UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s unexpected death last year, May 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before you "walk the dog" if you have the time, its worth the read. Some of it may be from the redundancy department, but "are you with me?" Thought it was informative, y'all. imo.

Published September 18, 2023 at 10:06 AM MDT

The entire motion in this article is worth a read IMO, and it makes Skye look inept.

Eeeek! There are 3 letters! On consecutive days.

Letter #1 from another inmate to the Defendant, but read by the Defendant in a call to mom.
Letter #2 letter to mom of several pages, that was held up in a video call so it could be read by viewer or photo-ed, but not read aloud.
Letter #3, found when the cell was tossed in the search for Letter #2. This is the Walk the Dog letter.

Followed by KR's call with her mother then next day saying the Walk the Dog letter was a novel she was writing.
:D:D :rolleyes:

So her fictional attorney from her contemplated book about being in a Mexican prison for searching high and low all over Mexico for fictional drugs is named Skye? Sorry but this just takes the whole proverbial cake. I cannot stop laughing.

But on a more serious note, that argument is embarrassing and causes me to question the competency of Ms. Richins attorney.

:D:D :rolleyes:

So her fictional attorney from her contemplated book about being in a Mexican prison for searching high and low all over Mexico for fictional drugs is named Skye? Sorry but this just takes the whole proverbial cake. I cannot stop laughing.

But on a more serious note, that argument is embarrassing and causes me to question the competency of Ms. Richins attorney.
I'm curious if in her next filing Lazaro will echo Kouri's claim that the letter was actually part of a novel. Or if she will be able to convince her client that it's just a bridge too far in terms of believability.

I'm curious if in her next filing Lazaro will echo Kouri's claim that the letter was actually part of a novel. Or if she will be able to convince her client that it's just a bridge too far in terms of believability.
Bridge too far? Kouri built that bridge.

I wonder how long until she requests a new attorney. Then how long until she represents herself. IMO she's just this side of cartwheels in the courtroom.

JArias. SPapini.

So full of herself she needs first-, second-, and third-person to contain herself.

Meanwhile the children lost their father and their mother is a monster with a manicure.

Awful, awful, awful. Capitalizing at every turn. Gross.

JMO

Last edited:
Bridge too far? Kouri built that bridge.

I wonder how long until she requests a new attorney. Then how long until she represents herself. IMO she's just this side of cartwheels in the courtroom.

JArias. SPapini.

So full of herself she needs first-, second-, and third-person to contain herself.

Meanwhile the children lost their father and their mother is a monster with a manicure.

Awful, awful, awful. Capitalizing at every turn. Gross.

JMO
Well, Kouri does have a study guide for the LSAT.

Never-- Lazaro is no fool!

The night of Sept 15, Lazaro filed a response to the State's Sept 14 allegations and stuck to the letter of the law (please save the idiot untruths for KR).

Given that, there were multiple letters and letter #1 (the inmate letter) is allegedly missing, SL is sticking to the letter shared on the public docket was inside an envelope with counsel's name on it -- making the search illegal, and hoping to strike the letter from evidence. MOO

Releasing the letter taints the jury pool, defense says​

The night of Sept. 15, Lazaro filed a response, accusing prosecutors of violating the same gag order they asked the court to impose. The defense attorney objected to the state filing the Sept. 14 letter on the public case docket.

"This filing was the logical equivalent of sending directly to the media or posting it online," the defense wrote.

The defense said the letter was inside of an envelope marked "Skye Lazaro (Attorney privilege)" and searching that envelope was "potentially illegal."

[..]

Lazaro disputed the allegations of witness tampering, saying Lisa never received the letter and there's no evidence the other letter was destroyed, or even had anything illegal written on it in the first place.

Instead, she claims prosecutors made the letter public to influence public opinion.

She said the state has repeatedly disregarded Kouri's privacy by filing documents publicly with her social security number and other sensitive information.

The defense motioned for the court to enforce the partial gag order, which instructed attorneys in the case to abide by the rules of professional conduct.

Lazaro said she would like the state held in contempt of court and for Third District Court Judge Richard Mrazik to impose sanctions. That may include striking the letter found in Kouri's jail cell from the docket or making it private.

I love the State's arguments in response to Lazaro's motion.

Particularly these strong arguments:

The Court should deny the Defendant’s Motion to Enforce Order and For Contempt Sanctions. The Motion is a “fire, aim, ready” reaction to the Defendant’s misconduct in jail. The Motion contains factual errors and legal misunderstandings, rendering it unpersuasive at best.

The State Did Not Violate the Court’s Gag Order
The Court’s narrowly tailored gag order applies to “extrajudicial statements.” The State has not made any extrajudicial statements. The Walk the Dog Letter is an Exhibit to the State’s Motion for No Contact Order. This is the very definition of a judicial statement. This Court has been very clear that all issues in this proceeding will and shall be conducted transparently and with an associated public record. The Walk the Dog Letter is an exhibit, and a material one, which provides critical justification for the State’s request for relief.

As a footnote, the Motion also suggests that the State violated the Court’s gag order because filing the Walk the Dog Letter “disregarded the parties’ stipulation to produce documents in a specific, orderly and formal manner.” It is difficult to imagine a production that is more specific, orderly and formal than a judicial filing.

The Defendant asserts that the Walk the Dog Letter is a privileged attorney-client communication because “upon information and belief” a Sheriff’s Deputy recovered it from an envelope that was labeled “Skye Lazaro (Attorney Privileged).” A Sheriff’s Deputy in fact recovered the letter from the Defendant’s LSAT prep book. Since the Motion to Enforce Order and for Contempt was filed, the Defendant has characterized the Walk the Dog Letter as a work of her own fiction writing, not a letter to her lawyer.

Regardless, hiding a non-privileged communication in an envelope labeled “privileged” does not magically transform it into a privileged communication. If it did, such envelopes would quickly be converted to devices for circumventing jail safety rules. Moreover, as the Motion recognizes, Sheriff’s Deputies are allowed to inspect the Defendant’s legal envelope to determine whether she is using it to hide contraband. The Walk the Dog Letter is evidence of a crime, which is classic contraband.

The Walk the Dog Letter is not a privileged attorney-client communication because it speaks directly to the Defendant’s mother and includes passages about the Defendant's attorney (not to the Defendant’s attorney). It’s audience, content, and purpose are readily apparent
– the Defendant is asking her mother to facilitate witness tampering involving her brother, seeking to have her brother support a false factual narrative.

---

Lazaro's motion has no leg to stand on, IMO. And now with KR's admission that she made up the whole thing -- that the contents of the letter are simply a work of fiction -- she's once again cut off her nose to spite her face. And ruined any chance of using the fictional story in her defense at trial. AIN'T LIFE GRAND?

I started watching the Dateline episode a little late, but yup, my impression of her as an evil greedy dingbat stands. The story of her having sold a mold-infested home to a family with young children is both shocking, and yet not at all surprising.

I started watching the Dateline episode a little late, but yup, my impression of her as an evil greedy dingbat stands. The story of her having sold a mold-infested home to a family with young children is both shocking, and yet not at all surprising.

I’m watching but had to step away. What is the status on the house with the mold? Are they in litigation?

Yes they said they are in litigation, suing her. She has denied all of it, of course. They're hoping to get some money to rebuild or repair the house.

What a nightmare for this family. I know someone who went through this, the whole family got sick. Not just respiratory issues, it can create a prolonged state of delirium, migraines, aggression, tics and more. They were ordered to vacate the property immediately.

Here's the story of the people who bought the moldy house

And just when I thought I knew what an unscrupulous, greedy, person she is, it seems to get worse with each passing day.

What a nightmare for those poor people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member