UT - Kylen Schulte, 24, & Crystal Beck, 38, newlywed couple found dead, Grand County, 18 Aug 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not just in Moab but at the coffeehouse (presumed to be the coffeehouse attached to the Moonflower Co-op). Brian said on the bodycam video, I believe, that they spent six hours there. Assumption is they were using the wifi. MOO

My understanding of the timeline is that if Kylen got off work an hour and a half before the dispute between Gabby and BL, she’d have been in the store with them for about 4.5 hours. Does anyone know how large the Moonflower is?

It’s hard for me to think there’s anything more to this than coincidence—but it’s certainly a huge coincidence.

Not just in Moab but at the coffeehouse (presumed to be the coffeehouse attached to the Moonflower Co-op). Brian said on the bodycam video, I believe, that they spent six hours there. Assumption is they were using the wifi. MOO

Thanks. I haven't seen the bodycam video yet. Gabby's thread is moving so fast. Will have to watch it later.

If GP and/or BL’s credit card/ApplePay had been used in Moonflower on the last day that KS was working, it could perhaps explain why, one day after the announcement of the discovery of the bodies, GP got her dad to order an Uber Eats to the hotel, rather than get food delivered to a verified location on a card that can be connected to both BL and the Moonflower co-op.

If GP and/or BL’s credit card/ApplePay had been used in Moonflower on the last day that KS was working, it could perhaps explain why, one day after the announcement of the discovery of the bodies, GP got her dad to order an Uber Eats to the hotel, rather than get food delivered to a verified location on a card that can be connected to both BL and the Moonflower co-op.

Just so I follow what you're saying - you think it's possible that BL wanted Gabby's dad to deliver them the Uber Eats meal so there would be less evidence connecting them to the Moonflower Co-op after Kylen and Crystal's bodies were discovered so there would be less suspicion on him? Interesting thought.

Yeah, that’s my (totally speculative!) hunch - although I’ve since learned it was direct from Domino’s app/site rather than Uber Eats, but same principle!

Also not just less suspicion but to try and avoid potentially imminent arrest/a SWAT raid on their room - the bodies had just been discovered, he may well have been panicking that he was already a suspect after the DV incident/traffic stop and that their purchases were being tracked.

Like many of you, I came to the attention of this case due to Gabby Petito. I also had the suspicion that two cases were not related before it was announced they were not linked.

With that being said, I have so many questions about this case that I do not see answered. I did read the police had questioned one person but let them go. Was this the possible creepy guy they referenced? Was the creepy guy's campsite found and processed? Did they give any possible description of the creepy guy? So many questions here and not much media coverage until Gabby Petito.

Also, anyone getting Delphi murderer vibes from this case?

I think I'm the only person who found out about Gabby's case from Kylen and Crystal's case.

I wish there was more detail from LE about the guy who was questioned and why they are so sure they're not connected.

I think if the cases were related there’d be a better chance of Kylen and Crystals being solved. At this point it just seems like there are no leads. Unless the statement “no threat to the public” was because someone is in custody on unrelated charges and they’re building a case.

There's a new article on Kylen and Crystal from Fox News. There's not too much new, but the friend who recovered Kylen's body and was the one who the ladies told at the tavern about the creepy guy, was interviewed. She stated that she found Kylen's body in a creek, partly nude, shot multiple times, with her arm and legs bent at an unnatural angle. She did not see Crystal's body at that time. When this friend came across the scene, she immediately called LE and stopped her search for Crystal, because she was worried the couple's killer/s may still be in the area. (Not mentioned in this article, but she was on the phone speaking to Kylen's father during her search and when she stumbled upon Kylen's body - Kylen's father advised her to flee the scene because he was also worried about her safety.) This friend indicated that, at the time she found Kylen's body, she had an intuitive feeling that Crystal's body would be located south of Kylen's and have been more brutalized than Kylen's. The article does not indicate if her intuition was correct. We know both women were found partly nude and shot multiple times.

Article: Moab murders: What happened to Crystal Turner and Kylen Schulte after Aug. 13?
The article also mentions the Gabby Petito case. I will be honest, I do wish Crystal and Kylen got their own news coverage without attempts to draw at a connection between their case and Gabby's.

There's a new article on Kylen and Crystal from Fox News. There's not too much new, but the friend who recovered Kylen's body and was the one who the ladies told at the tavern about the creepy guy, was interviewed. She stated that she found Kylen's body in a creek, partly nude, shot multiple times, with her arm and legs bent at an unnatural angle. She did not see Crystal's body at that time. When this friend came across the scene, she immediately called LE and stopped her search for Crystal, because she was worried the couple's killer/s may still be in the area. (Not mentioned in this article, but she was on the phone speaking to Kylen's father during her search and when she stumbled upon Kylen's body - Kylen's father advised her to flee the scene because he was also worried about her safety.) This friend indicated that, at the time she found Kylen's body, she had an intuitive feeling that Crystal's body would be located south of Kylen's and have been more brutalized than Kylen's. The article does not indicate if her intuition was correct. We know both women were found partly nude and shot multiple times.

Article: Moab murders: What happened to Crystal Turner and Kylen Schulte after Aug. 13?
The article also mentions the Gabby Petito case. I will be honest, I do wish Crystal and Kylen got their own news coverage without attempts to draw at a connection between their case and Gabby's.
That poor woman, how horrifying.

Sadly, there are no new updates to the case, but an article is out from The Salt Lake Tribune: Father searches for clues in Moab, one month after camping newlyweds were killed

There are quotes from Kylen's father, Sean-Paul, during a celebration of the couple's lives where he talked about his relationship with his daughter, Kylen and Crystal's relationship, and how much they loved each other and nature. Sean-Paul was very close with Crystal, and they seemed to have a really healthy and happy relationship. Crystal actually met Kylen and Sean-Paul when they were on a hike and, at that time, they were new residents of Moab and Kylen had been struggling with the transition, but after meeting Crystal, she became much happier, and more relaxed. It makes me so sad to think about how these women's lives were stolen when they were just beginning their lives together. It makes me angry, too.

Maybe I am misinterpeting the information in the above post but it sounds like the bodies of KS and CB were found inside the van not at the campsite. Maybe the article is poorly writen but this would contradict earlier statement that both women were found dead at their campsite.

Yes, I too ran across an article that says they were found in the van:

From "True Crime Daily":

"Investigators reportedly seized the Kia Sorrento that the women were found in, as well as a 1987 Ford Econoline van that was towed from a Moab parking lot, according to KUTV."

Search warrant reveals new details about newlywed couple found shot dead in Utah campsite

IMO With all due respect, "homeless by choice" is not a thing, and homelessness does not mean folks are not participating in the jobs and taxes merry-go-round.

Perhaps a person might choose to live in a van, so they can afford to eat, but IMO choosing food over rent doesn't count as "homeless by choice".

AFAIK both of these women had jobs and were paying taxes. They seem like the kind of people you'd encounter every day as you go about life.

All of us have homeless folks in our orbit without knowing; they are every age, and they are everywhere, including on this forum.

There are people who are homeless by choice. However, it seems unclear whether or not that was the case with these women. They had a camper, yet camped in various places without it.

From what I've read, even their friends weren't clear about it.

IMO, sometimes these situations aren't black and white, inside well-defined lines. And that could be by choice or not.

There are people who are homeless by choice. However, it seems unclear whether or not that was the case with these women. They had a camper, yet camped in various places without it.

From what I've read, even their friends weren't clear about it.

IMO, sometimes these situations aren't black and white, inside well-defined lines. And that could be by choice or not.
I like to think that, ultimately, nearly everyone chooses how they live whether they realize it or not. I don't know how much the way this particular couple arranged their finances might play into their case.

To take the pertinent information we should keep in mind and put it into wilderness terms it seems to me they used the Econoline as their base camp and took the Sorento on expeditions. It would have been 4x4 and capable of going on trails the Econoline would not have.

The Sorento was newer and in good shape. The only picture I found of the Econoline was only of the open passenger door with Crystal sitting in it but it appeared to also be in good shape. Both were uncluttered. The couple seemed to have been maintaining a camp lifestyle just fine for at least some months before they died, maybe longer.

I would have expected them to be gun owners themselves, honestly - and accurate or not that assumption might have had something to do with them being attacked while they were bathing, rather than the sexual aspect most people probably jump to.

I don't think either of their bodies were found in the van, but if they were, it was Crystal's only. As the Fox News article says, Kylen's body was recovered by their friend in a creek. The creek appeared to be in close proximity to the van on La Sal Loop Road.

I would have expected them to be gun owners themselves, honestly - and accurate or not that assumption might have had something to do with them being attacked while they were bathing, rather than the sexual aspect most people probably jump to.

Is there any evidence that they were attacked while bathing or is that just based off past speculation on this thread? They were nude from the waist-down; if they were bathing when attacked, I assume they'd be fully nude. Unfortunately, I think sexual assault is far more likely. (As a side note and unrelated, but the only items of note recovered from the scene were a Bible, paystubs, and marijuana). Part of me wonders if they WERE gun owners and either didn't have it on them, or it was stolen by the killer. Articles said their friends stated the ladies knew how to defend themselves.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back