UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s unexpected death last year, May 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think KR's legal team are fighting the validity of the Trust and how Eric was able to assign his interest in his business (and other assets) to the Trust because this is critical to them since it counters her pre-nuptial agreement of 2013.

According to Court TV, the Trustee (Eric's sister) sold Eric's interest in his business to his business partner for $2M (per the Partnership Agreement). Kouri believes the proceeds of the sale belong to her.

I’ve wondered about that too. Assume he had lawyers doing this, but wouldn’t everyone do this if their marriage was headed south and they had a prenuptial?

#BREAKING: Kouri Richins, a mother accused of murdering her husband with fentanyl before writing a children’s book on grief about the loss, has filed a lawsuit against her late husband’s estate.

Last updated 4:38 PM, June 15, 2023

SUMMIT COUNTY, UTAH (Court TV) – A woman accused of murdering her husband with a lethal dose of fentanyl, then writing a children’s book on grief about the loss, has filed a lawsuit against her late husband’s estate.

Kouri Richins is charged with criminal homicide, aggravated murder and possession of a controlled substance in the 2022 death of her husband, Eric. She has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The lawsuit is filed against Eric’s sister, Katie Richins-Benson, who is the personal representative of Eric’s estate. The lawsuit argues that Kouri has been kept from property that is legally hers, in the wake of her husband’s death. The two largest pieces of property Kouri has claimed ownership of are the proceeds of half of Eric’s business and their family home.
This woman knows no bounds. A rational person would perhaps put all her energy into beating the murder charges first, and then go after his money if she’s found not guilty. I can’t imagine a judge will make a ruling on this when she’s currently being tried for killing the man that would grant her access to that money. :rolleyes:

This woman knows no bounds. A rational person would perhaps put all her energy into beating the murder charges first, and then go after his money if she’s found not guilty. I can’t imagine a judge will make a ruling on this when she’s currently being tried for killing the man that would grant her access to that money. :rolleyes:

The crazy thing is she already filed a very similar lawsuit March 28, 2022 and it got stayed the end of last month due to the murder case. So instead of letting it lie, she has her attorneys file a new case. It's like she can't stop.

I bet she's driving her attorneys nuts. I won't be surprised if we see some changes in her legal team because they've been dealing with this for a year. The docket for the March 2022 case has 432 entries and that's just one of the NINE cases she's named in :eek: :eek:

The crazy thing is she already filed a very similar lawsuit March 28, 2022 and it got stayed the end of last month due to the murder case. So instead of letting it lie, she has her attorneys file a new case. It's like she can't stop.

I bet she's driving her attorneys nuts. I won't be surprised if we see some changes in her legal team because they've been dealing with this for a year. The docket for the March 2022 case has 432 entries and that's just one of the NINE cases she's named in :eek: :eek:

What are the other 8 cases about?

Fraud? Bankruptcy?

Couple of frauds, the murder case, 2 non-payment of taxes, guardianship and 3 over the estate matters. Also in default on at least 3 properties. She's not wealthy when you take into consideration the debt and attorney fees. I can't see this going well for her. Do they even have public defenders for civil matters?

You're saying that it's basically a re-run of the estate case filed before?

That explains my sneaking sense of déjà vu, as in, "haven't we seen this before?" Because, yes, we have!

I've been wondering how long KR's murder defense attorney is going to last... If KR keeps arguing with her and whining, and she has no prospects for any kind of funding, IMO the attorney might balk at continuing.

Couple of frauds, the murder case, 2 non-payment of taxes, guardianship and 3 over the estate matters. Also in default on at least 3 properties. She's not wealthy when you take into consideration the debt and attorney fees. I can't see this going well for her. Do they even have public defenders for civil matters?
Re: default on property payments, I think they would have to resort to getting judgments against her. The way I understand it is, she would never be able to have any properties in her name or the judgments would attach. At least that’s how it is in my state. I only know because I have a family member (now deceased) who was in that position until the day he died. Because of that, he put any property in another relatives name.

Re: default on property payments, I think they would have to resort to getting judgments against her. The way I understand it is, she would never be able to have any properties in her name or the judgments would attach. At least that’s how it is in my state. I only know because I have a family member (now deceased) who was in that position until the day he died. Because of that, he put any property in another relatives name.

I bet they would attach to a paycheck too. Wonder if that type of judgment attaches to commissary lol.

bbm [...] The court will meet again in person at noon on Thursday, June 22 for a scheduling conference.

Utah mom Kouri Richins sues deceased husband’s estate | Dan Abrams Live​

6/21/2023
Short video posted on YT 32 minutes ago.

Link to site:

Utah mom Kouri Richins sues deceased husband’s estate​

• Utah mom Kouri Richins is suing her husband's estate, according to reports
  • Richins is accused of killing her husband by slipping fentanyl in his drink
  • Richins wrote a children's book on grief after her husband's death

Thursday, June 22nd:
*Scheduling Conference Hearing (@ 12pm MT) – UT - *Eric Richins (39) poisoned with a lethal dose of fentanyl by wife on Mar. 3, 2022 in Kamas. - *Kouri Darden Richins (33) arrested (5/8/23) & charged (6/5/23) with 2nd degree arraigned aggravated murder & 3 counts of possession of drugs with intent to distribute. Held without bond. Denied bond (6/12/23).
Judge Richard Mrazik presiding. Prosecutor Patricia Cassell & Defense attorney Skye Lazaro.
Following an autopsy, it was determined that Eric died from an overdose of illicit fentanyl. The medical examiner said the amount of fentanyl in his system was approximately five times the lethal dosage. According to the medical examiner, the fentanyl was ingested orally. Prior to Eric’s death, he reportedly took Kouri off of his will & life insurance & put his sister on it. He allegedly told his sister he was looking to get a divorce from Kouri.

6/5/23 Update: First appearance. Prosecutor Patricia Cassell argued the gag order was needed to ensure a fair trial. Third District Court Judge Richard Mrazik denied the motion on Friday, saying it was too broad. Kouri is currently incarcerated. She was initially scheduled to appear in court in May, but the detention hearing was moved to June 12 after new court filings provided a more detailed timeline of the alleged marital troubles between the couple. The court agreed to let Kouri appear in civilian clothes without restraints for all proceedings. Other court filings show prosecutors intend to call Matt Throckmorton, a forensic document examiner, Brooke Karrington, the principal of Karrington Financial Forensics & Christopher Kotrodimos, a private investigator & former homicide detective who will assist with analyzing cell phone-related data, as expert witnesses.
6/9/23: Defense attorney Skye Lazaro has filed a motion to set conditions for her release ahead of a detention hearing scheduled on Monday, but Summit County prosecutors argue Kouri Richins should be held without bail until the trial. State's Bench brief re detention hearing (on 6/12/23) to continue to detain the defendant without preconviction bail. Substantial evidence exists to support the charge of aggravated murder. Filed by Patricia Cassell, Summit County attorney. Another of Eric’s sisters has been designated as the victim representative. She has requested to be heard at the Monday detention hearing re bond on 6/12/23.
6/12/23 Update: State called 3 witnesses. Lead detective in the investigation Summit County Sheriff's Detective Jeff O'Driscoll. Christopher Kotrodimos, a private investigator with M20 Solutions. He evaluated digital evidence in the case. Brooke Karrington, a financial forensics expert. Victim impact statement from Amy Richins, Eric's sister. She says his "life was taken in a senseless act of poisoning." Amy pleads with the judge to not release Richins on bail, using "fraudulent" life insurance money. She says she will be afraid of her life & also the lives of Eric's 3 sons. "Our family has already suffered enough." Defense will not call any witnesses. They previously filed a brief with the court. Attorney Skye Lazaro did make closing statements. Judge said there is motive in this case & there is evidence that a jury could "reasonably infer consciousness of guilt." Judge has DENIED a request from Richins to be released on bail during pretrial process due to severity of charges & potential penalties & the evidence against her. Next scheduling conference hearing on 6/22/23 @ 12pm.
for more info see post #164 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...cted-death-last-year-may-2023-2.680663/page-9

6/15/23 Update: Kouri Richins has filed a lawsuit against her late husband’s estate. The lawsuit is filed against Eric’s sister, Katie Richins-Benson, who is the personal representative of Eric’s estate. The lawsuit argues that Kouri has been kept from property that is legally hers, in the wake of her husband’s death. The two largest pieces of property Kouri has claimed ownership of are the proceeds of half of Eric’s business & their family home.
6/15/23 Update: Kouri claims that she has a right to all of the above assets including the Family Home, the Personal Property & the Business Interest. Katie Richins, the representative of Eric’s estate, has allegedly taken the position that Kouri has no right to any of these. This is separate from her claim against the Trust in March 2022 (which is still in process), as well as her claim against the Estate in February 2023 (which was denied by Eric’s sister Katie). Katie filed a petition to disqualify Kouri from the estate due to homicide, but until Kouri is, or is not, convicted, the motion cannot be granted.

Thank you, @Niner :)

Kouri Richins could still appeal for bail, though she only has a 30-day window to file the appeal.

The court will meet again in person at noon on Thursday, June 22 for a scheduling conference.

Updated 6/14/2023

Notably, prosecutors cited something Kouri Richins allegedly said about Katie Richins-Benson in a recorded jailhouse call as proof she remained a danger undeserving of bail.

“[T]he State is in possession of an audio recording from the Summit County Jail where the Defendant is discussing with her family about the State’s need to prove that the Defendant is a danger to the community,” the motion said. “During the conversation, Defendant’s mother suggests that the only person Defendant is a danger to is Katie [Richins-Benson], Eric Richins’ sister and trustee. Defendant responded, ‘Yeah, ha, ha.'”

Jun 21st, 2023, 12:40 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member