UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the cops just needed to change a battery in a gps they installed on Josh's van the first time they took it.

Maybe LE wised up and just needed to borrow the car to install one of them GPS trackers into the body of the car. That way he can be tracked wherever he goes in town.

Letting him drive the rental car without a tail was... ugh... dumb.

:)

Powell Facebook page temporarily disappears, reappears
Online » It has more than 45K members, is designed to help in search for missing mother.

By Melinda Rogers

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 01/30/2010 11:10:12 PM MST

A Facebook page devoted to the case of missing West Valley City mother Susan Powell temporarily disappeared Friday, frustrating family members and friends who rely on the social networking Web site to spread public awareness about the search for the 28-year-old woman.

and

Barry Schnitt, a director of policy communications for Facebook, said the page was temporarily inaccessible due to a technical issue.

"The group was not taken down by Facebook admins, and there's no evidence of any security breach. We have restored the group and been in touch with the adminstrators," Schnitt said in an e-mail.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14302774

bolding mine

IMO, Doc, they're old enough and well educated enough to know better.

What makes me so sad and outraged is that it was Susan who was the devoted, selfless member of the Mormon Church - certainly NOT Josh!

It's Susan who should have all the friends' fierce loyalty and unlimited support. At this point, Josh should have none!

Apparently Josh's maleness is enough to warrant his worthiness. Is there a better explanation?

And according to one of his ward friend's statements, (paraphrased) "No matter if Josh had some involvement in Susan's disappearance, he's still really hurting an deserves some help." _ :waitasec: _ How twisted is that?

If I hear one more time that neighbors, etc., are befriending Josh to keep the children accessible to Chuck and Judy Cox, I'll scream. Josh has already refused the Cox grandparents access to the boys - even on the boys' birthdays. Can it get much worse than it already is? Can friends control Josh's selfish behavior 850 miles away?

In the meantime, Josh goes on his merry way with NO ONE putting pressure on him to cooperate with the police. No one is even questioning him because poor, wimpy Joshy-boy doesn't like to talk about Susan.

Maybe if Josh was finally treated like the murdering pariah that he is, he might inadvertently slip with some truth that might allow Susan to be found.

I don't expect that he will ever cooperate or confess to anything. The best we can hope for is an accidental helpful goof-up on his part.

Patting his head and kissing his behind won't accomplish anything for Susan's sake.

imho

Well blazing needles grandma, I couldn't agree more. JMO2

:parrot:

I am told that Josh made his own lease because it is not a normal lease. They have certain provisions in it such as, if Susan comes back, they have to move out, etc.

(IMO, he is just including that in the lease so he doesn't look guilty and is actually expecting her to come back alive and well)

(bbm) I think that's what's known as the Snowball's Chance in Haedes Clause.

Congratulations Kiki!
Welcome to the garden of life Lily !
:baby::birthday_party:

I think it was him too. Does anyone know if anyone else in Utah had admin status on the FB page?

Got to admit ITA, and your question is important!
I wonder if there are more friends who are
aggressively disrespectful like moonbeam?

Strange they would have the Van locked up and alarm set parked in the garage in the nice neighborhood they lived in.

Could Susan have ran to the Van to get out knowing the keys were usually left in it since it was in the garage and Josh had gotten the keys earlier and locked the van and set the alarm?

I see nothing strange in locking your vehicle when you are not in it, no matter where it is parked, but I lived most of my life in London where car theft is rife.

Our car automatically locks all the doors except the driver's door when you exit the vehicle, which i personally find very annoying as I often leave things on the back seat and want to get them out, but my wife likes for the extra security.

Does anybody know if there was just one set of keys to the van, and if Josh kept them? His history of controlling behaviour would suggest he kept the keys, but it's also possible there were several sets.

Two minutes seems a long time for an alarm to go off when the owners are clearly within hearing range, but I couldn't count the number of times I've been woken in the small hours by car alarms going off, and the owner is far slower to shut it off than I would be.

It ought to be common practise for neighbours to investigate car alarms, but you never know if you'll get involved in a situation yourself. In a country where almost anybody can own a gun and you might not know about it, I can understand the reluctance to get involved.

The 2-minute alarm (continuous, not interrupted?) does suggest a possible scenario to me. Susan goes for the van saying she is leaving Josh, Josh tries to stop her, fight ensues and alarm is set off, Josh wounds her mortally and tries to drag her back into the house (possibly with the idea of calling for help) but she dies, and he leaves her lying on the living room carpet where she bleeds out. He panics for a while, then decides on trying to clean up and dumping the body because he can't face the music.

Whether Josh killed Susan in the living room, in the garage or elsewhere, I'm still of the opinion that it wasn't premeditated because even he would have a better alibi. He must know that his ludicrous self-contradicting story is focussing suspicion on him, cand he can't talk to anyone about Susan without admitting the story is utter bollox.

He's got himself into a situation and now he's desperately hoping his crime is not discovered, because he can't face the consequences. LE are gathering the evidence, and he's sh*tting bricks.

Josh is suppose to be a computer expert, programmer, designer? well...............ODD

who else but Josh would want to hack info on SUSAN? ODD

and yes I find it extremely ODD to lock a van in a locked garage attached to the house
where they live in UTah..............but then this is a very ODD case.........

He had the nerve to kill his wife and hide her body.

Well, most of us are convinced he killed her, but it may have been unintentional and taken no nerve at all.

Once you've got a dead body on your hands, I'd argue it takes greater strength of character to own up than to try to hide your mistake.

There is hope.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,595081018,00.html

The two homicide convictions in recent Utah history where no body was found include:

# Douglas A. Lovell, who now is on death row and going through a series of appeals. He pleaded guilty in 1993 to aggravated murder of Joyce Yost. Prosecutors believe Lovell killed Yost in 1985 to stop her from testifying against him for previous crimes of aggravated kidnapping, aggravated sexual assault and forcible sodomy.

# Rudy Matthew Rebeterano, who was found guilty of second-degree felony homicide in connection with what prosecutors believe was the 1981 death of Michael Guy Johnston. An eyewitness saw an altercation between the two men, later saw Rebeterano carrying some kind of large bundle to his car, and there was substantial blood in Rebeterano's car trunk and in an apartment. He has since been released from prison and is no longer on parole.

A confession, and an eyewitness. If I were Josh right now, that'd convince me to carry on the pretense and hope Susan's body is never found. He knows there were no eyewitnesses, so as long as he doesn't confess and the body isn't found he's home and dry.

There is something premeditated about slipping someone a sleeping pill in their brunch.

My experience with sleeping pills would be that it's very hard to stay awake and the world doesn't come back until about eight hours later. At that point, I'm not likely to rise and shine a lot, in fact. If at that point it dawned on me that I'd been drugged, I'd know not to say something.

If Josh tried to carry her, he might need a rest by the time he reached the living room. I think she might have been fading in and out of awareness, and might have peed on the carpet. They'd have to take a very large sample in that case, because they'd be looking for traces of drugs at the very edges of the stain.

There is something premeditated about slipping someone a sleeping pill in their brunch.

My experience with sleeping pills would be that it's very hard to stay awake and the world doesn't come back until about eight hours later. At that point, I'm not likely to rise and shine a lot, in fact. If at that point it dawned on me that I'd been drugged, I'd know not to say something.

If Josh tried to carry her, he might need a rest by the time he reached the living room. I think she might have been fading in and out of awareness, and might have peed on the carpet. They'd have to take a very large sample in that case, because they'd be looking for traces of drugs at the very edges of the stain.

But we don't know that he did slip her a sleeping pill, that is just speculation. It is possible to feel tired without having been given a sleeping pill first. Susan saying she was tired may have been a little white lie to get rid of JoVonna...

If he did slip her a pill, then of course that's premeditation, and if they find traces of some drug in her body then it'll be the worse for Josh. A big reason for my not thinking it was pre-meditated is his ludicrous camping story. Surely even Josh could come up with something more believeable if he planned all this in advance?

I don't know Josh, but I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. His actions and behavior say guilty to me, but I'd prefer to think he's guilty of a rash act of violence which resulted in Susan unintended death, not a pre-meditated murder.

I agree that the stain on the carpet, be it blood, vomit or urine, or something else we haven't though of , has got to be significant.

I think it goes w/out saying that there's a huge difference between a courage and strength of character--and the brazen, shameless nerve of somebody who feels they have the right to take another person's life. The former is the result of moral fiber and fortitude; the latter of depravity of empathy, and sheer remorselessness.

It seems evident the brand of 'nerve' required for killing your children's mother in their home, then endeavoring to get away w it is the latter. That has nothing to do w courage but is a weakness (or absence) of conscience, poverty of morality and a defect of heart.

Most bullies are cowards--and JP is no exception.

But we don't know that he did slip her a sleeping pill, that is just speculation. It is possible to feel tired without having been given a sleeping pill first. Susan saying she was tired may have been a little white lie to get rid of JoVonna...

If he did slip her a pill, then of course that's premeditation, and if they find traces of some drug in her body then it'll be the worse for Josh. A big reason for my not thinking it was pre-meditated is his ludicrous camping story. Surely even Josh could come up with something more believeable if he planned all this in advance?

I don't know Josh, but I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. His actions and behavior say guilty to me, but I'd prefer to think he's guilty of a rash act of violence which resulted in Susan unintended death, not a pre-meditated murder.

I agree that the stain on the carpet, be it blood, vomit or urine, or something else we haven't though of , has got to be significant.
You're right. He does seem more of a person who just makes a lot of mistakes and does his best to clean things up. But he's hoping we think this, too.

But we don't know that he did slip her a sleeping pill, that is just speculation. It is possible to feel tired without having been given a sleeping pill first. Susan saying she was tired may have been a little white lie to get rid of JoVonna....

I actually thought this too! That Susan said she was tired so her friend would leave. Sorry if you're reading this JoVonna ...

"Unfortunately, Josh didn't let anybody know what was on the warrant," Graves said. "I'm assuming it was to look for something specific."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700005809/Police-seize-Josh-Powellaposs-van-for-second-time.html

I thought I saw something elsewhere that said they used the same search warrant that they served last time. Aren't search warrants public documents? Have the SLC papers been filing freedom-of-information requests for the warrants?

I thought I saw something elsewhere that said they used the same search warrant that they served last time. Aren't search warrants public documents? Have the SLC papers been filing freedom-of-information requests for the warrants?

IIRC, the warrants have been sealed by the court. I think the newspaper has filed a suit to get them unsealed.

Okay, with the help of Kiirsi...we have finally gotten a floor plan of the Powell home drawn out for you all to sleuth over as much as you want. Hope it helps! :)

floorplanamended.jpg

ETA: Had to amend the first one because there is no wall between the front door entryway area and the front/living room. You just walk in and the living room is right there.

Thanks for the map OK5, do you know the position of the wet spot where the fans were blowing?

This floorplan agrees with what my wife remembers from her occasional visits, but she only ever went in the main living room/kitchen area, so didn't know the layout of the other rooms.

Seems like a very nice house considering Josh filed for bankruptcy in 2007. Plenty of people round here are living in trailers.

Wow! This floor plan brings all of the family dynamics into sharper focus. Thank you for sharing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member