GUILTY UK - Shana Grice, 19, murdered at her Brighton home, 25 Aug 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think he's saying he wanted clarity - is the relationship really off because you're not behaving like it is.

But I think he said that after they met up on the 23rd they decided it was properly off, he says himself he heard nothing from her on the 24th but then at 7.30am on the 25th decides to pop round and check things are definitely off? Hmm.

But I think he said that after they met up on the 23rd they decided it was properly off, he says himself he heard nothing from her on the 24th but then at 7.30am on the 25th decides to pop round and check things are definitely off? Hmm.

I haven't seen those comments from him about 23rd and 24th. Maybe it's in a link I haven't checked, so I'll have a look.

Am just quickly reading through and catching up ... didn't Lane have/take a key at some point?

Even if that key was returned, I'd fully expect someone of his type to have got a copy cut before giving back the original to placate Sharna and give her a false sense of security.
They changed the locks.

[FONT=&amp]Lane described a turbulent ten-month relationship with his on-off lover who he met when they both worked at Brighton Fire Alarms in Foredown Drive, Portslade, in June 2015 and would often see each other at their local pub, the Mile Oak Inn.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Despite being getting back with her former partner Ashley Cooke, Lane and Miss Grice met on August 23 to have sex at Langfords Hotel in Hove – the same night the couple mutually decided to stop seeing each other.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The court heard that in a goodbye text message he said: “We both know now we can’t be together, there has to be a total end, as hard as it may be for both of us.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Two days later Lane said he decided to pop over to Shana’s house to see why she was not at work after driving through the area and spotting her car.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Mr Russell Flint: “What time did you leave home?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Lane: “7.25am”[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Mr Russell Flint: “Where were you planning to go?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Lane: “I was planning to go and see Shana.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Mr RF: “Why?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Lane: “To make sure we wouldn’t have contact again in relation to us meeting up and having contact like had happened before.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Mr RF: “Had she been in contact on Wednesday 24?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Lane: “No.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Mr RF: “So why at 7.25am in the morning did you think it was necessary to go round to her house after the texts the night before?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Lane: “I don’t know.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Lane tells the court what he is seen carrying in a CCTV image after leaving his car parked near Miss Grice’s home.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Mr RF: “Why didn’t you turn into Chrisdory Road [Miss Grice’s street]?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Lane: “I was thinking about what to say to her and talk about.”
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mr RF: “What was in your hand?”[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Lane: “I believe it’s a T-shirt.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][Defence presents blue Ralph Lauren T-shirt to the court as evidence.] Mr RF: “Not a baseball cap or high-vis jacket?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lane: “No.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mr RF: “Why were you carrying the spare T-shirt?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lane: “Because the white T-shirt I slept in the night before.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lane tells the court a man seen on CCTV in a high-vis jacket and hoodie withdrawing money from Miss Grice’s account is not him.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mr RF: “High-vis vest, shorts, cap. Is that you?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mr RF: “When we saw you earlier at 7.29am about to walk into Sefton Road, did you have a brown hoodie with you?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lane: “No, I didn’t.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mr RF: “Did you have items of clothing left at her home?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lane: “Items were collected on my behalf.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mr RF: “What may well be suggested to you is that is a picture of you having just killed Shana and got her bank card to go down to the ATM. Is that you withdrawing £60 from her account?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lane: “That’s not me.”
Lane tells the court he bought a bottle of water at 8.12am then went to her house after driving past her road and noticing her car was there when she would normally be at work.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mr RF: “Did you go to her front door?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lane: “Yes.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mr RF: “With the intention of doing what?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lane: “Just to see why she was in.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mr RF: “What did you see when you got to the front door?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lane: “It was open... I took a couple of steps in. She was slumped against the bed.”
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mr RF: “How did she seem?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lane: “She wasn’t moving.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mr RF: “Did you see anything?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lane: “I saw blood on the bed and the floor.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mr RF: “What did you think?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lane: “I thought she was dead.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mr RF: “Did you check to see if there were signs of life?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mr RF: “Did you think about phoning paramedics?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lane: “No. Because I was just in shock.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lane said he got in his car and drove home.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mr RF: “Was there anybody at home?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lane: “My mother and brother.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mr RF: “Did you tell anyone?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lane: “I didn’t want to get the blame for it because of all the accusations made about me before.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mr RF: “What did you do whilst there?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lane: “I had a shower because of the shock of what I’d seen.”

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1516...rt__I_saw_Shana_s_body_but_I_didn_t_kill_her/
[/FONT]

8:12 shop cctv white t-shirt
8:45 shop cctv striped t-shirt
9:15 Vicar sees him in white t-shirt
9:30 Neighbour sees man in high viz jacket no shirt underneath, no cap, on the path

Some time bank withdrawal location unknown - brown hoodie and high viz jacket and possibly a cap

I wonder if his mum will be called as a witness to him going home and showering.

It's in this one:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1516...rt__I_saw_Shana_s_body_but_I_didn_t_kill_her/

Although it seems to say both that he checked on Shana because he saw her car was there at an unusual time AND that he had planned to go there for this purpose of checking they were definitely off!

I agree, why say he wanted to check on their relationship status but then go in because he noticed her car was there.

Going back to our earlier posts, I think he must have texted her on 24th but she didn't reply.

What's sad is that they fined her for wasting the police and court's time and now she's dead. Horrible police work.

So Shana had a car and drove to work.

Why did Lane think it odd that her car was still at her house at 7.29am and say that she should have been at work at that time ? - the drive is 20 mins and she started at 9am.

What's sad is that they fined her for wasting the police and court's time and now she's dead. Horrible police work.

It's confusing because she was seeing him secretly at that time, and police were shown messages where she was affectionate to him.

So Shana had a car and drove to work.

Why did Lane think it odd that her car was still at her house at 7.29am and say that she should have been at work at that time ? - the drive is 20 mins and she started at 9am.

I'm confused about all these timings Alyce, because it seems he is saying that he went there after he bought the water at 8:12. I wonder if she started work at 8am, because she had left the job at Brighton Fire Alarms in April, when her relationship with Lane was uncovered.

Ah yes, that's right. Shana was working at the cash and carry by then , so could have been an 8am start.

Splitting hairs maybe, but she worked at the head office of Palmer and Harvey which is wholesale distribution rather than cash and carry. So definitely an office job but obv an 8am start wouldn't be unusual even so.

[FONT=&amp]The court heard that in a goodbye text message he said: “We both know now we can’t be together, there has to be a total end, as hard as it may be for both of us.”[/FONT]

I think they have the right guy.

I've been thinking about this message he sent and I think it reveals quite a bit about him.

"we both know now we can't be together" - "can't" means it's been imposed, it's not by choice. It's the type of thing one would say in a situation where a parent has enforced a ban, or there is another partner who has to be given priority. It's interesting because Shana did make a choice, and the only person it's really being imposed on is him, but he uses the term "we both know now" so he is casting Shana in a false situation. So what he's saying isn't based in reality and I think it was sent as a record of a pretence of accepting the situation. It's quite sinister because he is projecting Shana's choice as something "we both" have to suffer for now.

"total end" - I think this reveals his state of mind - it is a veiled reference to his plan to kill her. A total ending is a person without hope, not a person in love.

"as hard as it may be for both of us" - again he is projecting a false image, as Shana preferred to be with AC, but he isn't referring only to himself, which shows he will be forcing her to share in his suffering.

I think once he'd made his plan he couldn't help himself sending this as a warning, and may have even got some satisfaction from it also looking like a record of an acceptance of her wishes, but his inclusion of her in everything he experienced could also be how he viewed her as belonging to him.

Looks like Lane has finished giving evidence - so only a few hours in total with Friday and today.

Lewes Crown Court 1 T20167363

michael lane

Details: Trial (Part Heard) - Witness evidence concluded - 12:42

I'm missing Tara and the Cambridge News!

I agree about the text Tortoise, I find the wording very suspect.

Couple of snips:

At Lewes Crown Court this morning when asked why he told police he went to her house two days later – the day of her death – he said: “To go and speak to her to make sure she didn’t talk to me again.”

His response prompted sighs from the packed public gallery.

During cross examination while Lane, 27, was in the dock, prosecutor Philip Bennetts asked: “You had agreed [not to see each other], you had parted on good terms. Why did you go to her house?

Lane said: “I didn’t want us to be in contact again.”

Mr Bennetts also asked Lane if he had been stalking Miss Grice.

He said: “I suppose so, yes.”

But he told jurors he never followed her and had only installed a tracker on her car to “see where she was”.

Lane claims he found Miss Grice dead in her room but did not tell anyone because he feared he would be blamed.

[...]

When interviewed, Lane told police while he was at New Barn Farm his mother had been calling him, he thought to tell him she had received a phone call from The Argus.

Today he told the jury how he had hidden the trainers and went back to move them because he knew they had blood on them.

He said: “I was going to take them back to mum and talk to mum about them, about what to do with them and how to hand them in.”

But then he saw the car and “hid them in a bush”.

Then he recognised a policeman who had taken him into custody, so called his mum and asked her to pick him up and never told her about the trainers, he said.

When asked why he did not tell police where the trainers were he said he “knew” they would find them.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15168642.Lane__I_went_to_Shana_s_to_tell_her_not_to_contact_me_again/

Lewes Crown Court 1 T20167363

michael lane

Details: Trial (Part Heard) - Witness evidence concluded - 12:42

Trial (Part Heard) - Case adjourned until 14:00 - 12:44

Trial (Part Heard) - Legal Submissions - 14:12

Log for tomorrow

The Crown Court

at Lewes
Daily List for Tuesday 21 March 2017 at THE LAW COURTS, 182 HIGH STREET, LEWES

Court 1 - sitting at 10:30 am

THE HONOURABLE MR JUSTICE GREEN

NOT BEFORE 10:30 am