VA- 6-YEAR-OLD is in custody after shooting teacher

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because a student may not be ' white, straight, neurotypical, etc' it does not mean that they shouldn't have to follow basic classroom rules, which are designed to make it possible for everyone to learn together in class.

I have seen many times, students and parents who think that their special attributes or circumstances should mean thAt they don't need to sit down, be quiet, listen to the teacher and follow instructions. Sometimes they say 'we can't focus or concentrate so we want to be allowed to do our own thing while the rest of the class is reading or studying or listening to the lecture. Parents will say 'let my child listen to headphones or work on their tablet' or draw while the class does something else. But then the students may begin being disruptive by standing or walking around, talking while others are studying, etc. How is that fair or beneficial to the rest of the class? Or even beneficial to the student in the long run?

It has nothing to do with race or gender etc, it has to do with learning to follow basic instructions and cooperate with others. It is not being 'used against others' if those others are acting disruptive and volatile. It is being done to protect the remaining students who are there to learn how to be successful students and future citizens.

Bottom line, If a child picks up a chair and throws it at a teacher, sorry, but they need to receive some serious help, which is more than a regular mainstream classroom can offer, IMO.

Best post I've read in a long, long time !

In my opinion, it seems many adults (teens and children) in our society seem unwilling, resentful and actively resistant to "following basic instructions and cooperating with others". This "anti" behavior is wrong and it's killing us all!

Mollycoddling needs to stop.

Best post I've read in a long, long time !

In my opinion, it seems many adults (teens and children) in our society seem unwilling, resentful and actively resistant to "following basic instructions and cooperating with others". This "anti" behavior is wrong and it's killing us all!

Mollycoddling needs to stop.
Speaking of mollycoddling, why have the 6-year-old shooter and his family been treated with kid gloves?

to put your hands on a student, as a teacher, is very touchy territory
I'm sure of high professional risk, in touching a child.

How are teachers instructed to response, if one child is attacking/violent to another?

Do teachers still send children to the office? Of so, who accompany? Why happens, if they refuse to go?

The whole lack of discipline for violence/bullying directive, is fairly new to me. Our family encountered this last year, when grandson (6th) and two others were cut on the back of their necks, while at lockers. The SRO and school administrative assistant ( secretary) interviewed the three children. Parents were NOT notified. Luckily it was near day end. When GS was picked up, his dad was furious. While in the ER for stitches, he contacted the school. They told him, they would NOT contact LE, and it wasn't bad enough to call his parents. We went all the way to the SB and were told, this was not a punishable offense, the child had home problems causing his violent behavior and we could transfer to another district. This was NOT his first physical assault on another child. We contacted the VDE and were told policy decisions were up to the schiol board and they have no authority to intervene. Yeap, so he moved to a wonderful district. We drive 25 miles each way, best decision ever made.

We have one left in this school system, graduates this year. We pray for her safety daily.

All my opinion....

A big part of the problem with using 'wilful defiance' as a cause for punishment, though, is it gets disproportionately used against kids who aren't white, straight, neurotypical, etc. It's got a bad record of being used against those who are outsiders because of who they are, not how they're acting.

MOO
I agree. Punishment in schools (and frankly in the home) can be unfair and problematic based on many different tangibles. I agree that before a suspension...alot of investigation needs to be done.

Yet, restorative justice and equity (programs for which I have seen no peer reviewed studies proving positive outcomes) have given us extreme behavioral or emotionally disturbed children in the classroom. It has given us the merit scholarship situation in Virginia, which is extremely problematic. It has created a classroom where the child with issues is counseled and placated after an outburst of violence while the rest of the classroom is evacuated. Classrooms, even in very early grades, now see their teacher verbally and physically attacked....and they also see that same child be immediately returned to the classroom. Surely these children are afraid (as they should be)? Surely this causes confusion about acceptable behaviors? What are these children learning about acceptable behaviors? What exactly is a behavioral child learning by this process? This child shot his teacher after multiple issues within a two year period. There are other children just like him out there that just didn't bring in a gun (yet). There are other teachers just like this one begging for help only to be forced to counsel and talk to the child with issues.

I would certainly hope that any program attempting to right some wrongs or offer support to children at risk wasn't created with no concern for the majority of the other children or the teacher. I would certainly hope that we never planned that instead of lifting at risk children up, we would lower behavioral and educational standards for children with no issues...so there is equity? I would hope that was not the intent with these programs...but I suggest it's a very visible side effect.

We threw the baby out with the bathwater, Imho.

I would certainly hope that any program attempting to right some wrongs or offer support to children at risk wasn't created with no concern for the majority of the other children or the teacher. I would certainly hope that we never planned that instead of lifting at risk children up, we would lower behavioral and educational standards for children with no issues...so there is equity? I would hope that was not the intent with these programs...but I suggest it's a very visible side effect.

We threw the baby out with the bathwater, Imho.
That's exactly what has happen in many VA school districts. I see daily articles from NOVA, Richmond, Hampton Roads, Petersburg, guns, lock downs, threats, shooting at events/parking lots. I am so fearful for all our children.
My grandchildren live in a district you describe, thankfully 2 have moved to my district.

I am fortunate to live in a small county that doesn't operate this way. People regularly attend the school board meeting, sometimes yelling/disagreeing, making headlines, fighting over how to spend money, but all with our children at heart. They have strict policies against bullying, threats, weapons, and sexual content. Kids are suspended, some for the entire year, weapon incidents always involve charges and suspension. So far the SB has NOT been sued, NO government agency has fined or sited us, we received several state awards. Yes, we have parent complaints, but our SB backs good teachers.
Both GKids are loving the calmness, have learned so much more, have lots of friends and feel safe.

I see these same traits in other small rural school districts. The citizens are more involved. Lets face it, if you get in trouble at school in a small community your momma and daddy hear about it real quick.

All my humble opinion

How are teachers instructed to response, if one child is attacking/violent to another?

Do teachers still send children to the office? Of so, who accompany? Why happens, if they refuse to go?

The whole lack of discipline for violence/bullying directive, is fairly new to me. Our family encountered this last year, when grandson (6th) and two others were cut on the back of their necks, while at lockers. The SRO and school administrative assistant ( secretary) interviewed the three children. Parents were NOT notified. Luckily it was near day end. When GS was picked up, his dad was furious. While in the ER for stitches, he contacted the school. They told him, they would NOT contact LE, and it wasn't bad enough to call his parents. We went all the way to the SB and were told, this was not a punishable offense, the child had home problems causing his violent behavior and we could transfer to another district. This was NOT his first physical assault on another child. We contacted the VDE and were told policy decisions were up to the schiol board and they have no authority to intervene. Yeap, so he moved to a wonderful district. We drive 25 miles each way, best decision ever made.

We have one left in this school system, graduates this year. We pray for her safety daily.

All my opinion....

Right. Once a violent act occurs and it is clear that the district won't (or can't by law or currently adopted district programs) do anything pro-actively to address the occurrence...a parent has little choice. Change schools, homeschool...or send your child back and hope for the best. People with money can do it. People who live in a school choice area can do it. Sadly, working class poor people who have no access to school choice are screwed. Smh.

Interesting that the district suggested that the child who was assaulted (your grandchild) should transfer. I believe that was the same advice given to the mom of the little girl who was beat on the bus. IMHO.

(And if your child ends up dead after being assaulted, perhaps the superintendent can degrade your family publicly. Ugh.)

Last edited:
Absolutely! But if as a teacher i tried to handle a student i would be in big trouble. We were always told not to put our hands on anyone and find someone else, security guard, etc. This is, of course, often impossible...

Exactly. A teacher has very few viable options when things like this happen.

I often wonder if this shooting did not occur, and staff found the gun after a search, would staff have had repercussions for the search? I think they might ...imho

Right. Once a violent act occurs and it is clear that the district won't (or can't by law or currently adopted district programs) do anything pro-actively to address the occurrence...a parent has little choice. Change schools, homeschool...or send your child back and hope for the best. People with money can do it. People who live in a school choice area can do it. Sadly, working class poor people who have no access to school choice are screwed. Smh.

Interesting that the district suggested that the child who was assaulted should transfer. I believe that was the same advice given you the mom of the little girl who was beat on the bus. IMHO.

(And if your child ends up dead after being assaulted, perhaps the superintendent can degrade your family publicly. Ugh.)
Yes, its the poor that suffer, no transportation, maybe no one to fight the fight for them. Teacher leave due to hopelessness and now fear. I worry about the kids and teachers in these districts, the kids are our future.

Since the City district gravitated to no discipline, enrollment is down 30%/4 years. Long term teacher have jumped ship to the County. Its so sad. They are left with the poorer student, newer teachers, and a number of non certified teachers. This system is know to have teachers work their entire career, no more.

Only parents, voting citizens can fix this. Some vote in the same members, with no change, year after year.,

I often wonder if this shooting did not occur, and staff found the gun after a search, would staff have had repercussions for the search? I think they might ...imho
I also wonder if the school year would have proceeded status quo?

No doubt in my mind, someone would of been reprimanded. After 4 attempts, I'm sure they were afraid to cross the line with
Ms Parker. Moo...

Moo...I believe the SB and Admin blame AZ. I also think NOTHING has changed nor will change.

It was crystal clear, yesterday when I watched the video from the foundation retracting the money from Richneck. The NN SB is not an organization with high morals.

I wish our state had control of SBs.

The gun was NOT SECURE. ( IMO)
A six year old had it in his hands, and shot his teacher...with purpose, in front of the entire classroom of six year olds.

WHERE are the charges?
Agreed !
<modsnip: opinion stated as fact>
This is infuriating.

I hope Abby Zwern is continuing to recover.
This tragedy could end her teaching career due to the inability to get help from the admin. even in the most dire and proven to be dangerous situations.
There were multiple red flags.
Imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure we all want to know the answer to that one.

jmo
Guessing here .... someone(s) on the highest level in the inside of the school, aka admin., knows them personally ?
I'd like to think that's not the case -- because then other teachers, not just at this school but elsewhere, could be at risk !

Speaking of mollycoddling, why have the 6-year-old shooter and his family been treated with kid gloves?
I've said this before and will again, but I suspect it's because he's in the foster care system. Anonymity and confidentiality are very strongly enforced with these children and their families.

All my opinion....
I hope the school at least paid the medical bills.

At least where I live, if you threaten to go to the media, that will get a ball rolling. You do need to be prepared to actually do it.

Wanted to posted a positive school story. This is how a school should operate.

On January 31, a student at Auburn Middle School started choking when Deputy Steven Parks jumped into action. His next life-saving actions included performing the Heimlich maneuver and administering CPR.
Our Board has long supported having school resource officers in Montgomery County Public Schools. Deputy Parks has highlighted yet another reason for the importance of having SROs in our schools. His training and dedication to his profession saved a child’s life,” said Blevins.

Deputy Parks said he was simply doing his job just like any other day.

“I’m here in the school with these kids every day. I look after them and am willing to do what it takes to protect them,” he said.

Especially when this mom got arrested immediately after her 6 year old son brought a gun and bullets to school:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseDreams