VA - 6-YEAR-OLD in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
VA. def'tn of "Emotionally Disabled" and spec ed.
What about "social maladjustment?"

Was this child labeled "Emotionally Disturbed"? I recall the attorney said he has an "acute disability." Could be the same maybe?
@x_files Could be,IDK. An earlier post using "emotionally disturbed" contained w link to FED LAW.
The VA. def'tn of "emotionally disabled" below tracks w the fed def'tn in earlier link.

In VA. definitions:
"child with a "serious emotional disability" and
"emotional disability."
Concludes that such a child needs "needs special education and related services."
In quickly scanning VA. def's, I did not see "acute disability" or "emotionally disturbed."

Note within def of emo disabled----
"Emotional disability includes schizophrenia. The term does not apply to children who are socially maladjusted, unless it is determined that they have an emotional disability as defined in this section."

Now for your reading pleasure.
"Administrative Code" issued by VA "State Board of Education."*
"Chapter 81. Regulations Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in Virginia"
"8VAC20-81-10. Definitions....
""Child with a disability" means a child evaluated in accordance with the provisions of this chapter as having an intellectual disability,...deafness,... blindness, a serious emotional disability (referred to in this part as "emotional disability"), an orthopedic impairment, autism, traumatic brain injury, an other health impairment, a specific learning disability,... who, by reason thereof, needs special education and related services....If it is determined through an appropriate evaluation that a child has one of the disabilities identified but only needs a related service and not special education, the child is not a child with a disability under this part. If the related service required by the child is considered special education rather than a related service under Virginia standards, the child would be determined to be a child with a disability. (§ 22.1-213 of the Code of Virginia; 34 CFR 300.8(a)(1) and 34 CFR 300.8(a)(2)(i) and (ii))."

And:
""Emotional disability" means a condition exhibiting one or more of the following characteristics over a long period of time and to a marked degree that adversely affects a child's educational performance: (34 CFR 300.8(c)(4))
1. An inability to learn that cannot be explained by intellectual, sensory, or health factors;
2. An inability to build or maintain satisfactory interpersonal relationships with peers and teachers;
3. Inappropriate types of behavior or feelings under normal circumstances;
4. A general pervasive mood of unhappiness or depression; or
5. A tendency to develop physical symptoms or fears associated with personal or school problems.

Emotional disability includes schizophrenia. The term does not apply to children who are socially maladjusted, unless it is determined that they have an emotional disability as defined in this section."

I'm sure I've mentioned this here before, but I grew up in a neighborhood that had (and still has) a residential facility for "emotionally disturbed" children. The higher-functioning kids went to regular school with us, and much of the time, it wasn't obvious at first that this was where they were from, except for one thing: No matter how intelligent they were, they were almost always performing at several grade levels behind where they should have - for example, a 5th grader still learning how to add single-digit numbers. Most of them had been in the foster care system (and this was in the 1970s) but there are two who really stand out, a boy and a girl, who I now believe were on the autistic spectrum.

A Virginia teacher who was shot and wounded in her first-grade classroom by a 6-year-old student was honored Wednesday by the state Senate for her “heroic actions” in hustling students to safety despite having life-threatening injuries.

Zwerner, 25, stood with her twin sister, brother and mother as she was given a framed resolution commending her for her devotion to the safety of her students after the shooting at Richneck Elementary School in Newport News on Jan. 6.

The attorney wrote in a statement, saying, "It is disturbing that NNPS is hindering our clients’ lawful efforts to uncover the truth of what happened at Richneck Elementary School. Our clients have requested access to their child’s education records pursuant to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”). Among the records sought are documents relating to administrators' failure to appropriately and effectively address the parents' numerous pleas concerning the dangerous environment at Richneck Elementary."
He said because school employees have not responded to his request and follow-up emails, he filed a formal complaint with the United States Department of Education (DOE).

More Newport News teachers are speaking up about concerns within the school division.
The president of the education association formed a tipline following the shooting at Richneck Elementary School, where a 6-year-old shot his first-grade teacher.
"Since the lawsuit has been filed, there have been a lot of tipline concerns," said Newport News Education President James Graves.

Here is the dashboard for the Newport News PD and it shows 2 active warrants for Deja Taylor. Does anyone know why that would be-/ maybe a separate warrant for each charge? I really hope she does turn herself in peacefully.

Yes, separate warrant for each charge.

This link gives you the charges, Circuit - Newport News - Criminal - Name- Click on charges

CR23000463-01TAYLOR, DEJA NICOLEABUSE CHILD, DISREGARD LIFE04/10/2023Fugitive
CR23000463-02TAYLOR, DEJA NICOLELEAVE GUN LOADED, ENDANG <14YR04/10/2023Fugitive

Atty's stmt: "...administrators' failure to appropriately and effectively address [six y/o's] parents' numerous pleas concerning the dangerous environment at Richneck Elementary."*(sbm)

The most dangerous element at that school was their 6 y/o.
With or without a gun.
imo, icbw.

@Simply Southern Thanks for your post w link.
Article & atty stmt below, sbm.

... The attorney... "Our clients have requested access to ...records ... administrators' failure to appropriately and effectively address the parents' numerous pleas concerning the dangerous environment at Richneck Elementary."

Last edited:
Atty's stmt: "...administrators' failure to appropriately and effectively address [six y/o's] parents' numerous pleas concerning the dangerous environment at Richneck Elementary."*(sbm)

The most dangerous element at that school was their 6 y/o.
With or without a gun.
imo, icbw.

@Simply Southern Thanks for your post w link.
Article & atty stmt below, sbm.
BBM, at first I thought this was regarding the six year old shooter. In reading the documents at the linked article, a letter from the attorney to the school superintendent states he represents the parents of a DAUGHTER (page 28) who has been bullied and whose parents have been trying to get the school to address the issue. They have been attempting to get records and have been stonewalled. Page 27 regards the fact that another student shot a teacher and as result their child's personally identifying information was released thru negligence in a media FOIA request.

If I were these parents I might be pretty pizzed too. If my kid is being bullied and assaulted I would want action and if I didn't get it and a shooting subsequently occurred my lawyer would be all over it. JMO

These are not the shooter's parents. MOO.

Case Number:
CR23000463-01
Filed:
03/27/2023
Commenced by:
Direct Indictment
Locality:
COMMONWEALTH OF VA
Defendant:
TAYLOR, DEJA NICOLE
Sex:
Female
Race:
Black
DOB:
08/06/****
Address:
NEWPORT NEWS, VA 23608
Charge:
ABUSE CHILD, DISREGARD LIFE
Code Section:
18.2-371.1
Charge Type:
Felony
Class:
Offense Date:
01/06/2023
Arrest Date:
Case Number:
CR23000463-02
Filed:
03/27/2023
Commenced by:
Direct Indictment
Locality:
COMMONWEALTH OF VA
Defendant:
TAYLOR, DEJA NICOLE
Sex:
Female
Race:
Black
DOB:
08/06/****
Address:
Charge:
LEAVE GUN LOADED, ENDANG <14YR
Code Section:
18.2-56.2
Charge Type:
Misdemeanor
Class:
Offense Date:
01/06/2023
Arrest Date:
Virginia Court Case Information

Boy, oh, boy, is my face red.
BBM, at first I thought this was regarding the six year old shooter. In reading the documents at the linked article, a letter from the attorney to the school superintendent states he represents the parents of a DAUGHTER (page 28) who has been bullied and whose parents have been trying to get the school to address the issue....
These are not the shooter's parents. MOO.
@tlcya
Thank you so much for posting to correct my mistaken post, which attributed this atty's stmt to 6 y/o shooter's Mother's atty Ellenson.
Very sorry for this goof on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member