Mexico Unidentified US-Mexico Border Project

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Going through NamUs and came across this one with a possible name although his fingerprint didn't match the ID don't know what to make of that except it could be a fake ID. However that's not what has my attention there was a note found in his wallet that I am trying to translate and even with google its not making any sense. Maybe I am not reading the handwriting correctly if someone else could take a look and see what you make of it that would be great. I will make a thumbnail of that note below with the link to NamUs file.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
lex4b-ruuku.jpg
The first one says “What is a mulcajeta” it is a salsa dish.” The second one says “What is a matate, it is a rock to grind corn.” I’ve never heard of a mulcajeta or a matate but they could be Aztec or Inca words. They also could be a play on words?

It's a molcajete (stone mortar and pestle) and the metate is kind of a rolling pin shaped object used to flatten/grind the corn.

That's a strange note. Like someone learning about kitchen tools. Molcajete is a pretty common thing.

I think you are right, they both are used for making tortilla's for example. Maybe the person wanted to get a job or worked in a kitchen/tortilla shop and came from another Spanish speaking country but was not familiar with this particular tools? Or was trying to learn Mexican Spanish for daily use?

Sorry Giuc0, I don't have the answer for how you folks will work out the changes, but I'm sure you can all find a way to make it happen.
My idea is downloading the Excel spreadsheets as they are updated on my Google drive and add the OHCHR homepage link to the message.
This way, we can get old spreadsheets for future references here and it complies with TOS.
Is it good for you?

@Dylansmom08 The post-sessional reports are not such an issue because they are kept available even when there are updates.
Be very careful with your list because if you use only one first name and one family name without the two names and the two family names, you have so many homonyms it gets nowhere.
I tell you so by experience with cross-referencing data about disappeared in Argentina for the Sumter Does and the homonymy was a recurring problem. Add it to the spelling mistakes and you have a perfect combo for difficult a research!

Last edited:
A question; how likely is it that somebody who is enforced or involuntary missing in Mexico is found as an unidentified person in America and is entered in Namus? I always thought this particular missing group of people came to hurt and are still in Mexico, buried. Not to downplay the huge problem the Mexican people have with violation of human rights (and how very sad I feel about that) but I thought the thread was mainly set up for matching Mexican citizens who came to America and got lost there or worse. Expansion is OK with me, but how are we going to search for the "E and I" missing in Mexico?

Not sure if this is already posted. Case numbers 01-3585 and o1-3586

- UnidentifiedPersonsBureau - UnidentifiedPersonsBureau

Two partial sets of female skeletal remains were found in Gila Bend in an area known for immigration. Two ID cards of women from Mexico (Rosa Velazquez Corona & Claudia Velazquez Prado) were found, but the remains have never been able to be identified as the women in the ID cards.
Description
She is probably Hispanic and is short in stature. She has probably had a child or carried a child close to term. She has dark hair.
Scientific Information
Her dental x-rays are available.

- UnidentifiedPersonsBureau

Case Number 08-4165
Found on 07/11/08
Age Range under 40
Female
Circumstances
These skeletal remains were found in the area of 339th Avenue and Buckeye Rd in Tonopah, Az. She may have been deceased for more than 3 years. There are circumstances that indicate she may have been crossing the border from Mexico.
Description
The remains are believed to be that of a Caucasian, possibly Hispanic, female. She appears to be under 40 years of age.
Scientific Information
Dental x-rays are available and mtDNA has been entered into CODIS.

A question; how likely is it that somebody who is enforced or involuntary missing in Mexico is found as an unidentified person in America and is entered in Namus? I always thought this particular missing group of people came to hurt and are still in Mexico, buried. Not to downplay the huge problem the Mexican people have with violation of human rights (and how very sad I feel about that) but I thought the thread was mainly set up for matching Mexican citizens who came to America and got lost there or worse. Expansion is OK with me, but how are we going to search for the "E and I" missing in Mexico?
The narco and the police can cross a border to make the body disappear.
It's much easier than we think.

Also, look at this report of the OHCHR about enforced disappearances in the context of migration: Human Rights Documents

International adoption is inquested as a tool of enforced disappearances.

Wanting to cross the border and being a disappeared in the US are not mutually exclusive.

This one raised my eyebrows....

Case Number 20-01123
Found on 03/04/20
Age Range 20 - 40
Jurisdiction MCSO
Female
Circumstances
These partial remains were found by a hunter near Gila Bend, Arizona. It is possible this person may have been trying to cross the border.
Description
Male, Hispanic, adult (20 - 40), unknown height, unknown weight. May have had fractured teeth and a full maxillary (upper) denture.
Scientific Information
Dental information available. DNA will be entered into CODIS.

The narco and the police can cross a border to make the body disappear.
It's much easier than we think.

Also, look at this report of the OHCHR about enforced disappearances in the context of migration: Human Rights Documents

International adoption is inquested as a tool of enforced disappearances.

Wanting to cross the border and being a disappeared in the US are not mutually exclusive.

Thank you for your insights.

Last edited:
FYI, the missing women during the 90's era in maquiladoras in Ciudad Juarez, nearby the US border, are considered as enforced disappearances. The reports from the OHCHR extensively document this problem.

FYI, the missing women during the 90's era in maquiladoras in Ciudad Juarez, nearby the US border, are considered as enforced disappearances. The reports from the OHCHR extensively document this problem.

In my mind they have been included now. Thank you for pointing me to this.

To be clear, you can be in the process of crossing the border and being an enforced disappeared which body is dumped in the US.

Mexican police won't collaborate easily with US LE: the corruption in Mexican police is a real problem.

Enforced disappeared can be in Mexico, but they also can be dumped in US by traffickers with Mexican State agreement.

Think also about the Trump policy for separing parents and children migrants: even if both children and parents are alive, it is still considered as an enforced disappearance of the children. US can and do use enforced disappearance, which is also the key for matching missing persons with UIDs.

International adoptions are inquested as enforced disappearances because the State made the children get out, refused to reveal it to the biological parents and even, threatened the biological parents of jail, or being made disappeared themselves. In Guatemala, disappeared children were in fact trafficked for international adoption with the full State cooperation and corruption by rich countries.

Migrants and enforced disappeared are far from mutually exclusive.

Case Number 20-01123
Found on 03/04/20
Age Range 20 - 40
Jurisdiction MCSO
Female
Circumstances
These partial remains were found by a hunter near Gila Bend, Arizona. It is possible this person may have been trying to cross the border.
Description
Male, Hispanic, adult (20 - 40), unknown height, unknown weight. May have had fractured teeth and a full maxillary (upper) denture.
Scientific Information
Me too. No PMI, nothing. I smell a rat of enforced disappearance here.

Case Number 20-01123
Found on 03/04/20
Age Range 20 - 40
Jurisdiction MCSO
Female
Circumstances
Description
Scientific Information
This is definitely an odd one, fractured teeth and no top teeth to me that would be suggestive of either very poor dental care or something more sinister happened to her. I wish we knew more about her like even a guess at height or weight would be a starting point. I will see if I can come up with anything else on this one thanks for posting it here.

Case Number 08-4165
Found on 07/11/08
Age Range under 40
Female
Circumstances
These skeletal remains were found in the area of 339th Avenue and Buckeye Rd in Tonopah, Az. She may have been deceased for more than 3 years. There are circumstances that indicate she may have been crossing the border from Mexico.
Description
The remains are believed to be that of a Caucasian, possibly Hispanic, female. She appears to be under 40 years of age.
Scientific Information
Dental x-rays are available and mtDNA has been entered into CODIS.
This is another odd one I wonder what makes them list Caucasian as a first race and then possibly Hispanic? Also the specific about mtDNA versus just DNA could that be because of the length of time before the body was found maybe the DNA sample was degraded too much for a full DNA to be extracted?

This might be a stupid question but in what order do names get written in Mexico? For example I have noticed that different sites post the names differently like one site says the possible names are "Rosa Velazquez Corona" and "Claudia Velazquez Prado" but on NamUs they are listed as "Rosa Corona Velazquez" and "Claudia Hermila Prado Velazquez." Now which way is the correct way to write them out is it first name, middle then last or first last then middle? It is confusing me.

This might be a stupid question but in what order do names get written in Mexico? For example I have noticed that different sites post the names differently like one site says the possible names are "Rosa Velazquez Corona" and "Claudia Velazquez Prado" but on NamUs they are listed as "Rosa Corona Velazquez" and "Claudia Hermila Prado Velazquez." Now which way is the correct way to write them out is it first name, middle then last or first last then middle? It is confusing me.

Maybe this can be of use. Mexican Last Names: Frequently Asked Questions • FamilySearch

My question is what happens when somebody with a double surname gets married. The Dutchies have one surname but can choose between keeping the maiden name, the husbands name or officially both for men and women (e.g. <name> wife of <name> or <name> husband of <name>, but the lather is just a formality and almost never used. I wonder how this works in Mexico.

In Spain there is also a choice...double surname, but the parents can choose which one comes first.

Since 1999, Spanish parents have been allowed to choose the order in which their newborn child will wear their surnames. A condition is, however, that both parents clearly indicate this in the declaration and that they mutually agree. In all other cases, the legal order is that of the father first, then that of the mother.
Volgorde achternaam steeds vaker ten gunste van moeder (order of name giving more often in favor of mother)

Last edited:

I don't believe at all you downplay the issue.

But if you read the pages 6 to 14 included in this report, you will understand much better why being a migrant and enforced disappearances are directly linked together more than we'd expect at first glance: Human Rights Documents
I did exactly the same mistake when I started to learn about enforced disappearances, mind you!

I should have pointed you out directly where is the info in the report. My mistake!
Do you accept my apology for my mistake and kindly remind me if I do the same mistake again?
I wrote to you in a hurry, trying to get a clear and concise post and I forgot the most important part *facepalm
I could and should have done better! [angry at myself for such a stupid mistake I shouldn't have done]

I really think that most migrants crossing the Mexico-US border are enforced disappeared in a way or another.

Think also that Mexicans are far from the only migrants crossing the country. Nicaraguans, Salvadorans, Guatemalans, and currently Venezuelans cross the US-Mexico border.
These countries have also serious problems with enforced disappearances.

I think that the title should be changed for more accuracy. I suggest "UID US-Mexico border Project" because the current title is too restrictive for being accurate.

@Dylansmom08 I reported your first post for asking a mod or admin to change the thread's headline to "UID US-Mexico border Project" for the sake of accuracy.
Otherwise, we'd restrict to migrants only from Mexico and miss the mark for better matches.
I don't believe you've broken any rule at all, I just want the headline to accurately reflect the issue at hand. Please accept my apologises if I offended you without intent.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025
Back