UT UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, wkg on farm, “weird run-in” with a guy walking on gravel rd, no phone & CC activity, Lucin, Box Elder Co, 25 May 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Dylan didn’t disappear voluntarily, I am becoming convinced that whatever happened happened in the area of the grain shed where his boots were found. We have two possible clues right now; the boots and the clean, locked truck with the seat and drive in the wrong positions. Unfortunately, these clues are 5 miles apart from each other. What scenario would make them fit?
1) I wonder if Dylan had a farm hand, (or other associate/friend/neighbor), follow him in his truck to the grain shed while he drove the grain truck so he wouldn’t have to walk back 5 miles in the rain? Did they end up in a disagreement and Dylan ended up dead? Why/how were Dylan’s boots removed? This unknown person then disposed of Dylan’s body, drove back to the trailer, washed and locked the pickup, and left in whatever manner he had arrived in the first place. This person, if he exists, had all day and night to dispose of Dylan’s body. We know Dylan last spoke to hi gma at 6:51 am. LE tells us that the last ping was at 3:41 pm somewhere near the farm. Does LE have a bunch of other pings that day? What cell tower did they bounce off of?
2) If someone accosted Dylan while he was storing the grain truck and somehow removed his boots in the process, how does the pickup truck come into play? You wouldn’t walk 5 miles with him. If you had your own truck at the shed, you could conceivably drive him back to the trailer, dead or alive, and then dispose of him using Dylan’s p/u. But why would you do that? If you kill someone, you want to dispose of the body as quickly as possible, not drive a dead man’s truck, with a dead man’s body while you leave your own vehicle at the dead man’s farm.
3) Was there a second person at the shed who drove them back to the trailer? Why? If so, why would they wash Dylan’s truck?
4) If Dylan was accosted after he walked back to his trailer from the shed, why are his boots at the shed?
Mom said he often walked the miles between his trailer/farmland to the shed area. She said he wouldn’t walk the roads, but would take a shortcut through the barren land. Given the searches to date, Dylan’s family thought that this area had been thoroughly covered and is why they pressed ECSO for more searches on the NV side of the area.
Looking at the map, it’s pretty easy to figure out where he probably left the road to cut across to his farm from the shed.

Number one works the best for me:

1) I wonder if Dylan had a farm hand, (or other associate/friend/neighbor), follow him in his truck to the grain shed while he drove the grain truck so he wouldn’t have to walk back 5 miles in the rain? Did they end up in a disagreement and Dylan ended up dead? Why/how were Dylan’s boots removed? This unknown person then disposed of Dylan’s body, drove back to the trailer, washed and locked the pickup, and left in whatever manner he had arrived in the first place. This person, if he exists, had all day and night to dispose of Dylan’s body. We know Dylan last spoke to hi gma at 6:51 am. LE tells us that the last ping was at 3:41 pm somewhere near the farm. Does LE have a bunch of other pings that day? What cell tower did they bounce off of?

This scenario of a friend/neighbor makes the most sense, with the truck being returned, washed and locked. A random attacker probably wouldn't do that. It had to be someone who was certain no one else was at the home and someone who felt comfortable staying there for awhile longer.

Also, it seems more likely that for someone to get that close to him, it would have to be someone he wasn't worried about. I don't think anyone could sneak up on him that easily. The surrounding area is so flat and clear. And he has his gun with him, most likely. CC said his finger was on the trigger with the first incident with the stranger with no shoes.

Why/how were Dylan’s boots removed?

If he was with a friend there, who had come to give him a ride, maybe DR had been sitting and waiting for him---took off his boots briefly to dry his feet, clean mud off boots? Or maybe the friend didnt want him to get in with muddy wet boots?

Before they returned to the trailer, they got into a fight that went sideways?

Last edited:
If Dylan didn’t disappear voluntarily, I am becoming convinced that whatever happened happened in the area of the grain shed where his boots were found. We have two possible clues right now; the boots and the clean, locked truck with the seat and drive in the wrong positions. Unfortunately, these clues are 5 miles apart from each other. What scenario would make them fit?
1) I wonder if Dylan had a farm hand, (or other associate/friend/neighbor), follow him in his truck to the grain shed while he drove the grain truck so he wouldn’t have to walk back 5 miles in the rain? Did they end up in a disagreement and Dylan ended up dead? Why/how were Dylan’s boots removed? This unknown person then disposed of Dylan’s body, drove back to the trailer, washed and locked the pickup, and left in whatever manner he had arrived in the first place. This person, if he exists, had all day and night to dispose of Dylan’s body. 9 We know Dylan last spoke to hi gma at 6:51 am. LE tells us that the last ping was at 3:41 pm somewhere near the farm. Does LE have a bunch of other pings that day? What cell tower did they bounce off of?
2) If someone accosted Dylan while he was storing the grain truck and somehow removed his boots in the process, how does the pickup truck come into play? You wouldn’t walk 5 miles with him. If you had your own truck at the shed, you could conceivably drive him back to the trailer, dead or alive, and then dispose of him using Dylan’s p/u. But why would you do that? If you kill someone, you want to dispose of the body as quickly as possible, not drive a dead man’s truck, with a dead man’s body while you leave your own vehicle at the dead man’s farm.
3) Was there a second person at the shed who drove them back to the trailer? Why? If so, why would they wash Dylan’s truck?
4) If Dylan was accosted after he walked back to his trailer from the shed, why are his boots at the shed?
Mom said he often walked the miles between his trailer/farmland to the shed area. She said he wouldn’t walk the roads, but would take a shortcut through the barren land. Given the searches to date, Dylan’s family thought that this area had been thoroughly covered and is why they pressed ECSO for more searches on the NV side of the area.
Looking at the map, it’s pretty easy to figure out where he probably left the road to cut across to his farm from the shed.
What a thoughtful hypothesis! It has me thinking. I wonder if the farm hand that lives in the camper near the parked seed truck...... Um... Saw anything.

Last edited:
I’ve stated before that I would like to know the heights of his farm hands. The seat was moved up so much that CC could easily reach the pedals at 4’11. The only other explanation I can think of is if someone moved the seat up to better reach something under the seat reaching in from the back. Sometimes I have to move my seat up if something has moved too far under the seat.

I’d also be interested to know if the farm hands were aware that the 4 wheel drive was out on his truck. Not trying to target the farm hands, but at this point, just trying to cross people off the very short list we have.

I believe this was mentioned briefly earlier, but I wanted to expound upon what is, in my opinion, a real possibility to be considered: accidental death from falling into an abandoned mine shaft.

Utah has at least 17,000 mine openings (which state officials admit is likely an undercount as they don't have enough funds to do a full state-wide survey) that have not been closed (an additional 5,000 mines have been sealed off). Since 1983, 11 people have died and 42 people have been injured in abandoned mines in Utah alone.

At its peak, there were more than 400 mining claims were staked out between Ben Lomond Peak and Collinston in northern Box Elder County. Lucin itself was its own mining district that was also conveniently located near the only railhead in the area.

While the veins in the Lucin area lacked the gold that was characteristic of the Western mining boom in the mid-late 19th and early 20th century, they were flush with less-glamorous but equally-lucrative minerals like copper and iron. Lucin's minerals were first discovered in 1868, and by 1872, the Lucin mining district was established to organize all of the new mines being established in the area. Below is a map of Lucin mining claims:

View attachment 349925
View attachment 349926

The Copper Mountain fault zone is a mineralized fault zone at the top of Copper Mountain that is more than 1,000 feet wide and intersects with many other mineralized faults. The Lucin Copper Company operated a profitable copper and iron ore mine on this fault, shipping out 130 to 150 tons of copper ore per day, although work was occasionally stopped due to strikes. The Lucin Copper Company also owned 25 claims in the Lucin district aside from the mine atop Copper Mountain.

The Tecoma mine, also located in Lucin, was extremely active and profitable. It was sold in 1871 for $125,000 in gold coins, equivalent to $2.9 million in today's money. There were dozens, if not hundreds, of other mines operating in the Lucin area during its peak. Mines frequently changed hands, either being sold to individual owners or large mining conglomerates (there were 15 of them operating in Lucin alone by 1910), as evidenced by the multitude of notices published in area papers.

The Salt Lake Company, organized by mining tycoons and engineers from Butte, MT, purchased large tracks of mines adjoining the old Lewissohn mines in Lucin in 1907. The Salt Lake mine was massive: it had an open cut 100 feet wide, 200 feet long, with a back wall of 80 feet containing nothing but copper ore. The company also had many other mines on its 500-acre claim, including "a tunnel and workings to the extent of about 1,200 feet."

Unfortunately, due to a lack of state funding and sheer number of abandoned mines in the state, there is not a comprehensive list of abandoned mines and their locations, which means there is always a possibility of stumbling across one unexpectedly.

Sources

Donald McCoy Blue, "Geology and Ore Deposits of the Lucin Mining District, Box Elder County, Utah, and Elko County, Nevada," M.S. thesis, University of Utah, 1960.

Faye Farnsworth Tholen, "Vipont, Utah: A Lost and Almost Forgotten Ghost Town," Utah Historical Quarterly 71, no. 3 (2003).

Janelle Hyatt, "Claims to fame: New exhibit looks at mining industry in Box Elder County," Standard-Examiner, 15 July 2012.

John Hollenhorst, "Nevada mining death serves as reminder of danger in Utah’s 17,000 mine openings," Deseret News, 8 March 2011.

"Big Strike in Lucin Copper Mine Reported," Salt Lake Telegram, 13 March 1918, 6.

"Sale of a Mine," Corinne Daily Reporter, 3 October 1871, 3.

Lucin Copper Mines Co. advertisement, Butte Miner, 17 June 1907, 8.

Notice of sale of the Jennie Ledge Mine, Ogden Junction, 3 June 1874, 6.

"Butte Men Get Copper in Utah: Northern Engineers Snap Up Property Adjoining Old Lewissohn Mines," Salt Lake Herald, 3 June 1907.
Nice work on the mine research, i enjoyed reading your post! But in my opinion, if Dylan is in a mine, it's not going to be an accident of his own making.

Nice work on the mine research, i enjoyed reading your post! But in my opinion, if Dylan is in a mine, it's not going to be an accident of his own making.
That's definitely also a possibility. Abandoned mine shafts have been used to dispose of bodies in Utah before. In 2017, 18-year-old Riley Powell and 17-year-old Brelynne "Breezy" Otteson were stabbed to death and then thrown down the Tintic Standard Mine in Juab County.

If there is foul play involved, DR's body may have been placed in the bed of the truck when moving him. Depending on how bad the injuries were then I imagine there was body fluids leaking. Which to me, would explain power washing the bed and back wheel wells. Whoever it was wanted to make sure that all the nooks and crannies on the back of the vehicle had been cleaned of any potential evidence. JMO. I hope LE has a better grasp on the facts than the rest of us bc even after reading this thread through I'm still confused on what is fact and what is not. I also hope that DR is just living his life somewhere fun for a while. The only thing that makes me think that isn't the case if the fact he hasn't contacted anyone. There are ways to let your family and friends know you are ok without giving away your location if you don't want to be found.

If you review the video of Dylan’s Ford pickup, you’ll notice the outside of the tailgate was not pressure washed nor was the rear bumper area. This is the classic pattern when you wash out the truck bed. There typically are drain holes in a truck bed too that may contain forensic evidence.

If you review the video of Dylan’s Ford pickup, you’ll notice the outside of the tailgate was not pressure washed nor was the rear bumper area. This is the classic pattern when you wash out the truck bed. There typically are drain holes in a truck bed too that may contain forensic evidence.
And in one of the interviews with Dylan’s mom she said only the back wheel wells were washed not the front. I think this would be consistent with focusing on the bed/back of the truck (if it were purely for the disposal of evidence). MOO

That's definitely also a possibility. Abandoned mine shafts have been used to dispose of bodies in Utah before. In 2017, 18-year-old Riley Powell and 17-year-old Brelynne "Breezy" Otteson were stabbed to death and then thrown down the Tintic Standard Mine in Juab County.
And another, I'll never forget this case. It was nothing short of a miracle they were able to find Erin's body.
GUILTY - CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #14

OK just heard about this story and this is my current take of what might have happened.

The boots thing. Is it possible that the "barefoot" guy somehow got the jump on DR and got the gun? Tried the boots on and they didn't fit so he tossed them. I'm thinking a guy walking around in bare feet, no car, possible meth head, isn't that bright to begin with. So boots easily found. Could be a crazy theory.

Takes truck to dispose of evidence, washes it out quick. I can't explain the seat forward thing but not knowing about the 4wd issue, suspect tries to use it anyway. Also doesn't realize DR doesn't lock truck so does it thinking maybe that's a typical habit. This is assuming DR drove truck to shed location to pull grain truck in from coming rain OR he gets jumped at camper and is forced, or driven to, grain truck location in pickup.

Perhaps suspect is there when Grandmother call comes and that's the REAL reason DR cuts her short with the grain truck story but never calls back. Maybe suspect hears his grain truck story and after DR hangs up, he says "Take me to grain truck location". This is where things go bad. Phone pings later when truck is returned to camp and washed. If I got timeline right, all this could happen between early morning call and 3 pm ping. Lot of time there.

As for cell pings, it's spotty. One tower in remote area that the phone hits and I read it was on the very outside of tower range. You need two, or even better, three towers to get really accurate triangulation. Just a possible theory if I got time line correct. Feel free to blow holes in this theory. I'm just trying to put puzzle pieces together. I hope I'm wrong and this young man is found safe and sound.

Hi Ricko87. Welcome to WS! Personally I don’t think the strange barefoot guy had anything to do with Dylan’s disappearance. It sounds like that story was just a lie. I do think his truck was used to dispose of Dylan after whatever happened, happened - and it was returned to camp and washed.

IMO There are some shady characters in Dylan’s life and a lot of info. that hasn’t been released to the public.

Hi Ricko87. Welcome to WS! Personally I don’t think the strange barefoot guy had anything to do with Dylan’s disappearance. It sounds like that story was just a lie. I do think his truck was used to dispose of Dylan after whatever happened, happened - and it was returned to camp and washed.

IMO There are some shady characters in Dylan’s life and a lot of info. that hasn’t been released to the public.
I agree. And I trust that LE has far more information than we do and that they are thoroughly investigating all of the information that they have. I also think that the information LE has is probably different from what information the family has access to/chooses to share with the public, which is why I am personally putting the most weight into LE's statements and not treating what the family says as the gospel truth. MOO.

Agree. I think he got in a fracas at the bar or just outside it. Maybe he owed someone money. I think the bar should be the focus.

Amateur opinion and speculation

The part about the seat being moved, I think it was either moved forward to throw them off from knowing height or they possibly dropped something between/under the seat. I have dropped things many times and will move my driver seat really far forward before I open the back door to look under the seat.
MOO and probably completely wrong...

I'm not sure how to ask this politely, and I mean no disrespect to anybody, but...did Dylan have a personal life? Like somebody he was dating?
That’s a great question, though it seems to be an area the family does not want to discuss with the public. It could be relevant to his disappearance.

The part about the seat being moved, I think it was either moved forward to throw them off from knowing height or they possibly dropped something between/under the seat. I have dropped things many times and will move my driver seat really far forward before I open the back door to look under the seat.
MOO and probably completely wrong...
I agree. They could have moved the seat just checking to see if any evidence was left behind. Or looking for his gun or cell phone.

I'm not sure how to ask this politely, and I mean no disrespect to anybody, but...did Dylan have a personal life? Like somebody he was dating?

The direct answer is DR not dating that has been confirmed.

CC started out with an absolute NO, that DR did not date, and days later softened that she's since learned he communicated with more girls (while in school) than she was aware of.

There's also no confirmation that DR was dating the same sex. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member