Found Deceased UK - Susan McLean, 61, U.S. tourist, Aberfeldy, Scotland, 17 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
hh is right. Local insights are very valuable. She pointed me to the right B&B to stay at for my first nights in the area. Way out of my budget, but I was able to get to know the first person who sighted Susan walking up Crieff Rd while staying in the middle of the area of interest. While he didn't see her face, the timing and clothing match to confirm Susan's southbound direction. Thanks again, hh, for guiding me to that starting point.
Then the police gave a few details of the non-sighting, but that driver called me directly after seeing my phone number on one of the 60 day-glow green signs I posted. Being a retired police chief, he was an excellent resource who re-drove the route to confirm the time he passed the Gatehouse. Many local people (hh and the Glasgow policeman included) helped with the time it takes to walk uphill from Moness to Gatehouse.
From the volunteer searchers--both Saturday groups were thoughtful, full of good ideas, and far better hill walkers than me--to the library staff who helped with printing and copying on many occasions, refusing to charge me. But hh was the absolute best! She walked countless hours with and without her dogs, and faced down the rumored Griffin Forest puma. She even shared her house with me. People don't get any better! Susan would have loved to meet you, hh. You are her kind of people: genuine and hard-working. I'm honored to have shared this experience with you.
The local Aberfeldy people have been so helpful! If you ever travel to Scotland, spend a week in Aberfeldy getting to know the nicest people in a town where you don't worry if you leave your doors unlocked, where kids play outside and walk to school without fear of abduction.
The Aberfeldy citizens kindly tolerate this outlander who asks them to repeat that phrase three times before she comprehends. I can't say enough great things about the town and its people. I'll treasure these memories and be forever grateful that Susan was in their midst when she took her last walk.

Hi Lumberjill,

This is how you introduced yourself in your first posting ever here on WS:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...2015-American-visitor&p=11920965#post11920965

I have no specific skills to make me particularly useful, but if the police have stopped all searching... I could surely do something if only make sure the posters are still visible. (...) I feel like I need to do something, but have no clue of what.

Thank you for keeping true to yourself! :shush:

:takeabow:

Hi Lumberjill,

This is how you introduced yourself in your first posting ever here on WS:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...2015-American-visitor&p=11920965#post11920965

I have no specific skills to make me particularly useful, but if the police have stopped all searching... I could surely do something if only make sure the posters are still visible. (...) I feel like I need to do something, but have no clue of what.

Thank you for keeping true to yourself! :shush:

:takeabow:

I agree if it wasn't for HH and Lorna.. I don't think Susan would have ever been found.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Not sure if you can watch this if in US, but it's an interview with Andy Weir, the searcher whose dog alerted him to something--and it was Susan. His part starts about 13 minutes into the show. http://player.stv.tv/episode/33wt/news-at-six-dundee-tayside-full/mon-17-aug-6-00-pm/

He'll be in The Courier newspaper tomorrow criticizing the police for saying that Andy had to "break thru branches" to get to Susan who was in "dense undergrowth". Both are lies. It's lots better for a Scot to be saying these things to bring about real police reform. I plan to duck and run when the media calls or emails. I hope hh speaks up regarding her experiences with inept police officers. Scotland deserves better. While I doubt they'd ever have gotten to Susan in time to save her, her case can be used to shed light on an inadequate police force. And that might save the next person's life.

I have a new sense of what happened to Susan and.. My heart breaks for her but I understand. RIP Susan. You're safe now and you can fly high with those beautiful wings. Say hi to my mama for me.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/lo...mclean-astonished-police-missed-body-1.895220

Friend who led volunteer search for US tourist Susan McLean ‘astonished’ police missed body

Search maps seen by The Courier show that officers searching the Loch Hoil trail passed within feet of the 61-year-old but crucially did not enter past the start of the tree line.

Lorna, 61, said she was astounded that it was volunteers rather than the police who had made the discovery.

She said: “I am totally astonished that I could come here and find Susan McLean in four weeks with eight volunteers on two Saturdays when Police Scotland could not find her in three months.

“I was told repeatedly that police and cadaver dogs had searched the entire area from Moness to Gatehouse Nursery to Loch Hoil trail to the Birks of Aberfeldy.

“We found her a couple hundred yards north of Loch Hoil trail, 25ft from the edge of a section of forest, half a mile west of Crieff Road.

“How could police and cadaver dogs miss her when she was so close to the secondary trail just north of Loch Hoil trail?”

BBM

Look at the picture, the furies unbound.....

Reading the article, I wonder how the Police could have as "our priority .... to search the open areas – the areas assessed by the search advisers – whereby someone who was walking or may have met with an accident was most likely to be" when Susan disappeared IN THE RAIN??? what kind of search advisers are those?

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/lo...mclean-astonished-police-missed-body-1.895220

Friend who led volunteer search for US tourist Susan McLean ‘astonished’ police missed body

Search maps seen by The Courier show that officers searching the Loch Hoil trail passed within feet of the 61-year-old but crucially did not enter past the start of the tree line.

Lorna, 61, said she was astounded that it was volunteers rather than the police who had made the discovery.

She said: “I am totally astonished that I could come here and find Susan McLean in four weeks with eight volunteers on two Saturdays when Police Scotland could not find her in three months.

“I was told repeatedly that police and cadaver dogs had searched the entire area from Moness to Gatehouse Nursery to Loch Hoil trail to the Birks of Aberfeldy.

“We found her a couple hundred yards north of Loch Hoil trail, 25ft from the edge of a section of forest, half a mile west of Crieff Road.

“How could police and cadaver dogs miss her when she was so close to the secondary trail just north of Loch Hoil trail?”

BBM

Look at the picture, the furies unbound.....

Reading the article, I wonder how the Police could have as "our priority .... to search the open areas – the areas assessed by the search advisers – whereby someone who was walking or may have met with an accident was most likely to be" when Susan disappeared IN THE RAIN??? what kind of search advisers are those?

Well first they call him Adam.. And I think his name is Andy. Second.. Based on what I've read here, he didn't have to break branches.

My heart is broken by the recent news. But I am also so thankful that she was found. I am so grateful to those who searched for her, and those who aided the search from afar. Thank you all.

Though the police let Susan down terribly, and it is painful to consider that she may have been able to be saved, I am amazed by the wonderful people who did keep fighting for her. We are community of people, regardless of our location, regardless of our relationships with each other, and regardless of our titles. If we all looked for for one another, instead of passively waiting for others to take the reigns and succumbing to the "diffusion of responsibility," the world would be a better place. It makes me smile to think that Susan's light could bring out such selfless dedication in people.

I am so thankful for this forum. Here you can really see how little of the true story gets told in the media. So many people are proclaimed as heroes, and yet HH hasn't even been acknowledged once. HH, know that you are an inspirational person.

I hope that the autopsy offers some explanation of what happened to Susan, although I do not have high hopes. Not only because it has been so long, but also because I have pretty much zero faith in the competency of the investigators at this point. I just hope the lies stop. The Scotland PD should be ashamed of themselves.

Katerz, I think he is actually called Adam. I think LJ will always see him as Andy ;) nowt wrong with that :)

My heart is broken by the recent news. But I am also so thankful that she was found. I am so grateful to those who searched for her, and those who aided the search from afar. Thank you all.

Though the police let Susan down terribly, and it is painful to consider that she may have been able to be saved, I am amazed by the wonderful people who did keep fighting for her. We are community of people, regardless of our location, regardless of our relationships with each other, and regardless of our titles. If we all looked for for one another, instead of passively waiting for others to take the reigns and succumbing to the "diffusion of responsibility," the world would be a better place. It makes me smile to think that Susan's light could bring out such selfless dedication in people.

I am so thankful for this forum. Here you can really see how little of the true story gets told in the media. So many people are proclaimed as heroes, and yet HH hasn't even been acknowledged once. HH, know that you are an inspirational person.

I hope that the autopsy offers some explanation of what happened to Susan, although I do not have high hopes. Not only because it has been so long, but also because I have pretty much zero faith in the competency of the investigators at this point. I just hope the lies stop. The Scotland PD should be ashamed of themselves.

I'm disgusted that Scotland Police intimated that Susan would have to break through branches and rough foliage to reach her final resting place. Therefore placing the blame on her, and not their lousy searching skills. (btw, I'm not referring to the front line police who were on their hands and knees, searching, but their supervisors who directed them on where to search, and then lied about certain facts after the "real" searchers found her)

The reason she was off trail, was probably that she had to pee or needed to shelter from the rain under trees. Who knows what befell her after that - tripping and injuring her foot, falling and hitting her head on a tree? Or possibly a medical incident such as a stroke or heart attack. I hope an autopsy will shed some light on this.

I'm so impressed by HH, Lorna and all the community volunteers. You all cared enough to make sure that Susan will return to her family and they will not be wondering forever what happened to her. It's heartwarming to know there are people like you out there.

I am just waiting for the news headline "Two hippies search for Susan"

And I'm waiting for hh to break her news silence. She hadn't wanted press coverage during her early searching because this was Susan's story, not hh's story. What remarkable modesty, when it was her work posted here that inspired me to come. And what a generous person hh is! Walking with me, teaching the lay of the land, taking my to the lip balm location...hh made this all come together. Please, hh, tell your story to the press, ok?

And speaking of lip balm, now I can tell you what I know and saw. The Neutrogena lip balm was UK made, and twirled up like lipstick. When it was twirled up, there was a 3/8 inch moldy patch on the side of the lip balm. No way would Susan have had moldy lip balm. Perhaps mold grew while it was in the police property room for 2+ months. Not likely because the ingredients don't support mold growth. I think it was likely a dirty finger that touched

I would like to send MASSIVE PRAISES to all of those involved.

First to HH (and her dogs and her son) whose tenacity and persistence to continue searching high and low, tirelessly I might add, goes way above and beyond the norm of what most people would do, especially with no connections to Susan or her family, and is what led to LJ coming out to do her part as well. Enough good things can’t be said for her selflessness in this search! A true gem of a person.

Second to LJ, who left her life in Virginia to live in Aberfeldy doing everything she could until Susan was found, however long it would take. Her analytical and critical thinking of what she knew Susan may have done and thought, having known her for 30+ years, was invaluable to finding her. Speaking with the locals, the police, coordinating also with HH, distributing flyers and organizing volunteer searchers, and more. And then planning a systematic and thorough type of search, broken down in sections from east to west in the area just north along the Loch Hoil trail (which is what the police and their SAR should have done out the gate!), had ultimately paid off in the second search section planned. The love and devotion she has for her friend…anyone would be proud to have such a person in their lives!

Third to the volunteer searchers and their dogs, whose bravery and selflessness in stepping up to help in the searching was also invaluable to Susan having been found.

And lastly to Susan’s husband, who was gracious enough to participate on the board, answering questions and providing information…doing what he could to help the sleuthers on the board to provide their own insights and thoughts as to where to search and what may have happened.

Praises to all. And may Susan’s family and friends be comforted in knowing the kindness of strangers and how much they all truly cared.

hh is right. Local insights are very valuable. She pointed me to the right B&B to stay at for my first nights in the area. Way out of my budget, but I was able to get to know the first person who sighted Susan walking up Crieff Rd while staying in the middle of the area of interest. While he didn't see her face, the timing and clothing match to confirm Susan's southbound direction. Thanks again, hh, for guiding me to that starting point.
Then the police gave a few details of the non-sighting, but that driver called me directly after seeing my phone number on one of the 60 day-glow green signs I posted. Being a retired police chief, he was an excellent resource who re-drove the route to confirm the time he passed the Gatehouse. Many local people (hh and the Glasgow policeman included) helped with the time it takes to walk uphill from Moness to Gatehouse.
From the volunteer searchers--both Saturday groups were thoughtful, full of good ideas, and far better hill walkers than me--to the library staff who helped with printing and copying on many occasions, refusing to charge me. But hh was the absolute best! She walked countless hours with and without her dogs, and faced down the rumored Griffin Forest puma. She even shared her house with me. People don't get any better! Susan would have loved to meet you, hh. You are her kind of people: genuine and hard-working. I'm honored to have shared this experience with you.
The local Aberfeldy people have been so helpful! If you ever travel to Scotland, spend a week in Aberfeldy getting to know the nicest people in a town where you don't worry if you leave your doors unlocked, where kids play outside and walk to school without fear of abduction.
The Aberfeldy citizens kindly tolerate this outlander who asks them to repeat that phrase three times before she comprehends. I can't say enough great things about the town and its people. I'll treasure these memories and be forever grateful that Susan was in their midst when she took her last walk.

Lovely post Lumberjill I knew when you going to come over here that people would rally around you. The Scottish people are generally a friendly bunch who would do anything to help. I'm very sorry you had to visit under these terrible circumstances perhaps you will be able to come back to Scotland for a break one day. Susan and Susan's family and friends continue to be in my prayers.

I so appreciate hh, lumberjill, the search volunteers, K-9 Search & Rescue, and all the others who assisted in finding Susan. I met Ann Riley who printed & posted Susan's missing person flyers at her own expense while I was still in Scotland. Thanks too to Web Sleuths which I only discovered by accident months after Susan went missing, you all helped me follow what was occurring daily in Scotland.

The Daily Record can sure put their own spin on somebody else's words. It makes me happy for kindly refusing the Sun and the Mirror--who knows what headlines they'd have dreamt up!
I'd think the Scots should be steaming that Police Scotland put a quarter million GB pounds into their failed search.

The Daily Record can sure put their own spin on somebody else's words. It makes me happy for kindly refusing the Sun and the Mirror--who knows what headlines they'd have dreamt up!
I'd think the Scots should be steaming that Police Scotland put a quarter million GB pounds into their failed search.

They will likely quote you anyway and make it appear all fresh from the horse's mouth.

I hope journalist and fellow WS-member AuntieBarbie spins a yarn that does justice to all involved. She'll probably end up with a book. Which I will read.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back