GUILTY UT - Brian Mitchell & Wanda Barzee for kidnapping, Salt Lake City, 5 June 2002

• Thread starter Thread starter CW
  • Start date Start date
Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
wow... thanks SuziQ.. what a horrible nine months for Elizabeth..

I say let the prisoners at 'em... then stuff 'em in the woodchipper!

Lord hat poor girl. She is unbeleivably strong to be able to move past the hideous 9 months of torture.. I am hope her parents are able to get thru this testimony adn the knowledge of what happened while elizabeth was gone.. they didnt know the details til now. This must reopen that wound again for them and their worst fears realized. What an incredibly bright wonderful young woman I am grateful the perv let her live thru this. i hope she is able to live a fairly normal life and perhaps help other survivors.

What a fantastic young woman she is. I hope that once this trial is over, she can finally experience a day where she doesn't have to think about any of it.

She is a credit to humanity everywhere & an amazing role model for teenagers. Her parents must be lovely people to have raised such wonderful kids.

(is the Wanda trial over yet?)

his own mother had a restraining order on him

wow

just wow

Yes, she does seem very tough. Some have criticized that she has not gone to therapists and that her chipper "all is past me now" attitude acts to shove down the trauma she went through. I think I disagree. I don't know what she's done with counseling but sometimes therapists want you to relive traumatic events that you'll never forget anyhow, rather than learn tools to cope with feelings you now have as a result of the trauma. So, I don't know that conventional therapy is that helpful in all cases. I think her strong family, the immense support she has from her friends, church, community, and her strong faith have really worked wonders. I am seriously impressed with Elizabeth. Her testimony showed real courage, confidence and committment to seeing these freaks face justice. Way to go Elizabeth!

I believe that Elizabeth's faith has gotten her though all of this. It is obvious she loves and trusts her faith in God. This is coming from someone who has no religious affiliations.

Papers detail mental health findings in Smart case
October 7th, 2009 @ 4:43pm

By JENNIFER DOBNER
Associated Press Writer
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - Federal court papers show a forensic psychiatrist believes the man charged in the abduction of Elizabeth Smart suffers from disorders that include pedophilia, narcissism and malingering, a condition that suggests he may be exaggerating his illnesses to avoid prosecution.

More at link:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=157&sid=8055073

I just can't believe they are STILL have competency hearings. The guy obviously knew what he was doing, he knew the consequences and his behavior during the kidnapping indicates that. While I think religious fanaticism is a form of insanity it does not mean said person IS insane. Of course he is exagerrating his symptoms in an attempt to once again manipulate people to get what he wants except this time it isn't going to work.

Thanks for sharing this SuziQ. Elizabeth's case and Laci Peterson's case are the two cases that got me into following missing person's cases. I never thought Elizabeth would be found alive, and I still remember the feeling I had when I heard the news. I also will never forget the HORRIBLE AWFUL rumors and nasty things people were posting on the internet about her after she was found. And I'm so thankful she has gotten the chance to tell her story and had the courage to do so.

I think Elizabeth is incredibly strong and brave.
I read in an article recently that she was upset that Brian David Mitchell had to be taken from the courtroom before her testimony due to the fact he would not stop singing, etc.
She felt better when she was told that he had to listen and watch from another room though. She WANTED to face this man that took so much from her.

I'm Dawna Kaufmann, a freelance true crime investigative journalist and co-author (with Dr. Cyril Wecht) of A Question of Murder, about the lives and deaths of Anna Nicole Smith and her son Daniel, Danielle van Dam and Stephanie Crowe, and a doctor who committed "involuntary euthanasia" on hospital patients in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Like many of you, I was riveted by the abduction of Elizabeth Smart from her Salt Lake City bedroom in June of 2002. I wrote three early articles, including at least one for Globe magazine, suggesting that her abductor might be a Mormon off-shoot "prophet" who was seeking a sister-wife. Nine months later when Smart was recovered in the company of Brian David Mitchell and his wife Wanda Barzee, it turned out that my theory was correct.

There has been a long road toward taking Mitchell and Barzee to trial for their crime. Initially the local district attorney decided to try the case, but their experts determined that Mitchell was mentally incompetent. More recently, federal prosecutors took over the case and did their own psychiatric evaluations. They determined that Mitchell is a "malingerer," who should indeed stand trial. (Barzee was found competent and a date for her trial will be announced soon.) A federal judge is reviewing information from both prosecutors and Mitchell's defense attorney, and will decide at the end of November whether Mitchell, now 56 and in jail, is fit to face trial.

If Mitchell is tried and convicted, he will likely get a long prison sentence, maybe even life behind bars. If he is deemed incompetent, he will be returned to a mental institution where he has the chance of being released in a couple of years.

I know what a powerful force Websleuths and Forums for Justice can be for victim advocacy and I come to you now in hopes that readers here will be able to help on this case. From my study of Mitchell, and of sexual predators in general, I believe it would be a grave mistake for him to ever be set free.

Mitchell was first arrested at 16 years of age, after exposing himself to a girl. Because he was a juvenile, that arrest was sealed. He didn't learn from that experience and adjust his criminal instincts. Instead he just became more careful to choose passive targets as he continued his decades-long history of sexual assaults. He is the ultimate predator -- a great white shark with an unquenchable thirst for sex with minors.

Mitchell had a habit of getting close to women who had children, even marrying two of them, giving him easy access to their kids. He had four children of his own and lived at various times in households where there were plenty of young ones. Although girls were his preference, one three-year-old boy also complained of molestation by Mitchell. To ensure the children kept his secrets, he would threaten their families and kill their pets. He shot one dog in the head and cooked the family bunny and served it for dinner. (This is not uncommon behavior for a child molester.) In one case when a young girl complained to her mother and Mitchell was expelled from the home, he was forced into treatment. But the counselor was buffaloed by Mitchell's gift of gab and there was no real punishment.

During the time Mitchell had control of Elizabeth Smart, he regaled her with how he could talk his way out of trouble for crimes he committed. There is video proof of this when he, Barzee and Smart traveled to San Diego. While Mitchell left the females to seek out drugs and/or alcohol he was busted for breaking into a church and held in jail for a week. TV footage shows him explaining himself to the judge and acting like a rational individual, not the raving lunatic who shouts out Bible verses and songs in the Utah courtroom where he wants to be seen as mentally incompetent.

On Oct. 1st, Elizabeth bravely told a federal judge what happened to her during her nine months with Mitchell and Barzee, how she feared for her life and that of her family, and his sexual assaults on her which even her family had not known about. From the night she was taken and marched to a hilly campsite three miles away, where she was chained to a tree, through her last days with Mitchell, she was raped -- sometimes three or four times per day. There was not a 24-hour period where she was not assaulted. Sometimes he would ply her with drugs or alcohol to make her more compliant.

Mitchell's dream was to have Barzee be his "Queen," with a team of 49 young and beautiful sister-wives to serve his sexual needs. Elizabeth was just his first step; he also attempted to kidnap her young cousin and cozied up to another Mormon family who invited him for dinner where he obsessed about a female teenager in that household. Luckily those two girls were never abducted before he was arrested.

Elizabeth testified that Mitchell was "evil, wicked, manipulative, sneaky, slimy, selfish, greedy, not spiritual, not religious, not close to God." Throughout her months of knowing Mitchell, and his claims of being a godly prophet, she never once saw him do anything kind or helpful to another person or entity. His main drive was sexual -- a trait he seems to share with other self-styled radical cult leaders from David Koresh of the Branch Davidians to David Berg of the Children of God. Phillip Garrido, the accused kidnapper of Jaycee Dugard, who snatched her off the street, impregnated her and kept her for 18 years, spouted religious verses as a cover for his pedophilia. Mitchell has a lot in common with him too.

Elizabeth wants Mitchell to go to trial, as does her family. That could depend on the quality of corroboration that can prove a criminal pattern to Mitchell's behavior.

Throughout his adult life, Mitchell has traveled extensively across the U.S. He would zero in on Mormon communities because they were receptive to giving him money or occasional work---he held temporary jobs as a handyman and janitor---and because they had a plentiful assortment of pretty young girls. He has studied psychology, mind control and hypnosis, and is a vegetarian -- and he likes to lecture on those subjects.

Before he grew his beard and became gray, his hair was naturally brown. He's about 5'3" and scrawny, and his eyes are blue. (One of Philip Garrido's previous victims never forgot his piercing blue eyes.) Mitchell's known aliases include Immanuel Davis, Isaiah, Michael Jenson or David Shurlson, and there could be others.

If anyone has had an encounter with Mitchell, I'd appreciate if they would come forward. I have set up an account for leads: briandavidmitchellvictim@gmail.com.

Even if the encounter with him wasn't sexual, there might be details to help fill in some blanks on his personal timeline. If one has had an unwelcome sexual encounter with him, telling the story to prosecutors might provide important closure and strengthen one's resolve.

I am not requesting this information for a story. Any real leads will be given to federal authorities. Time is short, however. The judicial decision comes next month and anyone with information needs to be checked out in advance.

Thank you very much.

Dawna Kaufmann is an incredible investigative reporter and dear friend of Websleuths.com and our sister station Forums For Justice.org

Rarely do I endorse someone but Dawna is a rare and great person indeed.

I put this thread in the "Crimes in the News" to make sure everyone would have a chance to read it.

Tricia

What's Not to Love about this News?! Dawna - Thank You for helping out, this Monster just couldn't have been a newbie...

Woman pleads guilty to charges in Smart kidnapping
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- One of two people charged in the 2002 abduction of Elizabeth Smart has pleaded guilty to federal charges.

In a deal with prosecutors, Wanda Eileen Barzee pleaded guilty to charges of kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ELIZABETH_SMART?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

<snip>

CNN) -- A woman accused with her husband of kidnapping Utah teenager Elizabeth Smart in 2002 is set to plead guilty in federal court Tuesday under terms of a plea deal reached with prosecutors, according to court documents.

Wanda Eileen Barzee, 64, is charged with kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor with intent to engage in criminal sexual activity, according to a 2008 indictment that a federal grand jury returned against her.

The terms of her plea agreement have not been made public and will not be until the agreement is executed in court, said Melodie Rydalch, spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office for Utah.

more here http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/17/smart.plea/index.html

Too bad Wanda isn't being held responsible for the horrific abuse she put her own children through.

<snip>

CNN) -- A woman accused with her husband of kidnapping Utah teenager Elizabeth Smart in 2002 is set to plead guilty in federal court Tuesday under terms of a plea deal reached with prosecutors, according to court documents.

Wanda Eileen Barzee, 64, is charged with kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor with intent to engage in criminal sexual activity, according to a 2008 indictment that a federal grand jury returned against her.

The terms of her plea agreement have not been made public and will not be until the agreement is executed in court, said Melodie Rydalch, spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office for Utah.

more here http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/17/smart.plea/index.html

So where is she going to be held now, I wonder? Will she stay at the State Hospital or will she be moved to the prison seeing how she is (medicated) sane? I would like to know if where she is held is part of the plea agreement... I suspect it is. And ya know what else? The terms will never be made public because it'll never be executed in court- they will keep claiming this dude is insane. This agreement is a joke, who is she gonna testify against if there is never a trial?

So where is she going to be held now, I wonder? Will she stay at the State Hospital or will she be moved to the prison seeing how she is (medicated) sane? I would like to know if where she is held is part of the plea agreement... I suspect it is. And ya know what else? The terms will never be made public because it'll never be executed in court- they will keep claiming this dude is insane. This agreement is a joke, who is she gonna testify against if there is never a trial?

From what i understand (this may vary state to state) is that she was held at the state hospital (which may be a barbed wire max security state forensic type hospital; until she was found competent to stand trial, which took years).
It is very important she testify against Mitchell, which is why i think they had in the state hospital for years, normally in that case of being mentally incompetent for years, i would think she would serve out her time in the state hospital and be found guilty by mental disease or defect (insanity).

However in this case, the importance of her testimony against Mitchell is needed, so now that she has finally been competent to stand trial, i would think that any time given to her would be served in a state prison.

If the crime she commited wasn't high profile and say she had done something like murder someone, assault, arson (pretty much something that wasn't a high profile case) I would think she would most likely be found not guilty by reason of insanity and serve out the time in the state hospital (assuming it is a forensic hospital completely and not a regular "civil hospital".

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bathory2424
Back