Found Deceased UK - Sally Allan, 59, Ponteland, Northumberland, 26 December 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BBM - that is a possibility but if that were the case I'm surprised the family allowed everyone to spend their time searching especially over the Christmas holidays.

If they'd thought from the start that they were looking for a body I'd hope they would have asked for water searches, I know from the facebook group that at least one person was searching from a boat but afaik all other searchers were on land.

The fact that they choose MIND straight away as their chosen charity does suggest that they were already aware of some MH issues and maybe this wasn't quite as out of character as we'd been told.

JMO

Ah no, I dont for one minute think they knew that Sally had chosen to go into the water. I am thinking that , if there was a note, it possibly said something such as she was going away to get some space.
So they called the police almost immediately as they were worried for her state of mind, but am sure they hoped that Sally would be found alive.

They seem to be a very kind, loving family and I am sure they would not have allowed people to search if they already knew exactly what had happened.

If someone took sleeping pills or anxiety medication like Xanax, Valium, Klonopin, etc., and then waited for the desired drowsiness to set in, a slip into icy water just as near unconsciousness took place would - in my opinion - be the most civilized or least traumatic way to end one's life by drowning. Sadly, this is often how people drown in bathtubs as well.

Good point. Someone posted on this thread - and my apologies that I cannot remember which poster it was - to say that the walk from the end of the pedestrian area ( the cctv that has been made public ) to the swing bridge/Guildhall area is approximately 5 minutes, but that the timings given by the police show that Sally did not appear on the swing bridge area cctv until 17 minutes later.
So it could be possible that, during this time, she took some medication to help her.

I can see someone being so distraught/sad that they decide to go outside and walk. And then keep walking....

but that IS a long way to go. Her family seems sure that she is gone, RIP Sally. May all these situations remind people that you just never know what is going on with someone, things are not always as they seem.

Mr Allan, of Ponteland, said: “We had a very normal run-up to Christmas and a very normal Christmas Day.

“There were no family issues, no arguments and no relationship or financial problems so, in that respect, Sally’s disappearance was very out-the-blue.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...husband-ponteland-10689871#ICID=FB-Chron-main

She spent so much of her life working, caring for other people,” said Gordon. “Her whole career had been based around helping others.

“Maybe, after she retired, she had a little bit too much time to think.”

Edited to add, they've now raised nearly £9,500 for Mind.
I hope it's not too long before they find her and she's returned to those who love her. I can't bare the thought of this kind lady in that cold, dark, murky river.

mr allan, of ponteland, said: “we had a very normal run-up to christmas and a very normal christmas day.

“maybe, after she retired, she had a little bit too much time to think.”

this ^^

Oh yes!
I'm just having my first coffee of the day, in the North of England, and it's pitch black. Sunrise in 1 hour.

At this time of year people in England go to work in the dark, and come home in the dark, which can contribute to depression in susceptible individuals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh yes!
I'm just having my first coffee of the day, in the North of England, and it's pitch black. Sunrise in 1 hour.

At this time of year people in England go to work in the dark, and come home in the dark, which can contribute to depression in susceptible individuals.

Oh, my! Had no idea! How many hours of daylight do you get?

7 1/2 hours today!
Seasonal Affective Disorder ( SAD) is common here, depression that occurs on a seasonal basis, due to lack of light.

The family's willingness to accept that Sally is dead is, I must say, quite unusual, IMO. Usually, even when there are signs that the person in question might have been suicidal, the friends and relatives are in denial and need some time to accept that their beloved one is gone.
I am not trying to say that there was some foul play here, I just think Sally's family knows something they did not reveal, and the happy picture they've painted wasn't entirely true.

It's unusual, but I find it very brave and also somewhat refreshing. I find it hard to watch from the sidelines when it's clear somebody has committed suicide and their family won't accept it. I think it's great that Sally's family have turned this into a chance to raise awareness and funds for Mind, who are an excellent charity. No doubt it will help save countless others.

Oh, my! Had no idea! How many hours of daylight do you get?

Yes that's Northern Europe in the winter. In the summer you get 16-18 hours of daylight to make up for it :)

Go further up to the Scandinavian countries (Norway, Sweden, Finland) and the nights are even longer in winter, and even shorter in summer. In the most Northern cities they now have 28 days of night right now.

Sorry, got a little side tracked there.

Mr Allan, of Ponteland, said: “We had a very normal run-up to Christmas and a very normal Christmas Day.

“There were no family issues, no arguments and no relationship or financial problems so, in that respect, Sally’s disappearance was very out-the-blue.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...husband-ponteland-10689871#ICID=FB-Chron-main

She spent so much of her life working, caring for other people,” said Gordon. “Her whole career had been based around helping others.

“Maybe, after she retired, she had a little bit too much time to think.”

Edited to add, they've now raised nearly £9,500 for Mind.
I hope it's not too long before they find her and she's returned to those who love her. I can't bare the thought of this kind lady in that cold, dark, murky river.

I can totally relate to this. My dad was always cheerful and outgoing his whole working life, but since he retired (at 60 as he is comfortably off), he has become so argumentative, so depressed and so miserable. He picks fault with everything and is totally fixated on how much time he has left, and his health - even though he is very fit and healthy and goes to the gym all week. He has no money worries, goes on numerous holidays, has a holiday home, and about 3 pensions to live off, along with my mum.

I'm not saying that Sally was like this at all, I'm just agreeing that when someone stops working and has so much free time, and nothing to get up for, or focus on, they can tend to be very inward thinking (if that is the right term) and focus on themselves in minute detail.

I can totally relate to this. My dad was always cheerful and outgoing his whole working life, but since he retired (at 60 as he is comfortably off), he has become so argumentative, so depressed and so miserable. He picks fault with everything and is totally fixated on how much time he has left, and his health - even though he is very fit and healthy and goes to the gym all week. He has no money worries, goes on numerous holidays, has a holiday home, and about 3 pensions to live off, along with my mum.

I'm not saying that Sally was like this at all, I'm just agreeing that when someone stops working and has so much free time, and nothing to get up for, or focus on, they can tend to be very inward thinking (if that is the right term) and focus on themselves in minute detail.

Similar with my mum-in-law. Cheery and calm on the outside, but close family know she worries about every little thing, barely sleeps, has panic attacks, deals with an extremely awkward grumpy husband and generally feels hard done by. I'd say she's a little depressed/anxious and suspect she may take meds to help, but nothing major, not suicidal or anything as far as I can see.... but if she ever did something like this I would probably understand and accept it as Sally's family have. Basically, as Rach has said above, too much time to think/ponder/wonder/worry.

Similar with my mum-in-law. Cheery and calm on the outside, but close family know she worries about every little thing, barely sleeps, has panic attacks, deals with an extremely awkward grumpy husband and generally feels hard done by. I'd say she's a little depressed/anxious and suspect she may take meds to help, but nothing major, not suicidal or anything as far as I can see.... but if she ever did something like this I would probably understand and accept it as Sally's family have. Basically, as Rach has said above, too much time to think/ponder/wonder/worry.

I can't help thinking what a shame that must be when nowadays there are so many opportunities for volunteering, helping the community etc, no one needs to feel worthless imo

If someone took sleeping pills or anxiety medication like Xanax, Valium, Klonopin, etc., and then waited for the desired drowsiness to set in, a slip into icy water just as near unconsciousness took place would - in my opinion - be the most civilized or least traumatic way to end one's life by drowning. Sadly, this is often how people drown in bathtubs as well.

While this is a good point these drugs are all prescription only and would need a doctor to prescribe them in the UK. If she was prescribed them (and hadn't revealed her anxiety levels to her family) then this would probably be revealed once there is an inquest into her death. I suppose she could have bought them from a dealer however I'm not too sure what contacts an upper middle class middle aged women from Darrass Hall would have with a drug dealer tbh.

While this is a good point these drugs are all prescription only and would need a doctor to prescribe them in the UK. If she was prescribed them (and hadn't revealed her anxiety levels to her family) then this would probably be revealed once there is an inquest into her death. I suppose she could have bought them from a dealer however I'm not too sure what contacts an upper middle class middle aged women from Darrass Hall would have with a drug dealer tbh.

I don't see her having a dealer either. Sleeping pills - which I assume are sold OTC in the UK - would have the same effect.

I don't see her having a dealer either. Sleeping pills - which I assume are sold OTC in the UK - would have the same effect.
Not really, the otc sleeping pills you can get are pretty mild. Anything that would actually work in that situation would either come from a doctor or need to be bought illegally. A nytol wouldnt do much.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If my theory is correct, I'd say it would likely be either pills taken from someone else (I know people who happily offer up sleeping pills for international flights or anti-anxietal tablets for the same purpose when needed as they have ongoing refills) or she had her own prescription that she kept to herself. Over the counter sleeping pills aren't nearly as strong, though this is an option as well. Some people take NyQuil for the same reason. There was another case here a year or so ago on WS where Jennifer Huston, a married mother of young children, drove to the store, bought over the counter sleeping pills with a snack, drove into the woods and ultimately hung herself. The pills were clearly a first step. These cases are always so heartbreaking... MOO.

If my theory is correct, I'd say it would likely be either pills taken from someone else (I know people who happily offer up sleeping pills for international flights or anti-anxietal tablets for the same purpose when needed as they have ongoing refills) or she had her own prescription that she kept to herself. Over the counter sleeping pills aren't nearly as strong, though this is an option as well. Some people take NyQuil for the same reason. There was another case here a year or so ago on WS where Jennifer Huston, a married mother of young children, drove to the store, bought over the counter sleeping pills with a snack, drove into the woods and ultimately hung herself. The pills were clearly a first step. These cases are always so heartbreaking... MOO.

Yes, I remember that case. I was sure she had gotten abducted! For some people, like me who rarely takes medicine, a little of anything can really zap me. Once after surgery I was prescribed pain pills. They made me extremely sick to my stomach. Then I was given something to counteract that and ended up the ER. I was in a complete brain fog and it really scared me! The ER doctor said that particular med was notorious for causing those symptoms. It was called Promethazine.

You can't buy sleeping pills OTC either. Just the mild (or herbal) types like Nytol. The U.K. is really strict about medications. You can only buy two packets of paracetamol in one go. It's possible she had a prescription for anxiety/sleeping pills that her family didn't know about. But had she, for example, got them from a friend I think they probably would have come forward given the situation.

I'm just trying to think logically about this. I really can't see a respectable, middle class grandmother going out and buying them and tbh she would need to know a dealer, which for a nearly 60 year old woman from Darras Hall isn't likely. It's a really upper class area, with famous footballers and the like living there. If I had to take an educated guess about taking drugs she hasn't been prescribed then I would count it out.

I think the simplest explanation is the likeliest in this case, that she's either jumped from the Tyne Bridge or climbed into the water at the Quayside and that either the fall or the sheer cold of the water has taken her life sadly. I don't think the amount of rainfall we've had since Christmas will have helped either as it has definitely affected the flow of the river.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hillbillywest403
Back