UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IOW there's never been a question of WHETHER JP used a generator!! We know obviously Joshy DID use a generator... or wouldn't have made such a point of mentioning IMO.

:parrot:

ITA w bold fairy, regardless of SP was in on a plan or whether there was any plan at all this would have been his first move IMO. If JP didn't think to do so himself tho I believe the first instructions from SP would've been to get off the traceable cells... and any further (or incriminating) discussion likely took place on disposable phones IMO.

If SP's involvement can/could proven--would be extra sweet.
Accessory after the fact/and conspiracy.
The world would be rid of 2 sociopaths for awhile

Have also wondered if Josh didn't give the kids a little help sleeping. Although I would think Benedryl instead of NyQuil. Tastes better, and does the same. Have always wished they had drug tested the boys in that first day or two. I suppose there was no way to legally do it.

It would also depend on the child and how sensitive they are to meds. Benadryl never affected my kids the few times they used it, nor did it make them sleepy, thus my guestimate of NyQuil.

True, probly no way to legally test them without just cause. I just can't imagine the kids sleeping through all that ruckus, is all. As with so much already, its purely speculation at best.

JOSH DID NOT DISPOSE OF GENERATOR. If most recent, previous posts were read, (bump, bbm)

No doubt a large duffel, and equipment, could have easily been loaded into their van under the pretense of telling the boys they were going "camping." No question in my mind either that the generator served a purpose.

A generator could have supplied the power for an ice auger which could have been used to bore a hole through the ice and a weighted body put beneath the layer of ice... just thinking about it gives me shivers and icy chills. From what research I've now done on ice fishing etc it seems auger would be a superefficient, relatively inexpensive way to accomplish this. They can be rented or perhaps he owned one as they're available sometimes from landscape supplies. Maybe an earth auger/post hole auger would serve? Any auger can be connected to source of power such as a generator, and frankly I was shocked at how portable, affordable ($300+) and efficient these are and as I said, he may have had something already in his shed.

Drilling thru thick ice (thicker than 12") requires heavy energy load thus the need for generator. In demos below, the man cuts thru this extremely thick ice in under five minutes. Yes, ice fishing requires only a small (8-10") hole, smaller than would be required, eg to permit a (weighted) body to be lowered down into the water. But I also learned that, depending upon amperage draw off generator, you can drill 40 (8" or 10") holes eg w three gallons of gas :eek:

Check out these and other beginner ice fishing mini-videos... notice in demo at no time in any demo does the guy wear gloves--so as to not lose his grip regardless of what tool he is using. And when he explains how these holes must be "skimmed" (to remove snow or ice which falls into and fills the hole you create) I wondered if maybe Joshy didn't have a skimmer--so his hands became frostbitten attempting to do this task by hand?

I've now learned everything I ever wanted to know about cutting thru ice. It's giving me the willies to be honest. He could easily have disposed of (returned?) an auger before returning home once called and alerted by LE. Did SP perhaps bring one to their meeting spot? (While I firmly believe landscaping familiarity w earth auger/posthole digger is all that would have been necessary, I am nevertheless curious whether perhaps anyone in the family ever had ice fished eg.) I find it interesting that generator itself was never disposed of--too cheap? Too cocky? Does this surprise us? Had to explain noise boys overheard? Unlike power augers, these generators can be spendy! Maybe he thought w/out auger, no one would be the wiser re generator--and thought his "testing" excuse would enable him to keep it. I mean a wife is one thing, but sure hate to throw away a nice generator :rolleyes:

Just tossing some ideas out here. Is anyone else getting a really bad feeling about this? JMO

http://www.ehow.com/video_4954991_cutting-ice-fishing-hole-power.html?pid=1&cp=1

http://www.ehow.com/video_4954989_cutting-ice-fishing-hole-hand.htmlhttp://www.strikemaster.com/power.html

Hi folks. I had an idea when JPs generator remark was reported that it would make a good power source. I do not think this kind of work could be accomplished with the kids there, so then the question is where were they in that case? Since then, someone has mentioned the generator box as a container, and I keep thinking this would make a good story if the kids saw a large item loaded in back of the van ?

IOW there's never been a question of WHETHER JP used a generator!! We know obviously Joshy DID use a generator... or wouldn't have made such a point of mentioning IMO.

Wasn't trying to imply he used 'no' generator. Was trying point out that maybe it wasn't 'new' the way he claimed it was, is all. Imo, just because he mentioned it, doesn't make it so, considering the lies he's told already.

"PercyVeer" (I just got it, lol :doh:) As I've stated, JP could obviously have loaded the van (rear cargo area isn't even visible to front row of seating where boys would have ridden) before caryying the (likely sleeping) boys. And if you watch the ice auger demo it took him 3 mins. to bore a 10" hole in the ice! You can do this 40 TIMES w 3 gallons of fuel eg. I have no idea whether he would have had an electric powered auger, used a gas generator or what... but none of this is any problem either IMO. I want local LANDSCAPING supplies checked to see whether Josh ever purchased such an item--or borrowed one from TimP eg. TimP will also be an EXCELLENT source of info re this as it's almost CERTAIN they required the use of an earth auger (bits for which can be easily switched) for the playset posthole digging. JMO

It's good that everybody is throwing out ideas. Sometimes I just have to run my thoughts by the smart people at WS.

See, I'm just not sure Susan ever got a chance to confront him after he took the boys sledding. It depends on whether you believe he did drug her enough at dinner that she was totally out upon their return.

The question would be how planned was this. Did he premeditate to kill her that night; or was it unexpected due to a last big fight they had?

Maybe he knew when he left to take the boys sledding that there would be a dead Susan problem later, so when he was out from the time Jovanna left their house until around 8:30 pm he was also able to pick up supplies he'd need for the "camping trip". Did he go into the shed that night? Who's to say, maybe he gave the boys some kids medicine to make them sleep through the night. Anything is possible.

kiki, that post hole digger picture and your info is great. Josh seems like a bumbling idiot. I don't know if he's really that clever. Remember, he probably triggered the car alarm going off earlier, I'm wondering if he could ever pull off drilling through ice.

Is interest in finding Susan waning? I certainly hope not.

From what TimP reports, I am convinced JP's hands were frostbitten--and IMO it was from prolonged exposure entailed in scenario described above.

I believe he was outdoors, either w/out wearing gloves or w WET gloves, for an extended length of time.

After further researching, I now know there are "Earth/Ice augers" which "convert into a powerful ice auger for year-round use - drills through snow and ice quickly!" :rolleyes:

Omg :eek: any augers or similar tools missing from the shed? :confused:

Perhaps the sort used in installing playset (which TimP kindly constructed) for the children eg? :waitasec:

I shudder to think but the more I learn, I believe it highly likely JP had a tool to "get the job done." :( JMO

I don't mean to sound dumb but could he have used a chain saw to start a hole in the ice? Most of us have those in the garage/shed. He could have explained the noise to the boys by saying that he needed to go cut some wood for the fire to make s'mores?

I HATE the idea that he may have done that to her. Don't some ice fisherman use the same holes that others have already made? (I guess if you can see them through the snow) If someone uses the hole he made, then she may be found sooner than spring. Poor Susan.

It's good that everybody is throwing out ideas. Sometimes I just have to run my thoughts by the smart people at WS.

See, I'm just not sure Susan ever got a chance to confront him after he took the boys sledding. It depends on whether you believe he did drug her enough at dinner that she was totally out upon their return.

The question would be how planned was this. Did he premeditate to kill her that night; or was it unexpected due to a last big fight they had?

Maybe he knew when he left to take the boys sledding that there would be a dead Susan problem later, so when he was out from the time Jovanna left their house until around 8:30 pm he was also able to pick up supplies he'd need for the "camping trip". Did he go into the shed that night? Who's to say, maybe he gave the boys some kids medicine to make them sleep through the night. Anything is possible.

kiki, that post hole digger picture and your info is great. Josh seems like a bumbling idiot. I don't know if he's really that clever. Remember, he probably triggered the car alarm going off earlier, I'm wondering if he could ever pull off drilling through ice.

Is interest in finding Susan waning? I certainly hope not.

Hey curious :) You know I might tend to agree if this were completely foreign to him--ie if not for the fact JP reportedly has worked in or had familiarity w landscape but more importantly a playset was recently installed in their yard. IOW JP would have needed same equipment for that purpose. And while Josh may strike some as "mouthbreather" (their word not mine), IMO that doesn't mean he had never used an auger before.

You know how people can be very non-functioning even unintelligent or uneducated in some areas, yet still quite proficient in others? We just don't know what his experience might have been--nor if someone possibly helped him.

I pray people aren't abandoning hope of finding Susan--her two little boys, and her parents, deserve that much. In the meantime, I am praying for an arrest tho, which can at least hopefully begin the process of getting her boys into safe hands! :prayer:
JMO

I don't mean to sound dumb but could he have used a chain saw to start a hole in the ice? Most of us have those in the garage/shed. He could have explained the noise to the boys by saying that he needed to go cut some wood for the fire to make s'mores?

I HATE the idea that he may have done that to her. Don't some ice fisherman use the same holes that others have already made? (I guess if you can see them through the snow) If someone uses the hole he made, then she may be found sooner than spring. Poor Susan.

Great idea, Breathe! Much lighter and so much easier to transport than an auger and a generator. He still would have been exposed enough to get frostbitten. I have been sitting here mulling the coordination of a heavy generator and an auger.

How far would he have had to schlep the generator from the car to the dig sight?
How far would he have had to schlep the auger from the car to the dig site.

Then there is the schlepping of both items back to the van after he was done with the disposal.

Course, if he had the van and generator in one area, he'd still need considerable cordage for power to drill through the ice. Can't imagine it was cold enough the ice would've been thick enough to support a van, is where I'm going with this.

There is also a possiblity he lied and said 'generator' when indeed all he really had was just a gas powered auger, or perhaps even a chainsaw. Maybe he thought mentioning a generator in this kind of weather outdoors is 'general' enough of an excuse to not raise suspicion (generator tied in to power outage and so on), whereas au auger might be more quickly connected to his ill deeds. And a chain saw could just as easily be used, I would imagine.

For me, I take what he says with a grain of salt; I keep remembering that Jovanna said Susan wasn't feeling well and went to lie down. When Josh returned with the rental and the reporter went to him as he got out of the car, he said in that interview that, no, Susan was not ill and that she was feeling fine. Its really hard to know what, if anything, he's been truthful about.

Againk, he's not a bright bulb.

FYI - They reached 42,000 people on Facebook last night. Today the count is at 42,100. Let's hope the word keeps getting out about Susan and it may trigger a memory/sighting of Josh. She needs to come home.

Yes there are lots of options here--including lightweight (15#) very portable augers, my point is first that I believe the generator was not a random coincidence and second, that there are garden variety tools and equipment which could easily--w a minimum of effort, familiarity, and no ice-fishing experience-- have served the purpose of putting her in a lake, even in winter. JMO

Yes there are lots of options here--including lightweight (15#) very portable augers, my point is first that I believe the generator was not a random coincidence and second, that there are garden variety tools and equipment which could easily--w a minimum of effort, familiarity, and no ice-fishing experience-- have served the purpose of putting her in a lake, even in winter. JMO

I have a thought that has been bugging the Dickens outta me; Were the kids on the trips? What about these prior night trips that have been reported? Driving around at 10 degrees with them makes no sense to me. If they were at someone's house, it would give him time to do whatever with augers or etc. What do you think?:waitasec:

I think if the kids were at someone's house, the 4 year old would be able to tell- if and when someone asks him..
and I think she's in a lake or quarry, and maybe the item that was moved from the shed, and hidden from reporter's view was.....an auger!

Does anyone know, has the media made much attempt to interview Josh's mom? Or LE talk to her? I don't remember her first name. There doesn't seem much out there about her, as far as info? :shrugs: I wonder how well (or not well) she and Susan got along, or if Josh even had much contact with her?

The fact that his mom and sister already lived in Utah, was that part of what encouraged them to move to Utah? At least some family would be close by?

I think if the kids were at someone's house, the 4 year old would be able to tell- if and when someone asks him..
and I think she's in a lake or quarry, and maybe the item that was moved from the shed, and hidden from reporter's view was.....an auger!

Do you think LE failed to take that item with them when they searched for evidence? If they searched his van and it wasn't there, where was it from the time he used it to the time he put it back in the shed, only to remove again during the move?

I have a thought that has been bugging the Dickens outta me; Were the kids on the trips? What about these prior night trips that have been reported? Driving around at 10 degrees with them makes no sense to me. If they were at someone's house, it would give him time to do whatever with augers or etc. What do you think?:waitasec:

I agree! Reportedly boys were w JP's sister (in WVC) during the second trip IIRC. And this is a possibility too, as we've speculated, that Susan could have been moved and/or disposed of during second outing w/out the boys, when they would not have presented any problem for JP.

Given speed, and ease w which ice boring can be done (based on 2-min. demo) and that it can be done near shore; and given that boys, especially after a late bedtime, could have easily and comfortably slept thru most of the night and early morning w heat... I still don't think it would have been that difficult w them in tow--given their ages, carseats, snacks and daddy nearby. (Work could all have been accomplished before ever dragging her (actual duffel or w/e she was concealed in) to site. But you are right that the second trip would have made this task even simpler. JMO

JVM is going to be talking to Susan's father on Issues tonight (according to what was said at the beginning of the show).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maia1919