this, certainly came to his aid.

I think the dismemberment and disposal was all with SH's knowledge, no way could the smell and noise have escaped her.

Rambling now, but this has been another hard day of evidence.

I just have no idea how RW's family and close ones manage to cope.

'I wanted Becky to be more appreciate of life' - Matthews

In a pre-prepared statement read to police by Matthews’ solicitor, he told officers: “I came up with the idea to scare her.

“Like to try and basically make her more appreciative of life, like more appreciative of people, like she would be grateful that she had not been harmed.

“She would leave things out for my mum to trip over and talk to her like dirt on the floor.

“I thought if I was able to scare her and she would not be harmed when she got back she would have been scared and more appreciative of things.

“I would have stuck her in a suitcase. I would have put tape around her mouth so she would not make a noise.”

He said he planned to make an excuse to his girlfriend Shauna Hoare and then drive to a “wooded area”.

He added: “I would still have the mask on and scare her and say something along the lines of ‘you have to start treating people better and not be a *advertiser censored* and self-centred and make a threat that this could happen again or worse.”

Matthews added: “I wanted to kidnap her to scare her and teach her a lesson.

“I believed she was selfish and believed her behaviour towards my mother was a risk to her health.”

He said he climbed the stairs and put his bag in the landing before knocking on Becky’s bedroom door as his girlfriend Shauna Hoare had a cigarette.

He said: “I knocked on Rebecca’s door and she replied. She said ‘what?’ or ‘hello’.

“I said ‘can I see you a minute?’
or similar words.

“Rebecca then opened the door. I’m wearing the mask.
“I can’t be sure in what order things happened immediately after she came to the door but I used the items to subdue Rebecca.
“During a short struggle my mask slipped and Rebecca was able to see my face.
“I panicked and strangled her while she was partially in the bag.
“I collected the items I had used, put them and Rebecca into the bag, and zipped up the bag.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/becky-watts-murder-trial-live-6673031

Er.... okaaaaaaaay. Just back from doing mummy stuff and can't quite believe what I'm reading. Thanks to everyone for keeping the updates coming and thanks for the odd chuckle here and there! I am going to make a nice cup of tea and start looking at the news summaries, need to wrap my head round it. Kids will be ok watching Scooby Doo again with a couple of biscuits, yeah?

http://www.itv.com/news/west/2015-1...athan-matthews-confesses-to-killing-the-teen/

Hmmmm.... Two questions come to mind after reading NM's Confession.

1. If kidnap was your intention and SH had no knowledge, why go to the house with her?
we are expected to believe that SH just happened to go outside with their Daughter for just the amount of time that NM needed to carry out his plan, without her suspecting or hearing anything. Where did SH's 'Stomp stomp stomp' explanation come from, he slammed the front door for her benefit did he also stomp down the stairs too? Totally ridiculous.

2. Where is this bag that Becky was partly in when he strangled her? Haven't seen this or the non DIY 'mask' on any list so far??

The first witness today is a flatmate of Jamie Ireland who is accused of assisting an offender.
Simon Knight knew Ireland for “a number of years”.
The housemate of James Ireland says he chatted to him about "moving some stuff" the night after Becky's body was allegedly moved.
Simon Knight told the court that he had had a conversation with Ireland, known to his friends as Jamie, where he had told him one of his friends had had a phone call while at work asking them to "go move some stuff".
Ireland, he said, would "do anything for money" so agreed to help his friend. The pair took a van from their work, at British Areospace in Avonmouth, and drove to Barton Hill, Mr Knight said.
He said to me he went to pick up the stuff from Barton Hill. He told me when he got there he saw a male and a female.
Mr Knight then recounted to the court how then started loading bags into the van.
He said he was putting some bags into the van, then he drove off. He said he took them to a house, he said he unloaded the bags and drove it back to the house.
He said there was one person in the van with him, he didn't say who, just that it was the male, the person's whose house he had gone to, that was my understanding.
When the job was done, he said 'the male' invited inside the address in Barton Hill, where they had a cigarette together, before Ireland went back to work.
Mr Knight told the court that Ireland would do "anything for money", so if someone had offered money to move things, he would have taken it at face value for the money only.
Under cross examination Mr Knight said he believed Ireland had never met the people he had helped before, and could not recall any details about them.
Another housemate of James Ireland said he had a conversation with the accused in a pub, where he recounted what had happened.
Richard Whitton told the court Ireland believed he was moving items to do with a robbery, and thought he was getting around £5,000 for helping.
He said his friend just wanted some stuff moved, something to do with a robbery and they wanted some stuff moved.
He presumed it was a robbery because whoever it was thougt they were going to get raided.
It thought it was odd because you wouldn't get told if you were going to get raided. I thought it was a load of rubbish.
Mr Whitton told the court Ireland had said he had got into the work van and driven down to Barton Hill, where he "moved the stuff".
He just said it was from a robbery, he presumed it was worth about £20,000 and he was going to be getting £5,000 for it.
He had been told to just get rid of it.
But, Mr Whitton said, once he had handled the packages his opinion changed to thinking he may be moving drugs.
He said at one point Ireland gestured with his hands as to how big the packages had been, holding his hands about a foot apart.
He said the packages were soft, and we discussed it wouldn't be electrical stuff if they were soft. That's when the conversation turned to drugs.
He said they were tightly packaged.
Under cross examination Mr Whitton conceded that during the conversation, at the Miles public house, in Avonmouth, he believed it was "typical Jamie telling one of his stories" in an attempt "to impress" him.
He said he had been skeptical, and the conversation seemed "unreal" to him.
The trial is hearing from colleagues who served in the Territorial Army with Nathan Matthews.
One says she did firearms training with him.
She told police she found Matthews to be “a bit snappy”.
She said she “never felt frightened” of him.
Roy Kempton who was Squadron Sergeant Major with Matthews, also gives evidence.
He describes the accused as a “typical young squaddie.”
He recalls an incident where Matthews got into trouble for letting friends ride in an army vehicle.

A Territorial Army member has said she thought Nathan Matthews had an anger problem, and would often "snap" while on training.
Danielle Rogers, who was a member of the TA alongside Matthews in 2006/7 told the court there were times he would worry her. She said Matthews would drive the pair to training, in Cardiff, and often take his anger out "on his driving".
She said it would never frighten her, but she was worried.
I noticed he had a bit of an anger problem at times, he would sometimes snap in frustration and throw things in temper sometimes.
Another TA recruit said she believed Matthews was a "quiet nice guy", while his Squadron Sgt Major said he was keen and willing to learn.
The court also heard how Matthews learned about using cat litter to "absorb liquids" and "decontaminate" with the TA.
The jury has been told that cat litter - or Fuller's Earth - was found piled on top of part of Becky's torso inside a box in a shed.
Roy Kempton, who was Squadron Sgt Major of the unit in 2006 said training would have included camouflage, concealment, army discipline, and chemical, biological and nuclear defence, including decontamination.
Decontamination would have included the processes and the use of Fuller's Earth [DKP].
While on basic training their areas, and surrounding areas, would have been required to be kept in a pristine condition.
When I say spotless, I mean spotless.
He added that if their areas had not been prestige and spotless, then there would have been punishments including pushups, removal of privileges or even jail.
Ms Rogers echoed the statement.
We learnt about chemical exposure and wearing of appropriate protective clothing and how to deal with all that, masks and the like.
We were taught about DKP, which is a powder used to mop things up. It's the same colour as cat litter.
Former Grenadier Guard and TA cadet instructor Darren Thomas taught Matthews in 2000 at a detachment in Cadbury Heath, Bristol.
Mr Thomas said cadets would have been told about the use of Fuller's Earth - a powder in cat litter - in covering chemicals and "absorbing fluids".
Nathan would have been taught that this powder could be used in the event of a chemical or noxious liquid spraying on them.
The jury is now hearing from Robert Coombe who reviewed CCTV evidence gathered in the case.
The jury is being shown footage of a property in the Barton Hill area of Bristol in early hours of February 24, five days after Becky went missing.
Mr Coombe says the CCTV shows: “At least two persons moving from the nearside to the offside on the screen in direction of Cotton Mill Lane”
It also appears to show two people “carrying a large square object”, he adds.
Evidence from an Asda employee has been read out in court.
He reviewed CCTV from February 21, two days after Becky went missing.
A man an a woman, Matthews and Hoare, shopped at the supermarket and bought items including two boxes of Cheerios, frozen foods, and cleaning items, the court heard.
The couple used the self-service till and the bill came to £98.96 and was paid in cash.
The cost of the cleaning products came to £39.
The 14 items on the receipt included 8 extra strong rubble sacks in blue, the court hears.
Detective Marie Stephen is the next witness.
She interviewed Nathan Matthews on a series of occasions after his arrest on February 28.
The jury hears extracts from these interviews.
The court hears Matthews was asked if he has any mental health problems.
In his first interview after his arrest, on February 28, Matthews described himself as psychologically disturbed.
When asked by the custody sergeant, when he was booked in at Patchway Police Station, if he had any mental health problems, he answered yes, and said he was four things, "emotionally unstable, psychologically disturbed, a metrosexual and a neanderthal'
I'm told I can overreact and can take things the wrong way.
I'm emotionally unstable.
When asked to describe metrosexual, Matthews said:
Basically I'm in touch with my feminine side and act gay, that kind of thing.
Because obviously there is lots of different versions of what people think metrosexual means on google, and that is what it means to me.
He was then asked to explain neanderthal.
I'm a neandthal, grumpy, basic thinking man, obviously not highly intelligent. I don't know how to specifically explain it. I don't know, I have a mental block just like a caveman.
When I'm aggressive I'm similar to a caveman, basically like a caveman, obviously, mentally undeveloped.
I react like a caveman, if they start a fire I'm going to react, that is kind of what a caveman is.
I have a fight or flight reflex. I always say, don't back a rat into a corner because they will attack first. If I'm being physically threatened or shouted at, then obviously I will react with aggression or shouting.
He said that he was a naturally stressed person, and told police:
Obviously I punch things. It doesn't mean I'm really angry. It's like I hurt myself on something so I will punch it back
He described himself as a paranoid person and admitted snapping at both Becky and his mum.

Nathan admits to killing his 16-year-old step-sister Becky Watts in one of several police interviews......
In his first interview after his arrest, on February 28, Matthews described himself as psychologically disturbed.
When asked by the custody sergeant, when he was booked in at Patchway Police Station, if he had any mental health problems, he answered yes, and said he was four things, "emotionally unstable, psychologically disturbed, a metrosexual and a neanderthal'
I'm told I can overreact and can take things the wrong way.
I'm emotionally unstable.
When asked to describe metrosexual, Matthews said: Basically I'm in touch with my feminine side and act gay, that kind of thing.
Because obviously there is lots of different versions of what people think metrosexual means on google, and that is what it means to me.
He was then asked to explain neanderthal.
I'm a neanderthal, grumpy, basic thinking man, obviously not highly intelligent. I don't know how to specifically ******ing explain it. I don't know, I have a mental block just like a caveman.
When I'm aggressive I'm similar to a caveman, basically like a caveman, obviously, mentally undeveloped.
I react like a caveman, if they start a fire I'm going to react, that is kind of what a caveman is.
I have a fight or flight reflex. I always say, don't back a rat into a corner because they will attack first. If I'm being physically threatened or shouted at, then obviously I will react with aggression or shouting.
He said that he was a naturally stressed person, and told police:
Obviously I punch things. It doesn't mean I'm really angry. It's like
I hurt myself on something so I will punch it back
He described himself as a paranoid person and admitted snapping at both Becky and his mum.
The court is now hearing extracts from Matthews police interview on March 2.
He was then under arrest on suspicion of Becky’s murder.
The interview took place at 10.24pm.
Matthews accepted that he was responsible for Becky’s death, the court hears.
He told police: “I wanted to kidnap her to scare her and teach her a lesson”
Matthews said he was wearing a mask when he knocked on Becky’s door, but it slipped.
He told police: “This caused me to panic and I strangled her”
After killing Becky, Nathan Matthews told police "I tried to behave as normally as I could"
"I tried to dispose of the body by cutting it up with a circular saw"
Aunt Sarah Broom left the court crying
In another interview, a few hours after his admission Nathan is reported as 'sobbing'
Then to every question asked by officers he answers 'no comment', at times cutting the officers off midway through sentences
In his fourth interview, shortly after his no comment interview, Nathan is 'sobbing' again and asks for Shauna's name not to be used
Nathans solicitor interrupts interview to ask if Nathan want's any legal advice as the "interview is going different to discussed"
Court has finished for the day, and this page will resume at 11.30 tomorrow morning with 'live updates'

<snip>

He then said, after Hoare had gone into the garden he retrieved the items and walked up to Becky's room, knocking on her door.

Rebecca then opened the door, I am wearing the mask. I cannot be sure in which order things happened immediately after she came to the door but I used the items I had to subdue Rebecca.

During a short struggle my mask slipped and Rebecca was able to see my face. This caused me to panic and I strangled her while she was partially in the bag.

I collected the items I had used, put them and Rebecca into the bag and zipped up the bag.
&#8211; Nathan Matthews

BBM

He put Becky into a suitcase (put them [the items] & Becky into bag, and zipped up the "bag")!

http://www.itv.com/news/west/2015-1...athan-matthews-confesses-to-killing-the-teen/

Crazy as a fox

So is SH

We leave about 7pm, probably a little after 7pm. We returned to 14 Cotton Mill Lane, I go and lie on our bed, which is what I would normally do. The rest of the evening passed as usual but I cannot remember exactly what we did. After Shauna went to bed and sleep, I wanted a while and went out to the car and brought the bags into the house
^^This being sometime late on Thursday 19th Feb

The following day we went back around to 18 Crown Hill and I tried to behaved as normal. I tried to behave as I could. When we returned back to 14 Cotton Mill I again waited for Shauna to go to sleep, this time I collected the bag with Rebecca's body and take it to the bathroom.
^^ This being on Friday 20th Feb after he had been out buying drain cleaner, a saw, goggles, gloves and mask

I took the body out of the bag and placed it in the bath. In order to stop Shauna using the bathroom the following morning I poured drain cleaner down the toilet so I could tell Shauna it was blocked again. The toilet would often get blocked and when that happened I knew Shauna would not go into the bathroom. I also locked the door.
So bathroom door is locked sometime late Friday/early hours Saturday

My memory of the days that followed is not perfect so I'm not sure which day I returned to 14 Cotton Mill Lane having left Shauna at my mother's but I think it was the Saturday.
When I got back to 14 Cotton Mill Lane I tried to dispose of the body by cutting it up with a circular saw

^^ So he takes Shauna and the child round to Crown Hill on Saturday 21st and leaves them there whilst he returns to CML to dismember the body. Is this before or after he and SH were caught on CCTV in Asda at 12:15pm buying black bags, rubble sacks etc

Quotes from http://www.itv.com/news/west/2015-10-21/becky-watts-trial-matthews-confession-in-full/

Siobhan Robbins &#8207;@SiobhanRobbins [video=twitter;656855088472920064]https://twitter.com/SiobhanRobbins/status/656855088472920064[/video]
Says plan was to scare her and not harm her so she'd been more appreciative when she was released.

Appreciative of what? Him not harming her? So, why did he panic when the mask slipped? Did he think that he could kidnap and scare her, without her knowing it was him (and not recognise his car or recognise the voices of him and SH), and then return her home ..... with her coming to the conclusion that she must be nice to her step-mother in future, as her life isn't so bad after all because a random kidnapper didn't harm her?

And his mother wouldn't make the connection that Becky was kidnapped from the home at around the exact time that NM had told her he was going to go round the house?

http://www.itv.com/news/west/2015-10-21/becky-watts-trial-matthews-confession-in-full/

When she was in the garden I went to the boot of my car and took out a bag which contained the other items. I took everything upstairs to the landing, I think I then took the items out oft he bag before knocking on Rebecca's door.

She replied "What?" or "Hello" and I said, "Can I see you a minute?" or similar words.

Rebecca then opened the door, I am wearing the mask. I cannot be sure in which order things happened immediately after she came to the door but I used the items I had to subdue Rebecca.

During a short struggle my mask slipped and Rebecca was able to see my face. This caused me to panic and I strangled her while she was partially in the bag.

How stupid is this man?
So he knocked on the door, said 'Can I see you a minute?' .........so? Did he put on a funny voice so she wouldn't realize it was him?
Perhaps he really is crazy???
Definitely didn't think anything through!
Also states SH goes for a *advertiser censored*, where is their Daughter at that point? I truly hope they both go on the stand, I bet the prosecution will annihilate them both!

Ok maybe I'm going mad but this line from NM about hitting inanimate objects when he hurts himself on them.. I'm sure I've heard somebody say that in a previous trial , because I remember thinking how weird it was. Anyone else remember another accused saying something similar in a past trial or have I totally lost the plot?

I hurt myself on something so I will punch it back

After reading his admission I'd be surprised if he takes the stand now.

Several reasons - one is that he clearly wanted to avoid being put on the spot by being questioned about his statement. I get the feeling he wouldn't be able to handle the pressure of being disbelieved or challenged. another reason is that he has given an account of killing and he will probably be advised that the prosecution can't disprove his version if he doesn't talk, as there was no other witness.

It'll be interesting to see whether he does though, as there is the risk that the jury won't like it if he refuses to stand and show willingness to answer questions, and they may decide that the level of violence and force used to suffocate Becky could not be accidental, and the extent of her injuries was so great, especially since she would have no idea of his kidnap plan and would have thought he was just attacking her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member