UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s unexpected death last year, May 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What absolute gall! :mad:
Not sure of Utah laws on community property, but in our state, if IRC, if property/assets are held/ acquired before marriage, they are not community property. Would love to hear from someone knowledgeable on this topic.
I believe there are separate documents for the estate case....KR sued the sister (?) that have been out for a while. I guess we'll have to dust them off and get a WS dissection!

This sounds like her attorneys are really worried that she will not have any money to pay them.
I think KR's legal team are fighting the validity of the Trust and how Eric was able to assign his interest in his business (and other assets) to the Trust because this is critical to them since it counters her pre-nuptial agreement of 2013.

According to Court TV, the Trustee (Eric's sister) sold Eric's interest in his business to his business partner for $2M (per the Partnership Agreement). Kouri believes the proceeds of the sale belong to her.

Not sure where this is coming from. According to reports that I posted earlier, the boys are with Eric’s family.
We could reconcile the two ideas? before KR was arrested, the boys were with her. After, they went to Eric's family. That would explain the sister's position on the stand where the boys were not allowed to see Eric's family.

6/15/23

See the full report at news link above...

Conclusion

Kouri claims that she has a right to all of the above assets including the Family Home, the Personal Property, and the Business Interest. Katie Richins, the representative of Eric’s estate, has allegedly taken the position that Kouri has no right to any of these.

This is separate from her claim against the Trust in March 2022 (which is still in process), as well as her claim against the Estate in February 2023 (which was denied by Eric’s sister Katie).

Katie filed a petition to disqualify Kouri from the estate due to homicide, but until Kouri is, or is not, convicted, the motion cannot be granted.

I think KR's legal team are fighting the validity of the Trust and how Eric was able to assign his interest in his business (and other assets) to the Trust because this is critical to them since it counters her pre-nuptial agreement of 2013.

According to Court TV, the Trustee (Eric's sister) sold Eric's interest in his business to his business partner for $2M (per the Partnership Agreement). Kouri believes the proceeds of the sale belong to her.

Of course she does. (Think she's entitled to his share.)

It's the kind of thing she'd kill for.

JMO

Not sure where this is coming from. According to reports that I posted earlier, the boys are with Eric’s family.
Earlier this week I recall a sound bite (I think from ABC4) that commented on the sister's impact statement in court, and followed this stating Eric's family had filed a Petition for Guardianship for the three children but offered no other details. (Can't find the news clip now after more updates on the case replace the old).

IMO, if they filed a petition in family Court, I think it likely that the children were with KR's mother since her arrest on May 8. From the impact statement read in court on Monday, it sounded like Eric's family were unable to see the children.

On this date, I think it possible they have visitation now but I don't know that the petition would be have been granted this soon -- especially if the maternal grandmother also files for Guardianship. Family court is one of the slowest.

I could be wrong-- I didn't see OP's posts or other confirming the children in the custody of Eric's family.

ETA: Tried to look up the petition but privacy law prevents record available on Xchange site.

Utah Code of Judicial Administration 4-202.02 was changed effective April 1, 2012. This change makes some records in some civil court actions private. The actions affected are divorce, separate maintenance, grandparent visitation, temporary separation, adjudication of marriage, civil stalking, guardianship, conservatorship, cohabitant abuse, custody and support, UCCJEA, UIFSA, and paternity.

Last edited:
Earlier this week I recall a sound bite (I think from ABC4) that commented on the sister's impact statement in court, and followed this stating Eric's family had filed a Petition for Guardianship for the three children but offered no other details. (Can't find the news clip now after more updates on the case replace the old).

IMO, if they filed a petition in family Court, I think it likely that the children were with KR's mother since her arrest on May 8. From the impact statement read in court on Monday, it sounded like Eric's family were unable to see the children.

On this date, I think it possible they have visitation now but I don't know that the petition would be have been granted this soon -- especially if the maternal grandmother also files for Guardianship. Family court is one of the slowest.

I could be wrong-- I didn't see OP's posts or other confirming the children in the custody of Eric's family.

ETA: Tried to look up the petition but privacy law prevents record available on Xchange site.

Utah Code of Judicial Administration 4-202.02 was changed effective April 1, 2012. This change makes some records in some civil court actions private. The actions affected are divorce, separate maintenance, grandparent visitation, temporary separation, adjudication of marriage, civil stalking, guardianship, conservatorship, cohabitant abuse, custody and support, UCCJEA, UIFSA, and paternity.
I read they were with ER’s family now. But I don’t recall where I read it. I’ll try to find it.

I read they were with ER’s family now. But I don’t recall where I read it. I’ll try to find it.
In the ABC4 video , she states the boys now appear to be in the custody of ER’s family. ”Appear to be” doesn’t sound too definitive though.

This is from May 19, quoting Attorney for the Richins family Greg Skordas:

[…]
Skordas said Richins' three children are staying with an unnamed relative while their mother awaits trial. Katie Richins-Benson, Eric Richins' sister and the trustee to his estate, filed for guardianship over the children.
[…]

This is from May 19, quoting Attorney for the Richins family Greg Skordas:

[…]
Skordas said Richins' three children are staying with an unnamed relative while their mother awaits trial. Katie Richins-Benson, Eric Richins' sister and the trustee to his estate, filed for guardianship over the children.
[…]

Thanks. I recall a temporary Guardianship in UT can't exceed 6 months so I guess they will keep renewing for as long as the trial date is pending. I don't think they can go for permanent Guardianship until she's convicted.

Also, I think "unnamed relative" is code speak for there's a fight going on for the children. No doubt Kouri wants her mother to be the Guardian and sponge off the Trust (translates to I will use my own mother to keep me in money). JMO

ETA: Similar situation happening in CA with Milette children, and court won't make a permanent guardian decision until after the trial.

Last edited:
#BREAKING: Kouri Richins, a mother accused of murdering her husband with fentanyl before writing a children’s book on grief about the loss, has filed a lawsuit against her late husband’s estate.

Last updated 4:38 PM, June 15, 2023

SUMMIT COUNTY, UTAH (Court TV) – A woman accused of murdering her husband with a lethal dose of fentanyl, then writing a children’s book on grief about the loss, has filed a lawsuit against her late husband’s estate.

Kouri Richins is charged with criminal homicide, aggravated murder and possession of a controlled substance in the 2022 death of her husband, Eric. She has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The lawsuit is filed against Eric’s sister, Katie Richins-Benson, who is the personal representative of Eric’s estate. The lawsuit argues that Kouri has been kept from property that is legally hers, in the wake of her husband’s death. The two largest pieces of property Kouri has claimed ownership of are the proceeds of half of Eric’s business and their family home.
What a piece of work! Good luck getting any of that money Kouri...she is delusional!

MOO

His sister filed for guardianship the same day Kouri was arrested. It was on the court calendar and I found it before it got purged off the the site. I didn't include the part where her name is.

Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 5.01.27 PM.png

Last edited:
It was purged from the site? Do we know why?

It's purged every 2 weeks. I think I posted the wrong link, below is the correct one. I just happened to catch it in the Case Filings Report. The report I downloaded is called Week_20-Filing_Report-2023 and weeks 23 and 24 are the only ones available now.

She is the mover and shaker behind bars if I've ever seen one. :rolleyes:

Updated: Jun 15, 2023 / 09:41 PM MDT

KAMAS, Utah (ABC4) — Kouri Richins, charged with the murder of her husband, has filed a civil lawsuit against his estate claiming she deserves money outlined in their prenuptial agreement.

Kouri Richins, 33, is in the Summit County Jail for allegedly murdering her husband, Eric Richins, 39, by giving him a fatal dose of fentanyl. A petition filed by Eric’s sister alleges that Kouri had financial motives for killing her husband.

On June 9, Kouri filed a civil lawsuit against Eric’s estate, alleging she deserves several monetary and/or physical assets according to their prenup.

According to court documents, Kouri and Eric signed a prenup on June 15, 2013, that outlined several financial agreements for their marriage, which included the following:

Conclusion

Kouri claims that she has a right to all of the above assets including the Family Home, the Personal Property, and the Business Interest. Katie Richins, the representative of Eric’s estate, has allegedly taken the position that Kouri has no right to any of these.

This is separate from her claim against the Trust in March 2022 (which is still in process), as well as her claim against the Estate in February 2023 (which was denied by Eric’s sister Katie).

Katie filed a petition to disqualify Kouri from the estate due to homicide, but until Kouri is, or is not, convicted, the motion cannot be granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper