Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got here, and Nancy's breaking the sad news on her show right now. :(

I don't buy it either. This girl was being "disciplined" by the family for disobedience. I had a friend from Burma, he mentioned that he was "beat" as a child, for anything that was viewed as disobedience. :eek: :mad: He said his mother was very strict. Lashings were quite common in Burma for discipline.

Please don't quote me as that is NOT what I meant!
There has been NO proof of your statement!:furious:

This gives you a good idea as why she thought it was safe to go to this house...

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_8782804
Thanks :) it's a good article. I can't understand this part though: "About 5:30 p.m., when Myint came home and learned Hser was missing, she said she knocked on the door of No. 472 and heard someone say, "Nobody home." Then she returned to her apartment." Did that come from inside the apartment or a neighbor of #472? If Hser was known to play there it seems like the first place to look.

The more that's coming out, the more heartbreaking this gets. The perp was only in the US for 30 days before he killed Hser on Monday night. Marc Klaas is also on Nancy's show and said that an Amber Alert should've gone out immediately since Hser suffered asthma, had no friends, limited language skills in English and so forth. LE is saying that she was probably dead within the first hour she was missing, but Marc is saying that's speculation and the alert should've been out anyway. I agree with Marc!

I agree that the alert should have gone out sooner. HOWEVER, Nancy Grace doesn't seem to understand the criteria of the alert. It simply can't be used for every missing child because the public will grow to tune them out. I do believe that some kind of missing child alert or notification should be sent out for every child immediately, but not necessarily and Amber Alert.

Shouldn't the amber alert been issued immediately being Hser Nay Moo had a medical condition (Asthma) and was without her inhaler? Her life was in danger.

I agree that the alert should have gone out sooner. HOWEVER, Nancy Grace doesn't seem to understand the criteria of the alert. It simply can't be used for every missing child because the public will grow to tune them out. I do believe that some kind of missing child alert or notification should be sent out for every child immediately, but not necessarily and Amber Alert.

It was actually Marc Klaas who first suggested that the AA should've gone out immediately due to Hser having asthma, not being clothed for the cold night, having limited communication skills in English and so forth.

Marc would be correct!

It was actually Marc Klaas who first suggested that the AA should've gone out immediately due to Hser having asthma, not being clothed for the cold night, having limited communication skills in English and so forth.

They did use reverse 911 to alert the public of her going missing and activated the officers specifically experienced in missing or abducted child cases.

The Amber Alert not going out immediately would have made no difference in the outcome here. There was no vehicle or suspect description to go on. I don't think it did meet the criteria in this respect. How would it have changed this scenario for Hser in any way?

Of course an Amber Alert should have been issued immediately in this case due to the victim's medical history..she had asthma and did not have her inhaler with her...she also spoke very little English..those two things should have prompted am Amber Alert within the first two hours after she disappeared. That is my opinion.Maybe it's needs to be called an Amber Alert PLUS medical or something along those lines...to let the public know that the person that is missing also has a medical problem. it is time to do something more with the Amber Alert system when the missing person has a life threatening condition.

It wouldn't have changed the outcome but at the time they didn't know if she was kidnapped or just missing/lost.

Criteria for the amber alert:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Utah's criteria for an AMBER Alert:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1) Is this believed to be a child abduction?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2) Is the child 17 years of age or younger? (AMBER Alerts are not activated for persons over 17)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3) Is the victim believed to be facing imminent danger, serious bodily injury or death?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4) Is there information that could assist the public in the safe recovery of the victim or the apprehension of a suspect?[/FONT]

They did use reverse 911 to alert the public of her going missing and activated the officers specifically experienced in missing or abducted child cases.

The Amber Alert not going out immediately would have made no difference in the outcome here. There was no vehicle or suspect description to go on. I don't think it did meet the criteria in this respect. How would it have changed this scenario for Hser in any way?

What is more disturbing to me than the Amber Alert not being activated is Hser being allowed to go play in a house with four men living there. The one article said other children played in that apartment, but a 7 y/o girl being allowed to go there and no one seemed to think anything wrong with it? :mad:

It wouldn't have changed the outcome but at the time they didn't know if she was kidnapped or just missing/lost.

Criteria for the amber alert:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Utah's criteria for an AMBER Alert:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1) Is this believed to be a child abduction?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2) Is the child 17 years of age or younger? (AMBER Alerts are not activated for persons over 17)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3) Is the victim believed to be facing imminent danger, serious bodily injury or death?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4) Is there information that could assist the public in the safe recovery of the victim or the apprehension of a suspect?[/FONT]

Exactly. Amber Alerts are for child abductions. This means there has to be at least suspicion of a kidnapping. I believe that all 4 above criteria need to be met in most cases to issue the alert. There should be some other method in place for other missing children with no proof of abduction, such as a general missing child alert. In her case, because of previously mentioned circumstances, SOME sort of alert should have gone out earler.

ETA: Just now read, from SeriouslySearching, that they did in fact use reverse 911.

What is more disturbing to me than the Amber Alert not being activated is Hser being allowed to go play in a house with four men living there. The one article said other children played in that apartment, but a 7 y/o girl being allowed to go there and no one seemed to think anything wrong with it? :mad:
Again, this is how they lived in the refugee camp for 20 plus years. People would casually go in and out of each other's homes there and children were free to roam because they did not have such crimes happening. They honestly did not know any better.

Again, this is how they lived in the refugee camp for 20 plus years. People would casually go in and out of each other's homes there and children were free to roam because they did not have such crimes happening. They honestly did not know any better.
Thank you for explaining it to me. I thought it might be something cultural, since here (in the U.S.) it's almost an invitation to trouble. I do wonder if this guy who has been arrested had committed other crimes before coming to the U.S. 30 days ago?

Thanks :) it's a good article. I can't understand this part though: "About 5:30 p.m., when Myint came home and learned Hser was missing, she said she knocked on the door of No. 472 and heard someone say, "Nobody home." Then she returned to her apartment." Did that come from inside the apartment or a neighbor of #472? If Hser was known to play there it seems like the first place to look.

This is a conclusion I came to... for a bit I lived in the home of a Vietnamese family. Some of them did not speak very good english, some were quite fluent. I noticed when those that were fluent were not home and someone knocked at the door the not-so-fluent person would just say 'nobody home'. For them it was probably easier to say that than open the door and deal with a language barrier.

So maybe that is why the neighbor thought nothing of it-at the time. Maybe she was not in panic mode yet and just figured there were no kids in the house due to the response and went on her way?

It has been said that this little girl and her brothers went over to watch videos and play video games with the 4 guys that lived in the apartment. Maybe Suri's brothers were always with her went she went there before...maybe not. We don't know that she went to the door and the killer opened the door and she turned to leave because the guys that she was familiar with weren't home. He could have pulled her into the apt and she couldn't get away from him. Or he could have acted really nice so she went in or he could have told her the others were home and when she got inside she discovered no one else was there and tried to leave. We don't know all of the details.

In my opinion it is unfair to begin to lay the blame for this little girls murder on her parents because she was allowed to play outside or go to a certain apt. The parents knew the 4 guys that had lived in the apt for several months and must have trusted them. It sounds like they were friends of her older brothers. The bottom line her is that a little 7 yr old girl is dead and a 21 yr old guy murdered her. He is at fault and only him. Let's remember, this family aren't from the United States...their culture is different...the way they lived before they came here was totally different then we are used to. I would imagine they believed their little girl was safe or she wouldn't have been allowed to go out and play alone. They probably have no idea the amount of crime in the US.

It would not have changed the outcome by any means BUT I think if a child has a life threatening medical condition as this child did then the AA needs to be put out....I understand the criteria and in my opinion most of them were met...she certaintly faced imminent danger due to not having her inhaler with her...she is/was under 7 years of age...and lastly if reports are accurate that she willingly went to this apartment- although she was not abducted, she was held there and not allowed to leave, I would assume. And any child who doesn't speak the language of the country they are in faces some sort of danger. It's just very very sad....and what makes it even sadder to me is the fact that the one who is charged in her murder is of the same nationality she is/was. Perhapa Law Enforcement needs to develop some special type of lock down in these apartment buildings when a child goes missing from one of them...the inability to search a home when no-one is home perhaps should have a special clause added to it when the circumstances are such as it was in this acse.

Thanks for your replies. I read more over at the Salt Lake Tribune site and see that these families had been together in the refugee camp and were brought here by a church affiliated organization, so it's probably a shock for all involved that something happened to Hser. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shachio8485