UK - Scarlett Vickers (14) stabbed to death at home in Darlington. Parents charged with murder (5 July '24)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@bobbymkii could you share a little context on the procedures of the relevant courts? (Eg. disputing the facts, moving to crown court, etc.) I’m completely unfamiliar with this context.
Well IANAL but if I'm given an opportunity to do a bit of guerilla lawsplaining I'm usually happy to give it a go!

So they've been charged and had their magistrates court appearance, where all cases start. Obviously, murder is way too serious for a magistrates court to deal with so the next hearing according to the media I've picked up is next month at crown court. Seems to be quite a long time until they get to Crown Court, usually it's a lot sooner. I've even seen big murder cases before where the defendant has been in the magistrate's court in the morning and then crown court in the afternoon. There was also (IIRC) mention that they could apply for bail this week.

It's always a bit hush-hush at this stage and difficult to work out exactly what's going on, no indication that I can see about when they'll be expected to enter a plea. I believe they can apply for a hearing to dismiss the charges.

Other things that might happen between now and the next court date in August is a coroner's inquest which will get as far as it can before being suspended until the trial's conclusion. We might get more information made public after their Crown Court hearing next month, we might not! That's unfortunately how transparency (or the lack thereof) works in the England & Wales criminal justice system.

Well IANAL but if I'm given an opportunity to do a bit of guerilla lawsplaining I'm usually happy to give it a go!

So they've been charged and had their magistrates court appearance, where all cases start. Obviously, murder is way too serious for a magistrates court to deal with so the next hearing according to the media I've picked up is next month at crown court. Seems to be quite a long time until they get to Crown Court, usually it's a lot sooner. I've even seen big murder cases before where the defendant has been in the magistrate's court in the morning and then crown court in the afternoon. There was also (IIRC) mention that they could apply for bail this week.

It's always a bit hush-hush at this stage and difficult to work out exactly what's going on, no indication that I can see about when they'll be expected to enter a plea. I believe they can apply for a hearing to dismiss the charges.

Other things that might happen between now and the next court date in August is a coroner's inquest which will get as far as it can before being suspended until the trial's conclusion. We might get more information made public after their Crown Court hearing next month, we might not! That's unfortunately how transparency (or the lack thereof) works in the England & Wales criminal justice system.

Can you think of any reason for such a delay for the Crown Court hearing???

All I keep thinking is that there might be facts we just do not understand or know yet....

<modsnip - off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
The best scenario here is like others have suggested a tragic accident during an argument or something similar. However the parents have been charged with murder, not manslaughter, therefore we have to presume there is evidence to suggest there was premeditation and intent for CPS to agree with the charge.

It is a long time to move it from the Mags over to the crown for the first appearance - very odd indeed - 28 days is the statutory though it can be longer. We have a young victim here though and they are charged with murder both being in custody.
Just edited to add it looks like they will apply for bail tomorrow ( Wednesday )

It is a long time to move it from the Mags over to the crown for the first appearance - very odd indeed - 28 days is the statutory though it can be longer. We have a young victim here though and they are charged with murder both being in custody.
Just edited to add it looks like they will apply for bail tomorrow ( Wednesday )
I always have my beady eye on the listings for Teesside Crown Court as it's the closest court to where I grew up. I even did jury service in there once!

Can you think of any reason for such a delay for the Crown Court hearing???

All I keep thinking is that there might be facts we just do not understand or know yet....

<modsnip - off topic>
<modsnip - quoted post was snipped>

I'm certainly at a loss to work out how or why there's such a big gap between the magistrate's and crown court appearances. Wouldn't it be great if we could just have transparency in our justice system rather than having to wildly speculate all the time?

Last edited by a moderator:
2pm tomorrow - Teesside CC = court no 8. HIS HONOUR JUDGE J CARROLL presiding
SITTING AT 02:00 pm

For Preliminary Hearing
U20243854Simon Vickers & Sarah Hall 11DD0225624
(Class 1) Defts by PVL to HMP Durham F-wing/ Low Newton

I think this is some kitchen argument that’s gone horribly wrong.
JMO

But
Wouldn't it be a tragic accident?
Or manslaughter?

Besides,
It was 1 stab.
The stabber seemed to be very precise to kill with only one stab.

JMO

Last edited:
But
Wouldn't it be a tragic accident?
Or manslaughter?

Besides,
It was 1 stab.
The stabber seemed to be very precise to kill with only one stab.

JMO
I worked with a young person many years ago, who killed a relative with a single stab wound.

It was an accident. The relatives were arguing heatedly in the kitchen, the eventual victim snatched up a knife from the draining board and lunged at the unarmed one. The unarmed one struggled to disarm his attacker and eventually did but in the physical chaos the original aggressor got a small stab wound.

Trouble was that the small stab wound hit the femoral artery and he bled out in minutes - way before the ambulance arrived.

My young colleague was charged with murder because the law dictated he should be. The matter of murder V tragic accident V manslaughter was left to the jury to decide (they found him not guilty).

Neither precision nor intent can be presumed when someone dies from a single stab wound IMO - sometimes it's just sheer, terrible, devastating bad luck.

I worked with a young person many years ago, who killed a relative with a single stab wound.

It was an accident. The relatives were arguing heatedly in the kitchen, the eventual victim snatched up a knife from the draining board and lunged at the unarmed one. The unarmed one struggled to disarm his attacker and eventually did but in the physical chaos the original aggressor got a small stab wound.

Trouble was that the small stab wound hit the femoral artery and he bled out in minutes - way before the ambulance arrived.

My young colleague was charged with murder because the law dictated he should be. The matter of murder V tragic accident V manslaughter was left to the jury to decide (they found him not guilty).

Neither precision nor intent can be presumed when someone dies from a single stab wound IMO - sometimes it's just sheer, terrible, devastating bad luck.

My point was
that the parents were charged with MURDER, meaning intentionally killing.

The poster I quoted wrote
it might have been an argument in the kitchen.

So
I answered that in such case it would be:
- an accidental tragedy
- manslaughter

If they are charged with murder
there seemed to be no accident/argument.

But
Intentional murder.
And 1 precise stab.

I hope I'm understood now.

JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics