UK UK - Suzy Lamplugh, 25, Fulham, 28 Jul 1986 #6

What's frustrating about DV's book is that there's nothing in it that explains why SJL would have died at the pub, or why CV isn't just an inarticulate deaf bloke. I actually signed up here to get other people's take on WTF his book was getting at.

I buy that she needed the diary back. But DV infers that as that was the errand she had to run, it must have been a fake appointment. Whoah. Not so fast Mr. Bond. She could have had a genuine appointment at 1.15 and simply sloped off early, to get to the PoW first, then do the appointment. If she comes back at 2pm and MG says "You were a long time" she just says "Yes, he was late / took ages / etc." So why does 37SR have to have been a red herring?

We know DV was expecting arrests. This can only be because 1/ he's a twit, or 2/ he knows something about CV that he can't disclose.

The second seems likelier. Imagine for example that you're digging into an unsolved disappearance - Martin Allen, say, the 15-year-old who disappeared in 1979. Suppose you find out, total bombshell, that he had been on his way to meet Dennis Nilssen. You further find out that Dennis Nilssen had been interviewed about this in 1979, but said the kid never turned up, and the police bought it. At no point in the following decades did anyone remember this or connect it to what Nilssen was up to. Until you turned up, found out who the last person Martin Allen was going to meet was, oh and the place had a basement.

That did not happen of course. Nilssen's now dead. But if you found something like that out about someone at the PoW, and you found out that there was a place to stash a body, you might well expect instant arrests - as DV seems to have done.
according to AS book on the case. SL arranged to pick up her missing belongings at 6pm after she finished work. she talked on the phone to the landlords wife, but CV makes out he was the one who talked to suzy on the phone. i suspect he is telling lies, and it was his wife who talked to suzy, but DV believes him and his BS story about suzy being concerned about her diary.

according to AS book on the case. SL arranged to pick up her missing belongings at 6pm after she finished work. she talked on the phone to the landlords wife, but CV makes out he was the one who talked to suzy on the phone. i suspect he is telling lies, and it was his wife who talked to suzy, but DV believes him and his BS story about suzy being concerned about her diary.
After over 30 years CV could just have forgotten who actually talked to Suzy that day.
Keep in mind that unless DV is right, that Monday to CV was just an ordinary day (okay his first in charge of the PoW).
Unless it was an outstanding incident (which to CV Suzy’s disappearance may not have been) he may not recall who spoke to Suzy.
As far as DV is concerned this discrepancy fits neatly with his narrative.

I read his book quite a while ago and made some comments in an old thread about it. I might be misremembering parts of it. Others have also written their view of it, which are of course just as valid as my own ramblings. My impression was that he had structured the book in such a way to lead the reader into making "discoveries" that pointed to a particular direction. He presents information to be read in a certain way. He describes his encounter with SL's ex boyfriend in a way that makes him look like he is hiding something perhaps, when the reality is that we only have DV's account of what happened, it reads like it is dramatized a bit, it's decades after the events, it is not a formal interview, the ex boyfriend might have had all sorts of other things on his mind, the list goes on and on. The ex boyfriend, like the pub temporary landlord, are real people with real emotions, not characters in a crime novel.

I didn't like his descriptions of a man that he all but named as a murderer and sex attacker who is still alive, easily findable, and who is under zero suspicion by the police. For publication in a book that will raise his profile, even if he doesnt make much from sales. I find that...disturbing? I don't know.

So yes, that irritated me although I appreciated his efforts to try to worm out more information.
i think DV does write fiction as well.

I suspect that if you approached the police saying you were making a TV documentary that was going to challenge the Cannan theory, and could you do some talking head interviews, two things would happen. One, all co-operation would be denied, and two, they'd start digging up a Cannan-related field somewhere and get that into the press.

As far as I know there has never been a TV programme on this that did not focus on Cannan, ever.
setting up a podcast that would challenge the JC did it narrative would be very interesting. i wonder has this already been done, if not, this gives me something to think about. it would be a very interesting project to work on. i might set something up.

The PoW theory stands or falls on whether there was anyone at the pub with both the inclination and the opportunity to attack women. We don't know what background DV might have unearthed on CV that speaks to his inclination. If it's nothing, it was irresponsible to allow him to be identified. From the point of view of opportunity, DV can't plausibly be trying to implicate anyone else (such as the occasionally-mentioned "Brendon the cellarman") because it's hard to see who other than the manager would be answering the phone if the pub was in fact closed. And that's quite a big if, because if the pub was closed, what was the hurry to get the stocktake done by noon? And if it was done by noon why was the pub still closed at 1pm?

AL was quite likely hard to eliminate simply because he hadn't done anything much that day at work. If he'd been in arranged meetings or lunches with colleagues or clients, they would have been able to say where he was at most times. But if not, and he simply spent his day at his desk, then they'd have had to reconstruct his whereabouts by interviewing a lot of people.

setting up a podcast that would challenge the JC did it narrative would be very interesting. i wonder has this already been done, if not, this gives me something to think about. it would be a very interesting project to work on. i might set something up.
It’s a good idea, there’s no shortage of possibilities, but, the biggest obstacle is libel.
If you were to do this you’d need to have a good case to put forward.
DV covered himself by changing the PoW temp landlords name. However, I’d like to think he has more to cover himself if challenged.

The PoW theory stands or falls on whether there was anyone at the pub with both the inclination and the opportunity to attack women. We don't know what background DV might have unearthed on CV that speaks to his inclination. If it's nothing, it was irresponsible to allow him to be identified. From the point of view of opportunity, DV can't plausibly be trying to implicate anyone else (such as the occasionally-mentioned "Brendon the cellarman") because it's hard to see who other than the manager would be answering the phone if the pub was in fact closed. And that's quite a big if, because if the pub was closed, what was the hurry to get the stocktake done by noon? And if it was done by noon why was the pub still closed at 1pm?

AL was quite likely hard to eliminate simply because he hadn't done anything much that day at work. If he'd been in arranged meetings or lunches with colleagues or clients, they would have been able to say where he was at most times. But if not, and he simply spent his day at his desk, then they'd have had to reconstruct his whereabouts by interviewing a lot of people.
i dont believe DV has found out anything about CV. I think he is suspicious of everyone. hard to believe he was a detective.

i dont believe DV has found out anything about CV. I think he is suspicious of everyone. hard to believe he was a detective.
I took a brief look at CV after reading DV’s book. There have been disappearances in the area, some remain unsolved, however, unless he’s got more, there’s nothing in the public domain on CV.
DV either had a lot more and his police file contained it, the Met didn’t see it as DV did
and dismissed CV.
Or DV made his mind up where SJL went and tried to make everything fit.
You have to make your own mind up on that.

I took a brief look at CV after reading DV’s book. There have been disappearances in the area, some remain unsolved, however, unless he’s got more, there’s nothing in the public domain on CV.
DV either had a lot more and his police file contained it, the Met didn’t see it as DV did
and dismissed CV.
Or DV made his mind up where SJL went and tried to make everything fit.
You have to make your own mind up on that.
Just to clarify, the disappearances were in the north east, which according to the media in general isn’t (sadly) an uncommon occurrence.

The frustrating thing about DV’s book and this is Not a knock at him as he tried but this book is 25 years too late. Memories have long faded and unfortunately it’s hard to take some of his book seriously when it contradicts the story from 30 years ago where memories were fresh.

DL voiced several barmy theories including that SJL had been eliminated by Mossad, IIRC, so if she's the only source it's possible it's fantasy. It is odd though that the plod have so little to say about what was in the diary. It can't have contained Mr Kipper's phone number because by their reckoning Mr Kipper didn't have one, being a lag. It would be interesting if it did contain SW's number while not containing any reference to any number JC might have used. If that were so it'll never see the light of day.

Why did DL suggest Mossad involvement? Was SL known to be antisemitic or was DL just mad?

IMO Suzy's disappearance was sexually motivated. Either abducted by a Cannan type stranger, or by someone in her social circle.

It could have been something business related, but I doubt it. Suzy was ambitious but not a major player in anything AFAIK.

I don't buy the PoW stuff. If she was abducted there, or whilst heading there, then it wasn't anything to do with the landlord.

The Mossad stuff sounds ridiculous. Suzy wouldn't have been a target for anything political or religious. Her family weren't well known or controversial.

IMO Suzy's disappearance was sexually motivated. Either abducted by a Cannan type stranger, or by someone in her social circle.

It could have been something business related, but I doubt it. Suzy was ambitious but not a major player in anything AFAIK.

I don't buy the PoW stuff. If she was abducted there, or whilst heading there, then it wasn't anything to do with the landlord.

The Mossad stuff sounds ridiculous. Suzy wouldn't have been a target for anything political or religious. Her family weren't well known or controversial.
There’s always the possibility that DV was half right with his PoW theory. Isn’t it possible that the paperwork she picked up was the Wado contract?
She planned to drop this off and then collect her things from the PoW while out.
I doubt she could have justified going out to drop off a contract, so invented the Mr Kipper appointment to cover this and collect her things.
I don’t think she ever made it to the PoW pub, it’s possible she was taken soon after she got to her car.

If DV is correct then we are forcing a lot of squares into a lot of circles, and I'd like to see anyone explain otherwise.

I don't doubt that Mossad weren't involved.
I was just wondering where the kernel for DL's idea came from and if she was so obviously mad then why did the Police let her have so much influence in their investigation.

She was 50 in 1986 and diagnosed with dementia in 2003.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back