UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s “unexpected” death last year, May 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
WS has to have someone in insurance to ask right ? I thought we had a list of professionals who also have love of true crime . I do not think the government should get a list of everyone who has life insurance as that could lead to way more wide spread complex crimes of a more structured sort. Which to me seems worse then the overall low amount of people being murdered by their spouse for monetary gain ..Moo.. Picture if Vallow had a list of peoples wives who had a ton of insurance? I think it best we keep the suspect pool low ,but if the government had that list , a bunch of people could kill people they do not even know and have it benefit them without the aide of investigators because of corruption . I would much just have to worry about my own people murdering me .
I used to be insurance-licensed in life and health (long-term care). However, this stuff gets very niche-y, there are thousands of products, and insurance is regulated by the state (not federally), which means, with 50 states, some of the finer points could be in the niche-ist of niches.

In the Brophy trial, the prosecution team really struggled with the insurance gobbledygook, and even their expert witness had trouble. Nancy (the perp) lived and breathed the terminology, and she'd used the details to make murder very lucrative. I still don't think the prosecution had all her insurance deviousness figured out (she was doing something illegal no one could quite put their finger on, and maybe stiffing insurance companies on commissions), and that demonstrated to me how arcane this insurance stuff can be.

At any rate, I hope this case doesn't have to go into insurance weeds...... Did KR have a friend who was an agent? Did she have a license herself, and that made it easy to buy policies?

IIRC, she was bookkeeping for her husband, was supposed to be paying his taxes. She didn't.

In 2020, Eric found out Kouri had not only failed to file his taxes, but had also falsified his signature on a second mortgage and had also taken money from his savings. He also consulted a divorce lawyer and established the Trust for his children and excluded Kouri from access to his assets.

The amount owed the IRS in 2020 was reported at about $134,000. Not hard to see how it could get to ~$170,000 with penalties if she still hadn't paid it. (Althought I would have thought it would have been paid off and the money taken from her in some other way)

This is from the May 18, 2023 announcement that her arraignment had been postponed, reported by ABC news out of Salt Lake City:

"In September 2020, Eric Richins discovered that Kouri Richins had obtained and spent a $250,000 home equity line of credit on the Kamas home, withdrawn at least $100,000 from his bank accounts, and spent in excess of $30,000 on his credit cards.

Kouri Richins had also allegedly been in charge of paying Eric’s taxes, but she allegedly did not pay the taxes and instead kept the money. The stolen tax payments were at least $134,346. Eric Richins allegedly confronted his wife, and she agreed to pay."

So the March 3 2023 IRS call would have verified she had not paid the IRS, 3 years later, and that she was still in some financial scheme that required her to own the Big Strike unfinished property. I wonder if Eric was receiving any of the IRS notices at all. I know that IRS is extremely particular about documenting which address they are sending notifications or correspondence to. Perhaps he finally received a notice from the IRS that day.

Last edited:
Here's a lawsuit she was named in. If I'm reading it right, she was supposed to pay back over $5K per week. Also looks like she had a PO Box. Wonder if she used that to keep stuff away from Eric.

I had a dream last night about KR's coat and why she was wearing it in the TV program... I'm speculating she a) threw up on her blouse; b) had a pants accident; c) spilled a whole cup of coffee down her front; d) thought her blouse was too revealing and needed a modest cover up; e) she popped a button on either blouse or pants; f) she was having a "fat day" and had been planning on a "thin day"; g) the mirror in the green room had cheap glass and made her think her outfit was "all wrong"; h) she dressed for fun and after she got there realized she should look like her husband died...

So the "coat as protector or concealer" could reflect a very banal reason, no deep psychology.

The lawsuit was filed in New York State, where Green Grass Capital appears to be headquartered. The Doreen Kouri/ KRD Real Estate company, the Cleaning service were supposed to submit payments to Green Grass Capital and they stopped paying, and some of their checks bounced.

The plaintiff is asking for $87,0000.

Green Grass Capital seems to be a private loan company.

Here's a lawsuit she was named in. If I'm reading it right, she was supposed to pay back over $5K per week. Also looks like she had a PO Box. Wonder if she used that to keep stuff away from Eric.

So KR had 10 aliases and was indebted to a factoring firm (receivables) in addition to a hard money lender. Suffice it to say she had rubbish credit, and no collateral, and locals knew ER was NOT then or in the future going to act as guarantor for her debts.

Unless KR paid her private counsel upfront, it shouldn't be long before her representation is the burden of the state public defender's office. JMO

One of the named defendants is Doreen Kouri. Hmm.....

Last edited:
Hohoho....

KR was an insurance agent!

View attachment 423724

Her biz email was JSCHROEDER@TVCMARKETING.COM per her licensee page; there is also some lack of clarity about dates, but perhaps the state recently pulled the license when fraud was being detected (e.g. in this case?)?

Do we have any use for an alias of "J Schroeder"?

I remember a local case where an insurance person had her husband killed and the state ripped her license. Crystal Willians in upstate SC for reference.

Hohoho....

View attachment 423724

Her biz email was JSCHROEDER@TVCMARKETING.COM per her licensee page; there is also some lack of clarity about dates, but perhaps the state recently pulled the license when fraud was being detected (e.g. in this case?)?

Do we have any use (for research purposes) for an alias "J Schroeder"?

Business phone number is a 405 area code - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

I used to be insurance-licensed in life and health (long-term care). However, this stuff gets very niche-y, there are thousands of products, and insurance is regulated by the state (not federally), which means, with 50 states, some of the finer points could be in the niche-ist of niches.

In the Brophy trial, the prosecution team really struggled with the insurance gobbledygook, and even their expert witness had trouble. Nancy (the perp) lived and breathed the terminology, and she'd used the details to make murder very lucrative. I still don't think the prosecution had all her insurance deviousness figured out (she was doing something illegal no one could quite put their finger on, and maybe stiffing insurance companies on commissions), and that demonstrated to me how arcane this insurance stuff can be.

At any rate, I hope this case doesn't have to go into insurance weeds...... Did KR have a friend who was an agent? Did she have a license herself, and that made it easy to buy policies?
Thank you ! I do think with 5 policies this will go into insurance weeds on top of that the tax debt Kori is said to be on the hook for ,if it was from accounting for his company ..I would think that would fall back on the trustee of Eric's estate I do not think Kori would be liable to pay any accounting issues without being charged with a crime ,in connection to the business Eric owned . The marital Joint income maybe, but not for his company's issues and the prenup supports the idea that she is not a person of liability for a tax debt on behalf of that company. So this 170,000 is interesting.

Doesn’t the person the insurance is being taken out on have to sign the paperwork? That’s what I remember from mine and my husband’s policies, but it’s been a while. I didn’t think it was possible to just go take out life insurance on someone without them knowing.

How can you find out if someone took a life insurance policy on you?​

Online tools can help you locate life insurance policies that list you as the insured. The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) created a free Life Insurance Policy Locator to assist you in finding a lost policy. If you know the state where the policy was obtained, you may also be able to use your state insurance department’s policy finder.

In the petition, Katie said that Kouri had a financial motive to murder Eric, and listed them as follows:

“Upon signing, Eric did not believe he was signing over such substantial rights as outlined in the Power of Attorney,” the petition stated. Eric’s purported signature was dated May 8, 2013, but was not purportedly notarized until May 8, 2018.

I'm curious about the bolded part. Isn't the whole purpose of a notary public to verify the identity of the signer of a document? How can five years pass between the signing and notarization?

Was the notary fooled somehow or were they complicit?

Doesn’t the person the insurance is being taken out on have to sign the paperwork? That’s what I remember from mine and my husband’s policies, but it’s been a while. I didn’t think it was possible to just go take out life insurance on someone without them knowing.
I've read differing opinions on this subject but I think unless it's a high-value policy where medical records are required released, or a medical exam is required, you can probably purchase a policy and keep it in effect without the approval of the insured as long as the premiums are paid. JMO

I've read differing opinions on this subject but I think unless it's a high-value policy where medical records are required released, or a medical exam is required, you can probably purchase a policy and keep it in effect without the approval of the insured as long as the premiums are paid. JMO
Thanks. Wow, that just seems like a terrible idea and something I have always thought needed the insured’s signature. o_O

Hohoho....

View attachment 423724

Do we have any use (for research purposes) for an alias "J Schroeder"?

So she probably bought all of those policies under her own license. Hinky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members