GUILTY UK - Star Hobson, 16 months, murdered, Sep 2020 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't think she could empathise with Star and probably didn't understand the gravity of implications. I haven't followed closely as l can't go there at the moment but she was crying a lot. I am glad she is carrying the horror of what happened with her, that at least is no less than she deserves.

I don't think she could empathise with Star and probably didn't understand the gravity of implications. I haven't followed closely as l can't go there at the moment but she was crying a lot. I am glad she is carrying the horror of what happened with her, that at least is no less than she deserves.
IMO she’s crying for herself and the fact that she’s got to go to prison. I don’t think she (or her barrister) believed she would actually end up serving time. I think she genuinely expected to just walk away from this without a backward glance.
I have strong suspicions that the skull fracture was caused by Frankie. It was around this time that Star ripped the ticket that Frankie was so heartbroken for.
MOO
I’ve been wondering about this too. Even the judge didn’t seem convinced that SB caused the skull fracture. As far as I can see there were no searches on SB’s phone regarding head injuries (and given she searched literally everything, this was surprising). IMO the original leg fracture and skull fracture were both caused at the same time; probably by picking Star up by her leg and swinging her against the wall. I found it odd that no one in court sought to give an explanation for who would have caused those injuries if it wasn’t SB :’(

I have strong suspicions that the skull fracture was caused by Frankie. It was around this time that Star ripped the ticket that Frankie was so heartbroken for.
MOO

The skull fracture was said to have been 5 to 10 days before her death, it showed signs of healing, the ticket incident wasn't as early as that

Last edited:
I think what the judge meant is that she can’t be 100% sure based on the evidence when and how the fractures occurred. The judge is sure that SB assaulted Star on the other occasions because of cctv evidence/pictures and videos of the bruises.

There was testimony given in court that SB used to swing Star by her legs as a punishment. This was in the testimony of the minor which wasn’t included in the live reporting, however, it is mentioned in one of the sun articles. The judge could well suspect that that is the cause of the leg fracture, but cannot prove it enough to say she is sure. MOO

I was quite surprised on the sentencing; I felt that the judge was off on the mitigating factors. I don’t see how SB’s medical history impacts here at all, whilst the nuances of FS’ difficulties weren’t taken into account. It’s not just that lots of people who have a low IQ don’t abuse their children, it’s the susceptibility to outside variables such as SB’s gaslighting. I honestly feel it’s a sad perfect storm of psychological based issues, and each issue on its own probably wouldn’t have been enough to cause this tragic outcome; FS’ low IQ, immaturity, ACEs, and lack of empathetic bond with Star are added together and meant she was no match for SB.

FS also admitted to cruelty during the trial, whereas SB showed no remorse - if anything she treated the whole thing with disdain.

FS failed her daughter. Ultimately it was her responsibility to keep Star safe, and she sat back and watched while SB murdered her. The judge was bang on the money - she absolutely deserves that sentence.
I would presume (hope) that when FS gets out she would have any further children automatically taken away. She clearly is a lousy parent. Her low IQ plays no part in what she did imo...plenty of people have low IQs and don't abuse their kids.

I agree. I'm surprised some people think the sentence is too harsh.

I wish SB had got longer but hopefully she won't be let out right at the end of her minimum term.

I think ultimately none of us want to see child murderers like ET or SB (and many, many others) walk away with anything less than life-meaning-life. Normal, decent people just cannot comprehend what they did and we need the sentencing to reflect the gravity of the offence.

Maybe it’s the sentencing guidelines that need a thorough overhaul if every case like this immediately brings official criticism for too-lenient sentencing and referral to the AG.

SB will be in her element in prison. She's a baby-beater with no limits, and a big strong fit woman who will quickly have people frightened of her and a lot of slaves, girlfriends, and hangers-on. As someone else listed, she'll have food, medical care, gym, and TV. It doesn't seem like enough of a 'price' to pay for that poor little girl's months'-long suffering and death.

I'm not sure about FS and obviously the judge/jury didn't quite know what to make of her, either? Did she crack that tiny baby's head against a wall and twist her leg till it broke? Was she SO stupid she didn't even NOTICE a fracture or did she know who did it and didn't want to get SB into trouble? But the thought of her on her phone while the baby tried slowly and painfully to climb the stairs, plus dragging her round the shops that time, plus all those other little cruelties we heard about, to my mind mean she deserved a lot longer sentence than she got.

SB will be in her element in prison. She's a baby-beater with no limits, and a big strong fit woman who will quickly have people frightened of her and a lot of slaves, girlfriends, and hangers-on. As someone else listed, she'll have food, medical care, gym, and TV. It doesn't seem like enough of a 'price' to pay for that poor little girl's months'-long suffering and death.

I'm not sure about FS and obviously the judge/jury didn't quite know what to make of her, either? Did she crack that tiny baby's head against a wall and twist her leg till it broke? Was she SO stupid she didn't even NOTICE a fracture or did she know who did it and didn't want to get SB into trouble? But the thought of her on her phone while the baby tried slowly and painfully to climb the stairs, plus dragging her round the shops that time, plus all those other little cruelties we heard about, to my mind mean she deserved a lot longer sentence than she got.
Is it possible that FS will be charged with more offences and tried on her own at some future point? Is that how it works? It makes no sense to me that the judge shrugged off the skull and leg fractures, saying it can't be proved that SB caused them.

Is it possible that FS will be charged with more offences and tried on her own at some future point? Is that how it works? It makes no sense to me that the judge shrugged off the skull and leg fractures, saying it can't be proved that SB caused them.
I very much doubt it. I imagine it wouldn’t be in the “public interest” to pursue further charges against her.

I’m still baffled why they weren’t charged with cruelty.

I Definately think FS deserves more time. This 8 years down to 4 not good. I know she has been credited time served but 10 years would have been more realistic.
I do think she caused some of the injuries. That head fracture that No One has been made accountable for. MOO

I disagree, there is no evidence that FS caused or knew about any serious injuries, or knew about any injurious assaults at all before the recycling plant weekend. It just can’t be proven beyond all doubt that SB caused the skull and leg fractures, although with the skull fracture it does fit within the timeline of the recycling plant CCTV.

I believe it was on the “ought to have known” basis that FS was convicted.

Star Hobson murder: Court of Appeal to review Frankie Smith' sentence

Suella Braverman said she had referred Smith's sentence to the Court of Appeal as she thought it was "unduly lenient".

Ms Braverman MP said: "This is a tragic and extremely upsetting case and my thoughts are with all those who loved Star Hobson.

"This vulnerable and innocent child was subjected to continued physical abuse, and her mother, Frankie Smith, allowed it to happen."

However, she said she would not be referring Brockhill's sentence to the Court of Appeal.

She said: "I can only challenge a sentence if it is not just lenient but unduly so, such that the sentencing judge made a gross error or imposed a sentence outside the range of sentences reasonably available in the circumstances of the offence.

"The threshold is a high one, and the test was not met in this case."

A date for the Court of Appeal hearing is yet to be announced.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elementpro
Back