UT UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, wkg on farm, “weird run-in” with a guy walking on gravel rd, no phone & CC activity, Lucin, Box Elder Co, 25 May 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked up the Elko sheriffs office statement yesterday and I cant figure out why the have not searched the area before now it doesnt seem like Elko has made a priority of this case at all and Elko is not a big place so I am perplexed by there lack of action.
all MOO ^^rsbm

I completely understand Elko County Sheriff's position: the evidence shows DR was in Montello, NV, but safely returned to Lucin, UT.

DR did not go missing from Elko County.

There's no evidence of a crime in Elko County.

DR's phone last pinged from somewhere near his property located in Lucin, UT on Saturday afternoon. Lucin is in Box Elder County and the Elko County Sheriff is correct to defer to Box Elder County Sheriff.

This is also not a criminal investigation. However, if evidence surfaces that suggests DR was a victim of criminal violence and his body moved to Elko County, that would be a completely different matter. If this case turns from a missing person to a criminal investigation, other resources will also become available.

MOO

Last edited:
I wonder if he told his mom he didn't give the stranger a ride because he didn't want to worry her or disappoint her?
Yes, she said as much. i.e., Mom would start in on him about picking up drugged out dudes popping up out of the brush......

ETA: DR allegedly told several family and friends about an encounter he had with a barefoot guy, acting strangely, on a gravel road. The date was reported as happening on 5/25/22.

Last edited:
I enlarged the picture of his farm and I am wondering if the large tank in the lower left corner is a fuel tank or a water tank? I Cannot tell if its on his place or not. It seems huge to be a fuel tank, but then it is the middle of nowhere; that could have been motivation for a robbery.View attachment 348889
It’s probably a water tank. Or just an old tank they are using for storage. The motivation for robbery would most likely be money for drugs.

" Who power washed Dylan’s truck that was parked and locked at his trailer?"

I keep coming back to that question. What makes the most sense to me is possibly a disgruntled ex-employee or co-worker.

Who would feel comfortable returning to that property other than someone very familiar with it, and someone who KNEW for a fact there was no one else there at that critical time.

I guess it's possible that a random transient, who was very brazen or reckless might do so. But would they bother?

It seems like someone connected to and known by the victim would be most likely to return the truck and clean it thoroughly because they'd want their fingerprints and DNA gone before leaving the truck behind. They know theirs would be checked quickly if they have a connection to the missing victim. JMO

I wonder if he has any ex coworkers or employees in the Nevada area that his family wants to search more thoroughly?

I wonder if DR may have been run down and possibly hit by his own truck? I think this could account for why DR lost his boots from his feet and the perp later tossed them on the dirt heap. Would also explain washing the truck.
Good points, @katydid23 and @Seattle1. There are several things that have me perplexed. 1) Dylan’s mom, CC, felt that the grain truck was probably at their own farm and that Dylan drove it the 5 miles to the shed to get it out of the rain before his seeds got wet and then he would walk back to the trailer. Apparently this is a walk he made quite often. However, since the shed is the area where the boots were found and if Dylan was assaulted there, how does his truck come into play? A single person wouldn’t walk him back the 5 miles. Were there 2 people at the shed and they used their own vehicle to bring Dylan back to his trailer after they removed his boots, did something to him, used Dylan’s truck to dispose of him, drove back to the trailer, cleaned the truck and left? It makes no sense!
2) Dylan wouldn’t have been assaulted after he walked back from the trailer, because he didn’t walk 5 miles with no shoes. Plus, Dylan wouldn’t have washed his truck before he left because it was supposed to rain.
3) Maybe the grain truck was was parked near the shed, but not inside, so Dylan drove his pickup to the shed so he could move the grain truck inside before the rain started and was assaulted there. He could have had his boots removed for some unknown reason. Was the unknown barefoot stranger the perpetrator? Or did his assailant hear the story of the barefoot stranger from Dylan in the days leading up to his disappearance. Were they removed and left there as a red herring? Did the assailant want everyone looking for the barefoot stranger? After assaulting/killing Dylan, the assailant disposes of Dylan’s body using Dylan’s pickup, returns it to the farm and power washes it. This sounds like the pieces fit better except how did the assailant get to the shed originally? Then how did he leave after cleaning and locking Dylan’s truck?
4) Dylan is assaulted at his home after walking back from the shed. The assailant kills him, disposes of his body with Dylan’s truck, and dumps his boots near the shed as a red herring. He returns the truck to the trailer, washes it, locks it up and leaves? Had he left a vehicle at Dylan’s trailer? Or lives nearby?
Anyone else want to take a stab at it?

Good points, @katydid23 and @Seattle1. There are several things that have me perplexed. 1) Dylan’s mom, CC, felt that the grain truck was probably at their own farm and that Dylan drove it the 5 miles to the shed to get it out of the rain before his seeds got wet and then he would walk back to the trailer. Apparently this is a walk he made quite often. However, since the shed is the area where the boots were found and if Dylan was assaulted there, how does his truck come into play? A single person wouldn’t walk him back the 5 miles. Were there 2 people at the shed and they used their own vehicle to bring Dylan back to his trailer after they removed his boots, did something to him, used Dylan’s truck to dispose of him, drove back to the trailer, cleaned the truck and left? It makes no sense!
2) Dylan wouldn’t have been assaulted after he walked back from the trailer, because he didn’t walk 5 miles with no shoes. Plus, Dylan wouldn’t have washed his truck before he left because it was supposed to rain.
3) Maybe the grain truck was was parked near the shed, but not inside, so Dylan drove his pickup to the shed so he could move the grain truck inside before the rain started and was assaulted there. He could have had his boots removed for some unknown reason. Was the unknown barefoot stranger the perpetrator? Or did his assailant hear the story of the barefoot stranger from Dylan in the days leading up to his disappearance. Were they removed and left there as a red herring? Did the assailant want everyone looking for the barefoot stranger? After assaulting/killing Dylan, the assailant disposes of Dylan’s body using Dylan’s pickup, returns it to the farm and power washes it. This sounds like the pieces fit better except how did the assailant get to the shed originally? Then how did he leave after cleaning and locking Dylan’s truck?
4) Dylan is assaulted at his home after walking back from the shed. The assailant kills him, disposes of his body with Dylan’s truck, and dumps his boots near the shed as a red herring. He returns the truck to the trailer, washes it, locks it up and leaves? Had he left a vehicle at Dylan’s trailer? Or lives nearby?
I just feel like all of the possible 'foul play' scenarios have glaring problems. That's not to say foul play isn't a possibility, and I'm certainly not discounting it as a possibility, but I am leaning more towards self-harm (his pistol is missing; he is in the typical age range for a mental break/some sort of episode) or voluntary disappearance. MOO.

I keep thinking about the grain truck...Dylan supposedly around 7:30am after speaking with his grandma needs to move the grain truck before the rain starts so his seed doesn't get wet. Mom indicates there were deep "ruts / tracks" that shouldn't be there, however, because it hadn't rained enough and/or started to rain. The seed was important to Dylan, so family says he wouldn't have purposely delayed moving the truck into the shed.

If indeed he drove the grain truck (it was close to his trailer) or his own pick-up to the shed because the grain truck was parked there, there's a large window of time from approx. 7:30am to 3:40pm when his phone last pinged. It started to rain harder as the morning / day went on, so I can't imagine there was much work Dylan could have done beyond moving the grain truck. With the last phone ping and his boots in the work / farm area, leaning that Dylan never made back to his trailer. And if indeed foul play is to blame, which I believe is the case, was it premeditated or did an argument or altercation get out of hand.

Last edited:
I can’t get past what I’m sure is a coincidence but does anyone else feel weird about the fact that Dylan encountered a barefoot guy and Dylan’s boots were found? I mean I don’t believe someone did harm to Dylan just for his boots (tho people have done worse for less) because then why leave the boots? This is so convoluted. And if Dylan was seen in town on the 26th and not the 27th, I guess it doesn’t matter bc he spoke with his grandmother on the 28th.

This is going to sound really out there, but could someone have “fooled“ grandmother by using Dylan’s phone? Did she call Dylan that morning or did he call her? Random I know. I don’t know what to think.
All MOO!

I enlarged the picture of his farm and I am wondering if the large tank in the lower left corner is a fuel tank or a water tank? I Cannot tell if its on his place or not. It seems huge to be a fuel tank, but then it is the middle of nowhere; that could have been motivation for a robbery.

I asked my husband for an educated guess and he thought it looked like a fuel tank. He might be wrong though. I do hope someone checks inside that tank while they're searching.

1654901166481.png

Kind of like these:

1654901351965.png

Last edited:
Or did his assailant hear the story of the barefoot stranger from Dylan in the days leading up to his disappearance. Were they removed and left there as a red herring? Did the assailant want everyone looking for the barefoot stranger?
^^rsbm

I'm definitely under the impression that Dylan told several persons about his encounter with the barefoot dude coming out of seemingly nowhere....

But I think we have to ask how many people heard the truth (i.e., DR gives him a ride), and how many heard the safe version that he told his mom where he refused to give the stranger a ride.

If the perp was only aware of the version as told by DR to his mother, CC, then leaving DRs boots behind might seem more of a symbolic gesture.

From listening to CC, IMO, upon the sight of DRs discarded boots near the shop and grain truck, denying a shoeless stranger a ride, was one of CC's first thoughts, and retaliation by the stranger was second.

But knowing DR did not refuse the barefoot guy, I think that knocks him down a peg, (if not off the ladder).

So going back to my tried and true, I suggest we first, follow the money, and a love relationship, second.

As to money, and absolutely no intention to discount DRs demonstrated sweat equity here, I can't dismiss the idea that disappearing DR could be the act of an enemy of the family including CC, JS, or even grandpa? A business deal gone bad? Did a romantic relationship go bad (CC made a reference to her new husband)?

Instinct has me leaning towards local involvement most likely looking for a cash grab for drugs (before the holiday weekend). Or did the holiday weekend bring in fresh eyes with new ideas? MOO

I just feel like all of the possible 'foul play' scenarios have glaring problems. That's not to say foul play isn't a possibility, and I'm certainly not discounting it as a possibility, but I am leaning more towards self-harm (his pistol is missing; he is in the typical age range for a mental break/some sort of episode) or voluntary disappearance. MOO.
Agree, am feeling - and hoping - it is a case of voluntary disappearance. The barefoot guy story versus the abandoned boots almost waiting to be found seems to be too much of a coincidence.

And agree with those posters who have commented on how he would have stuck with such a seemingly isolated lifestyle for so long.

This is going to sound really out there, but could someone have “fooled“ grandmother by using Dylan’s phone? Did she call Dylan that morning or did he call her? Random I know. I don’t know what to think. ^^bbm
^^rsbm

@Limecat-- not random at all. While I don't think a conversation about keeping the seed dry could be faked, I do agree it was extremely important to confirm DRs location when that phone call with grandmother was made-- especially knowing that was DRs last known communication before he vanished. For example, if phone records showed DRs location in Montello around 7AM when his last phone conversation took place, that would open the door to more even questions--now including suspicious behavior of DR such as implying to his grandmother he was at a location different than the actual. MOO

^^rsbm

Instinct has me leaning towards local involvement most likely looking for a cash grab for drugs (before the holiday weekend). Or did the holiday weekend bring in fresh eyes with new ideas? MOO
I think someone local or someone who knew Dylan is likely...but since no known money was taken I'm not sure about cash for drugs imo. If indeed the person/s responsible power-washed the truck, hid Dylan's body, etc...they had some sort of an elaborate plan.

BBM
"Within the first hour and a half, they found his boots. From where his grain truck was parked, his boots were about 100 yards south behind a pile of dirt just casually tossed out," Cooley says. "He was very particular about his boots. He wears a pair, and it's always the same pair. When they wear out, he goes and buys exactly the same boots."
This might be a silly question, but was the dirt pile searched?

And agree with those posters who have commented on how he would have stuck with such a seemingly isolated lifestyle for so long.
^^rsbm

I disagree with this being an isolated lifestyle for so long. To be clear, DR has never lived in Lucin all year long. Earlier posts of DR dropping out of school at 16, and being married to the property ever since were pure speculation without any basis.

DR reportedly only spent summer to the end of the growing season in Lucin and he would return to Idaho where he lived with both parents but primarily with his dad who also farmed. Please reference CC's recent video interviews with YT creator and East Idaho News.

Last edited:
I think someone local or someone who knew Dylan is likely...but since no known money was taken I'm not sure about cash for drugs imo. If indeed the person/s responsible power-washed the truck, hid Dylan's body, etc...they had some sort of an elaborate plan.
^bbm

I'm sorry if my post was unclear. A shop, or shed, with tools and/or farm implements is a goldmine for thieves.

DR could have easily surprised somebody including a transient that took cover there overnight. MOO

^^rsbm

I disagree with this being an isolated lifestyle for so long. To be clear, DR has never lived in Lucin all year long. Earlier posts of DR dropping out of school at 16, and being married to the property ever since were pure speculation without any basis.

DR reportedly only spent summer to the end of the growing season in Lucin and he would return to Idaho where he lived with both parents but primarily with his dad who also farmed. Please reference CC's recent interviews with YT creator and East Idaho News.
Even so, he may feel stressed or overwhelmed by the prospect on spending all his time out there alone, similar to how some college students have a hard time adjusting to their new life. I definitely don’t think we can discount how much his recent transition to living and working on the farm full-time could have taken a toll on him—as other posters mentioned earlier, he is taking on a lot of responsibility at a relatively young age, which is commendable but can most certainly be very stressful.

^bbm

I'm sorry if my post was unclear. A shop, or shed, with tools and/or farm implements is a goldmine for thieves.

DR could have easily surprised somebody including a transient that took cover there overnight. MOO
Thanks for the clarification. Your suggestion that it may have been a "robbery" gone bad or even Dylan startling a transient who was taking shelter in the shed got me thinking. If it was someone who had no ties to the farm, community, etc. I would think they would just flee after harming Dylan, but if they felt they could somehow be connected, they would take the time to cover their tracks.

deleted by me

Attachments

• 1654831447224.png
    1654831447224.png
    600.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online