Votes: 392 77.2%
  • I think they are Authoritarian

Votes: 42 8.3%
  • I think they are Authoritative

Votes: 7 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are not parents to Casey, they are her hostages.

Great point!

It is truly reprehensible that the A's are willing to sacrifice the life of their grandchild in order to prevent themselves from having to admit that they screwed up as parents.

It seems that they are the absolute authority when it comes to enabling. I have never seen anything quite like it in my life.

I'll tell you this, if I had ever done anything so horrible or enabled something so wretched and I came home to sit across from my parents at a meal without making any attempt to help, my father would have choked me from his seat, without missing a bite of food.

I don't think Cindy and George are parents. I think Casey raised herself and never finished growing up while they just stood by and watched.

I don't think anyone falls into any of those categories exclusively. i also don't think that I would be able to guess based on the limited knowledge I have of them (and my negative opinion of the whole family).

Permissive Indulgent with a heaping dose of enmeshment.
I'm so blown away by the lengths this family has taken to cover their daughters criminal behavior. The parents seem to be completely unwilling to accept any negativity that comes from outside of their immediate family unit. I want to say it's like CA is the only one allowed to determine what is or isn't acceptable behavior by her daughter.
What motivates this family to continually ignore Casey's recklessness? What is their reward or pay-off? What in the heck are they hiding?
what are they hiding?.. i just recently read the book...PEOPLE OF THE LIE by DR SCOTT PECK great read and full of information about people who lie A MUST READ.

Yes -- enmeshment! Hard to know where CA leaves off and KC begins. No clear boundaries to differentiate between parent and child. And they are a very "closed" family system -- suggestive of lots of secrets.

Eg-zzzzactly!!

I honestly can't vote, because I think the parenting style varies with the child.

Look at Lee. If the Anthony's were permissive indulgent or permissive indifferent, then Lee would have turned out differently. He honestly seems like he turned out pretty well, all things considering.

I think this is 50/50. People would tend to blame Cindy, but I think, from all appearances, she's Ms. Rules and Regulations. Girls, growing up, tend to be "daddy's girls". What are the odds that Casey preyed on that "Daddy's little girl" mentality and got HIM to overrule Cindy's attempts at laying down the law? That's how I saw it. Cindy played Authoritarian with Lee and it worked, because he was brought up to be "a man". Cindy tried the same carp with Casey, but maybe Casey would then go to Dad and he'd give in? And Cindy then just got tired of the game and figured, "Whatever" but was always left cleaning up the mess. She just defends Casey's actions to preserve the image she likes to project.

In my opinion, anyhoo.

what are they hiding?.. i just recently read the book...PEOPLE OF THE LIE by DR SCOTT PECK great read and full of information about people who lie A MUST READ.

Marly are you the one who recommended that book to me? I ordered it from Amazon, used, for 3.50. I am still waiting for it and I am so eager to read it.
It sounds great. I like Dr. Scott Peck's books so much!

What parenting style teaches you to do physical harm to someone that's weaker/smaller than you?

I would like to know what grandparenting style that they fall into??????

I don't know what type parents or grandparents they are, but the whole lot of them seem to have a big sense of entitlement and doing as they please using mind games, threats, intimidation, manipulating the truth within lies, pushing old ladies, hollering, cussing, screaming matches, beer guzzling, and even refusing to allow a little toddler to be better searched for by providing something for dogs to smell. There's no description for that type of person claiming to be a parent or grandparent.

You might be right. Maybe the family was just surviving Casey and her ever changing moods. Is there any evidence that Casey might be bipolar?

No. She's too controlled when she wants tp be. KCs got an Axis II Disorder-- Sociopath is the most likely.

In laymans terms, they think they are good parents but they are not. A good parent punishes their kids for bad behavior and rewards for good. They do the opposite!

I voted Permissive Indulgent.

I have yet to see any hint of "authoritarian" in the actions of the parents. Do people think that just because Casey walked out after an argument?

Narcissistic people like to get the last word because that reinforces their sense of self-worth and overimportance. They call the shots and make the decisions.

To me, arguing as an adult is not a sign that the parents are too authoritarian, but that they've always let Caylee have the last word - therefore, indulgent. She doesn't respect her family at all, even though they are putting their house up to save her (another indulgent act to enable their daughter to get away with something).

I voted for permissive indulgent but imo nothing is black and white. I seem to recall early on a statement Cindy made about Casey and her lies, that they knew eventually she would tell them the truth. Then also talked about how frustrating it could be and eventually you'd just drop it rather than deal with her! There are many levels to their relationship and one thing I've wondered about is if the parents let many things slide, never expecting much from her other than to be physically attractive. It seems as tho that was the main focus for Casey. Kind of like a pampered pet who's not needed for anything other than to look good. Casey was not capable it seems to hold down a job, I think she found out quick that the big bad world would not coddle and overlook her shortcomings like mom and dad would.
I don't know why Casey is like she is, is it because she was not taught things like impulse control or is it because she is wired differently and it didn't matter who her parents are? Maybe she would still have been the same girl, but with other parents she might have been taken for some type of councelling etc. Casey got away with alot!! Now did her parents just turn a blind eye to it all or what? The fact she did not graduate highschool is huge to me, there is absolutly no way in hell my mother ever would have allowed that! My one sister who got pregnant in highschool had to still keep up with her classes and graduated with her class, my brother who thought he could become a dropout was sent away to a reform school until he got a change of heart. We really know very little about their family life, why did Casey think she would get away with all that she did, and how is it that she did get away with it for so long?

VB

I think permissive indulgent.

I believe that they have endured her life time of whining, begging, pleading , insisiting, door slamming, and even verbal and emotion abuse by their daughter. Reading the words that I have written usually a normal child will TRY please note I said TRY this. It is the job of a parent to see that none of these tactics work.

KC was probably one of those children who would come home and complain of the teacher and the children at school picking on her for NO REASON. I am sure that it was taken care of immediatly with a phone call, note or who else know what. The parent then probably would discuss, "what could we be doing wrong?" why can we not get her to be responsible? I'm saying there is something to be said for allowing a child to feel as if he/she is always the victim in everyday circumstances.

MOO

I think that Casey does whatever she wants to do, regardless of how George and Cindy try to parent. She is uncontrollable. I think Cindy is at times authoritative and at times indulgent. My guess is that George has given up and just gives Casey a wide berth. It ultimately doesn't matter to Casey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shortie05986