USVI - Lucy Schuhmann, 48, tourist from KY, St. John, US Virgin Islands, 19 Sep 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I feel so many things are just not adding up in this case:( I have read Lucy is an extremely intelligent woman and I really cannot fathom her leaving her cell phone back at the rental unit while going on a day hike, especially being by herself this entire trip. I feel her day pack might have been planted on the trail to throw the search off in a different direction? And yes questions about who owns the rental property and the jeep rental company? She could have been followed possibly. Where was she Tuesday evening into the morning of Wednesday? Surely they are doing cell phone forensics and checking her bank account to see where she has been frequenting and talking with down there. I pray deeply she is founds so very safe soon. Just so many questions left unanswered, I wish they would unveil.

Fanny pack left on trail, along with local i.d.? Sounds very suspicious. No mention of a travelling companion. Why are they searching water??? when I was there 20 years ago st johns was a very primitive place
I feel the same way. I feel the daypack was planted on the trail. THere is no way she would have left her cellphone back at the airbnb either. She is exremelty intelligent, well traveled lady. I am wondering about the airbnb owner and the jeep rental company as well. Where was she Tuesday evening going into Wednesday morning where she was reported to have gone hiking? Just so many questions left unanswered.

Search resumes for Kentucky woman missing in U.S. Virgin Islands

The expanded search includes "some of the most remote and rugged areas of" the Virgin Islands National Park, according to a park statement. "The terrain is very steep and thickly vegetated, while conditions are hot, wet and humid," the statement continued. "Safety of the park staff is of concern as the recent storms have downed trees and other vegetation along hiking trails.

Search resumes for Kentucky woman missing in U.S. Virgin Islands

The expanded search includes "some of the most remote and rugged areas of" the Virgin Islands National Park, according to a park statement. "The terrain is very steep and thickly vegetated, while conditions are hot, wet and humid," the statement continued. "Safety of the park staff is of concern as the recent storms have downed trees and other vegetation along hiking trails.

Officials expanded their search after receiving a tip ...

Virgin Island officials are expanding the search for a missing Kentucky woman - CNN

Thank you for your informative post and welcome to Webseluths! Curious about the statement in the post above yours - searching a body of water. Would you have any idea what/where that is? I assume it isn't referring to the sea.

Here it is: (Seems worded weirdly - a body of water near the pond?)

"The search area in St. John now includes a body of water near the pond where investigators searched on Monday."

BBM

If you put 'salt pond st John' into google maps and switch to the satellite view, you will see a small pond/body of water next to the pond. I'm guessing that this is what they referring to?

ETA: the ram head trail runs right next to this 'body of water'. My guess would be that this body of water is a smaller salt pond. The water in the salt pond was very brown and smelly last time we were there. In contrast the ocean is bright blue and crystal clear.

Last edited:
Wonder what the tip about a body of water near the Salt Pond is about. And from some sort of witness? That water is murky enough to hide something/someone, I guess, though doesn't seen too deep.

What do we have here? The 4 usual scenarios:
Accident.
Foul play.
Self-disappearance.
Suicide, though not enough info to suggest she was despondent about anything.

I was completely on board with accident, and still mostly leaning that way. A fall into the sea would not necessarily be conducive to locating her. JMO

It's been over a week since she was last seen.

Here is a video of the ram's head trail. Doesn't seem to difficult to navigate or hike at all.
I don't see how she could have gotten lost or if she did fall, to not have too of a serious injury or to
have not be found by now? I hope she is found safely soon. Praying for her and her family.

Lucy visits St. John frequently

She is friends with lots of people on island that are locals

She always stays with her friends for free

This trip she did not tell any of her friends that she was coming

She rented an Airbnb and a car when usually she stays with friends for free

When she got on island none of her friends knew she was there

Her friends didn’t even know she was on St. John until she was reported missing

She just graduated medical school at U of L and recently took some big medical
Exam after she graduated

She did bad on the exam and was really upset with herself

she could’ve intentionally harmed herself somehow possibly by jumping off of the cliff on rams head because she didn’t let any of her friends know she was coming and stayed at an Airbnb while staying under the radar from her friends.

She could have left her backpack on the trail on purpose so her family knew her last whereabouts.

Another thing important to point out is her family is asking for privacy so now knowing the circumstances surrounding her disappearance it makes sense why they want privacy because they likely know she was upset with herself and could’ve harmed herself. if my family was missing I would be doing everything in my power to get media’s attention and speaking out not just asking for privacy because I’d want to find them ASAP!!

Last edited:
Lucy has visited St. John frequently and always makes plans ahead of time with them and stays with her friends on island who she knows for free. Although this trip she did not let any of her friends on island know she was coming and rented an Airbnb And rental car which she does not usually do. Her friends did not know she was even on St. John until she was reported missing. Apparently she was really upset with herself. It’s also important to point out that her family is asking for privacy. If it were my family member missing I would be making a huge fuss making sure I’m doing everything I can until they are found. If this theory is correct that could be why they’re asking for privacy because maybe they know she is gone.
She was upset with herself? I read she just completed medical school exams. Maybe she just needed a break from everything and everyone? I too am wondering why the family hasn't offered a reward for her whereabouts or assisted in some kind of media press conference to help search for her. If she was upset with herself, Im hoping she didn't harm herself somehow:( This just gets more and more mysterious:(

If you do not pass your board exams, cannot you retake them? I believe you can, but there is a waiting period. I wonder if she has any past behavioral issues, like bipolar depression or something that would cause her to act manically like privately booking this trip spontaneously, ect...Just pray she is safe somewhere. Could be a Gone Girl type of case?

I’m not too sure about retaking exams or how that works. I am leaning towards this is more of a missing persons case where she harmed herself more so than a crime occurring based on the situation. I do hope she is found soon and safe. Unfortunately since her family isn’t releasing any details I don’t know about medical history but is possible she has any of those. Have just heard these facts from her friends and thought I’d share.

Virgin Islands National Park staff planned to expand their search on Thursday morning for Lucy Schuhmann, 48, of Kentucky. Local park staff are being assisted by technical climbing experts from other NPS units, and have also requested a small number of island residents to support their search efforts.

The ground search is being expanded Thursday as additional hiking trails, roadsides and shoreline will be searched. The park is requesting assistance from volunteers to conduct ground searches led by NPS staff. Only adults who are physically fit and acclimated to local weather conditions should volunteer.

Park Service Seeking Small Number Of Local Volunteers To Assist In Search For Lucy Schuhmann

I’m not too sure about retaking exams or how that works. I am leaning towards this is more of a missing persons case where she harmed herself more so than a crime occurring based on the situation. I do hope she is found soon and safe. Unfortunately since her family isn’t releasing any details I don’t know about medical history but is possible she has any of those. Have just heard these facts from her friends and thought I’d share.
I am not familiar with Ram's Head, but from looking at the video on youtube it seems she would have been found if she had jumped? Is it a very high cliff? So very sad all of this and I really hope this is not the outcome:( I also hope that is not her dog in the picture that is on the news:( I am sure her dog is missing her:( Makes me so sad.

She's been there before multiple times. So I suspect foul play. No travel companion mentioned. Didn't bring her phone. She was vulnerable. And I'm casting my net far - not just a local. Could be another tourist. If an accident, she would've been found by now.
Not bringing her phone isn’t that out of the ordinary considering how bad the cell service is after the recent hurricanes.

Lucy visits St. John frequently

She is friends with lots of people on island that are locals

She always stays with her friends for free

This trip she did not tell any of her friends that she was coming

She rented an Airbnb and a car when usually she stays with friends for free

When she got on island none of her friends knew she was there

Her friends didn’t even know she was on St. John until she was reported missing

She just graduated medical school at U of L and recently took some big medical
Exam after she graduated

She did bad on the exam and was really upset with herself

she could’ve intentionally harmed herself somehow possibly by jumping off of the cliff on rams head because she didn’t let any of her friends know she was coming and stayed at an Airbnb while staying under the radar from her friends.

She could have left her backpack on the trail on purpose so her family knew her last whereabouts.

Another thing important to point out is her family is asking for privacy so now knowing the circumstances surrounding her disappearance it makes sense why they want privacy because they likely know she was upset with herself and could’ve harmed herself. if my family was missing I would be doing everything in my power to get media’s attention and speaking out not just asking for privacy because I’d want to find them ASAP!!
Thank you for joining us here. Do you know Lucy? Seems like you know quite a bit more than the rest of us have been able to find out about her. Much of what you mention in your post would lead to the conclusion that she was not acting normally. IMO

I am not familiar with Ram's Head, but from looking at the video on youtube it seems she would have been found if she had jumped? Is it a very high cliff? So very sad all of this and I really hope this is not the outcome:( I also hope that is not her dog in the picture that is on the news:( I am sure her dog is missing her:( Makes me so sad.
The hike is very rocky. It is a pretty high fall down if you were to go overboard. The slaves used to jump from Rams Head to end their life of torture. The recent storm could be the reason why it is hard to find anything in the water so far.

Thank you for joining us here. Do you know Lucy? Seems like you know quite a bit more than the rest of us have been able to find out about her. Much of what you mention in your post would lead to the conclusion that she was not acting normally. IMO
I do not know Lucy but have been searching for answers as it’s very odd how little the media was saying. This information has come from locals around town on island that are friends with Lucy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webberry
Back