VA - 6-YEAR-OLD in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the mom is back to her old strategies of downplaying her son's issues and blaming everyone else for his behaviour. I mean, ma'am, your son almost killed his teacher, it's time to wake up, smell the coffee and stop pretending he is a little midunderstood angel. And his issues are much, much more than the untreated ADHD (by the way, how does she know it is ADHD? She refused to get him diagnosed, right?). The often premeditated violence he displayed is absolutely not a symptom of an attention disorder. From my teaching experience I can say it is rather a result of not putting any limits or boundaries for the child at home, vehemently and blindly defending the child when he misbehaves outside, bad, violence glorifying behaviour models at home and giving the child unlimited and unmonitored access to the media.

bbm and in agreement with each & every phrase.

Your based-on-experience analysis matches mine, @Hexe !

jmho ymmv lrr

It's actually really insulting. I really hope someone comes out strongly and holds her to task. It is unacceptable to minimize and normalize this really shocking behavior.

And make her son appear like a victim, justifying and minimize his actions. He may be six years old, but he was the perpetrator in this situation, not a victim.

And make her son appear like a victim, justifying and minimize his actions. He may be six years old, but he was the perpetrator in this situation, not a victim.
I agree with you. I’m not excusing what this kid did at all, but I have special needs too, same thing that this kid has. Extremely severe ADHD. Expelled from preschool for my behavior. I did some twisted stuff. I got suspended in kindergarten for slipping a thumb tack pointy side up onto the floor by a puddle of water I spilled on the ground. A kid slipped on the puddle and the thumb tack rammed into his hand. I poked my bully in self defense with a pen and gave him permanent vision loss. I do think this kid shouldn’t be charged. He’s six. But I do think that his mother failed him big time. He needs serious counseling. He’s too dangerous to be in a regular environment. He needs to be on some serious medication. As much as you can give a 6 year old for ADHD. He needs to have a one on one paraprofessional with him at all times if he goes to a mainstream school. And @Hexe, I have ADHD and I can tell you that ADHD is not just an attention disorder. It does cause hyperactivity, impulsive behaviors and issues with boundaries. Of course those can be treated.

And @Hexe, I have ADHD and I can tell you that ADHD is not just an attention disorder. It does cause hyperactivity, impulsive behaviors and issues with boundaries. Of course those can be treated.

The problem here is the violence done by this kid does not seem to be impulsive. He took the gun from his home, smuggled it to the classroom, threatened other kids who saw it to keep them silent, got the weapon out in a convenient moment and shot Abby. That's a lot of calculation for a six years old, let alone for a kid with hardcore ADHD. That's not all, during his previous outbursts of violence that violence did not seem to be blind, it seemed to be directed to cause maximal harm. Kicking pregnant teacher in the abdomen, strangling another, this kid, as horrible it sounds, was focused on harming his victims as much as possible. None of the above is typical for ADHD.

The problem here is the violence done by this kid does not seem to be impulsive. He took the gun from his home, smuggled it to the classroom, threatened other kids who saw it to keep them silent, got the weapon out in a convenient moment and shot Abby. That's a lot of calculation for a six years old, let alone for a kid with hardcore ADHD. That's not all, during his previous outbursts of violence that violence did not seem to be blind, it seemed to be directed to cause maximal harm. Kicking pregnant teacher in the abdomen, strangling another, this kid, as horrible it sounds, was focused on harming his victims as much as possible. None of the above is typical for ADHD.

In my lengthy experience as an educator, the ADHD child is the one most likely to be injured.

They can assess the distance between the shelves of the book rack as steps -- but don't comprehend that the tall item will tip over once their weight passes the midpoint. Just an example.

I caught him, BTW and the bookshelf was anchored with a webbing strap. The books made a rather messy pile on the floor.

jmpe ymmv lrr

I’m posting the link to this article because I find it very interesting that a local school board is fed up with a violent, dispruptive student who is a danger to others. It will be interesting to see how the case plays out. It could set a precedent for future cases I believe.

I think that for most of us, the consensus is NOT ADHD. I am going with psychopathy. I would be interested if he has any family members who are incarcerated.
For starters, we haven't heard much about the boy's father. It's never been made clear how much interaction there was between father and son. Why is the boy now in the custody of a great-grandparent rather than his father? I didn't watch the interview with the mother and don't know if these issues were addressed. Seems to me that there are some glaring gaps in this saga. JMO

I’m posting the link to this article because I find it very interesting that a local school board is fed up with a violent, dispruptive student who is a danger to others. It will be interesting to see how the case plays out. It could set a precedent for future cases I believe.

Interesting indeed. ^^^

I might add that for unruly behavior that continues... it's hardly fair to the students who are not disruptive and want to learn !
Imo.

For starters, we haven't heard much about the boy's father. It's never been made clear how much interaction there was between father and son. Why is the boy now in the custody of a great-grandparent rather than his father? I didn't watch the interview with the mother and don't know if these issues were addressed. Seems to me that there are some glaring gaps in this saga. JMO
Good points regarding the father and the grandfather. ^^^

Why is the great grandpa tasked with caring for this child , and what happens when he is older and stronger ?
Etc.
M00.

I agree. Source: I have ADHD too. As a child I was very similar to this boy. Got kicked out of preschool for my behavior. Diagnosed with severe ADHD in kindergarten. I’m a high schooler now.
Curious if any one other than family has confirmed this little boy's diagnosis? I understand rightful legal health privacy issues. No judgement. If I missed a post about this I apologize. My late little niece was adopted, FAS, and was kicked out of a couple schools and the school bus and had some wild behaviour. She was also thought, not confirmed to my knowledge, to have ADHD. That seems imo to often be assumed, rather than confirmed. Jmo

IMHO, this student’s behavior is more indicative of Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) than ADHD.

Children with ODD are uncooperative, defiant, and hostile toward peers, parents, teachers, and other authority figures. They are more troubling to others than they are to themselves.

Symptoms of ODD may include:
  • Having frequent temper tantrums
  • Arguing a lot with adults
  • Refusing to do what an adult asks
  • Always questioning rules and refusing to follow rules
  • Doing things to annoy or upset others, including adults
  • Blaming others for the child’s own misbehaviors or mistakes
  • Being easily annoyed by others
  • Often having an angry attitude
  • Speaking harshly or unkindly
  • Seeking revenge or being vindictive

Upthread, the topic of a rabbit hole was discussed. Posters went down a rabbit whole, indeed.

Of course social media changes, can be taken down, set to Private.

Some people post videos of playing violent, misogynist video games with a young child & adult friends.

Material from this rabbit hole has been used by prosecutors in court.

Walking the tightrope & all.

jmho ymmv lrr

Upthread, the topic of a rabbit hole was discussed. Posters went down a rabbit whole, indeed.

Of course social media changes, can be taken down, set to Private.

Some people post videos of playing violent, misogynist video games with a young child & adult friends.

Material from this rabbit hole has been used by prosecutors in court.

Walking the tightrope & all.

jmho ymmv lrr

Speaking of court. Does anyone know if VA allows media/cameras at trials? And, would a bench trial be covered by media if so?

PS... @Laughing ...do you have any double sided sticky tape I can borrow, for tightrope walking? I have been failing lately... ;)

Curious if any one other than family has confirmed this little boy's diagnosis? I understand rightful legal health privacy issues. No judgement. If I missed a post about this I apologize. My late little niece was adopted, FAS, and was kicked out of a couple schools and the school bus and had some wild behaviour. She was also thought, not confirmed to my knowledge, to have ADHD. That seems imo to often be assumed, rather than confirmed. Jmo
I have FAS too. Both disorders diagnosed in my case.

Per the defendant's response to the lawsuit (linked up thread):

As a young first grader who had recently started being evaluated and treated for possible ADHD, John Doe received special alterations to his class instruction setting by way of a modified hours schedule and curriculum and requiring parental presence. His evaluation as to a formal classification had not yet been made, but a Student Support Team (“SST”), which is created to provide a support system for students struggling with academic and behavioral progress, had been formed at Richneck. If found to need additional services, numerous Federal and Virginia laws would have required the Newport News School system to provide further accommodation.

Per the defendant's response to the lawsuit (linked up thread):

As a young first grader who had recently started being evaluated and treated for possible ADHD, John Doe received special alterations to his class instruction setting by way of a modified hours schedule and curriculum and requiring parental presence. His evaluation as to a formal classification had not yet been made, but a Student Support Team (“SST”), which is created to provide a support system for students struggling with academic and behavioral progress, had been formed at Richneck. If found to need additional services, numerous Federal and Virginia laws would have required the Newport News School system to provide further accommodation.
I know we have been there before but this doesn't make sense. It sounds like he has not been evaluated by the Student Support Team (which must be the same as what is called a Child Study Team elsewhere?). Without that evaluation, he has no access to special services. A child with this kind of history would normally be referred for an evaluation as soon as the need for one becomes obvious. And that clearly happened in Kindergarten already. So the question is why not. Either the mother must have refused or the school district is trying to save money and avoided an evaluation which likely would led to the boy requiring extensive (costly) services.
That would also raise the question if the school district was negligent in either avoiding an evaluation or letting the kid continue in regular school with the mother refusing an evaluation. I wonder what the due process is when parents refuse an evaluation. Is the school district obliged to keep the child on?

I know we have been there before but this doesn't make sense. It sounds like he has not been evaluated by the Student Support Team (which must be the same as what is called a Child Study Team elsewhere?). Without that evaluation, he has no access to special services. A child with this kind of history would normally be referred for an evaluation as soon as the need for one becomes obvious. And that clearly happened in Kindergarten already. So the question is why not. Either the mother must have refused or the school district is trying to save money and avoided an evaluation which likely would led to the boy requiring extensive (costly) services.
That would also raise the question if the school district was negligent in either avoiding an evaluation or letting the kid continue in regular school with the mother refusing an evaluation. I wonder what the due process is when parents refuse an evaluation. Is the school district obliged to keep the child on?

When a parent refuses services, ultimately, it is a team decision. If the team moves forward, the parent can force their issue by going to court.

In general, when a parent is non compliant with district/team recommendations it is usually because the parent is either in denial about the extent of the disability or too overwhelmed to participate in the meeting.

It is a strange position for a special education provider, I am not an advocate or a gatekeeper. My job is assessment, and as a subject matter expert, give my recommendations for services. However, as a school district employee, I also don't recommend that every child referred for services gets a smorgasbord of services. In my career, I have twice recommended more than usual services, no one even blinked.

When a parent refuses services, ultimately, it is a team decision. If the team moves forward, the parent can force their issue by going to court.

In general, when a parent is non compliant with district/team recommendations it is usually because the parent is either in denial about the extent of the disability or too overwhelmed to participate in the meeting.

It is a strange position for a special education provider, I am not an advocate or a gatekeeper. My job is assessment, and as a subject matter expert, give my recommendations for services. However, as a school district employee, I also don't recommend that every child referred for services gets a smorgasbord of services. In my career, I have twice recommended more than usual services, no one even blinked.
That's really helpful, thank you. So the team could go ahead without the parents and the parent could then take action to stop them (unlikely to happen if they are too overwhelmed).
As an aside, one of my children has an IEP and the child study team are amazing and I feel they have the best interests of my child at heart. You guys are such a help and support.
So this poor kid (regardless of everything, he is a poor, let down kid) wasn't getting services and instead had a guardian with him in the classroom until just before the shooting. I live in a school district that has a very wealthy part of town and those guys will spend 8k on a private evaluation and then lawyer up to force the school district to offer more and more and more services. It's sick.

Sometimes, it is easier to provide more services than a child needs, than constantly battle parents. After all, the goal is to provide the services needed for success.

Other times, parents want so much, it doesn't make sense to give in to their demands.

But, in an almost 40 year career in education, I have never seen parents on a plan to attend school with their child. That, in and of itself, is an anomaly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rwiz