Found Deceased UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London - Clapham Common area, 3 March 2021 *Arrests* #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The weather forecast for that week was awful and 3 March was foggy, plus there was drizzly rain and some heavier showers (at least in London, I remember because I chose to run indoors rather than go out in it).
IMO going by car instead of on a bike in winter generally, or just when the forecast is bad, does make some sense. It'll be for investigators to establish demonstrate if hiring a car was a departure from his usual travelling patterns, and for the defendant to show if there was an anodyne reason for whatever he did icw cars

Is it possible it was drizzly enough that Sarah may have sought temporary refuge in a bus shelter or a driver might stop, to offer her a ride out of the rain?

My impression IS that it wasn't anywhere near rainy.... but....

JMO

Saliva, bodily fluids too.
Also search and rescue dogs perform different tasks.

SAR dogs are either air scenting or ground tracking dogs. They can also be trained to work in specific environments and detect particular scents.

Tracking dogs discriminate and will follow a particular scent. SAR dogs in the UK are predominantly air scenting and do not discriminate by scent. They work as a team with their handler, who is constantly monitoring the conditions for effective searching, e.g. wind direction, other weather variables and other people in the vicinity, which all affect the ability of the dog to find the missing/ill/injured/deceased person.

Within Hoad’s Wood, Ashford. It’s quite a large area, though. Somebody on here had seen the tent up in the woods from aerial footage, but I’m not sure if it was ever posted here. I would be interested in a more precise location, too.

I saw some aerial footage somewhere as well... but I can't find it now. Anyone know where that is?

JMO

The things we know - ie have been mentioned in court - are that three things feature
- two figures on Poynders Road
- vehicle with hazards on
- vehicle with both front doors open

It doesn't say what the figures on Poynders Road were doing, or if both were standing/walking. But assuming she had been walking along the pavement when captured by the police car camera just beforehand, the car would either have had to mount the pavement or be driven across it (from one of the driveways).

It all happened in the space of a few minutes (the timings as given in the magistrates court will be accurate, their value in showing what happened to Sarah has yet to be tested at trial)

I'm not sure how the charge of kidnapped 'by force' fits with a hit and run theory.

I think all will agree that SE did not arrive in Ashford, Kent willingly.

It's the detention of a victim against his or her will that should be the focus here and not simply the term "force." Whether or not the accused grabbed the victim from the street with his bare hands and forced her inside the car, or used a vehicle to disable her before moving her, still results in being taken away by another person against his/her will.

Court charges are stated in legal terms. If one references the criminal code, being taken away by force (or fraud) is only one of four elements for the offence of Kidnapping. The legal verbiage should not be taken literally to detract from the true definition of the charge.

Kidnapping Law in England and Wales

Kidnapping and false imprisonment involve the unlawful and intentional or reckless detention of a victim against his or her will. Often the crime takes place with the purpose of committing another offence, such as assault.

The offence of kidnapping involves four elements:

1. A person is taken away by another person.
  2. The person being taken is taken away by force or fraud (an example of fraud might be lying about who you are or where you are taking the person).
  3. The person being taken does not consent to being taken.
  4. You have no lawful excuse to take that person. This means that for example, a police officer arresting someone who did not want to be arrested would not be guilty of kidnapping if the arrest was legal.
The law in England and Wales treats kidnapping seriously, and defendants will normally be charged with kidnapping in addition to any other offences involved. Those found guilty of kidnapping/false imprisonment can face anywhere from 12 months to 12 years imprisonment.

There is also a separate offence of child abduction, which may be relevant if the victim or alleged victim is under 16. This offence is contained in The Child Abduction Act 1984.

Kidnap And False Imprisonment - Spartans Law.

Is it possible it was drizzly enough that Sarah may have sought temporary refuge in a bus shelter or a driver might stop, to offer her a ride out of the rain?

My impression IS that it wasn't anywhere near rainy.... but....

JMO

I doubt it. The jacket she was wearing was an Arcteryx which is a high end hiking brand. It's either this, or a very similar one. IMO she was equipped for the weather.

Gamma LT Hoody Women's

I am surprised that he pleaded guilty, but of course we do not know what evidence the have.

Great to see this thread re-opened!

Unless he has had some kind of epiphany they must have some very strong evidence for him to have done this - the sentence might be slightly lower but in a murder case it's still going to be a long sentence. It seems from my admittedly limited knowledge that lot of people charged with murder seem to want to give it a try no matter how ridiculous their story is (for example Steven Wright just happened to have picked up his victims the night they were murdered but it was all a coincidence)

Edited for typos

PC Wayne Couzens pleads guilty to kidnap and rape of Sarah Everard

I didn't expect this news. I saw that Wayne Couzens was down for mention at the Old Bailey today but thought it would be for some kind of procedural detail.

My expectation is that he will plead guilty to the murder in due course and I'm interested to know whether the detail of the case against him will then ever be disclosed in full, or whether no trial = no public disclosure. If this was the US, he would perhaps be required to allocute, but not here afaik. Arguably, that would be easier for Sarah's family, although arguably not.

I'm also interested to know the implications of this for the disclosure of any other crimes he may have been suspected of committing, which would ordinarily have been suppressed until after the trial, as far as I understand.

Hopefully some legal peeps will be along soon to educate us.

All JMO.

ETA: Thanks for reopening the thread given the circs!

I am not surprised he has confessed because the evidence seems strong and by the sounds of it he had a mental break of some kind. I’m betting there will be circumstances where he has diminished responsibility.

MOO

So far he has pleaded guilty to kidnap and rape, but hasn't entered a plea to the murder charge.

As close as he got was to say that he was responsible for her death.

PC Wayne Couzens pleads guilty to kidnap and rape of Sarah Everard

"Police constable Wayne Couzens has pleaded guilty to the kidnapping and rape of Sarah Everard, who went missing in March while walking home in south London.

The serving Metropolitan police officer appeared in court on Tuesday accused over the disappearance and death of the 33-year-old marketing executive.

Couzens, 48, also admitted responsibility for her killing. He has not yet entered a plea to the charge that he murdered Everard"

Last edited:
Sarah Everard: Wayne Couzens admits rape and kidnap
rbbm.
''PC Couzens was wearing khaki trousers and a grey sweatshirt as he appeared by video link from Belmarsh jail.

He pleaded guilty to kidnapping Ms Everard "unlawfully and by force or fraud" on 3 March.

He also pleaded guilty to a second charge of rape between 2 and 10 March''

''The court heard that he had accepted responsibility for the killing but medical reports were awaited.

The next plea hearing is due to take place on 9 July.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member