Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ethan Stacy to be buried Wednesday in Virgina
Updated: 05/17/2010 04:09:51 PM MDT

Joe Stacy will lay his 4-year-old son, Ethan, to rest Wednesday in the small mountain town where he wanted to boy to grow up.

Ethan will be buried in Richlands, Va., less than three weeks after he arrived in Utah to spend the summer with his mother, Stephanie Sloop, who along with her new husband is a suspect in the boy's death.

A public service will be Tuesday at the Grundy Funeral Home in Grundy, Va., with a funeral to follow Wednesday. He will be buried in Clinch Valley Memorial Cemetery in Richlands.

Ethan had been in Utah for one week when, police say, on May 5 Nathan Sloop severely beat the child on the head and face.

http://www.sltrib.com/D=g/ci_15104195

Funeral plans set for Ethan Stacy
May 17th, 2010 @ 4:18pm

Meanwhile, organizers are putting together a "Walk for Justice for Ethan Stacy." The event, a 10.5-mile, one-way jaunt from the Big Lots behind the Layton Hills Mall to the Davis County Jail in Farmington, is set for Saturday.

"People here want justice served," Lucinda Martin of Harrisville told KSL NewsRadio Monday. "It's not a protest at all, it's just a show of support for his family and his loved ones."

snip

Already dozens of people have committed on Facebook to attending the event. Organizers expect potentially dozens to hundreds more.

It's part of a larger groundswell of online support for the boy. The "Justice for Ethan Stacy" Facebook group was approaching 47,000 members Monday afternoon.

Participants of the walk are asked to wear white shirts and to be prepared with warmer clothing in case it rains. Walking back is optional. Martin says some may choose to ride FrontRunner on the return trip to Layton, since a UTA station is nearby in Farmington.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=10809149

Dammit I wish there was more I could for this baby than post news stories :(

Ethan Stacy Burial Planned
Last Update: 3:39 pm

Earlier, ABC4 spoke with Ethan's paternal grandmother, Peggy Jo Akers, who describes her family's heartbreak, "it's just unreal, it's been the longest week of our lives." Akers went on to say that her son was simply devastated and that he was leaning on family and his church for support, "he's unable to talk right now, he's really struggling," Akers told ABC4.

We asked though about the 4-year-old that few people knew but thousands have expressed their sentiments about in the past week. Akers told us that Ethan loved cartoons, transformers and spending time with his father and that the boy would surely be missed.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/to...cy-Burial-Planned/2SdoumSXvky0EOosD3T7aA.cspx

Ethan Stacy case could be first test for Shelby's Law
May 17, 2010

Davis County prosecutors began going over evidence today in the case against Nathanael and Stephanie Sloop, accused of killing 4-year-old Ethan Stacy. Sources close to the investigation tell Fox 13 the medical examiner is conducing tests on tissue samples taken from Ethan Stacy's body. The FBI is also involved, conducting forensic tests on cell phones and other electronics.

Prosecutors are considering leveling aggravated murder charges against the Sloops. They would bring them under "Shelby's Law," which made child abuse that leads to death, a potential death penalty crime. It was prompted by the murder of 10-year-old Shelby Andrews in 2006. Police said Shelby was abused so badly, she eventually died inside the Syracuse home of her father and stepmother. Shelby's biological mother, Kim Hale, said she was tortured.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-ethan-stacy-shelbys-law,0,6108852.story

Police staff find ways to cope with Ethan Stacy case

Last Edit: May 17 2010 - 4:12pm

LAYTON -- One week ago, officers from Layton and Weber County dug up the body of 4-year-old Ethan Stacy.

Critical incident stress debriefing sessions will be held later this week to help officers, investigators, dispatchers and other police staff cope with what they saw and heard during the search and investigation, officials said.

Layton police Lt. Garret Atkin said the death of Ethan Stacy has been difficult on officers, dispatchers and the support staff at the department.

http://www.standard.net/topics/ethan-stacy/2010/05/17/police-staff-find-ways-cope-ethan-stacy-case

will we ever know what Ethan did that was so terrible that he had to be disciplined lkie that? What was it....something had to have happened..although I am sure it was nothing that warranted ANY TYPE of discipline. This guy was looking for a reason to beat this child..IMO. So, what did Ethan do? Spill his drink?...not say yes sir yea maam? I want to know...

The interview that NS mom gave about him taking up for the underdog because he was one makes me ill. This is not an underdog. He is a bully and an abuser...it was a matter of time before NS killed someone..MOO

I was referring to what SS called it. She said that NS was disciplining Ethan. Never would I EVER think that what happened to that precious little boy was discipline. Nor do I think he did ANYTHING to be dsiciplined except not want to be there and to be home with his daddy. Please forgive me if I offended you. I have been so upset over this whole story and now.....I remember why I don't post.

:banghead:

This isn't directed at me but I read your original post, I never thought for a second when I read your post that you thought it was appropriate to discipline like that. I think your post was just misunderstood, or not totally read. Please keep on posting.

I was referring to what SS called it. She said that NS was disciplining Ethan. Never would I EVER think that what happened to that precious little boy was discipline. Nor do I think he did ANYTHING to be dsiciplined except not want to be there and to be home with his daddy. Please forgive me if I offended you. I have been so upset over this whole story and now.....I remember why I don't post.

:banghead:

In addition to your comments. Nathan never had any business disciplining Ethan to begin with. He was no more to that child than a stranger. It was Stephanies job to discipline Ethan and the only business Nathan had was to reinforce what Stephanie requested by firmly stating to Ethan Listen to your mother.

Stephanie KNEW what provoked Nathan. Knew the look on his face or his demeanor when it happened and I have NO doubt she knew he was provoked when she allowed him to go into the room and CLOSE THE DOOR. Who the freak would allow someone to take their child into a room to discipline them and CLOSE THE DOOR? Right away him closing the door should have been a HUGE red flag. He closed the door because he wanted to HIDE his temper from Stephanie. :furious:

These two still steam me. The trial won't come soon enough. I know we have to be patient, but either the trial or guilty plea's from both won't come soon enough.

Does anyone think they will plead guilty if offered a plea to save their lives?

In addition to your comments. Nathan never had any business disciplining Ethan to begin with. He was no more to that child than a stranger. It was Stephanies job to discipline Ethan and the only business Nathan had was to reinforce what Stephanie requested by firmly stating to Ethan Listen to your mother.

Stephanie KNEW what provoked Nathan. Knew the look on his face or his demeanor when it happened and I have NO doubt she knew he was provoked when she allowed him to go into the room and CLOSE THE DOOR. Who the freak would allow someone to take their child into a room to discipline them and CLOSE THE DOOR? Right away him closing the door should have been a HUGE red flag. He closed the door because he wanted to HIDE his temper from Stephanie. :furious:

These two still steam me. The trial won't come soon enough. I know we have to be patient, but either the trial or guilty plea's from both won't come soon enough.

No doubt they will both be pointing the finger at each other to try to get a deal.

I think they are both equally responsible so I don't think the SA's office is looking for a who done it. I think they will both be offered death or plea guilty and we will spare you the DP. I don't think they will be offered any more than that.

jmo

I think they are both equally responsible so I don't think the SA's office is looking for a who done it. I think they will both be offered death or plea guilty and we will spare you the DP. I don't think they will be offered any more than that.

jmo

I hope they do not get offered any plea deal and get the DP.

The GBMI verdict assumes treatment will be part of the prison term, right? Can this verdict be given to a psychopath where no treatment has ever been found to be effective? TIA MOO

Also, can the jury give the GBMI verdict along with the death penalty? And if so, why give a mentally ill person tx only to put him/her to death. I find that confusing and would appreciate any input you may have. TIA

I think this answers our questions. Although I also wonder why you would give someone tx just to put them to death. I'll have to look and see if there are any cases like this or if it is completely left field.

As of 2002:

The authors reviewed the statutes governing sentencing of GBMI convicts in the 14 states permitting the verdict. No state requires mitigation of sentence as a result of a verdict of GBMI, and such a verdict does not prevent even the death penalty.

http://www.jaapl.org/cgi/reprint/30/4/553.pdf

I am still wondering if we won't find out that maybe SS started the abuse and NS took it a step further and further and further until he died. I believe there were calls from her to JS complaining about Ethan's behavior...she was the one complaining. I don't know where I read it but I did see it somewhere yesterday.

ITA NS had no right to ever lay a hand on Ethan. Ever.
I could see them pleading guilty to avoid the needle.....they are cowards...proved by beating and killing a defenseless little boy.

This isn't directed at me but I read your original post, I never thought for a second when I read your post that you thought it was appropriate to discipline like that. I think your post was just misunderstood, or not totally read. Please keep on posting.

Thank you RR I needed that! I have to remember that I am not well known on here and it is hard to HEAR sarcasm in written words. Just caught me a little off guard as I was crying so hard last night reading the threads on Ethan....poor little one! Made me feel like some people felt like I identified with SS and Ns...made me nauseous....still does.

I hope they do not get offered any plea deal and get the DP.

I'm willing to give up the DP IF and only if they both plead guilty and get LWOP. Reason being with both of them in the GP they'll have a good 40-50 or so years of wishing they were dead.

I think these two would throw each other and anyone else under the bus to save themselves. I also think that this prosecutor is incredibly good, and that if the evidence continues to roll in, the prosecution will not give the opportunity for a plea. If they can prove their case, I don't think that would be an option afforded these two unbelievably cold and cruel idiots. I really hope that I'm right :eek:)

BBM

The diary of pictures Stephanie took of Ethan's abuse, torture, burning, and crushing, should be enough to send her right to the chair. moo

I can't fathom what defense Stephanie will use - IMO she would be smart to plea down to a 'guilty' charge. Can't imagine she would refuse the plea if offered. moo

Seems to me Nate would be happy to plea down to a guilty charge in exchange for life with no parole. The pictures of Ethan, as mentioned above, would sicken the jury and send him right to the chair. moo

Hard to imagine Nate wanting to drag his entire family history before the world. DID usually develops as a defense to severe childhood abuse - the guilty but mentally ill defense (GBMI) would require a tell all on the part of his defense team. He needs to worry if the jury understands his defense. Needs to be concerned if his defense team has garnered enough sympathy from the jurors for a GBMI verdict. A huge risk. moo

Disclaimer: I am not a death penalty advocate. Life with NO parole would be acceptable - and I think far more painful than a quick death. moo

[/I][/B]

BBM

The diary of pictures Stephanie took of Ethan's abuse, torture, burning, and crushing, should be enough to send her right to the chair. moo

I can't fathom what defense Stephanie will use - IMO she would be smart to plea down to a 'guilty' charge. Can't imagine she would refuse the plea if offered. moo

Seems to me Nate would be happy to plea down to a guilty charge in exchange for life with no parole. The pictures of Ethan, as mentioned above, would sicken the jury and send him right to the chair. moo

Hard to imagine Nate wanting to drag his entire family history before the world. DID usually develops as a defense to severe childhood abuse - the guilty but mentally ill defense (GBMI) would require a tell all on the part of his defense team. He needs to worry if the jury understands his defense. Needs to be concerned if his defense team has garnered enough sympathy from the jurors for a GBMI verdict. A huge risk. moo

Disclaimer: I am not a death penalty advocate. Life with NO parole would be acceptable - and I think far more painful than a quick death. moo

Can you point me to the diary of pictures that she took? I saw the awful one sitting next to that thing. I must of missed something. I agree death is just too easy. TIA

I think this answers our questions. Although I also wonder why you would give someone tx just to put them to death. I'll have to look and see if there are any cases like this or if it is completely left field.

I did look and was unable to find DP cases that were GBMI. Everything I pulled up under tx was about the insanity defense or restoring back to competency. Thanks for looking. :blowkiss:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member