UT - Ethan Stacy, 4, Layton, 10 May 2010 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anaphylaxis is a life-threatening type of allergic reaction.

Symptoms
Symptoms develop rapidly, often within seconds or minutes. They may include the following:

Abdominal pain or cramping
Abnormal (high-pitched) breathing sounds
Anxiety
Confusion
Cough
Diarrhea
Difficulty breathing
Fainting, light-headedness, dizziness
Hives, itchiness
Nasal congestion
Nausea, vomiting
Sensation of feeling the heart beat (palpitations)
Skin redness
Slurred speech
Wheezing

Treatment
Anaphylaxis is an emergency condition requiring immediate professional medical attention. Call 911 immediately.

Check the ABCs (airway, breathing, and circulation from Basic Life Support) in all suspected anaphylactic reactions.

CPR should be started, if needed. People with known severe allergic reactions may carry an Epi-Pen or other allergy kit, and should be helped if necessary.

Paramedics or physicians may place a tube through the nose or mouth into the airways (endotracheal intubation) or perform emergency surgery to place a tube directly into the trachea (tracheostomy or cricothyrotomy).

Epinephrine should be given by injection in the thigh muscle right away. This opens the airways and raises the blood pressure by tightening blood vessels.

Treatment for shock includes fluids through a vein (intravenous) and medications that support the actions of the heart and circulatory system.

The person may receive antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine, and corticosteroids, such as prednisone, to further reduce symptoms (after lifesaving measures and epinephrine are administered).

Causes
Anaphylaxis is an severe, whole-body allergic reaction. After being exposed to a substance like bee sting venom, the person's immune system becomes sensitized to that allergen. On a later exposure, an allergic reaction may occur. This reaction is sudden, severe, and involves the whole body.
Tissues in different parts of the body release histamine and other substances. This causes the airways to tighten and leads to other symptoms

https://health.google.com/health/ref/Anaphylaxis

Gotcha. Thanks for your patience in addressing that question again. :)

I suspected he'd "guard" his face. I wonder if SS really did trim Ethan's nails to back up her story?? My mind went back to the way his little fist is balled up in the video game photo.

In any case, would a broken jaw have pretty much immobilized him? I know when I'm in excruciating pain, I feel the need to sit in one spot without moving. If Ethan sat still for the most part, I wonder how NS and SS could've been so provoked to continue beating on him. Except for inaction. Inaction and a lack of response can send some people over the edge if they feel they're being ignored. ???

IMO, Ethan was guarding his arm/shoulder too. I am bothered by the way his hand and shoulder look in that photo.

Can't believe this story at all. I'm sure IF Ethan has had food with peanuts in it - and if having a severe allergic reaction, the kind a peanut allergy can cause - he would have a prescription for a couple Epi-Pens or Ana-Guard - that are filled with an immediate child appropriate dose of epinephrine that would help the child to breathe and would reduce the severe accompanying itching and swelling until a 911 call was made. Of course the child would put his hands to the face, the itching is severe - but if the hands or jaw is broken, can you imagine the dilemma for the child. moo

I bring you this information as a clinical pharmacist with decades of experience. didn't include a link, if anyone would like one, be happy to get it. MOO

Honestly I have never seen an "allergic reaction" like that. (those kids are usually rushed to the ER and NOT taken to a pediatrician)I did have one little girl come in covered in hives from fire ant bites. Her fever was so high and she was so swollen that she cried when we touched her. her face however was not swollen at all. She was not scratching herself.

The itchy (est) kids I have seen were in the process of breaking out with chicken pox but with just a few pox the clawing was not bad. We did tell moms to cut their finger nails to cut down on the likelyhood of infection.

The other one I can think of would be ones with severe allergic reactions to poison ivy... but even then it also hurts to scratch too much due to the swelling.

IMO if Ethan was having an allergic reaction to ANYTHING... and his face reacted like it did... There is NO WAY he would be capable of maintaining his airway. An allergic reaction like that is systemic. His throat would have swollen shut BEFORE his face got to that point... MOO
BUT there is ALWAYS that one kid that proves ya wrong sooo. Take it with a grain of salt...

BBM

I've never seen an allergic reaction that results in severe bruising.

IMO, Ethan was guarding his arm/shoulder too. I am bothered by the way his hand and shoulder look in that photo.

OH NO!:shocked2: I just had a terrible thought Ethan could have been clawing at his face! Because he couldn't breathe! Good Lord I hope not...

If your child was having an allergic reaction to something or you suspected they were, wouldn't you seek medical attention for them right away? I know I would:waitasec:

Can't believe this story at all. I'm sure IF Ethan has had food with peanuts in it - and if having a severe allergic reaction, the kind a peanut allergy can cause - he would have a prescription for a couple Epi-Pens or Ana-Guard - that are filled with an immediate child appropriate dose of epinephrine that would help the child to breathe and would reduce the severe accompanying itching and swelling until a 911 call was made. Of course the child would put his hands to the face, the itching is severe - but if the hands or jaw is broken, can you imagine the dilemma for the child. moo

I bring you this information as a clinical pharmacist with decades of experience. didn't include a link, if anyone would like one, be happy to get it. MOO

Joe said Ethan had no allergies. Not that I believed NS or SS in the first place.

Agreed! I was a pediatric nurse for 19 years and I have never seen it... only heard about it...

Same. I've seen some impressive drug reactions, and some have caused deep red discoloration of the skin, but I don't recall ever seeing a reaction that caused dark purple bruising, and certainly nothing to that extent.

Joe said Ethan had no allergies. Not that I believed NS or SS in the first place.

I don't eitherI think they are lying.. but allergies can develop at any time during a person's life.
My daughter was 15 when she had an allergic reaction to an apple... she carries and epi pen now... so never say never!

If your child was having an allergic reaction to something or you suspected they were, wouldn't you seek medical attention for them right away? I know I would:waitasec:

Exactly. Nothing to *fear* in getting them to a doctor right away. Right?

No, I don't believe that either, just pointing out that if she really thought he was having an allergic reaction, especially one where his jaw was purple and lips swollen, if she were at least a decent parent she would have sought medical attention for him rather than just telling people about it to place blame somewhere other than her and NS...she is just disgusting and we all know is not a decent parent by any means.

I'm sure he didn't! That's why I said IF in my comment. IF Ethan had such allergies to peanuts, he would at 4yo have had peanuts prior to this visit. And if so, Joe would have taken him to the ER and the ER would have given him a prescription for a couple epi-pens or Ana-Pens. Easy to get and easy to carry everywhere your child goes. Can give them to teachers or the nurse at school. They come pre-dosed for a child of 4yo and it is injected at the hip site, right through the child's clothes. Helps reduce swollen airways, itching and swelling until 911 is called.

Trying not to frighten mom and dads here - not all allergies turn into anaphylactic shock. Many allergies begin with a itchy rash and some urticaria (hive like). Always call the doctor and, once confirmed as an allergy, inform your pharmacist so the allergy can appear on the child's medication profile. Allergic reactions can become worse with each repeated exposure.If a reaction is severe, your Dr. or a Dr. in the ER will give you a prescription for epi-pens, a pre-measured dose of epinephrine to inject in case of future rx. The Dr's nurse or your pharmacist will teach you how to inject properly. moo

The armchair psychologist in me wants to throw Borderline Personality Disorder into her mix!!

yes, with a meth addiction. Mental illness, Low-self esteem, bad situation, lonely single mom with kid meets abusive new bf with possible MPD, both have meth addictions. This is what I feel is behind this case.

I could be way off base here, but I've been thinking about that Mother's Day Card. I wonder if Stephanie was trying to jump the gun here. We all know that Ethan was not in any condition to talk prior to Mother's Day and they didn't want him to tell anyone what they had done, even if he could talk. Perhaps Stephanie expected that Joe's girl-friend would want to talk to Ethan on Mother's Day or she/Joe would expect Ethan to want to talk to her. How was she going to get around this? Maybe she thought if she sent this card, she could buy a little more time of Ethan not speaking to his father. Or maybe I am way off and it was some sick passive-aggressive move on Stephanie's part. Any theories or thoughts?

It sounds pretty sadistic to me.
I think we'd have to know more about SS past and patterns to make a educated guess.
I am guessing childhood abuse, mental illness and meth addiction caused this perfect storm that ended in the tragic death of an innocent child.

http://www.fewtek.com/utah.htm

link shows how long it takes to send a letter from utah to florida (2-7 days)

I hope the envelope with postmark was saved as I think she sent that card after Ethan was already severely injured.

http://www.fewtek.com/utah.htm

link shows how long it takes to send a letter from utah to florida (2-7 days)

I hope the envelope with postmark was saved as I think she sent that card after Ethan was already severely injured.

That dates rule out that SS picked up the card while getting the lighter fluid and slushies - but maybe while on her shopping trip to Walmart on the 7th. How sadistic can a person be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee