GUILTY UK - Sian O'Callaghan, 22, Swindon, Wiltshire, 19 March 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just popped back to see if anything had been added. This does seem an unusually long delay in going to trial.

it is curious why Halliwell isn't being prosecuted for the murder of Becky Godden-Edwards as he led the police to her body.

Probably because there is no evidence after so much time has elapsed.

just thought you should know that CH is appearing in Bristol Crown court tomorrow (19th Oct) to change his plea to guilty

IIRC at the time there were no signs of sexual assault found. Seems this was not the case.

Earlier the court heard harrowing details of how Halliwell picked Sian up from outside a nightclub and took her to Savernake Forest, where he sexually assaulted and then twice stabbed her in the back of the head before strangling her.

The court has broken for lunch. Later this afternoon Halliwell will be sentenced.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/...in_court_over_Sian_O_Callaghan_murder/?ref=nt

He's been sentenced to a minimum of 25 years.

Also it is curious why Halliwell isn't being prosecuted for the murder of Becky Godden-Edwards as he led the police to her body.

Probably because there is no evidence after so much time has elapsed.

Regarding Becky there was insufficient evidence unfortunately!!!

Apparently due to Det Fulcher not following proper police procedure

The second charge, involving Becky Godden-Edwards, was withdrawn after a High Court judge ruled that Detective Superintendent Steve Fulcher breached Halliwell's rights by failing to caution him and denying him a solicitor in an attempt to force information out of him.

http://www.itv.com/news/

Det Fulcher is also suspended pending investigation by the IPCC over inappropriate contact with the media

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2012...pended-over-inappropriate-contact-with-media/

Detective Superintendent Steve Fulcher, who was criticised for breaching the rights of murderer Christopher Halliwell during the hunt for Sian O'Callaghan, has been suspended.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/9997012.Detective_in_Sian_case_suspended/?ref=twt

The DSI directed officers to take him to Barbury Castle rather than the police station in a last-ditch bid to find Sian alive. After a nine-minute conversation Halliwell offered to take detectives to Uffington, where the 22-year-old’s body was recovered.....

.... Mr Fulcher said: “My view was there is an equation to balance between right to silence and right to life. My view was Sian’s right to life took prior claim.”

....Mr Latham QC then said: “You were not sailing close to the wind, you made a decision to sail into the wind. The judgement was that Sian’s life was more important than PACE.”
To which Mr Fulcher simply said: “Yes.”

read it all here http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/...in_court_over_Sian_O_Callaghan_murder/?ref=nt

I can't express how angry I am. Once again our excuse for a so-called justice system puts the rights of low-life murdering scum above the life of an innocent person. It was too late for Sian, but there was no way of knowing that at the time.

:rage:

It's got Daily Mail upset:

Taxi driver jailed for life for murdering nightclubber, 22, he picked up as
she walked home - but escapes justice for second killing after police blunder

• Father-of-three Christopher Halliwell has been jailed for life for the murder of Sian O'Callaghan
• The taxi driver may have escaped justice over a SECOND murder due to a police blunder, after a judge ruled Halliwell's rights were breached by a detective
• The charge - linked to the death of Becky Godden-Edwards - has been withdrawn following allegations of breaches of police protocol
• Police fear there could be many more victims
• Halliwell abused his position as a taxi driver to carry out a brutal attack on a 'much-loved' woman who had 'everything to live for', a judge said

'The IPCC has already concluded an independent investigation into five complaints against Wiltshire Police relating to the actions of the police during the investigation.

'Three of these complaints were upheld and the force has agreed our recommendation to offer the complainant an apology.

So the police have got to apologise to this vile ?

You couldn't make it up. :banghead:

So the police have got to apologise to this vile ?

You couldn't make it up. :banghead:

Yes, they may have to apologise, but what good is it going to do him? Is it going to get him a candy bar or a free day out? An apology to a lifer means nothing.

That's not the point. It just shows up the warped priorities of our laughable "justice" system.

The police just couldn't win this one. If they'd waited to get Halliwell a solicitor, the brief would have stopped him saying anything. So he wouldn't have taken them to Becky's grave, and no one would ever have known what had become of her. I hope her family realise that. Mr Fulcher got them a result.

That's not the point. It just shows up the warped priorities of our laughable "justice" system.

The police just couldn't win this one. If they'd waited to get Halliwell a solicitor, the brief would have stopped him saying anything. So he wouldn't have taken them to Becky's grave, and no one would ever have known what had become of her. I hope her family realise that. Mr Fulcher got them a result.

Her mum appears to.

Becky Godden-Edwards’ mother last night praised the actions of suspended detective Steve Fulcher and said he was a “hero” who had lost his job trying to catch a killer
But Mrs Edwards refused to criticise DS Fulcher and instead condemned the law for putting the killer’s rights above those of her daughter.
He is a dedicated police officer and a committed family man and he has lost his job, doing his job – trying to catch a murderer.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...en-Edwards-mother-praises-police-actions.html

Mrs Edwards has vowed to continue fighting for justice for her daughter and has said she will also campaign to have DS Fulcher reinstated and cleared of any wrongdoing.

Ahhh, I'm so pleased to read that. That copper really cared, it came over so strongly. We need more like him.

Can't believe it, the police offer an apology to this murdering, cowardly *advertiser censored*. The very thought that anyone could even suggest such a thing, would make you want to tear your hair out with rage!!!

I remember being very impressed by Det Supt Steve Fulcher when he was giving his press conferences. I have a feeling his career as a policeman could now be over but he could have a successful career as an ex-cop in the media like John Stalker did.

He broke the rules behaving like a maverick tv detective but for the best of intentions.

I have a feeling his career as a policeman could now be over but he could have a successful career as an ex-cop in the media like John Stalker did.

What a waste that would be. I know that if someone dear to me was abducted, I'd want someone like DS Fulcher to be on the case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018
Back