GUILTY UT - Brian Mitchell & Wanda Barzee for kidnapping, Salt Lake City, 5 June 2002

• Thread starter Thread starter CW
  • Start date Start date
Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That's exactly what I was going to say. He is quite competent within his own strange belief system.

But whether prison itself would do him any good; I don't know. Do some offer BOTH incarceration and mental health treatment? If he abused her, which I assume he did, he needs to be locked up for a good while; AND treated, if possible IMO.

I don't know that much about this case, but just a little reading, so I really have no idea what we should do with people who think they are somehow serving their "God" by doing bad things. What happened to the Jeffs fellow, and the people of that weird Texas cult? It's gotten really quiet.

In my opinion, Prison doesn't do anyone any good. He needs to be in prison to protect society. I believe as many others, if he was competent enough to kidnap her out of her bedroom and keep her hidden all those months, he's competent to stand trial.

If he was competent enough to kidnap Elizabeth Smart from her bedroom, hide her for nine months, and brainwash her so she wouldn't try to escape, he competent enough to stand before a jury of his peers and answer to his actions.

:clap::clap::clap:

Well, I certainly now have unnecessary anxiety after hearing this! :furious:

I wonder if you can sue? That might cause him some real "anxiety!" He deserves to suffer from FEAR, he needs to be SCARED youknowwhat! For a long, long time. I think they should just add the death penalty to his potential sentences. Maybe then he would have a reason for his anxiety!

Salem

*snipped*
Defense attorneys for the mentally incompetent man charged with kidnapping Elizabeth Smart have asked the court to dismiss his case, contending he is suffering unnecessary anxiety over a criminal trial that is unlikely to be held.

:mad: WHEN will we hold people accountable for their atrocities, ESPECIALLY those involving children?! :furious:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081213/ap_on_re_us/elizabeth_smart_mitchell

He's suffering unnecessary anxiety over going to trial :furious: How about what Elizabeth suffered for nine months while he held her captive and sexually abused her...if he was able. To heck with how that monster is feeling. Let's put the victim first for a change.

Having grown up in Salt Lake, I watched this case very closely from beginning to end. I believe the reason that this monster is considered unfit to stand trial, is because anytime they have had him in a court room, he sings (literally) non-stop about his made-up religion (which closely resembles FLDS). In my opinion, this man is crazy (How could you not be crazy to do the things he did to Elizabeth?) but he is fully aware of what is going on around him and is using his label of "crazy or insane" to his advantage. From what I understand, he does not sing all day long, just when they put him in any type of courtroom and he wants to avoid dealing with whatever officials are there to do that day.

Just some note's on the case:
He also had plans to break into Elizabeths cousin's home and abduct her as well, he wished her to become his "3rd Wife". I believe he attempted it but was unable to get into the home.
When he first abducted Elizabeth, she was kept in the foothills very close to her home. He had dug a hole in the ground and then covered it with boards and leaves, etc, so that you could not tell it was there from say a helicopter viewpoint. There were knives, ropes, and other items retrieved from this place after Elizabeth was recovered. Elizabeth later said, she heard searchers calling for her after her abduction but was too scared to respond.
This man broke her down, turned a 14 year old girl into a subserviant "wife" and sexual plaything. She grew up in a VERY sheltered and religious LDS home.

Live: The testimony of Elizabeth Smart

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_13461691

The following is a running version of the testimony being given by Elizabeth Smart on Thursday in federal court in Salt Lake City. Smart is testifying about her disappearance in 2002.
The dialogue is being presented as accurately as possible and will be updated throughout the day by Tribune staff members.

WARNING: This testimony contains sexually graphic and violent descriptions.

This guy is so evil. I remember when he was identified as a suspect watching interviews of his step-daughter and Wanda's daughter. When the daughter was young she had a pet rabbit. One night they were eating dinner when he announced to her they were eating her pet rabbit. She ran out to the rabbits cage and sure enough the rabbit was gone. This was just one example of the torture he inflicted on his step children.

The updates have stopped, I think they may have taken a lunch break.

Elizabeth is one very strong, brave woman! The crap coming out of his mouth sounds just like a page from the garbage of Phillip Garrido!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I will never forget the moment I found out they had found Elizabeth. This one sticks close to my heart, thanks for posting SuziQ.

The testimony of Elizabeth Smart *UPDATE*

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 10/01/2009 02:39:16 PM MDT

Related

* Elizabeth Smart kidnapping case
* Oct 1:
* Elizabeth Smart testifies against her accused kidnapper
* Smart shared little in earlier public appearances
* Barzee's descent into self-delusion » Old friends recall happier times
* Alive and well » Elizabeth Smart found nine months after vanishing from her home
* Ultimate nightmare » Somber mood grips valley in search for missing girl
* Mitchell's journey to 'Immanuel' » His life changed radically, from diligent family man to delusional vagabond
* The aftermath » Key lessons, hard questions of Elizabeth story here to stay
* The Smart way » How a determined family defied the odds and helped bring Elizabeth home
* Sep 28:
* Judge rules Elizabeth Smart can take stand
* Sep 27:
* Elizabeth Smart case: Barzee seeks forgiveness, desires re-baptism as LDS

The following is a version of the testimony being given by Elizabeth Smart on Thursday in federal court in Salt Lake City. Smart testified about her disappearance in 2002.

The dialogue is being presented as accurately as possible and will be updated.

WARNING: The testimony contains graphic sexual and violent descriptions.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_13462888

Feed that waste of skin into a wood chipper and be done with it.

I second that motion!

Gosh, Elizabeth was strong and she's very intelligent. I can't believe what she went through. I am so thankful she is here to be a witness not only to the power of faith, but to the conviction of these scum.

I just read that entire testimony from Elizabeth and all I can say is my heart and prayers go out to her. How remarkably sad. She is a strong strong strong woman, and I'm amazed at how much she remembered. She is in my prayers as she continues to heal from this unthinkable tragedy.

It's been six years and these two scumbags are still having competency hearings? I say feed them to the other prisoners and be done with them. JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bathory2424
Back