VA - 6-YEAR-OLD in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coreen Silverman said because we've heard from Abby Zwerner's and the school board's attorneys, she wants more people to know Parker's side of the story.
Pamela Branch, the attorney representing former Richneck Elementary School Principal, Briana Foster-Newton, said her client was not made aware of any threats or concerns about a gun on school grounds that day. Branch said she plans to file a countersuit to Zwerner's $40 million lawsuit.

Coreen Silverman said because we've heard from Abby Zwerner's and the school board's attorneys, she wants more people to know Parker's side of the story.
Pamela Branch, the attorney representing former Richneck Elementary School Principal, Briana Foster-Newton, said her client was not made aware of any threats or concerns about a gun on school grounds that day. Branch said she plans to file a countersuit to Zwerner's $40 million lawsuit.

LOL It sounds a little like the " The gun was secure" defense, which came from the boy's family attorney.

Denial much? But, sure you go ahead and counter sue...

LOL It sounds a little like the " The gun was secure" defense, which came from the boy's family attorney.

Denial much? But, sure you go ahead and counter sue...

Not to muddy the water here, but I came across this case today, another six year old who took a gun to school, fortunately, no one was injured, but his parents had the gun secured in a gun safe with a "biometric" lock, based on the parent's fingerprint.

The gun safe was purchased on Amazon, manufactured in China. Comments on Amazon range from "all toes and fingers will unlock safe", to "safe unlocks for anyone".

The parent thought the gun was secure. Scary!

So, a counter-suit is being used in order for more people to know Parker's side of the story?? Why doesn't Parker or her attorney just speak... explain it all to us people.

So, a counter-suit is being used in order for more people to know Parker's side of the story?? Why doesn't Parker or her attorney just speak... explain it all to us people.

One of the primary duties of the school Principal's job is security, and safety of the children, staff, and school property. That means threat assessment and management of anything that could endanger students, staff, and property.

Fail.

One of the primary duties of the school Principal's job is security, and safety of the children, staff, and school property. That means threat assessment and management of anything that could endanger students, staff, and property.

Fail.

Exactly. I'd like to see this "Parker-side" counter suit document.

i see you all very focused on the mother..and not if there are any actual ways or solutions for very young violent children ?
they dont disappear if you put the mother in prison..

We haven’t a clue what happened to this boy when he was at home.
What we do know is he was violent to peers at school, got a gun from the home where he lived with his mother, took that gun to school and shot his teacher.
The mother has stated that the gun was hers.

We can assume that gun was accessible and also was loaded- because a six year old got it and shot someone- so it had a bullet in it.

Exactly who else would be the responsible party here, if not the mother?

JMO

What in the world can she due AZ for? Certainly not being shot.
Moo..

Anyone can sue anyone, the idiocy lies in the attorney that took the case… or the rest of us who think there is no case here when there may be.

Now let’s imagine that there is a case, and heaven forbid AZ loses and has to pay $ to the mother of a boy who shot her.
Oh my, anyone who teaches children, or is thinking about teaching children needs to rethink their occupation.
If a woman who teaches kids can be sued by the mother of a child who shot her, and could suffer an loss…our legal system and system of justice is broken.

My thoughts? It is a bluff, the attorney thinks he can push the 23 yr old teacher into settling out of court? My guess is he is very wrong, and public opinion is on AZ’s side. If money exchanges hands it should be from the school admin to AZ And from the boy’s mother to pay for any court costs to defend herself against a law suit!

I predict the only winner will be the attorneys.
I doubt AZ will get a dime from the school

JMO

Last edited:

Fail.

A school principal is not ‘in charge’ of security, nor is a principal responsible for threat assessment or hired to manage ’anything that could endanger students, staff, and property’.
The principal is hired to follow district policy, they do not write district policy.
It is the school board, or board of trusties, the superintendent and other admin above the site principal who actually write and approve district policy.
So long as the principal followed policy- they are in the clear.

So then ask yourself if a district has a policy in place for a 6 yr old student who is violent to students and adults, and for dealing with a 6 yr old student with a gun.
My guess- there is NO such policy for this elementary school and as of Jan 2023 most elementary schools across the nation Did not have such a policy.
As of May 2023, my guess is some schools have written such policy.

Why would any district write such a policy when the odds of such an event happening are nearly zero?

When people are hired to follow protocols rather than use their own prudent judgement, this is what happens IMO. Rarely do districts hire thinkers, people with good judgement and let them do their jobs, most districts instead hire people who are on a political path and are rule followers.

JMO having worked in education for about 35 years

Last edited:
Attorneys representing the former assistant principal of Richneck Elementary School are asking a judge to dismiss the lawsuit filed against her and other educators by a teacher who was shot by a 6-year-old student. The attorneys argue that the teacher was shot in the course of doing her job, so her injuries should be covered by Virginia’s Workers’ Compensation Act.

Attorneys representing the former assistant principal of Richneck Elementary School are asking a judge to dismiss the lawsuit filed against her and other educators by a teacher who was shot by a 6-year-old student. The attorneys argue that the teacher was shot in the course of doing her job, so her injuries should be covered by Virginia’s Workers’ Compensation Act.

These people are nutters. jmo

I have FAS too. Both disorders diagnosed in my case.
So very sorry to hear, my late niece in addition to FAS had CF, which ended her, she also had what doctors called sexually precocious behavior, her Mom lived on the street, an addict and we have no idea what our little niece was subjected to until she went into foster with my SIL. Hope you are doing well Emilia. (((Emilia)))

The school district is not going to willingly accept any responsibility. Will this fall under workers comp? Maybe. But I think there are enough egregious actions and inactions to get outside WC. But a government entity can still come forward and say it blew it, it will work with work comp to see what is covered and then go beyond that to help out. But that requires actual leadership from government. That seems rare these days. To claim that kids with guns (elementary kids) is just part of being a teacher these days is insane. What they need to say is, well having totally incompetent and corrupt administrators is just part of being a teacher now days, so......."
Unfortunately, our country has pretty much said this already.

Just watched the interview. They know exactly how that child got that gun. If he was doing well at the school he was sent to last year, I wonder why mom didn't insist that he remain there? I also question why he missed so many days of prek and k. I don't believe that charges are racially motivated AND I don't think that the issue has been blown up as great grand dad suggests. I also don't feel his apology is sincere. It seems like they want to blame the school for the child being there. Detectives listened to her excuse about the gun, searched the home, and investigated before deciding she needed to be charged. I believe Deja really loves her child. Yet she struggles to accept the full effects of his disability. She said he can never sit still. I'm not sure what effect his medication was having, but a teacher trying to manage 1 student who can't sit still, has to do it at the expense of all the other students. Here lies a big problem. Constant redirection and attending to this student's behaviors, in my opinion, had to be extremely exhausting and determental to the other kids' learning. If he talked about being ignored all week he surely, imo, smashed her phone in anger. I feel that until the family truly accepts responsibility for what has happened, admit the truth, and truly work with the experts to ensure this child gets the best help he can, in the most appropriate environment, little progress will be made.
The mom describes his behavior as not wanting to sit still. Obviously, this kiddo had much bigger problems than that in a classroom environment. Often, parents don't see how different conduct or behavioral problems manifest in school settings because the demands are so different at home. Teachers can't just let a kiddo play video games or watch TV for hours on end when there is a bad day.

It is not typical that a school plan requires a parent to attend school with a child. This suggests to me that the usual discussions and procedures were not taking place with the parents for whatever reason. I'm completely sure that they were in denial about his actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rwiz