Found Alive UT - Madelyn Allen, 19, seen leaving Snow College dorm, Ephraim, 13 Dec 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder how devout the family is. Might Madelyn be struggling with questions about her faith? If so, it might not be so easy to escape the consequences of the church, and its rules on obedience.
Perhaps, as a college student, she has become more exposed to other ways of thinking about spirituality.

Wanted to say...young adults brains aren't fully developed and they can do things that seem completely out of character or really impulsive.

I'm thinking of the case of V.B, a 19-year-old college student who disappeared from Sacramento in Oct. 2020. Similar to this case, she was in college, attended church regularly, and was close to her family.

We discussed for quite some time if a 19 y/o could start over across the country (the only clue was she had bought a Greyhound ticket to NYC), and it turns out, she did.

She thought her mother would be upset at her as she had just lost her job at Home Depot (she took the bus that night). She also didn't think anyone was looking for her. It seems extraordinary and very impulsive, but it happened.

I can entirely see a scenario where, with very minimal planning, that Maddie could decide to go somewhere without telling anyone.

Obviously speculative/JMO. Best case scenario.

There is no public transportation in or out of Ephraim. There is no Uber/Lyft. There are no rental cars (not that she'd be old enough) and there are no rental scooters or bikes. Basically you need to have your own car/ATV or you need to catch a ride with someone else.

Eta: I do not know if she knows how to drive

Well, if nothing else that must narrow down the options for investigators. I had a look at Google maps and there’s a whole lot of nothing and nobody between Ephraim and Loa, and more beyond it. Lovely for adventures but terrible for finding lost young women, I’d imagine.

Is it true it was time for Mid-terms and she handn't taken hers yet? We see that often as a trigger for some students to voluntarily step away for awhile, as it is very stressful, especially if having a mental health crisis while trying to prepare for midterms.

It still bugs me as to what she had in that bag. UGH

Was just thinking that her roommates might be able to shed some light on that or offer some possibilities. I’m sure they’ll have been asked.

Her attire puzzles me though. Where did she think she was going to head out dressed that way? Surely she wouldn’t have chosen that outfit if she thought she was going to be outside for any significant length of time, or away from her dorm for any significant length of time? That’s assuming she was making rational choices at all, of course. She may not have been.

Just watched her YT videos and she is adorable. Argh. One thing I noticed is that she mentions Life Launch in one of them.

I don’t want to try and pry too much into her mental health but thought it was worth mentioning because they have several centres within driving distance of Ephraim. It’s also perhaps an opportunity for her to have made connections outside college, church, usual circles etc.

Life Launch Centers - Anxiety & Depression Counseling Clinic

There is no public transportation in or out of Ephraim. There is no Uber/Lyft. There are no rental cars and there are no rental scooters or bikes. Basically you need to have your own car/ATV or you need to catch a ride with someone else.

Oh my, that sounds like stress right there. If you don't have your own car, you're pretty much stuck there 24/7.

You can't even leave the tiny town without relying on someone else. Gulp.

That would induce cabin fever in me. You don't have your own freedom, and that in itself could be a big stress factor. Almost like living in a prison campus.

Missing Snow College student may be facing 'major mental health crisis,' family says

Police Chief Derek Walk was asked if someone might be with Madelyn.

“Everything associated with that would be a speculation but I do hope someone is with her and I hope that they are friendly,” Walk said.

The family has created a Facebook page and Instagram account to help in finding Madelyn.(article contains links)

Information can also be mailed to findmaddieallen@gmail.com.

Anyone with information on Madelyn’s whereabouts its asked to call the Sanpete County Dispatch at 435-835-2345.

I feel so bad for the parents, it's awful, the not knowing and the anguish. I hope they have a lot of support.

As for Maddie facing "major mental health crisis", I expect LE has been told more detail about that.
I don't know the parents or how they raised their daughter. Could this mental health crisis be perceived as such...eg, rebelliousness, differences in opinion of a future, questioning LDS expectations, social media involvement? or... depression issues, increased OCD behavior, possible bipolar tendencies, etc. or god forbid suicidal thoughts?

I hope this sweet young woman's disappearance is due to a crisis that can be resolved, in private, that she is safe somewhere, rather than something nefarious that involves another person with bad intentions.

Oh my, that sounds like stress right there. If you don't have your own car, you're pretty much stuck there 24/7.

You can't even leave the tiny town without relying on someone else. Gulp.

That would induce cabin fever in me. You don't have your own freedom, and that in itself could be a big stress factor. Almost like living in a prison campus.

It's definitely a different experience for some people. Most students adapt alright to it or buy their own cars. There are a lot of makeshift ride boards. People who are going "up north" will post when they're leaving and how many open seats they have, and anyone who needs a ride just sort of signs up and helps with gas. And the town is small enough that you don't need a car to do any daily tasks. All of campus, the medical clinic, the Walmart, the churches, the coffee shops/soda shops, the parks, the gyms, the restaurants, and both movie theaters are in walking distance from anywhere in town. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) is building a temple in Ephraim next year, so students won't even need a ride to the temple in nearby Manti anymore.

Maybe she had toiletries, clean underwear and a nightgown in the bag? It’s really hard to tell.
The bag doesn't really look full to me ( I could be very wrong). It looks like something flat to me ( at first I thought it could have been a sub sandwich honestly). If she were to pack those items, why not use your backpack at least. I have not idea though.

Yes, it's her reflection 100%.
Agree 1000%
It is HER reflection.
I do not see anyone else.

I am curious about what she has in plastic bag.
the tan and white object looks like a purse or clutch of some sort but why put it in a plastic bag ??

Trying to catch up here and maybe you all have already answered this.

I feel so bad for the parents, it's awful, the not knowing and the anguish. I hope they have a lot of support.

As for Maddie facing "major mental health crisis", I expect LE has been told more detail about that.
I don't know the parents or how they raised their daughter. Could this mental health crisis be perceived as such...eg, rebelliousness, differences in opinion of a future, questioning LDS expectations, social media involvement? or... depression issues, increased OCD behavior, possible bipolar tendencies, etc. or god forbid suicidal thoughts?

I hope this sweet young woman's disappearance is due to a crisis that can be resolved, in private, that she is safe somewhere, rather than something nefarious that involves another person with bad intentions.

My hope is that someone already knows where she is or can put together enough clues to find her, and they communicate to her that, no matter what circumstances led to her disappearance, she is loved by her family and community, and everyone wants her back.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firefly64
Back