UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s “unexpected” death last year, May 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No new info, however, article provides a streamline of events concerning KR's criminal behavior. moo

Updated 12:17 p.m. CT May 22, 2023

Eric Richins came from "a large family, well-known locally, with members active in local politics and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," the Associated Press reported. He met Kouri Richins when she worked as a cashier at a Home Depot where he shopped, a former coworker told KUTV.

His family members told police he suspected his wife previously tried to poison him, including once a vacation to Greece several years ago. Family also "raised questions about marital disagreements stemming from changes to his will and the purchase of a incomplete nearby mansion in Midway, Utah, that Kouri Richins bought hoping to quickly sell," the AP reported.

Richins remained jailed without bond on Monday.

Prosecutors said she is due in court for a detention hearing on June 12.

Got a question about this Eppipen thing.
How does an eppipen help with a drug overdose ?
Also was his mom vacationing when she passed away? Weird Eric would feel poisoned in Geece ..while vacationing ?

Lastly why ,continue to live with someone you think it doing this to you?
I dunno seems he did drink ,did his sister know that? If he used drugs would she know that? Construction work is not easy on a persons body and I could see a sister not knowing that ,also the trustee was set up in 2018 , right after the death of their mother . I found that a very interesting .
Sounds like you’re questioning tne charges against the accused killer. May I ask why?
Fentinyl can cause allergiic reactions. This *advertiser censored* dangerous, that’s very obvious.

Agent Characteristics​

• APPEARANCE: Crystals or crystalline powder.
  • DESCRIPTION: Fentanyl is a member of the class of drugs known as fentanyls, rapid-acting opioid (synthetic opiate) drugs that alleviate pain without causing loss of consciousness (analgesic). Fentanyl depresses central nervous system (CNS) and respiratory function. Exposure to fentanyl may be fatal. Fentanyl is estimated to be 80 times as potent as morphine and hundreds of times more potent than heroin. It is a drug of abuse. Fentanyl (and other opioids) could possibly be used as an incapacitating agent to impair a person’s ability to function. In October 2002, the Russian military reportedly used “a fentanyl derivative” against terrorists holding hostages in a Moscow theater; 127 of the hostages died. (It is unclear whether the gas used also included other chemical agent(s).) Fentanyl is odorless.
  • METHODS OF DISSEMINATION:
    • Indoor Air: Fentanyl can be released into indoor air as fine particles or liquid spray (aerosol).
    • Water: Fentanyl can be used to contaminate water.
    • Food: Fentanyl can be used to contaminate food.
    • Outdoor Air: Fentanyl can be released into outdoor air as fine particles or liquid spray (aerosol).
    • Agricultural: If fentanyl is released into the air as fine particles or liquid spray (aerosol), it has the potential to contaminate agricultural products.
  • ROUTES OF EXPOSURE: Fentanyl can be absorbed into the body via inhalation, oral exposure or ingestion, or skin contact. It is not known whether fentanyl can be absorbed systemically through the eye. Fentanyl can be administered intravenously (IV), intramuscularly (IM), or as a skin patch (transdermally).

Got a question about this Eppipen thing.
How does an eppipen help with a drug overdose ?
Also was his mom vacationing when she passed away? Weird Eric would feel poisoned in Geece ..while vacationing ?

Lastly why ,continue to live with someone you think it doing this to you?
I dunno seems he did drink ,did his sister know that? If he used drugs would she know that? Construction work is not easy on a persons body and I could see a sister not knowing that ,also the trustee was set up in 2018 , right after the death of their mother . I found that a very interesting .
He grabbed the epipen because he thought it was an allergy, in fact, perhaps in that instance KR was poisoning him with something else, not fentanyl. Or, it might have been Step 1 of that plan. Let me see…toadstools, shellfish, something toxic in the retsina (whose taste is akin to turpentine IME), anise in the ouzo (maybe a component of licorice?)…. I doubt KR would take fentanyl to Greece: you’d have to worry about sniffer dogs at the airport.

Sounds like you’re questioning tne charges against the accused killer. May I ask why?
Fentinyl can cause allergiic reactions. This *advertiser censored* dangerous, that’s very obvious.
This case has more than one person with motive and millions of dollars .
Eric could have had an addiction issue or a mental health issue. . He also could have been blaming Kory for things that might not be true to his family to get family off his back . I feel a ton about what has been put out is Eric told this person this and Eric told this person that.
I see some evidence family force being applied to Eric in the tiny details in the article such as the prenup and pushing Kory to do something with her life ..etc..
I also see what signs that could point to a
drug habit from one or both of them.

I am not vested in KR is innocent.
<modsnip>

I wont know anything until they present a case . I am not jumping in KRBs wagon that fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric could have had an addiction issue or a mental health issue. . He also could have been blaming Kory for things that might not be true to his family to get family off his back . I feel a ton about what has been put out is Eric told this person this and Eric told this person that.
I see some evidence family force being applied to Eric in the tiny details in the article such as the prenup and pushing Kory to do something with her life ..etc..

<modsnip>

I wont know anything until they present a case . I am not jumping in KRBs wagon that fast.
This points to Kouri and only Kouri. The only information about Eric having any sort of drug problems came from Kouri. She is a proven liar.

Who else had a financial motive? Who else took out high dollar insurance policies on Eric? Only Kouri. Why did she try to change the beneficiary of his business account without his knowledge? <modsnip: quoted post was snipped>

There have been zero indications that Eric was doing anything to appease his family. As far as the pre-nup, we don't have specific details. Eric may have thought it was a good idea for his mother to present it, rather than him. That's pure speculation, though. We have no idea what the specific circumstances were. Also, where did that information come from? Did it come from Kouri? She's a proven liar.

Why did Kouri steal money from Eric? Why did she not pay the IRS? Why did she have so many financial shenanigans going on?

Who else had any motive to see Eric gone?

This is really not very mysterious at all.

MOO

I am not vested in KR is innocent. <modsnip>
I have a hard time squaring the known details (including LE charges) in this case with what you are saying, but I’m open to possibility. Could you maybe peg your thoughts to some sources?

<modsnip>

Re bolded, “pushing Kouri to do something with her life”….
I don’t recall reading anything like that before, other than here. Is there a source / link for that?

When the information about the overcoming grief book was posted, I wondered if this was some weird variant of Munchausen's Syndrome, now called factitious disorder imposed on self. KR received so much positive attention for her heroic response to the loss of her husband, that we now know she is legally charged with murdering.
I would think more "Munchausen by Proxy", since it would involve damaging other people to get emotional goodies for yourself.

<modsnip>

That is very interesting and has given me pause to consider this is an option. I think we all want to believe/accept the police rendition of it without thinking thru other explanations like yours.

Thank you for the fresh perspective!

That is very interesting and has given me pause to consider this is an option. I think we all want to believe/accept the police rendition of it without thinking thru other explanations like yours.

Thank you for the fresh perspective!
Thanks . That's why I am here.
I am not committed to the theory but The CL stuff is probably the most damning for Kory ,but I seriously doubt his sister would know if he or they had a drug habit . <modsnip: not victim friendly>

According to your previous post:

<modsnip>

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>
BBM

Who exactly were you referring to then, these people with motives?

You claimed "evidence of family force". Could you please provide the links to that?

Could you please provide the links that outline the signs that point to a drug habit for either of them?

<modsnip>

There are two sides to every story. Unfortunately, only one is here to state their side. I'd say that KR probably had it rough with ER's family. Eric's family probably did not like her or approve of her. Had nothing to do with doing a prenup. Perhaps part of the fight with ER sib was built up frustration. Anyway, I am not going to defend someone until I hear the facts. There is a reason why she is incarcerated, and I'd say the evidence is probably overwhelming but will wait and see. You make valid points.

I'm looking forward to trial and seeing what the evidence is, thus far it's not looking too good for Ms. Kouri.

The problem for those defending Kouri is three-fold lines of evidence:
(1) by her own account, she was there when he died by being poisoned, and no one else was there but her and the kids,
(2) he objectively died from being poisoned by fentanyl, and KR made multiple buys of fentanyl at the very same time frame, and
(3) Kouri was the one who benefited financially from his murder. No else. When the question is raised who would have killed him for a monetary gain, she's the only one.

She can argue that after he has died, her being convicted then becomes a financial benefit for others (in particular, his family and likely specifically his children), and that is true. But there is no way to argue this is a natural death being falsified into a murder. Instead, it is a question of who benefited by murdering him.

While he is alive, his young kids or family had no reason or real benefit to try to make him dead. She's the only one who stood to benefit from his death.

As for her theoretical claim that he was some sort of addict, I suspect the prosec has an autopsy able to clearly refute any absurd claim of him being an ongoing addict (with drugs in his organs) who just OD'ed himself by overdoing it.

Last edited:
The problem for those defending Kouri is two-fold lines of evidence:
(1) he objectively died from being poisoned by fentanyl, and KR made multiple buys of fentanyl at the very same time frame, and
(2) Kouri was the one who benefited financially from his murder. No one else. When the question is raised who would have killed him for a monetary gain, she's the only one.

She can argue that when he dies, her being convicted then becomes a financial benefit for others (in particular, his family and likely specifically his children), which is true - but those are people who would have had the exact same benefit by Eric staying alive. While he is alive, his young kids or family had no reason or real benefit to try to make him dead. She's the only one who stood to benefit from his death.

As for her theoretical claim that he was some sort of addict, I suspect the prosec has an autopsy able to clearly refute any absurd claim of him being an ongoing addict (with drugs in his organs) who just OD'ed himself by overdoing it.

Agree!

IMO, there was long suspicion of KP and they only needed to put the fentanyl in her hands. In fact, per the AA, KR was arrested only 6 days after CL was interviewed.

The problem for those defending Kouri is three-fold lines of evidence:
(1) by her own account, she was there when he died by being poisoned, and no one else was there but her and the kids,
(2) he objectively died from being poisoned by fentanyl, and KR made multiple buys of fentanyl at the very same time frame, and
(3) Kouri was the one who benefited financially from his murder. No else. When the question is raised who would have killed him for a monetary gain, she's the only one.
I agree with 1 & 2.

3 isn't exactly correct. We know ER's business partner was the beneficiary of a life insurance policy. And we know that ER's sister was placed in control of the living trust ER established behind KR's back. While the trust was for the benefit of the chldren, a trustee can also gain financially from it in many ways. Depending on the provisions of the will there may be other beneficiaries as well.

I'm not saying this because I think there's any chance that the business partner or sister or anyone else was involved. Items 1 & 2 are dispositive to me. But I expect that the defense will make this argument at trial (if there is one), so I just wanted to keep the record straight.

I agree with 1 & 2.

3 isn't exactly correct. We know ER's business partner was the beneficiary of a life insurance policy. And we know that ER's sister was placed in control of the living trust ER established behind KR's back. While the trust was for the benefit of the chldren, a trustee can also gain financially from it in many ways. Depending on the provisions of the will there may be other beneficiaries as well.

I'm not saying this because I think there's any chance that the business partner or sister or anyone else was involved. Items 1 & 2 are dispositive to me. But I expect that the defense will make this argument at trial (if there is one), so I just wanted to keep the record straight.
I don't think the concerns for item 3 are applicable given the known facts of this case. For example, the partners had mutual life policies where the intent of the death benefit was to buy out the late partner's interest in the business. There would be no unjust enrichment or financial gain as suggested.

I see similar for the Trustee of the Living Trust. While a trustee can also be a beneficiary, I doubt this would be true of ER's sister who I'd be willing to bet was nominated by ER to carry out his wishes -- provide only for his children without compensation -- let alone financial gain. JMO

I feel like since police took a full year before charging her, I believe that they have been investigating to make certain that KR was the only one buying fentanyl in the house. She is the only one changing life insurance policy beneficiaries. She is the only one stealing money from her husband.

I am curious - I do not see any of her family members standing up and defending her.

She lied about using her cell phone the night he died and deleted text messages. She is the one that signed on a house that he said no to the DAY AFTER he died. She is the one that had a party THE DAY AFTER he died! She is the one that told people he died of an aneurism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member