UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s “unexpected” death last year, May 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re-asking a question that was asked upthread but was not answered, as far as I could tell. It may require a real estate expert’s opinion.

If ER told his family that he planned to refuse to sign off on the closing documents of the money pit mansion (as referenced in many articles throughout this thread), how was KR able to complete the closing documents on her own after his death? Would she have had to have forged his signatures?

Reading between the lines, I think she did falsify a signature.

Most all real estate deal contracts and document negotiations are done electronically now. As a realtor, she may have had a way to bypass the notarization of signatures required on the offer and acceptance documents, and just log in as Eric and do it electronically.

A lot can happen very quickly if you have insight into the document process. It would be interesting to follow the electronic trail for this purchase. I'll bet it is not to the highest of legal standards.

If the purchase of the flip was judged to be fraudulent, then she wouldn't be able to sell it, in my thinking.

I don't think the court should allow her to retain the grant deed to the property if the documents were falsified. In that case, she couldn't sell it to someone else and reportedly gain the proceeds to use to pay her law team.

It won’t save my search results, but put “ widow “ in the search box and it should take you to an audio interview KR did on April 12, 2023. It’s about the 7th story when you scroll down.

C0A2381A-556A-4CA1-BEFD-A89E837E05CB.jpeg
She talks about her plans for a 2nd book.

Last edited:
It won’t save my search results, but put “ widow “ in the search box and it should take you to an audio interview KR did on April 12, 2023. It’s about the 7th story when you scroll down.

Here's a link directly to the interview:

Listening to it right now. She sounds so chipper.

Re-asking a question that was asked upthread but was not answered, as far as I could tell. It may require a real estate expert’s opinion.

If ER told his family that he planned to refuse to sign off on the closing documents of the money pit mansion (as referenced in many articles throughout this thread), how was KR able to complete the closing documents on her own after his death? Would she have had to have forged his signatures?
I noticed some articles refer to her buying the house for 'her business', ie her real estate company Utah author argued with husband over buying $2M house before he was killed, records state

To me, that makes sense. Individuals pay capital gains in Utah, on profits from flipping houses, it's better to do it in the name of a company to shelter from those taxes (and also from bankrupcy, if it doesn't sell).

So, in that case, she'd have signing authority for her own business.

I'm sure there was much more about where would the money come from, but she may have had capital from other homes to get business loans to make it over the hump until, as she believed, she could get the inheritance and life insurance.

JMO.

I noticed some articles refer to her buying the house for 'her business', ie her real estate company Utah author argued with husband over buying $2M house before he was killed, records state

To me, that makes sense. Individuals pay capital gains in Utah, on profits from flipping houses, it's better to do it in the name of a company to shelter from those taxes (and also from bankrupcy, if it doesn't sell).

So, in that case, she'd have signing authority for her own business.

I'm sure there was much more about where would the money come from, but she may have had capital from other homes to get business loans to make it over the hump until, as she believed, she could get the inheritance and life insurance.

JMO.

So she needed his inheritance to pay for the property and that's why he was killed, not because his signature was required for the sale? Hmm.

That's a very bad idea, as his business affairs have to be closed and his will needs to be examined before any funds can be distributed. It takes years, not days. She had already been rebuffed in trying to get his business insurance, in January I believe. Why did she think she would get it from the insurance company now, especially when it was very clear the insurance money went to the other business partner, not her.

She just got too greedy, too desperate, too careless.

Before real estate agent Kouri Richins allegedly poisoned her husband, Eric Richins, to death, the two had sparredover a $3.75 million home — which is now in contract.

Located in Heber City, Utah — Kouri, 33, allegedly argued with Eric, 39, about her plans to purchase and flip this 20,000-square-foot home just days before he was found dead at their residence in Kamas.

It would have cost them $2 million in down payment and renovations to eventually flip it.

Kouri had dreamed of flipping the estate, but Eric refused to pay the hefty price.

On March 5, 2022, court documents reveal that hours after Kouri allegedly slipped her husband a lethal dose of fentanyl, she signed the papers to close on the home.

She then invited friends to the 10-acre property to drink and celebrate the new purchase.

Originally from Bountiful, Richins went to Woods Cross High before graduating from the University of Utah, according to his Facebook profile. The university declined to comment but confirmed he received a bachelor’s degree in 2011.

Two years prior, he had started a masonry business called C&E Stone Masonry with his business partner and close friend Cody Wright; the letters in the company’s name corresponded to their own initials, according to a petition filed Wednesday in an ongoing probate case over Richins’ estate. The pair focused on intricate outdoor stone work, pavers and tile work in high-end homes, as seen on their Instagram.

Richins and Wright purchased mutual life insurance policies on each other, the petition states. Skordas said this is common practice when two people go into business together. “It gives you the funds to buy the other party out if they die,” he said.

Most all real estate deal contracts and document negotiations are done electronically now. As a realtor, she may have had a way to bypass the notarization of signatures required on the offer and acceptance documents, and just log in as Eric and do it electronically.

A lot can happen very quickly if you have insight into the document process. It would be interesting to follow the electronic trail for this purchase. I'll bet it is not to the highest of legal standards.
Good point! Docusign has no idea who is behind the computer. Would be interesting if they do a forensic dig into the time stamp of his signature.

Too many people to reply to so I will just make a general reply. First, I am not stupid, I know people use ghostwriters for books. I had just never heard of ghostwriting for a children's book because it isn't difficult to write a couple sentences per page.

KR's Review of Ghostwriting Co.

@asmi106082
In case you missed the review I cut & pasted from the ghostwriting co website, here it is:

"These guys did an amazing job at taking what I wanted illustrated and my words and ideas for the book and bring it to life! Highly recommended!
Kouri Richins
March 15, 2023"
Book Writing Lane Reviews: Read Real Clients Feedback"
www.bookwritinglane.com
Thank you! I’m not sure how I missed it!

Too many people to reply to so I will just make a general reply. First, I am not stupid, I know people use ghostwriters for books. I had just never heard of ghostwriting for a children's book because it isn't difficult to write a couple sentences per page.
What do you mean ?

When we bought a house I signed electronically for both myself and my husband because he hates all things computers. He knew what was being “signed” on his behalf but didn’t want to do it. We did have to go in and actually sign documents in front of the mortgage broker at closing, though. I don’t know how someone would be able to get around that. We both had to present our identification and we both had to sign and initial in multiple places on the contracts, etc.
moo

Specific to the purchase of the compound, I disagree. IMO, KR was clever as a fox. If she did not have support for the purchase by ER-- as reported, she most likely purchased the property as K Richins Realty, lLC, and ER's signature not required.

I believe it's been reported KR purchased the compound for "her business" and if true that she closed on the transaction following the death of her husband, it doesn't follow that KR wouldn't have long ago been charged with fraud if she forged his signature. Also, a Durable POA is not valid after death. JMO

Last edited:
Interesting that KR's reality business alleged Tile and Terrazzo Contracting as its industry for the purpose of PPP.

From public records, ER purchased the family home at 282 W WILLOW CT in his name only on 11/9/2012 and transferred the property to his living trust on 11/3/2020.

In other words, I don't think it would be unusual if KR purchased property including the compound as separate property.

The MLS Listing and 58 photos are a much better representation of the subject property compared to the animated rendering.

TWO HOMES ON ONE ALMOST 10 ACRES! Finish them to create your paradise!​

UNDER CONTRACT: ACCEPTING BACKUP OFFERSTWO HOMES with 9.75 ACRES NEAR MIDWAY!!! Finish an already-framed architectural masterpiece--complete with butler's pantry, office, swimming pool, therapy pool, exercise room, golf simulator, multi-purpose indoor volleyball court, climbing rock wall, two commons rooms, two kitchens, and even a room dedicated for virtual reality experiences! Enjoy covered patios with breathtaking, unobstructed mountain views. The 8 bedrooms plus office have adjoining bathrooms and can sleep up to 60 people for your family reunions, church gatherings, etc. This property also includes an ADDITIONAL 3,300 square foot, four bed/three bath guest/caretaker's home-framed AND sheet rocked. Sitting on Midway Lane and next to the world-class Provo River (home of blue-ribbon fly fishing), you will be within walking distance to Midway's famous Main Street and minutes away from the Jordanelle Gondola of Deer Valley, the forthcoming Mayflower Mountain Resort, five renowned public golf courses, cross country skiing at Soldier Hollow, two beautiful reservoirs for your choice of water sports, Swiss Days, and miles upon miles of maintained trails for running, hiking, and biking. Drive a little farther, and you can snowmobile for any distance, visit downtown Park City, and enjoy Salt Lake City. See what this bedroom community has to offer and discover why everyone who visits wants to stay! Ask your agent for the website with an artist's CAD rendering of the finished product. Square footage figures provided as a courtesy estimate only and obtained from House Plans. Acreage by public records. Buyer is advised to obtain independent measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unique sky 6793