UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s “unexpected” death last year, May 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So she wanted her husband to change the beneficiary from his partner TO HER???? that's messed up if true

Yes His business insurance was very typical for a business with a small number of partners. If one died, the other needed the insurance money to pay for a replacement or additional staffing to maintain the business practice income, so as to avoid causing the business to have to close.

It takes quite an idiot to do something so brash and think they could get away with it. Insurance companies keep a very close eye on whomever is trying to alter their contract, especially if the beneficiary is being changed. Duh.

I'd love to see one of those body language experts to look at her interview about her new book.
I'm not a body language expert (IANABLE?) but I love watching them. Here's a few things I noticed (after watching the full interview HERE):
  • "Closed" posture with legs crossed, fingers crossed, sort of hunched-over shoulders are all a 'defensive' posture; wearing a jacket on-screen also strikes me as a sort of an additional layer of 'protective armor' (article discussing this topic).
  • Head nodding / shaking. There's very subtle changes in her head movement as she's speaking that changes throughout the interview (harder to see when it zooms out, but here's some examples from the close-up shots)
    • NODDING when telling facts of the date and her husband's age
    • SHAKING when she says "Took us all by shock" (a mash-up of "took us all by surprise" and "we were shocked" that makes it seem like she had the phrase planned out but misspoke)
    • NODDING when telling facts about kids' ages
    • SHAKING when talking about how 'my kids and I wrote this book' (No mention of ghostwriters, and how much involvement could the kids have really had in that process? Also uses the qualifier "we kind of wrote this book"*)
    • SHAKING when talking about "grieving processes we've experienced this year"
    • NODDING at the end -- "I really appreciate being here"
  • Heavy sighs (giving herself extra time to think?)
    • within the phrase "it completely... took us all by shock"
    • within the phrase "wrote this book on the different... emotions and... grieving processes"
    • within the phrase "I've done... I'm new to all of this"
  • Her goal in writing the book was to help her kids "deal with this and find happiness," while the interviewer filled in "and to make sense and process." While the interviewer recognizes that often part of the grieving process is searching for answers, I suspect KR did not actually want her kids to search for answers; she just wanted them to move on.
  • "kind of" is obviously one of her filler phrases, which often hints at vagueness in a story. A few times she used them:
    • "We kind of... my kids and I kind of wrote this book" (looks away, down at this point)
    • "hoping that it can kind of help other kids, you know, deal with this and kind of, you know, find happiness"
    • "I've done... you know... I'm new to all of this, so kind of doing research"
    • "We kind of articulated it and put it into a story"
  • Eye contact - points where I noticed she specifically looks away (again, hard to see in the wide view)
    • "We kind of... my kids and I kind of wrote this book"
    • talking about grieving as a widow--as a wife (why the clarification/self-correction there?)
IMO. MOO.

Interesting that KR's reality business alleged Tile and Terrazzo Contracting as its industry for the purpose of PPP.

These PPP loans seem rather suspect to me.

During the pandemic, her real estate business should have been quite active. Lots of properties changing hands, at high prices.

The tile business shouldn't have been impacted either. Contractors could keep working and both outdoors and inside. Building where I am was booming and the contractors and realtors were the ones working full time and overtime!

During the pandemic, her real estate business should have been quite active. Lots of properties changing hands, at high prices.

The tile business shouldn't have been impacted either. Contractors could keep working and both outdoors and inside. Building where I am was booming and the contractors and realtors were the ones working full time and overtime!

The entire SBA PPP loan program is "problematic".

Interesting that her real estate business received ~$21K. His masonry company received ~$720K

She must have really desperately to get her hands on the masonry companies loan. The paperwork for that was probably being processed a few months before Eric's murder.

It takes quite an idiot to do something so brash and think they could get away with it. Insurance companies keep a very close eye on whomever is trying to alter their contract, especially if the beneficiary is being changed. Duh.
Yes, it seems so outrageous, and yet, while she was 'caught', it seems to me she didn't suffer any consequences.

I guess the children were her hostages, no matter what she did, her husband wouldn't go after her because he knew she could destroy his relationship with them.

The prosecution in the Lori Vallow case described the motives as money, power and sex.

In this case, I can see the money and power motive, but as some are speculating, did she also have another man?

Or was it that she just couldn't stand him and believed, once she was a rich widow, she would attract someone better?

Just amateur opinion and speculation

I wonder what Kouri's relationship with Cody Wright, Erics's business partner is like?

She strikes me as the kind of woman who would try to seduce her husband's best friend to get to her husband's money, and to try to humiliate him.

The entire SBA PPP loan program is "problematic".

Interesting that her real estate business received ~$21K. His masonry company received ~$720K

She must have really desperately to get her hands on the masonry companies loan. The paperwork for that was probably being processed a few months before Eric's murder.
Was she privy to what Eric's company received? If so, she may also have been jealous that his got more (far more) PPP than her business did.

Was she privy to what Eric's company received? If so, she may also have been jealous that his got more (far more) PPP than her business did.

The SBA PPP is directed towards rewarding businesses deemed "necessary" during COVID shutdown who retained employees, despite shutdown or severely decreased revenues.

So the amount of the loan allowed is directly related to the cost of retaining employees. The more employees, and the higher their regular payrolls, the more a business received.

It's easy to see Kouri's real estate company having really only one employee, while Eric's masonry business may have had 10 employees and therefore was allowed a much higher loan.

The SBA PPP is directed towards rewarding businesses deemed "necessary" during COVID shutdown who retained employees, despite shutdown or severely decreased revenues.

So the amount of the loan allowed is directly related to the cost of retaining employees. The more employees, and the higher their regular payrolls, the more a business received.

It's easy to see Kouri's real estate company having really only one employee, while Eric's masonry business may have had 10 employees and therefore was allowed a much higher loan.
Thank you Herat. I was just going to comment on that. I know of several businesses that received this ”loan”. Basically as a bonus for keeping employees working during the pandemic. I don’t know of any who had to actually replay the money. Not exactly a loan , right?
At least that’s how I understood it. No doubt Eric had a good sized crew in the kind of business he was in, which would explain the dollar figure of his PPP loan.

The loans were only based on whether the company kept their employees throughout the pandemic and if they were paying them for taking time off for sick family or childcare issues, etc.
If you could prove that you spent the money on things like salaries, paid time off, and other things related to keeping your staff employed, the government didn’t require it to be repaid.
Source: I am an accountant and successfully got my company’s COVID loans forgiven through the program.

Thank you Herat. I was just going to comment on that. I know of several businesses that received this ”loan”. Basically as a bonus for keeping employees working during the pandemic. I don’t know of any who had to actually replay the money. Not exactly a loan , right?
At least that’s how I understood it. No doubt Eric had a good sized crew in the kind of business he was in, which would explain the dollar figure of his PPP loan.
With a masonry business, he might have been able to continue at full throttle through COVID, since a lot would be outdoors or new construction, so low risk of aerosol virus.

When these loans were offered I saw people I knew suddenly become very needy if you know what I mean. My conscience is clear. Lots of fudging was going on. Don't try to make sense of greed.

Shades of Charles Vallow.

I'm deeply confused about cases where someone has warned other people that their spouse might kill them, and yet they stay in the marriage trying to make it work...wouldn't you at least throw away any food or drink this person served you?

Perhaps people who have been married understand this? Do marriages go through a phase, where you believe your spouse is trying to kill you, but counsellors advise sticking with it because 'this too shall pass'?

JMO

I suppose it would depend on how my family reacted- wouldn’t it?
If I went to my family because my husband was trying to poison me… just a guess but I think my family would react like this…

Unless I showed signs of some kind of mental break… my family would take such a claim very seriously.
- Ask me to leave and take the kids to safety, go into hiding with an obscure cousin my spouse didn’t know
- Get legal help to freeze assets, file for restraining order, file for divorce
- Get to medical facility to have test for evidence of poisoning

Would there be any talk of- Oh, you can’t be serious. I’m sure you are wrong, he is so sweet… just stick it out for the kids sake… Maybe a vacation would help your marriage…
Oh no, the threat of death would be taken seriously.

So, that is what we don‘t know. How did his sister, friends, family react when he told them he thought he was being poisoned? Surely they didn’t suggest he stay in the marriage!

What made him stay and keep the boys in her care? It makes no sense to me that he took actions to protect his money and assets but not himself and his boys!
Very strange

JMO

Last edited:

Real estate in my area was not booming (not many homes on the market or sold) during the epidemiC.
People were in lockdown and didn’t want strangers walking through, coughing and touching things while they were living there. Few were being shown

The homes on the market got a great price, especially those that were empty for quick moves, in the suburbs, and outdoor gathering spaces on large lots with pool etc.

Contractors were stretched, we had a hard freeze and ice storm, many lost power and pipes burst and some homes flooded. I know many families that had to move to a hotel during home repairs.

JMO

Last edited:

@ch_13, thank you for posting the link directly. Wow, at that interview and narcissism at its finest. jmo

KR says in the interview that her children participated in the writing of the book.

What a piece of work. Next-level psychopath.

Her poor kids. I hope they get the help and comfort they will need.

The property is no longer under contract and the listing is now active again. Maybe the buyers didn't want to be associated with the mess KR has created? MOO.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230517_094308_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230517_094308_Chrome.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 8
The property is no longer under contract and the listing is now active again. Maybe the buyers didn't want to be associated with the mess KR has created? MOO.

TY for checking on the listing, I was hoping this would happen.

I’d donate to a $$ fund for the deets on who it was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member