Found Deceased UK - Susan McLean, 61, U.S. tourist, Aberfeldy, Scotland, 17 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A tiny bird told me that a background report about HH's work and searches would be in the making...?
Birds will say anything, I know that, but a Sunday would be a very good day for the paper to publish this.

Jolly good idea anyway, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed ..... !

:findinglink:

Just to let you know there is nothing in the Sunday Mail newspaper today I don't know about others.

I'm just catching up on the thread and saw that Susan had been found. What a tremendously sad and heartbreaking time; but still a time of closure, yet that sounds so lame. There's never enough comfort, as there are just not enough words, I wish I had them.

Hippy hippy, I am completely beyond in awe of you. And lumberjill, you too are awesome, a real trouper. You guys are absolutely, and simply amazing. And thank you so much Eqs for joining the thread in the search for your beloved wife. My most sincere and heart felt condolences to you and your dear sons and the rest of your family and friends. :rose: :rose: :rose:

To everyone on this thread, on behalf of Websleuths, thank you for your wonderful work and dedication to this case.

You proved how people from all over the world can come together and do a great deal of good for people in pain.

Equivet, I am so very sorry for your loss. Susan was a wonderful woman and the world is a sadder place without her.

Lumberjill, if only we could all have a friend as loving as you. I'm deeply sorry for the loss of our incredible friend.

Hippy hippy you have renewed hope that genuine kindness is alive and well in the world.

Please forgive me if I have left anyone out. That is not my intention of course.

Thank you all for caring.
Sincerely,
Tricia Griffith
Owner/Websleuths.com

Don't we all wish we could have known this lovely lady Susan McLean? Special thanks to hippy hippy and Susan's wonderful friend Lumberjill for their love and dedication in helping to bring Susan home.

To equivet and your boys, my absolute deepest condolences on the loss of your beautiful wife and mother.

To Susan, rest in peace dear lady. This one's for you.

Attachments

• white winged horse.jpg
    white winged horse.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 413
Tricia, I'm glad you picked this thread up, never before have I been involved in a thread with so much personal involvement. HH and LJ need some sort of websleuths medal!!

BBM

That is a word with versatile meaning for non-native speakers. I take it that it means they were not able to check ('ascertain') or reach a conclusion according to the rules of science.

Given the legal system in Scotland, an I right in assuming that there will be no further inquest into Susan's death?

:rose:

I was wondering that as well, that and how / why they came to the conclusion that they believe she took her own life. Was it only due to where she was located, yet the searchers had to break branches to get to her ? So it's impossible that she was taken there by someone else? And was there anything found on or in proximity to her body, i.e., in her pockets, that she could have harmed herself with? I guess we'll never know here, will probably have to take their word without proof. :sigh:

Does anyone have more information about this?

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/lo...ist-susan-mclean-proves-inconclusive-1.896872

Were the pills and vodka found by the searchers or the police? What kind of pills were they?

I'm just a bit confused, seeing as Susan would have had to tote these both out of her room, and she didn't have anything else on her person (phone, passport, etc.). I mean, if she was planning on doing this before she left, I can understand that, but she must have been very discreet about it then. I'm also wondering if this was a prescription with Susan's name on it or not? I guess I'm looking for answers as to how preemptive this was. The one searcher found a piece of paper - was there any sign of a note that may have been swept away or muddled in the rain?

I still find it so incredibly strange that no one, not even the dogs smelled her when she was only 25' from the trail for 3 months. Perhaps I am just emotional and having difficulty accepting the truth, but things still don't completely make sense to me here. Could she not have been found earlier because her body wasn't there earlier? Could she have and the bottles been planted at that location? I suppose if there was a major accident or struggle, it would have most likely been relieved in the postmortem. Am I turning into a lunatic over this?

I felt the sense of closure slip away a bit after reading the cause of death was inconclusive, but knowing Susan took her own life feels worse than not knowing at all.

Eqs - I really hope that someone close to the search can give you information. I would think that the police would tell the family everything they know seeing as they have ruled out the possibility for foul play. I wonder how the news article got their information and my heart just aches for you that you have unanswered questions that are causing you such pain.

Does anyone have more information about this?

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/lo...ist-susan-mclean-proves-inconclusive-1.896872

Were the pills and vodka found by the searchers or the police? What kind of pills were they?

I'm just a bit confused, seeing as Susan would have had to tote these both out of her room, and she didn't have anything else on her person (phone, passport, etc.). I mean, if she was planning on doing this before she left, I can understand that, but she must have been very discreet about it then. I'm also wondering if this was a prescription with Susan's name on it or not? I guess I'm looking for answers as to how preemptive this was. The one searcher found a piece of paper - was there any sign of a note that may have been swept away or muddled in the rain?

I still find it so incredibly strange that no one, not even the dogs smelled her when she was only 25' from the trail for 3 months. Perhaps I am just emotional and having difficulty accepting the truth, but things still don't completely make sense to me here. Could she not have been found earlier because her body wasn't there earlier? Could she have and the bottles been planted at that location? I suppose if there was a major accident or struggle, it would have most likely been relieved in the postmortem. Am I turning into a lunatic over this?

I felt the sense of closure slip away a bit after reading the cause of death was inconclusive, but knowing Susan took her own life feels worse than not knowing at all.

Well thank you , the article I read didn't have the statement about the vodka and pills. There should have been fingerprints on those items, right? Does anyone know if she had a history of clinical depression?
No you're not a lunatic, these are some of the same questions I've had as well. And a couple more, would someone take a trip to a foreign country with her family including her two sons, to commit suicide? Or would a mature person such as Susan do something so drastic on impulse? It's all so terribly sad, and with so many questions unanswered also very troubling . :( I can just imagine how her family feels. :(

ETA: I wonder if there was a note but it wasn't mentioned in the news articles, or it was left out for privacy reasons concerning the family.

:( I can just imagine how her family feels. :(

The media can't simply report the news; they have to sensationalize it to grab the readers attention. Susan did not "storm out of the house"; she left quietly. I am told NO "branches had to be broken" when she was found; she was visible when the searcher looked under the tree branches.

The police reported Susan's death was inconclusive---why can't that stand without causing my family further sadness & distress? The US news media has also picked up this report it was on TV & in the news papers yesterday so further damage has been done and for what purpose?

Susan was a wonderful person, instructor, loving wife and mother and we were married 42 years. That's what the papers should report & what people should remember.

The media can't simply report the news; they have to sensationalize it to grab the readers attention. Susan did not "storm out of the house"; she left quietly. I am told NO "branches had to be broken" when she was found; she was visible when the searcher looked under the tree branches.

The police reported Susan's death was inconclusive---why can't that stand without causing my family further sadness & distress? The US news media has also picked up this report it was on TV & in the news papers yesterday so further damage has been done and for what purpose?

Susan was a wonderful person, instructor, loving wife and mother and we were married 42 years. That's what the papers should report & what people should remember.

You and your family have my deepest sympathy, equivet.

Take comfort from one another and from friends who knew & loved Susan. Try to ignore the rest. Your grief is a private affair, IMO, not a spectator sport. I hope you find your way to peace with all that has happened, and cherish the memories.

My heart is broken by the recent news. But I am also so thankful that she was found. I am so grateful to those who searched for her, and those who aided the search from afar. Thank you all.

Though the police let Susan down terribly, and it is painful to consider that she may have been able to be saved, I am amazed by the wonderful people who did keep fighting for her. We are community of people, regardless of our location, regardless of our relationships with each other, and regardless of our titles. If we all looked for for one another, instead of passively waiting for others to take the reigns and succumbing to the "diffusion of responsibility," the world would be a better place. It makes me smile to think that Susan's light could bring out such selfless dedication in people.

I am so thankful for this forum. Here you can really see how little of the true story gets told in the media. So many people are proclaimed as heroes, and yet HH hasn't even been acknowledged once. HH, know that you are an inspirational person.

I hope that the autopsy offers some explanation of what happened to Susan, although I do not have high hopes. Not only because it has been so long, but also because I have pretty much zero faith in the competency of the investigators at this point. I just hope the lies stop. The Scotland PD should be ashamed of themselves.

I tell my Huz, IF I ever go missing - come to Websleuths - they'll find me!! :D Yes, a very GREAT Forum!

Fly with the angels, Susan! :rose:

Dear equivet,

I am so sorry for your loss. You deserve privacy, respect and time to grieve for your wife, you don't deserve to be exploited in any way.

My family understands your family's distress more than you know. Please, if possible, take a tiny bit of comfort in that.

I'd hug you if I could. I'm so sorry.

Equivet, I can only echo the beautiful sentiments already expressed here for you, your family and friends and of course, your beautiful wife, Susan. :rose:

Websleuths is a victim friendly site, so if you feel the need to talk, please feel free to do so. I would only suggest you put a note in your signature file stating your posts must remain on this site and cannot be copied elsewhere, without your expressed approval. If you need help with this, please feel free to send me a pm and I can guide you.

Cyber hugs to you from all of us.

Jody

Open letter to all my WS friends:
Thanks so much for your help and encouragement in the search for Susan. We all pretty much assumed she was not abducted and hadn't walked away from her family, though I secretly had a bit of hope for either of those.
We're now at a difficult point. I'm so sorry that Susan's means of death was outed in The Courier. The word had flown around the village of Aberfeldy, so I can't say I'm surprised that the press picked up on it.
Personally, I'd hoped that her family might release the information proactively in effort to help prevent this outing and to prevent similar suicides. Depression, like heart disease, is nothing to hide or be ashamed of. I don't know if I agree that it's exploiting anyone to acknowledge the facts of the case. We all have horribly broken hearts over this. But if we can use Susan's foreshortened life to save others, I think Susan would have appreciated it.
Many, many of us wish we'd done something differently. I wish I'd talked to her before she left for Scotland to remind her that I'm only an email/call away instead of just dropping her an email. Several people have PM'd me with similar wishes: "If only" or "had I just" or "I should have", etc. But in the end, Susan could not cope any more. No need for embarrassment, anger, rage. It is what it is. The press reports news, and sadly they deemed it "newsworthy" to report to the anonymous masses. But Susan's life will be so well remembered by those who loved her. I've heard from several young adults who talk of how much Susan meant to them as an instructor. And I can attest to having been rescued by Susan during some crises of my own. She would go so far out of her way to help whenever she could, be it offering horse B&B to a traveller, taking care of a sick/recovering friend, fixing a hot dish, anything.
We can learn from losing Susan. We must hold our loved ones close, build solid friendships, be available. But we can learn more from her life by being and doing all that we can, just like Susan did.

Great post Lumberjill! You nailed it once again! Thank you for all you have said and done here. You have set the bar very high for friendship and I can only hope to have friends as good as you!

Wonderful words Lumberjill.

Depression is a terrible illness and can end our life as many many illnesses do, there is no shame to it. Unlike other illnesses that present recognisable symptoms, it is often hard even to ourselves to realise, and even if we do the very nature of it sometimes will prevent us seeking help, the feelings of despair will override our rational thoughts. Hopefully the more we talk about it we may learn to recognise it in ourselves and others. As you say, Susan would appreciate this.

The "what ifs" these are natural feelings when we lose a loved one, if we care we always think we could have done more, do not reproach yourself.

Susan has touched us all here, that in itself is a great legacy.

As many others have said, Lumberjill you are an inspiration a truly wonderful friend, and hippy hippy has shown how much we can care even about strangers.

Rather than increase the talk I believe that releasing the fact that Susan took her own life will stop the speculation and allow the family to finally grieve and also give closure to others. Like breast cancer, every one has someone they know impacted by mental illness. This will resonate with all and put an end to the curiosity about what happened that everyone naturally feels when faced with an "inconclusive" cause of death. In these days of televised crime drama an "inconclusive" cause of death just does not make sense and people recognize that. It also may not be complete surprise to the people who knew Susan that she suffered from this disease. And disease it is- like diabetes and high cholesterol-it can be inherited, sometimes controlled with medication but sometimes is fatal. There is no shame in that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back