UT UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, wkg on farm, “weird run-in” with a guy walking on gravel rd, no phone & CC activity, Lucin, Box Elder Co, 25 May 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The FB page has announced another search for Dylan on Saturday, meeting in Montello, NV. Family/friends feel that not enough searches have been done in that area as opposed to Box Elder County, UT.
Dylan spoke to his grandmother on Saturday morning, 5/28. At that time he was at his farm in Lucin, Box Elder County, preparing to garage his grain truck so his seed wouldn’t get wet from predicted rain storms. The shed where he garages his grain truck is approximately 5 miles from the trailer on his property where he lives. He told his gma that he would call back later that day, but never did.
It is believed by his mother, CC, that Dylan would walk home the 5 miles to his trailer from the shed. His boots were found behind a pile of dirt about 100 yards from the shed. His phone last pinged in that general area at 3:40 pm that afternoon. Did Dylan ever make it home from the shed? Who power washed Dylan’s truck that was parked and locked at his trailer?
It is about 28 miles from the shed to Montello. You cross state lines and enter a different time zone to get there. There is a lot of open barren land between the 2 locations.

Attachments

• 01F10074-F0B5-4435-B476-4503BB594F0C.jpeg
    01F10074-F0B5-4435-B476-4503BB594F0C.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 6DC3544A-EE93-4D4A-9E75-A0632EE289E3.jpeg
    6DC3544A-EE93-4D4A-9E75-A0632EE289E3.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
@ClaireNC, I had been trying to find parcels that matched what we saw in the video of the shop area. I don’t know if BLM would allow private buildings to be constructed on public land.
The closest one I could find that seemed to be similar, Parcel 01-035-0191, is near the parcel you pointed out. It is owned by Box Elder Land & Livestock LLC. I didn’t dig too much, but a quick Google search didn’t turn up anything on them. They own several parcels in the area. Dylan’s mom said he was doing some work on other ranches. I wonder if he did some work for them in return for be able to use the shed to store his grain truck in inclement weather?
I’ve attached a couple of more screenshots of the parcels. I haven’t yet found another metal shed in the area that looks like the one in the video, but I’m still looking.
I also did a quick search on the LLC and didn’t find anything. I’ll check into it more later. I’m wondering if the “shop” is kind of a co-op for area farmers. Or he could be renting space there for the truck. We don’t know if he actually owns the grain truck, it could belong to the “shop” owners and he has an arrangement with them to use it.

I think it’s relevant because it means he’s not completely alone out on the farm. There could be others who also use the shop. Looking around on the maps, the shop is one of the only buildings around.

I also did a quick search on the LLC and didn’t find anything. I’ll check into it more later. I’m wondering if the “shop” is kind of a co-op for area farmers. Or he could be renting space there for the truck. We don’t know if he actually owns the grain truck, it could belong to the “shop” owners and he has an arrangement with them to use it.

I think it’s relevant because it means he’s not completely alone out on the farm. There could be others who also use the shop. Looking around on the maps, the shop is one of the only buildings around.
That makes perfect sense. Lots of farmers will share resources. They may accept some labor for the use of the facilities.

Mostly I think it was the post-editing work to overlay the background of melancholy music as his mom speaks.
Compassion for his mom feels staged.
I think the “overly produced” aspect of the video is probably in line with the content he produces on a day-to-day basis. I’m not familiar with that particular YouTube channel… BUT my husband follows an insane number of golf related YouTubers and the production in the videos he watches are similar. They almost feel like you’re watching a TV documentary. It honestly just means they are very good at producing content.

If I had to guess — these guys probably produce a lot of unrelated (to missing persons) content and produced this video the same way they produce everything else without realizing the overproduction might come off as disingenuous. If that makes any sense…

So why was the grain truck not in the shed? Did something happen before he had a chance to move it?

Where did you read that the grain truck never made it to shelter?

If OP making assumptions from the screenshot, that's a mistake. Take note that the screenshot is from about 13 days later and not as the scene appeared when DR vanished. Same reason why there are now RVs and camper vans in the photo -- they belong to family & friends that have come to help search. MOO

According to family, the correct date Dylan was seen in Montello was the 27th. LE is not sure why the date keeps getting changed. Imo, it appears Dylan made it back to the farm and something happened there.

Official site (family) says they got the 5/27 date in Montello from Box Elder County Sheriff, and they are in the process of seeking clarification since the 6/9 Press Release by Elko County Sheriff which puts DR in Montello on 5/26.

IMO, the variance is likely due to receipt of DRs phone records from Verizon. According to Elko Sheriff, his phone records place DR in Montello on 5/26, not 5/27. MOO

I'm thinking after Dylan finished his call with grandma, that he drove to the shop area and happened upon a robbery in progress or something. Something bad went down and his boots were discarded. And was that backhoe located? I can't figure out whether it's location is known or not. Is it missing? ^^bbm
CC has confirmed there's nothing missing from the property -- no equipment, vehicles, etc. Missing items are limited to her son, his wallet and cell phone, a .40 pistol, and Ford key fob.

Last edited:
So why was the grain truck not in the shed? Did something happen before he had a chance to move it?

The truck was in the shed. According to CC, LE pulled it out to search it-
ensuring Dylan wasn't inside the seed trailer (accident).

Seems like it's only the Elko County Sheriff saying he was in Montello, NV on the 26th rather than the 27th. Not sure why, since as you said Box Elder County had confirmed to his family it was the 27th.

Wasn't this just supposedly clarified by LE yesterday or the day before too? I think it was originally reported that he was there on the 28th, and it was just confirmed to be the day prior.
@Pursula, Welcome to WS!

I agree -- I think we saw the date for DR in Montello revised a couple of times even before the 6/9 press release by Elko County Sheriff.

Since it's now been about 2 weeks since DR missing, the timing seems right to me that investigators would now have records from Verizon where Elko County Sheriff's statement makes it clear that DRs phone records place him in Montello on 5/26, and not 5/27.

On this one, I'm trusting Elko County Sheriff here because Montello, NV is, actually, -- his jurisdiction. MOO

View attachment 348769

In the East Idaho interview with Nate. CC says the helio search found a set of tracks in a wash, they want ECSO to come look at them to see if it's from Dylan's truck. I didn't catch exactly where this wash is.

CC further stated locals say, "if you want to disappear someone, wait until it rains and take them to the wash". She wants cadaver dogs to be brought in.

This is at 19:02 in the video-

In this interview, CC states that although DR told his mother that he did NOT give the barefoot stranger a ride, she's since confirmed that her son did give the individual a ride to town.

I think there are still reports out there repeating the first version so now we know otherwise.

The FB page has announced another search for Dylan on Saturday, meeting in Montello, NV. Family/friends feel that not enough searches have been done in that area as opposed to Box Elder County, UT.
Dylan spoke to his grandmother on Saturday morning, 5/28. At that time he was at his farm in Lucin, Box Elder County, preparing to garage his grain truck so his seed wouldn’t get wet from predicted rain storms. The shed where he garages his grain truck is approximately 5 miles from the trailer on his property where he lives. He told his gma that he would call back later that day, but never did.
It is believed by his mother, CC, that Dylan would walk home the 5 miles to his trailer from the shed. His boots were found behind a pile of dirt about 100 yards from the shed. His phone last pinged in that general area at 3:40 pm that afternoon. Did Dylan ever make it home from the shed? Who power washed Dylan’s truck that was parked and locked at his trailer?
It is about 28 miles from the shed to Montello. You cross state lines and enter a different time zone to get there. There is a lot of open barren land between the 2 locations.
" Who power washed Dylan’s truck that was parked and locked at his trailer?"

I keep coming back to that question. What makes the most sense to me is possibly a disgruntled ex-employee or co-worker.

Who would feel comfortable returning to that property other than someone very familiar with it, and someone who KNEW for a fact there was no one else there at that critical time.

I guess it's possible that a random transient, who was very brazen or reckless might do so. But would they bother?

It seems like someone connected to and known by the victim would be most likely to return the truck and clean it thoroughly because they'd want their fingerprints and DNA gone before leaving the truck behind. They know theirs would be checked quickly if they have a connection to the missing victim. JMO

I wonder if he has any ex coworkers or employees in the Nevada area that his family wants to search more thoroughly?

In this interview, CC states that although DR told his mother that he did NOT give the barefoot stranger a ride, she's since confirmed that her son did give the individual a ride to town.

I think there are still reports out there repeating the first version so now we know otherwise.
I wonder if he told his mom he didn't give the stranger a ride because he didn't want to worry her or disappoint her?

If his trailer and truck were found locked, that doesn't point to robbery.

His mother mentioned that blood was found on/near the boots. I wonder what came out of it?

In what scenario would he take off and leave his boots where they were found?

When was he meant to call grandma back on Saturday? Right away or later in the day?

If his phone last pinged Saturday afternoon in the farm area, what happened at that time? Could the police tell if it was turned off or the battery died?

Where did his two workers live? Did they see him on Saturday?

I live in the same town as EIN; not sure where they did the video with his Mom, they have done these videos before about missing person cases, Lori Vallow Daybell, Deorr Kuntz jr etc. I always feel that the way that Nate interviews people is done in a way to make it more dramatic somehow. In addition I was going to add that if that BLM land he has most likely leased it from them. I would like the know where the wash is at and if that video can be slowed down to show the tracks edit I slowed it down and watched trying to follow the tracks, cant really see much.
one more thing, I looked up the Elko sheriffs office statement yesterday and I cant figure out why the have not searched the area before now it doesnt seem like Elko has made a priority of this case at all and Elko is not a big place so I am perplexed by there lack of action.
all MOO

Last edited:
It seems like someone connected to and known by the victim would be most likely to return the truck and clean it thoroughly because they'd want their fingerprints and DNA gone before leaving the truck behind. They know theirs would be checked quickly if they have a connection to the missing victim. JMO ^^rsbm
I wonder if DR may have been run down and possibly hit by his own truck? I think this could account for why DR lost his boots from his feet and the perp later tossed them on the dirt heap. Would also explain washing the truck.

I wonder if DR may have been run down and possibly hit by his own truck? I think this could account for why DR lost his boots from his feet and the perp later tossed them on the dirt heap. Would also explain washing the truck.
In the video his Mom said it looked like the boots had only been out there a few days.

I enlarged the picture of his farm and I am wondering if the large tank in the lower left corner is a fuel tank or a water tank? I Cannot tell if its on his place or not. It seems huge to be a fuel tank, but then it is the middle of nowhere; that could have been motivation for a robbery.Screenshot 2022-06-10 2.18.44 PM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members