UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he DID receive help from Daddy, then WHEN would he have made these calls? He had the kids with him the whole time. I have a hard time imaging him having this awkward conversation with SP over a cell phone within earshot of the kids.

If he DID receive help from Daddy, then WHEN would he have made these calls? He had the kids with him the whole time. I have a hard time imaging him having this awkward conversation with SP over a cell phone within earshot of the kids.

He could have easily just stopped the car, and walked a few feet away. The kids wouldn't be able to hear.

The kids wouldn't have to know what was in the package when Josh asked his Dad "what do I do with this package?"
Plus, after midnight and tired from sledding (if it happened), they'd sleep well.

~snipped by me~

Per http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/noframes/21534.shtml on the 2005 Town & Country:

MPG (city) 16
MPG (highway) 23
MPG (combined) 19

Miles on a Tank 342 miles
Tank Size 20.0 gal

That doesn't get ya too far without stopping for at LEAST one refuel!

:thumb: (bbm) And that could be good news! So my mpg wasn't far off (est. based upon approx 25 hwy mpg and 25 gallon tank of my own Ford Windstar).

The bad news must be my math lol :blushing: ie 25 gals x 25 mpg... aw geez, where did I go wrong LOL :doh: ...er, anybody lol? :waitasec:

:parrot:

Dom...? Doc...? Lemon!? Don't look at me that way lol!! Don't y'all leave me hangin out here after humiliating me by exposing my math ineptitude lol...

Ok... fine :snooty: I will retreat to my cage to study multiplication times table. :ashamed:

I beg you, count me out of any Math discussions.

Dom...? Doc...? Lemon!? Don't look at me that way lol!! Don't y'all leave me hangin out here after humiliating me by exposing my math ineptitude lol...

Ok... fine :snooty: I will retreat to my cage to study multiplication times table. :ashamed:

LOL! I have nothing to say about your math dear kiki. :loser: teehee
Your excellent posts more than make up for it.
What I am happy to hear though is how far Josh could have gotten on one tank of gas. Just guestimating some time back I felt that if he were driving even 75% of the time, it would be 3 tanks of gas. Which is great because that would mean 2 fillups. Let's hope LE has asked for video from all gas/convenience businesses within a huge radius for all of Dec. 7.
(fingers crossed)

Do I think SP actually physically aided Josh? Something tells me no. Too selfish and personally risky, even for son, when it comes to helping with a murder. Could he have offered advice, or some type of assistance--oh sure. I think he surely made extended calls to Dad especially after getting new phone. Wonder if Dad got a throwaway phone too so not to be traced. We can only pray that Josh thought turning off phone would be good enough.

:ashamed:
"... 20 x 20 = 400...
ermthink.gif

... 25 x 25 = 625..."

:idea: Hey think I've got it... difference is based upon smaller size (20 vs 25 gal) gas tank in T&C... :dance:
...combined with dal gal's website T&C est uses lower than my est'd highway (I get 25 vs 20 hwy mpg eg)
:genie:

:bananapowerslide:

kiki the parrot

I want to tell you how much I respect your posts and you certainly are the voice of reason. Keep up the good work on Susan's behalf as we all feel compelled to find out what really happened to Susan.

:) I figured you were talking about kilometers.

I pulled out my abacus but you had it figured before I got done.

kiki the parrot

I want to tell you how much I respect your posts and you certainly are the voice of reason. Keep up the good work on Susan's behalf as we all feel compelled to find out what really happened to Susan.

Big, Big SECOND there!!

Is it true that a cell phone will still ping on a tower if it's turned off? Is the only way to avoid pinging to take out the battery like Kiki said? Kiki, I thought if the phone was off, it couldn't trace you. I had no idea.

(I tried to Goggle an answer but couldn't find the exact answer. Who knew about cell phones having a GPS? I learned another new thing today.)

Yes! If I've learned one thing on WS lol, I do know that cell phones w (good) battery and sim card in place continue emitting a ping (to determine and communicate w nearest cell tower) even if simply powered off. These pings can be triangulated, mapped and analyzed (as we've seen on Caylee forum, eg) w amazing accuracy after the fact using info provided by phone carrier/provider service. If battery or sim is removed however, this function is obviously disabled.

Now if JP--and possibly SP--used prepaid (throwaway) cell/s, that is another kettle of worms. You can activate w minimal phony info (from library or other public computer eg) thus subscriber info isn't legit and phone no. unknown and untraceable afaik.

Yes! If I've learned one thing on WS lol, I do know that cell phones w (good) battery and sim card in place continue emitting a ping (to determine and communicate w nearest cell tower) even if simply powered off. These pings can be triangulated, mapped and analyzed (as we've seen on Caylee forum, eg) w amazing accuracy after the fact w info provided by phone carrier/provider service. If actually battery or sim is removed however, this function is obviously disabled.

Now if JP--and possibly SP--used prepaid (throwaway) cell/s, that is another kettle of worms. You can activate w minimal usually phony info (from library or other public computer eg) so subscriber info isn't legit and phone no. not identifiable or traceable afaik.

Thank you and holy cow! I had absolutely no idea. (I can barely add a name to my address book and even that takes me 5 minutes to figure out how I did it before.)

And the reason the cell companies do this is to trace criminals or missing people?

So, how many places around Josh sell disposable cell phones? (I'm not sure where you can by them.) Wouldn't someone who's heard about Susan in the news, remember selling a cell phone on that Monday (if that's when he bought it) or during the first few weeks of December? I wonder how many disposable cell phones are sold daily around there? Not many right? Do you think LE have subpoenaed records of local businesses?

Hummmm, I have to go research places like Walmart and 7-11 to see where to buy them. Thanks for the info! As always, I really enjoy reading your posts!

Oops, sorry. I didn't realize that LE already knew he bought the phone at Walmart. Sorry.... I forgot about Mr. Peterson saying that Josh was bragging about his new phone and clothes.

Could he have been smart enough to have extra gas in containers with him, to avoid having to stop for gas enroute later that evening? Like when he went 'sledding' (or whatever it was that he did), stop by and fill some containers with gas?

If he didn't do that, he could well have paid for any needed fuelups with cash. Unless an attendant would be observant, he could possibly get by without seeming out of the ordinary. Maybe he wore a hat and scarf, covering his face when he went to pay. Edit to add, the attendant may not have even seen what kind of vehicle was driving, either.

Third possibility, could someone have met him with fuel elsewhere to save him from being spotted and recognized?

It still makes no sense, that he was never spotted anywhere in that missing time slot, at least that has been made public. even when he was only an hour from home and local, we have had no reports of it.

Has anyone googled a map of the town they lived in and observed how desolate/populated the next few hours are surrounding that town? I keep meaning to but keep forgetting the name of the city.

Could he have been smart enough to have extra gas in containers with him, to avoid having to stop for gas enroute later that evening? Like when he went 'sledding' (or whatever it was that he did), stop by and fill some containers with gas?

If he didn't do that, he could well have paid for any needed fuelups with cash. Unless an attendant would be observant, he could possibly get by without seeming out of the ordinary. Maybe he wore a hat and scarf, covering his face when he went to pay.

Third possibility, could someone have met him with fuel elsewhere to save him from being spotted and recognized?

It still makes no sense, that he was never spotted anywhere in that missing time slot, at least that has been made public. even when he was only an hour from home and local, we have had no reports of it.

Has anyone googled a map of the town they lived in and observed how desolate/populated the next few hours are surrounding that town? I keep meaning to but keep forgetting the name of the city.

West Valley City, UT

WVC is in the populated SLC metro, you don't have to go too far, however, to get desolate.

Check Google Maps for "Simpson Springs, UT" (the campground on the Pony Express Trail). There is desolation.

12:30am Monday morning is pretty quiet on the roads, and that style mini-van is pretty common, its not really going to register in anyone's memory. The fueling range is pretty long, so there are way too many gas stations in that radius to ever look at all the security cameras. There are a lot of cameras on freeways, may be worth checking those to see the car go by according to his stated timeline...not sure how well they see individual vehicles at night.

http://www.utahcommuterlink.com/

WVC is in the populated SLC metro, you don't have to go too far, however, to get desolate.

Check Google Maps for "Simpson Springs, UT" (the campground on the Pony Express Trail). There is desolation.

12:30am Monday morning is pretty quiet on the roads, and that style mini-van is pretty common, its not really going to register in anyone's memory. The fueling range is pretty long, so there are way too many gas stations in that radius to ever look at all the security cameras. There are a lot of cameras on freeways, may be worth checking those to see the car go by according to his stated timeline...not sure how well they see individual vehicles at night.

http://www.utahcommuterlink.com/

Thanks for that info (bolded above). I imagine it was hard for anyone to notice them in the wee hours of the morning; but you'd think during the day. But a common van would not help that, either.

I woner if any of the gas stations are voluntarily setting aside video or reviewed video from that night to see if he came to their stations? IF I owned one I know I would.

Interesting about the camera's on the highways. I hadn't heard about that, only the ones at intersections to ticket the ones who drive through red lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back