GUILTY UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London, Clapham Common area, 3 Mar 2021 *Life sentence* #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think that he never actually considered CCTV in passing buses and cars capturing the EXACT moment he stopped and took her and hence how quickly they tracked him, unless he wanted to be caught - but given how he tried to cover his tracks with thought out effort, I don't believe he did.

That’s a good point, as far as I’m aware the only cctv that caught the abduction was from passing vehicles. Maybe he was actually very aware this particular area isn’t covered by static cameras. There must be very few places in London where this is the case.

• Wayne Couzens, 48, will today learn if he will die in jail serving a whole life sentence for killing Sarah Everard
  • Footage shows Miss Everard on the pavement with depraved Met officer moments before he kidnapped her
  • Couzens cuffed hands behind her back, leaving her incapable of undoing the seatbelt he strapped around her
  • Old Bailey heard harrowing details of serving police officer's deceit and Miss Everard's horrific final hours
  • Marketing executive was raped, murdered and burned in pre-meditated attack that was weeks in planning
  • Couzens watched with head bowed while victim's family, friends and boyfriend listened from public stalls
  • Serving police officer has admitted kidnap, rape and murder and will be sentenced after two-day hearing
Killer cop Wayne Couzens will today learn if he will spend the rest of his life in jail | Daily Mail Online

Just a quick question out of curiosity... I thought when questioning, investigators have to be somewhat up front about what they know? Does it depend on the circumstances?

The interview after arrest was classed as an Urgent Interview within the provisions of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984. Such an interview away from a police station is only granted in very specific circumstances, by a Senior Investigating Officer, where there is believed to be significant risk of harm, damage, loss of evidence or other suspects being alerted. The questions ask are directly specific to the significant risk.

When a suspect is arrested and taken to the police station they are interviewed about all the elements of the alleged offences for which they have been arrested. They have a right to free and independent legal advice from a solicitor, who will attend the police station.

The police do not have to disclose anything to the solicitor, but they will be unable to advise their client effectively. This will result in a disjointed and unproductive interview as the solicitor requests the interview to be stopped as each new element is revealed so that he/she can advise their client. Of course there may be some key evidence that the investigating officers do not to reveal until later, but this would for strategic purposes.

Last edited:
I really think that he never actually considered CCTV in passing buses and cars capturing the EXACT moment he stopped and took her and hence how quickly they tracked him, unless he wanted to be caught - but given how he tried to cover his tracks with thought out effort, I don't believe he did.

I don't think it occurred to him that passers by would check / handover their dashcam footage, or that the quality would be good enough to identify him or the hire car.

What I am confused about now thinking back on it, is why the Met police were making a big song & dance about combing Clapham Common pond for days, when at that point they were already zoning in on Couzens so knew about his car etc and therefore it not being a rape & murder on the common.

1. Covering all the bases of search in local vicinity. Failing to do so could be a major error or judgement.
2. Searches on Clapham Common were high profile in the media. Could also have been a smokescreen to provide WC with a false sense of security while background investigation was being done on his movements if it was felt Sarah could still be alive.

These are just my thoughts.

The police started searching the scene of the abduction at Poynders Court that afternoon, I'm guessing they delayed the arrest until that search was concluded to see if there was any substantial evidence. It was widely broadcast on news / TV and for the killer it would have been the moment he knew they were on to him.

I guess they wanted to make sure he didn't make a run for it whilst buying some time to gather a bit more evidence.

Excellent point. At the time I thought it a little odd that the search at Poynders Road was so visible and broadcast in spite of it being on the South Circular Road and a main arterial route. Maybe the investigators were hoping that the coverage may flush WC out of the house and he would lead them to Sarah, either still alive or to preserve and secure as much evidence as possible. Tragically it was the latter.

I think there is a fragment of truth in his statement about not going to work because he was stressed and needed to be at home 24/7.

He may well have been dwelling on covering his tracks better

One thing I did not fully appreciate at the time was the amount of terror she must have been in as she realised he was not taking her to the police station. I always hoped he used some sort of drug soon after she got in the car but it appears she would have quickly realised her fate. There are plenty of traffic lights on that route out of London so I wonder if she tried to get out or he child locked the back doors or threatened her somehow. She seemed like the sort of person who would fight to the end and judging by the scratches on his head she did. Good for her.

I don't think it occurred to him that passers by would check / handover their dashcam footage, or that the quality would be good enough to identify him or the hire car.

Yes and they were only able to hone in on that point in her journey due to a ring camera that picked her up but then the next static camera that should have captured her did not - hence they could ask people to check if on that road and have a specific timeframe.

One thing I did not fully appreciate at the time was the amount of terror she must have been in as she realised he was not taking her to the police station. I always hoped he used some sort of drug soon after she got in the car but it appears she would have quickly realised her fate. There are plenty of traffic lights on that route out of London so I wonder if she tried to get out or he child locked the back doors or threatened her somehow. She seemed like the sort of person who would fight to the end and judging by the scratches on his head she did. Good for her.

Her hands were cuffed behind her back with a seatbelt on, even if she tried, which she would have I am sure - it was very unlikely she could move much. Just so shocking.

Remember after he was arrested? They did further searches on his plot of land?
I wondered at the time if perhaps they were searching for evidence of other crimes?
I wonder, too , if other crimes will come to light in the future and if so, how will they be processed if he receives a lengthy or whole of life sentence without parole?

Remember after he was arrested? They did further searches on his plot of land?
I wondered at the time if perhaps they were searching for evidence of other crimes?
I wonder, too , if other crimes will come to light in the future and if so, how will they be processed if he receives a lengthy or whole of life sentence without parole?

I'm sure they wanted to be thorough. I'm sure they've also looked through his financial history for other bizarre out of context purchases, hiring of vehicles etc.

I personally don't see him having committed murders before, the fact he was purchasing disposal items after the event, left his phone on through all of it, the evidence being scattered about in multiple locations, using his own land and not even taking basic steps to avoid detection like using cash instead of his card etc.

I think most of the people in this thread could have a better go at being serial killers than him.

Last edited:
Telegraph at 9.26 am
Queues were already forming before 9am on Thursday outside the Old Bailey in central London.

A scrum of video cameras were stationed outside the main entrance, huddled under umbrellas, as the court prepared itself for the biggest sentencing in recent years.

We are expecting Jim Sturman QC to start the mitigation at 10am inside courtroom No 10.

He will be setting out why his 48-year-old client should not be sent to prison for the rest of his life.

This should take around half an hour. Then Lord Justice Fulford will retire to consider the sentence.

The judge will return around midday to deliver the verdict.

Telegraph at 9.26 am
Queues were already forming before 9am on Thursday outside the Old Bailey in central London.

A scrum of video cameras were stationed outside the main entrance, huddled under umbrellas, as the court prepared itself for the biggest sentencing in recent years.

We are expecting Jim Sturman QC to start the mitigation at 10am inside courtroom No 10.

He will be setting out why his 48-year-old client should not be sent to prison for the rest of his life.

This should take around half an hour. Then Lord Justice Fulford will retire to consider the sentence.

The judge will return around midday to deliver the verdict.

I'm surprised there is even that much to say...

I'm sure they wanted to be thorough. I'm sure they've also looked through his financial history for other bizarre out of context purchases, hiring of vehicles etc.

I personally don't see him having committed murders before, the fact he was purchasing disposal items after the event, the evidence being scattered about in multiple locations, using his own land and not even taking basic steps to avoid detection like using cash instead of his card etc.

I think most of the people in this thread could have a better go at being serial killers than him.

It's interesting (and fortunate) that most killers do get caught on no 1, even where it is not a spontaneous attack/close contact.

Killer in the dock
Wayne Couzens has been brought into the dock, wearing a blue suit and a black face mask.

He remains seated, with his head bowed, in the same way he did for almost the entirety of the first day's session.

(Telegraph 10.03 am)

Sturman: "Nothing I say today is intended to minimise the horror of what the defendant did that night. He makes no excuses"

https://twitter.com/totalcrime/status/1443502178627428356?s=21

Sturman says Couzens is filled with self-loathing and shame, "and he should be"

https://twitter.com/totalcrime/status/1443502283757600769?s=21

Sturman says the question is whether or not he should be given a whole life sentence #saraheverard

https://twitter.com/totalcrime/status/1443502389831553026?s=21

Sturman's mitigation - his plea, his remorse and the depression he was suffering at the time #SarahEverard

https://twitter.com/totalcrime/status/1443502524523335685?s=21

Sturman says he had no previous convictions and appeared to be living a law-abiding life. His colleagues described him as "friendly and calm" #SarahEverard

https://twitter.com/totalcrime/status/1443502730388070402?s=21

Sturman says Couzens admitted his responsibility after offering "untenable and ridiculous lies" when interviewed at his home #SarahEverard

https://twitter.com/totalcrime/status/1443502897032011776?s=21

Sturman points out that his client pleaded guilt, rather than pleading not guilty and coming up with lies at trial and trying to "bamboozle" a jury. "This defendant could have mounted a wicked defence which would have piled humiliation on the Everard family." #SarahEverard

https://twitter.com/totalcrime/status/1443503377397202944?s=21

I think at first she would have been confused by the arrest itself it seemed so harsh what I can not stop thinking about the moment she realised in the car that this was not an arrest they are not going to a police station all of sudden the situation she is in is a dangerous one would he have listen to her pleas for the 80 mile journey did he enjoy her being scared? what happened when they changed vehicles? she was handcuffed when he arrested her from minute 1 of he kidnapping and did not really stand a chance against this monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbod153