Found Deceased UK - Susan McLean, 61, U.S. tourist, Aberfeldy, Scotland, 17 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm dragging myself out of a several years long lurkdom to express my gratitude to HH & LJ. You guys are truly remarkable and one should be so lucky to know a person half as dedicated as y'all were to finding your friend. And I see I'm not the only one who thinks that way. :)

Because of your efforts, Susan was afforded a proper goodbye from her loved ones. Without your help, it breaks my heart to think that Susan would still be lying alone on that cold, wet patch of twigs. I hope she's resting well.

xo

I bet LJ would really appreciate these kind thoughts expressed in these posts. I really hope she will share her story with the world as there was so much more than just searching and finding Susan. I would love to read about the backstory as well.

Yes, I really appreciate the kind sentiments expressed in your posts. Best holiday wishes to you, my WS friends.

LJ, I've thought of you often these last months. I hope you are well.

Yes, I really appreciate the kind sentiments expressed in your posts. Best holiday wishes to you, my WS friends.

How are you doing? And have you heard from HH??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Friends,
I've been thinking of how to say this for a month now, and the words still don't come to me easily.
There were 7 of us searching for Susan in the forest the day we found her, and two others who were a short distance away at the nursery with Barra the recovery dog. Sadly, one of our group of seven ended his life just before Christmas. He and his buddy showed up to help us search, and they were most helpful and protective when Susan was found. They were so patient waiting for the detectives to arrive from 2 hours away to interview each of us, when they could have been out for a Saturday night. It's really hard to know that he met a similar death in isolation and despair.
Please send your thoughts/prayers/karma/whatever to his friends and family in Scotland, and to anyone you know with the black shadow of depression.

OMG....

I meant to ask you, Lumberjill, if you were still in contact with all the members of your team, and if you knew how all of them are doing.... such a shock. This is so sad, so terribly sad.

Peace to all the friends and family.

:candle: :candle: :candle:

I smiled when I saw you'd replied but then read this very sad news. How tragic. Hope you're ok.

Zazzz,
I routinely stay in touch with a fellow searcher, voyeuristically. I watch his FaceBook posts, and vice versa, with a monthly PM to say hi. He keeps me up to date about things in Aberfeldy. And a kind woman who shared her home and searched with us still email I occasionally, as does the newspaper reporter. I'd love to hear from hippyhippy, as would many of you I'm sure. I reconnect every couple of months with 2 others that were so helpful brainstorming and planning logistics over good lunches.

Tomorrow it will be one year since Susan McLean disappeared. How quickly time passes....

All the best to those who miss her on this difficult day.

:rose:

Tomorrow it will be one year since Susan McLean disappeared. How quickly time passes....

All the best to those who miss her on this difficult day.

:rose:

Wow, that really has flown by..... Susan quickly became very special to many of us and this thread, in particular, makes me proud to be a member here. If anyone hasn't read it before, take some time to. Human nature at it's best.

Lumberjill / Hippy Hippy / Equivet - how are you all doing a year on?

It can't have been a year already? This case was so awfully sad, yet it renewed my faith in the love and power of friendship, as well as the kindness of strangers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I can't believe the one year is tomorrow.. It pains me that when we lose a loved one, life has to go on.. Time passes. New life blooms and other life is gone.. Just makes me sad. But everyone who helped find Susan has really restored my faith in humanity.. You don't find many like Lorna, Hippy and the others who devoted themselves day in and day out to find someone.. Who most of them don't even know. Thank you you guys. You are amazing human beings.. Lorna, my thoughts are with you and all of Susan's family and friends that truly loved her. Tomorrow will not be easy but she is up there watching down on y'all. RIP Susan. [emoji177]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I retraced Susan's last walk, took the two dogs and also my mother and we laid flowers at Susan's tree. There are still a few gifts that others have left there....Scottish shortbread, a Chapstick! And of course Lornas little stone with her own personal message written on it. We said a prayer for Susan and her family and friends. We spent quite a while there under those pine trees, the dogs eventually lay down and waited patiently for us to continue our walk. It truly is a beautiful spot, more so now that Susan's spirit watches over. Thank you all again at Websleuths for encouraging me each day I was searching and for being the way that Lorna was able to make contact and so selflessly come all this way to bring this story to a close. She is surely an inspiration to us all for how to care for each other.

That's so lovely HH, it sounds like Susan chose somewhere beautiful and peaceful to end her story.

Glad you are ok. You changed things here, for me. It can be easy to dehumanise cases sometimes as we get so fixed on the mystery but you made this case real for all of us. So a big thanks to you for that.

I retraced Susan's last walk, took the two dogs and also my mother and we laid flowers at Susan's tree. There are still a few gifts that others have left there....Scottish shortbread, a Chapstick! And of course Lornas little stone with her own personal message written on it. We said a prayer for Susan and her family and friends. We spent quite a while there under those pine trees, the dogs eventually lay down and waited patiently for us to continue our walk. It truly is a beautiful spot, more so now that Susan's spirit watches over. Thank you all again at Websleuths for encouraging me each day I was searching and for being the way that Lorna was able to make contact and so selflessly come all this way to bring this story to a close. She is surely an inspiration to us all for how to care for each other.

*ugly cry sob* God bless you hippy.

A friend from Perthshire visited Susan's site today to plant forget-me-nots and periwinkle. Susan would have loved all the dogs that visited today. And she's smiling down on us WebSleuthers with thanks and love. The people of Aberfeldy left a nice message and flowers at the gate where Loch Hoil Trail begins. Hippy Hippy, thank you, again. I am amazed how unperturbed things are. My last visit was over 8 months ago, but things are basically the same. I left her the Chapstick because she wouldn't leave home without it.
The final pic shows again how close she was to the north edge of the forest. It was the same to the south edge, just not pictured.

Long and windy update of my police complaint. If you're busy, just skip to the last paragraph: I submitted a many page letter to Police Scotland. Interestingly, I received the reply ten days ago from Chief Superintendent Carole Auld. The responder essentially dropped every point of my complaint, beginning with HH's bloody dog. He swears that they handled the that piece properly, since they didn't know about the blood...
Then the Neutrogena lip balm from which the Police Scotland labs could not find ANY DNA, Chief Sup sidetracks, saying that Susan's family was sure it was not hers. Chief Sup avoids the issue of the lab not finding any DNA on the lip balm. In retrospect, based on the mold on the side of the tube, I'm sure it was not Susan's. However, that doesn't excuse a lab that couldn't find DNA! However DS Wilkie has now changed his story, saying now that he didn't tell me that there was no DNA. Rather, he is now saying that he said they didn't find Susan's DNA. I really don't like people who change their story when somebody holds their feet to the fire. And now Chief Sup goes on to say that they found a blood stain with traces of DNA, but not Susan's. It sure sounds like he is mixing up the blood stain on HH's blanket with the lip balm. It would be exceptional to find blood on the lip balm.
Incidentally, Chief Sup has twice referred to DS Smith. I think HH met with Smith, but my only meetings were with DS Wilkie. So when Chief Sup does "not uphold this aspect of ... complaint", I wanna shout that he doesn't even have his people's names straight. So I do not uphold his response to my allegations.
Then Chief Sup goes into my asking DS Wilkie for the search grids so that I could really see where the search and rescue teams and police had actually walked. Wilkie had told me that they covered the whole area from Gatehouse Nursery along Loch Hoil Trail to the Birks to Moness Resort. And when I pushed for thorough details, he said they covered the entire area both immediately with search and rescue dogs and a couple weeks later with cadaver dogs. But he could not give me the search grids, and I should just believe that they had covered the entire area. He pointed out the area of interest on a map on the back of his door, where the area was about two inches by two inches. A lot of help he was! Then after we found Susan, Sup Murdoch told Kirsty McIntosh, The Courier's journalist, that the police "could not have search every square inch" yet they searched the trails. Well, why wasn't the story consistent between DS Wilkie and Sup Murdoch? Wilkie claims that he was told by his Det Sup and Det Insp not to provide details of the police's search grids. He also claims that he showed me the map of the search area, the 2"X2" map on the back of his door, yet he never said the area was fully searched. How convenient to change the story after 9 months.
Then Chief Sup says that they couldn't have given me any more information because I was not next of kin, even though I arrived with a notarized letter from the next of kin authorizing me to search on his behalf. And in the end, it was NOT Susan's next of kin who went to Scotland to arrange cremation. How could they allow not-next-of-kin to cremate and repatriate Susan, yet not allow me information to search for her? Makes no sense.
Then, in relation to the bottle of vodka, DS Wilkie now says he that he didn't tell me about the bottle because he didn't know it was a bottle of vodka. The first witness, the one who saw Susan walking uphill about 5 or 10 minutes from Moness Resort also claims he didn't see her with a bottle of vodka. However when I pressed him for details, he admitted that he saw her with some kind of a bottle, but he could not verify it was vodka. Like we really care if it was vodka or rum. I think that's what Wilkie would also claim if I pressed him on it.
And when I claimed that Police Scotland was negligent by not checking inside the forest sections (yet implying that they had), he assures me that they searched in accordance with training provided by the Police National Search Centre. Nothing like passing the buck.
I could go on for the remaining two pages of the Chief Sup's response to my complaints. Suffice it to say that each allegation was not upheld because of changed stories by police, or by passing the buck to another agency, or by referring only to press/media releases instead of the Q&A info provided to the press.
I've said too much already.

Thank you all so much for your support ever since I learned of WS. I love you all!

Lumberjill Lorna

Attachments

• Flowers at gate susan3.jpg
    Flowers at gate susan3.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 255
  • Susan's site, one year after, with Lou Oppenhiem's dogs..jpg
    Susan's site, one year after, with Lou Oppenhiem's dogs..jpg
    92 KB · Views: 259
  • Light from the north side of the forest.jpg
    Light from the north side of the forest.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 252
Thanks for the info, LJ. The woods look more sparse than I think I recall from last year, crazy that she wasn't seen from the trail.

I hope YOU are ok, you did a brave and horrible thing last year. I hope you still have travel plans and your health is better - mind those ticks! Have you had much contact with Susan's husband and kids?

Hiya Lumberjill! Just think of that poor Chief Superintendent having to read ALL of your letter. And then having to compose an answer. To ALL issues. Some bureaucratic verbiage that skips ALL the issues and deflects whatever real and imaginable blame. ALL angles. And checking with legal and regulations.

Just close your eyes and imagine what you did there. Enjoy!

Hippy, how sweet that your mother joined you today. Bless you both.

:tyou:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back