UT - Parenting influencer, Ruby Franke, and blogger/podcast partner Jodi Hildebrandt, arrested for Child Abuse, Aug 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My assumption was that RF's testimony about the extent of JH's sadistic cruelty will be critical in determining JH's sentence, but I'm not sure about how that works exactly. Maybe RF has already done all her testifying about what transpired as part of her plea deal or perhaps RF will testify on sentencing day (Feb 20, is it?).

The information gleaned from the kids during their interviews surely has been key in corroborating the testimony of RF and JH.

JH went completely off the rails this past summer and didn't bother to try to hide her sadism - she tortured and starved two children.

MOO, She was so deep into her psychopathy that she didn't care where this was going, which was ultimately the death of these two children from starvation and thirst -- I can't see any other outcome if the son hadn't escaped.
Before sentencing, the defendants will be subjected to a pre-sentencing report interview. The probation officer who conducts the interview will issue a pre-sentencing report which will include a narrative and recommendations.

Then, at sentencing, the judge will consider the report, the defendants can make statements, the prosecutor will argue aggravating factors and the defense will argue mitigating factors. I don’t know if in Utah it is an evidentiary hearing at which time people can testify as to the aggravators and mitigators. I think that’s only for capital cases (death penalty). But the mitigators are set:

Mitigating factors​

These are facts of the case that can make the punishment less severe, including:

• whether the offender was exceptionally cooperative with law enforcement;
  • is a good candidate for treatment;
  • has developmental disabilities.

The bottom line is that the benefit of Franke’s deal was that she would testify against Hildebrandt in order to help the state convict Hildebrandt, in exchange for a possible lighter sentence. Now the state doesn’t need that help. Hildebrandt pled guilty. Both defendants are now on the same level when it comes to sentencing. They’ve both pled guilty to the same exact charges (I believe), with no guarantee as to sentence, except that the sentences can be consecutive. Which is rad.

Franke’s deal was she would agree to testify against Hildebrandt in exchange for the possibility of a lighter sentence. But Hildebrandt has already pled guilty so the state doesn’t need Franke to help convict Hildebrandt.

That’s great! They get to have the hatred of each to battle. It’s no longer the comfort of a joint effort to lean on. It’s now a war zone between them. Who will hurt who the most…

Thank you for this explanation, @gitana1! As the This Old House guys say, "Sometimes it pays to consult a professional!"

That’s great! They get to have the hatred of each to battle. It’s no longer the comfort of a joint effort to lean on. It’s now a war zone between them. Who will hurt who the most…
There appears to be only one women's prison in Utah, in Draper, between Salt Lake and Provo, so assuming they will end up in the same place.
Timpanogos Women's Facility

Before sentencing, the defendants will be subjected to a pre-sentencing report interview. The probation officer who conducts the interview will issue a pre-sentencing report which will include a narrative and recommendations.

Then, at sentencing, the judge will consider the report, the defendants can make statements, the prosecutor will argue aggravating factors and the defense will argue mitigating factors. I don’t know if in Utah it is an evidentiary hearing at which time people can testify as to the aggravators and mitigators. I think that’s only for capital cases (death penalty). But the mitigators are set:

Mitigating factors​

These are facts of the case that can make the punishment less severe, including:

• whether the offender was exceptionally cooperative with law enforcement;
  • is a good candidate for treatment;
  • has developmental disabilities.

The bottom line is that the benefit of Franke’s deal was that she would testify against Hildebrandt in order to help the state convict Hildebrandt, in exchange for a possible lighter sentence. Now the state doesn’t need that help. Hildebrandt pled guilty. Both defendants are now on the same level when it comes to sentencing. They’ve both pled guilty to the same exact charges (I believe), with no guarantee as to sentence, except that the sentences can be consecutive. Which is rad.
RF might have been "exceptionally cooperative with law enforcement"? She seems to have been willing to testify against JH.

Thank you for this explanation, @gitana1! As the This Old House guys say, "Sometimes it pays to consult a professional!"

There appears to be only one women's prison in Utah, in Draper, between Salt Lake and Provo, so assuming they will end up in the same place.
Timpanogos Women's Facility
There seems to be a new facility?

RF might have been "exceptionally cooperative with law enforcement"? She seems to have been willing to testify against JH.

She still did the brunt of the abuse and as the mother is certainly more culpable. She is the one holding a child under water for a period of time not JH. I hope they both get at least 15 years each but from the sounds of it won’t be that long unfortunately. Hopefully RF and EF will be of age when she finally gets out so she can not ruin any more of their childhood.

By doing so, she took the benefit of Franke’s plea deal away from her and also made sure she wouldn’t get screwed by Franke’s testimony. Whatever she would have gotten would’ve been worse, I believe. I think she also thought she wasn’t going to let Franke get a deal while she didn’t.

I hope they both get the absolute max. We don’t need to hear all the gory details. We’ve heard more than enough. Thank God those kids don’t have to relive any of that. All I want is for there to be true Justice for those children - stiff sentences - and for child protective services to remain in their lives, ensuring they receive treatment and aren’t abused again, as long as possible.

Please Lord don’t let the father get them. And I hope they get excellent therapists and good homes. Not like what happened to the Turpin kids.

Finally, I truly hope the judge makes sure to make a statement on the record that those kids were be bad. They’re normal. The ones who were bad were Jodi and Ruby.

All of that would equal Justice to me.
Definitely better for the children to avoid a trial but do you think the state avoiding a trial also avoids more damaging publicity about how Jody got into this position as a licensed therapist within the community?

Or, do you see other the other allegations from other victims turning into civil or criminal suits too? ( I haven't followed this case in detail)

She still did the brunt of the abuse and as the mother is certainly more culpable. She is the one holding a child under water for a period of time not JH. I hope they both get at least 15 years each but from the sounds of it won’t be that long unfortunately. Hopefully RF and EF will be of age when she finally gets out so she can not ruin any more of their childhood.
I cannot get over this
I hope her kids never speak to her again
Definitely better for the children to avoid a trial but do you think the state avoiding a trial also avoids more damaging publicity about how Jody got into this position as a licensed therapist within the community?

Or, do you see other the other allegations from other victims turning into civil or criminal suits too? ( I haven't followed this case in detail)
I think the trial would've been preferable. They pled guilty so the kids couldn't describe JUST how awful and deranged things were!!! I hope it turns into civil suits at the very least for others.
<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot get over this
I hope her kids never speak to her again

I think the trial would've been preferable. They pled guilty so the kids couldn't describe JUST how awful and deranged things were!!! I hope it turns into civil suits at the very least for others.
<modsnip>
I don't even understand how somebody like JH could get malpractice insurance but I guess she had/has it? Nor do I understand how she got a licence reinstatement after her previous scandals.
The LifeStar Network is also still doing business.

Alongside of all of the child victims, I cannot imagine how much suffering caused to vulnerable adults by referrals to Jodi H over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
@cottonweaver, thanks for this youtube interview. I watched Jessi H's original interview awhile back; this is even more powerful in its own way. Fortunately, the interviewer was empathetic and allowed Jessi H to tell her story, with only a few comments to guide the narrative in a thoughtful way.

It's obvious that now knowing the specific details of the torture those kids endured has brought back memories of the same horrors she experienced at JH's hand...and knowing that all she endured has been done to those kids...her raw emotions and anguish are apparent.

I truly hope that Jessi H will testify at the sentencing, if she's able or allowed to.

I don't even understand how somebody like JH could get malpractice insurance but I guess she had/has it? Nor do I understand how she got a licence reinstatement after her previous scandals.
The LifeStar Network is also still doing business.

Alongside of all of the child victims, I cannot imagine how much suffering caused to vulnerable adults by referrals to Jodi H over the years.

with the bold - I agree and I hope they are not forgotten in all this. in utah, victims are sometimes viewed as the perps for "rocking the boat" so to speak. ugh.

Great interviewer. And Jessi is such a beautiful and strong person inside and out, idk why she'd keep that last name!! I would not, they are stronger than i am for sure.

it is sickening that jodi has kept letters she forced jessi to write, torturous false letters, through MULTIPLE moves... multiple houses... keeps the letters. as trophies, jessi says, i agree. jodi made jessi run barefoot in the desert for hours. they tried to tell the cops. nothing was done. just absolutely tragic!! none of this had to happen...

with the bold - I agree and I hope they are not forgotten in all this. in utah, victims are sometimes viewed as the perps for "rocking the boat" so to speak. ugh.

Great interviewer. And Jessi is such a beautiful and strong person inside and out, idk why she'd keep that last name!! I would not, they are stronger than i am for sure.

it is sickening that jodi has kept letters she forced jessi to write, torturous false letters, through MULTIPLE moves... multiple houses... keeps the letters. as trophies, jessi says, i agree. jodi made jessi run barefoot in the desert for hours. they tried to tell the cops. nothing was done. just absolutely tragic!! none of this had to happen...
yup, that bit in bold is why I posted the link.

I'd been wondering whether Jodi H had her other 'victims' sign letters or similar which Jodi could later try and use as some kind of ' insurance' in case of future litigation

Last edited:

Interesting question.

I mean the licensing board won’t be in trouble. They don’t know what they don’t know.

But lawsuits!! Hmm. I can definitely see them coming.

Jodi's home is on the market and it is insane o_O

There is a huge amount of superfluous space in that house! I can't imagine what the police thought when they opened the door and began to look for E.

Just looked up the address, Satellite View and Terrain, on google maps. That neighborhood is an "end of the road" neighborhood. It's not easy to get to, you'd have to be going there -- you wouldn't stumble across it.

Last edited:
Jodi's home is on the market and it is insane o_O

What is that with the bank vault looking door? An underground bomb shelter?

(Please excuse my ignorance if this is a common occurrence in the area. I live along the eastern seaboard, where the land is less than 20 feet above sea level. Even basements and storm cellars are exotic and fascinating to me — lol.)

(Please excuse my ignorance if this is a common occurrence in the area. I live along the eastern seaboard, where the land is less than 20 feet above sea level. Even basements and storm cellars are exotic and fascinating to me — lol.)

I think they called it a panic room in the scanner recordings.

I am just watching HTC talk through the photos

I had no idea this property was so huge.
How did she afford this? Any guesses?

ETA: She built it in 2017 according to HTC. Acquired property in 2013.
Lauren said her business was almost an MLM - that's how she afforded this

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members