USVI - Lucy Schuhmann, 48, tourist from KY, St. John, US Virgin Islands, 19 Sep 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
Lucy-Schuhmann.jpg

Virgin Islands National Park Media Release

Release Date: September 22, 2019

SEARCH FOR MISSING WOMAN CONTINUES IN VIRGIN ISLANDS NATIONAL PARK

ST. JOHN, US VIRGIN ISLANDS-- Lucy Schuhmann, 48, of Kentucky, was reported missing on Thursday, September 19, 2019, by the proprietor of the Airbnb where she was staying in Coral Bay on St. John. Ms. Schuhmann had not checked out as scheduled, her belongings were in her room, and her rental jeep was subsequently found at the Salt Pond parking area in Virgin Islands National Park. Staff from the Park, St John Rescue, and Virgin Islands Police Department initiated water and ground searches of the area on the south shore of the island. A day pack belonging to Ms. Schuhmann was found on the Ram Head Trail, but offered little information. An identification card belonging to a St. John resident was also found, but appears unrelated to the Ms. Schuhmann’s disappearance.

Today National Park Service staff are following up on leads developed by search parties working earlier in the week. Additional searches on the ground took place this morning and Park and St John Rescue divers are searching the waters in the Ram Head area. Weather conditions are likely to deteriorate beginning late tomorrow as Tropical Storm Karen approaches; a Tropical Storm Watch has been issued for the Virgin Islands.

The Park Service asks that the public refrain from visiting the Salt Pond area while the search is ongoing. The search will continue Monday as needed and as safe conditions allow.

Park staff are in close contact and assisting the family of Ms. Schuhmann, who request privacy at this time.

Individuals with information that they believe may assist in the search may call 866.995.8467, option 2. The park will provide regular updates via media releases and social media.

Thank you to all who have assisted in the search for Lucy Schuhmann over the past several days.

Contact Thomas Kelley at 340-690-2440 should you have any questions.

Virgin Islands National Park

Police Seek Missing Kentucky Woman | St. Thomas Source

United States Virgin Islands - Wikipedia

Hopefully she has enough water and food with her. Though, she was planning to check out the next day so doubt she was planning too long of a hike. 5 days missing is a long time. Fingers crossed that searcher will find her safe.

Facebook : Lucy Schuhmann - Missing

I hope Lucy is simply lost or maybe has an injury that prevents her from hiking out.
May she be found safe.

Fanny pack left on trail, along with local i.d.? Sounds very suspicious. No mention of a travelling companion. Why are they searching water??? when I was there 20 years ago st johns was a very primitive place
From the link that @whitelilac posted, the "find" page on FB, they said that the local ID was from another woman hiker who was on that trail earlier the same morning:

Lucy Schuhmann - Missing

I thought the find of the local ID was suspicious also, until I read the above link. It appears that Lucy found the lost local ID, and picked it up so that it could be returned.

Love St. John, it's my most favorite island in the Caribbean. Low crime rate and US laws.

I was just there in February and the islands and beaches were still suffering from Hurricane Maria.

Kentucky woman missing in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Weather in the area is likely to deteriorate as early as Monday afternoon as Tropical Storm Karen approache

She's been there before multiple times. So I suspect foul play. No travel companion mentioned. Didn't bring her phone. She was vulnerable. And I'm casting my net far - not just a local. Could be another tourist. If an accident, she would've been found by now.

Love St. John, it's my most favorite island in the Caribbean. Low crime rate and US laws.

I was just there in February and the islands and beaches were still suffering from Hurricane Maria.

Kentucky woman missing in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Weather in the area is likely to deteriorate as early as Monday afternoon as Tropical Storm Karen approache
Mine too, one of my favorites. And definitely my favorite of the US Virgin Islands. Just the fact that there is a Nat'l Park makes it great.

Sad to hear about there still being damage from last summer's hurricane season. I wonder what condition the hiking trail she took is in and if that may have contributed to whatever has happened to her?

Mine too, one of my favorites. And definitely my favorite of the US Virgin Islands. Just the fact that there is a Nat'l Park makes it great.

Sad to hear about there still being damage from last summer's hurricane season. I wonder what condition the hiking trail she took is in and if that may have contributed to whatever has happened to her?

It was either Irma or Maria, I forgot which devastating hurricane wiped out St. John.

For years, my husband and I stayed at Cinnamon Bay, which was wiped out during the hurricane and is slowing rebuilding. No one is allowed at the beach at Cinnamon Bay.

Caneel Bay and the 5 Star Resort that was there was wiped out completely. Also, no trespassing here either. Last I heard, the government wanted to take over that area so that is another reason the Caneel Bay Resort hasn't rebuilt. From what I heard, people still hike the trail but it has not been maintained at all and is at your own risk.

Secrecy Shrouds Future Of Caneel Bay Resort At Virgin Islands National Park

This is Caneel Bay now, unbelievable:

Taxis from Cruz Bay take day tourists to Trunk Bay which was open for business when we went in February. Since there are very few resorts or hotels open for business on St. John, we stayed on St. Thomas and took a day trip to St. John and Trunk Bay. Trunk Bay was the only spot that had working toilets, showers and food and where they take all tourists looking for a beach day.

I'm not too familiar with Coral Bay where she went missing.

Last edited:
It was either Irma or Maria, I forgot which devastating hurricane wiped out St. John.

For years, my husband and I stayed at Cinnamon Bay, which was wiped out during the hurricane and is slowing rebuilding. No one is allowed at the beach at Cinnamon Bay.

Caneel Bay and the 5 Star Resort that was there was wiped out completely. Also, no trespassing here either. Last I heard, the government wanted to take over that area so that is another reason the Caneel Bay Resort hasn't rebuilt. From what I heard, people still hike the trail but it has not been maintained at all and is at your own risk.

Secrecy Shrouds Future Of Caneel Bay Resort At Virgin Islands National Park

This is Caneel Bay now, unbelievable:

Taxis from Cruz Bay take day tourists to Trunk Bay which was open for business when we went in February. Since there are very few resorts or hotels open for business on St. John, we stayed on St. Thomas and took a day trip to St. John and Trunk Bay. Trunk Bay was the only spot that had working toilets, showers and food and where they take all tourists looking for a beach day.

I'm not too familiar with Coral Bay where she went missing.
Neither am I familiar with that side of the island. We came over from Saint Thomas as well for the day as we were on a cruise and chose an excursion to Saint John. We spent the morning touring and the afternoon at Trunk Bay which was so beautiful. The snorkeling was superb. I'm sorry to see the destruction in this video.

Schuhmann left her Coral Bay rental unit on St. John in a rented yellow Jeep Wrangler. She was expected to check out of the unit and return the rented Jeep on Thursday but hasn’t been seen since 8 a.m. Wednesday.

Her Jeep was found parked at Salt Pond Bay on Friday afternoon. All of her belongings are still in the rental unit.

Schumann, who resides in Louisville, Kentucky, has been described as tall and athletic with brown hair.

She arrived on St. John on Sunday, Sep. 15. This is not her first visit to the island.

Police Seek Missing Kentucky Woman | St. Thomas Source

My memory of the Ram's Head trail is that it terminates on cliffs with a beautiful view of the water below. Very peaceful. Fairly open terrain. The kind of place you would want to see one last time before going home.

My memory of the Ram's Head trail is that it terminates on cliffs with a beautiful view of the water below. Very peaceful. Fairly open terrain. The kind of place you would want to see one last time before going home.

Absolutely. I was just coming to say this. That trail takes you right to the edge of the edge of the edge of the earth it felt like to me! The hike is an easy one - not long nor especially difficult albeit a bit rocky, but the cliff you come out on at the end is like whoa!

Lots of pics and links but this one is pretty good (sorry if already posted) Ram's Head Trail - St. John Activities Guide

And here is a google map: Google Maps

TS Storm Karen closing in today and Wednesday. Searches appear to be continuing.

I wonder why she would leave her daypack on the trail? Would she have left on purpose to help find her as she thought she was lost? Doesn't make sense why she would leave it behind if she was hiking, whether she left it there on her way out or back had already hiked the trail and was returning to her vehicle.

"Searchers found Schuhmann's day pack on the Ram Head Trail over the weekend but it offered little information, Kelly said.

Park Superintendent Nigel Fields stressed the urgency of locating Schuhmann as extreme weather approaches St. John."

Urgent search is underway for a Kentucky woman missing in the Virgin Islands as Tropical Storm Karen approaches - CNN

"The multi-agency search, which includes resources from the Virgin Islands Police Department and St. John Rescue, will continue despite tropical storm warnings that have closed local marine ports, Kelly said.

The US Coast Guard joined park staff in the search Monday, using air operations to look for the missing woman around the southern shoreline of the Virgin Island National Park near where her rental vehicle was found."

Last edited:
Looks beautiful. Sounds a bit strenuous and hot - easily subject to dehydration if not prepared. Nothing stated about the contents of her daypack right? Was her water in that, I wonder... I see that it's possible she fell into the Sea, and since there is not trace of her, I can't think of anything else that may have caused her to disappear (other than foul play - and I really don't want to imagine that in such a lovely spot).

I believe I read that she was last seen by the owner of the AirBNB but I have yet to see if the owner was male or female. She was reported missing by that person because she didn't check out on time? Just makes me wonder. Hopefully they have vetted that owner.

Brief update buried in the original article:
Officials expanded their search after receiving a tip called into Crimestoppers on Wednesday morning, said Karl Caesar, a spokesman for the Virgin Islands Police Department told CNN. The search area in St. John now includes a body of water near the pond where investigators searched on Monday.
Virgin Island officials are expanding the search for a missing Kentucky woman - CNN

I have a younger granddaughter who loves to travel alone. Stories like this one haunt me. I hope her family has an answer soon.

I just created an account to post here. I live in Louisville and my family has a home on St John, I visit a few times a year. I just hiked Ram head trail a month or so back. It's strange because it's not a particularly perilous trail and I would think you have to be acting in a seriously risky way to get close to falling off the edge. The trail itself isn't particularly hard but you are exposed to the sun for the majority of the hike, we always bring water and wear hats. It was very busy when we were last out there, must have passed at least 4 or 5 other couples/groups.

I just created an account to post here. I live in Louisville and my family has a home on St John, I visit a few times a year. I just hiked Ram head trail a month or so back. It's strange because it's not a particularly perilous trail and I would think you have to be acting in a seriously risky way to get close to falling off the edge. The trail itself isn't particularly hard but you are exposed to the sun for the majority of the hike, we always bring water and wear hats. It was very busy when we were last out there, must have passed at least 4 or 5 other couples/groups.
Thank you for your informative post and welcome to Webseluths! Curious about the statement in the post above yours - searching a body of water. Would you have any idea what/where that is? I assume it isn't referring to the sea.

Here it is: (Seems worded weirdly - a body of water near the pond?)

"The search area in St. John now includes a body of water near the pond where investigators searched on Monday."

BBM

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webberry
Back