UK UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London - Clapham Common area, 3 March 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think it’s possible to tell the difference between somebody using the power off button and it being shut off in a different way without having access to the physical handset? Can a mobile phone provider supply that sort of information?

I believe I've read here or elsewhere the network provider can tell the difference between a phone being powered off/shut down properly and other types of shut-off like battery running out or being destroyed. Maybe someone else here can provide more info or correct my memory of this.

Do we have any proof the last known location is something that police have gathered from a ping on a phone - I thought this would take longer to get than a couple of days? I still don’t think we can write off the last location being known as a findmyfriends type app or even a live location sharing on WhatsApp - I often do that when I’m travelling home for my partner to track my journey so he can meet me at the station and walk me home.

That's what I mean - if people have urgent info then they can call 999 or visit the police station. Tip lines are for all sorts of information like fraud or petty crime or serious crime when there is no emergency, hence the office hours.

So this 'tip line' isn't just for this case then? It's a general Metropolitan Police line for any old stuff?

The tip line is a way people can contact the police with information relating to the case.

I have noticed that it is a common feature in people posting on social media about sensational news they or relatives/ friends know or have witnessed in a case is that they cannot get hold of the police or they ask readers whether they should report it. They then get the attention they crave.

Good point. Could well be an attention seeker.

Interesting insight. I don't know enough about how these things work.

How would a phone "simply [go] dark"?

I believe if the phone wasn't doing anything that involved transmitted any data - and then i throw it into a lake, then it would simply disappear following its last tower connection

I feel like we have very generic info on the phone so far, and a rough position given from azimuth data probably - but its likely they will figure out a lot more - e.g.

Police reveal details of last sighting of missing woman Sarah Everard | News | The Times

Scotland Yard said she was heading towards Tulse Hill and was halfway into the 50-minute walk to her home, where she lived alone. She has not been identified in footage recovered from a camera further along the same road and her phone has been switched off since then.

As she has not been recognised on footage further along the road does this indicate this is where she went missing?

I haven’t read this yet so I thought I would leave it here: maybe a car accident? she crossed a road, got ran over by a car, phone got broken with the impact, driver was in panick mode and thought he/she has to get rid of the body.

there would be blood though on the road signs an incident had happened maybe items left behind

Police reveal details of last sighting of missing woman Sarah Everard | News | The Times

As she has not been recognised on footage further along the road does this indicate this is where she went missing?

THis could be the CCTV camera discussed above. It doesn't cover the whole footpath, although this report does imply it quite confidently.

Many roads she could have chosen to go down before she reached that camera, including Clarence Av. where her phone was last traced to.

I found it quite difficult to believe that she could have been taken directly from the A205 - it's too busy, open and lit surely.... JMO. Unless she got in a car willingly.

My thinking was that a perp who intends to steal phones would know that removing the sim would be essential (as the owner can lock the phone remotely from another device when they got home, rendering it useless to the thief), and so maybe would carry a pin type object. It could have been a mugging gone wrong, or something more sinister and the perp still chose to remove the sim to ensure their tracks beyond that point were harder to find. Not sure: battery or damage in an attack or disposal is still a strong argument. My old iPhone used to lose battery in the cold too. It SE was using her phone like she was in the CCTV still to call her partner (ie externally, not from a warm pocket using headphones), it could have killed the battery even quicker than she herself was expecting.

Ah yes got you! I hadn’t been thinking along the lines of the primary motive being a mugging. Very good point and in that instance I agree, they’d carry the tools. Although can the handset still be rendered useless by the mobile phone provider regardless of a SIM?

You’re absolutely right about the cold! My go-pro can’t cope in the snow at all. The battery drains in double quick time. Same with my iPhone. This could definitely have had an impact on battery life.

Hi! Newbie here! Longtime lurker but never posted.

Does anyone else find it strange that the partner was the last person to speak to her and the person who was also meeting up with her the next day? And also the first to raise the alarm? I’m not pointing fingers here but wondering if the conversation they had was different and she went back to his flat (which may be nearby) and something happened? An accident maybe?

This map may help follow Sarah's route -
London Traffic Cameras - Live TfL JamCam Feeds
I presume she wasn't caught on the camera by Poynders/Kings Ave. Though it's possible she was right against the pavement wall and out of view. There aren't many TFL cameras on that stretch so really hoping they've picked up more on private cameras - though the block between Cavendish and Kings is largely flats with limited commercial premises on one side making it less likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CindyW1974